ROHR Praises CHAN Eagles....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
ROHR Praises CHAN Eagles....

Post by Enugu II »

Rohr full of praise for Nigeria despite defeat in CHAN final
http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42949398
By Oluwashina Okeleji
BBC Sport, Casablanca

Gernot Rohr, coach of Nigeria's Super Eagles, was in Casablanca to watch the CHAN final
Nigeria's full national manager Gernot Rohr has praised the Super Eagles B side's performance despite a 4-0 defeat by hosts Morocco in the African Nations Championship (CHAN) final.

Rohr's assistant Salisu Yusuf led the West African country to their best-ever finish at the tournament for locally-based players on Sunday.

Rohr, who closely followed the performance from the stands as he looks to finalise his squad for the 2018 World Cup in Russia, refused to fault the negative outcome of the final.

"Personally, I think there were lots of positives out there, far more than what people expected from the team," Rohr told BBC Sport in Casablanca.

"For the group it is good for them at this level, the players can also be proud of what they have done here in Morocco."

Nigeria finished third in 2014 and were knocked out of the last tournament in Rwanda at the group stage so Rohr believes the result in Morocco is huge progress.

"You don't define the overall performance based with the final result, they reached this stage against all odds and deserve nothing but our praise and support," said Rohr.

Critics had roundly criticised the team performance and most notably, coach Yusuf's selections in the build up to the final, but Rohr wants to shift focus to the positives.

"I've been really impressed and see this as big progress for us," he added.

"When everyone looks back, they will be satisfied with the exposure, results, and the incredible performance of the team."
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: ROHR Praises CHAN Eagles....

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

They did well indeed. :clap: :clap: :clap:
OCCUPY NFF!!
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

No one can argue against the fact that our local teams are clearly improving in this tournament.

First we finished 3rd in 2014
Then we got knocked out in the group stages of the last tournament.
Now we finish 2nd in 2018, to the host nation.

Clear progress. The NFF, coaching team and players should be commended.

Are there things that need to be improved, absolutely!
But Lagos was not built in a day, and neither will success.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

Rohr is being very diplomatic... at least he doesnt want to offend his assistant coaches.. But the team did well except for the final game..
afc##
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

How’s he being diplomatic? You should know that we conquered all odds by even reaching the finals among all the teams involved from the initial stage to the actual Chan. The boys deserves some commendation for even reaching the finals and with the right encouragement, support maybe they will win the next one. However, I couldn’t find anyone on that team that’s presently an upgrade to super eagles
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

john12 wrote:How’s he being diplomatic? You should know that we conquered all odds by even reaching the finals among all the teams involved from the initial stage to the actual Chan. The boys deserves some commendation for even reaching the finals and with the right encouragement, support maybe they will win the next one. However, I couldn’t find anyone on that team that’s presently an upgrade to super eagles
I dont think that is the goal of CHAN, at least not in Nigeria's case where we have so many pros playing outside of the country.
For me, the goal is really to highlight our local league, and compare our league relative to other leagues in Africa.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Sir V
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sir V »

I hear the average age of the CHAN eagles is 26/27. Na true?
"If winning isn't important, why do we spend all that money on scoreboards?“ --Chuck Coonradt
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Sir V wrote:I hear the average age of the CHAN eagles is 26/27. Na true?
Sir V,

May I ask why the average age matters? It is probably a wide range of age but I certainly have not considered important to consider such calculation. As far as I recall, this isn't an age-grade competition. It is like asking the average age of our World Cup team except if we are simply presenting a profile of the team.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Enugu II wrote:
Sir V wrote:I hear the average age of the CHAN eagles is 26/27. Na true?
Sir V,

May I ask why the average age matters? It is probably a wide range of age but I certainly have not considered important to consider such calculation. As far as I recall, this isn't an age-grade competition. It is like asking the average age of our World Cup team except if we are simply presenting a profile of the team.

Uncle EII, please provide the information if you have. Uncle Sir V may be doing research on the dropology of the team and needs this information to complete the report. Or he may be engaging in post game shaking and need the information to shake with.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.