Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 1443
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.


But firing & hiring must be in line with an objective...

There must be a stated objective for Nigeria in Russia.
And it must be in line with a larger pre-planned objective.
And it must be realizable (not unrealistic; e.g. setting a minimum SFinal target when Nigeria has never made QFinal)

Suppose Nigeria exits after the group games with 3 draws (but plays all 3 opponents off the park)...
Would it be failure? Considering Nigeria has made it out of the group stage at the previous WCup & 2 other occasions previously?

I say if NFF has an objective for 2022 (according to Pinnick), then performance at this WCup must be assessed in context...

_________________
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:42 pm
Posts: 6323
Location: US
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.


But firing & hiring must be in line with an objective...

There must be a stated objective for Nigeria in Russia.
And it must be in line with a larger pre-planned objective.
And it must be realizable (not unrealistic; e.g. setting a minimum SFinal target when Nigeria has never made QFinal)

Suppose Nigeria exits after the group games with 3 draws (but plays all 3 opponents off the park)...
Would it be failure? Considering Nigeria has made it out of the group stage at the previous WCup & 2 other occasions previously?

I say if NFF has an objective for 2022 (according to Pinnick), then performance at this WCup must be assessed in context...


Story! Where was all this larger objective and context before our
last WC campaign? Why must this campaign have a special focus
aimed at retaining a coach untested (in the Nigeria set up) at
tournament level?

Any larger objective or context MUST include performance
related objectives informed by the level of success we
attained at our last outing for instance. If Rohr cannot
deliver that, fire him.

_________________
Image

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:30 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 34795
Location: UK
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.
Ebyboy, hiring and firing at the slightest excuse is what we have been doing for over two decades!
Up until maybe a year or two ago we had the distinguished record of having engaged twenty coaches in twenty years!
Now what does that tell you and how is what you are suggesting any different?

At some point we need to refuse to panic and just hold our nerve.
Unless Rohr turns out in 6 months time to be a complete disaster (and that is relative) there is no reason to resort to our usual knee-jerk reaction of sacking him just like that. At least we seem to have evolved past our other favourite reaction - 'disbanding' the whole team "with immediate effect!". :
Thank God for that! :lol:

And my reference to Keshi is simply the point that an injustice once done to one person is no reason to repeat it to another.

_________________
"Ole ni gbogbo won"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 1443
Ebyboy wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.


But firing & hiring must be in line with an objective...

There must be a stated objective for Nigeria in Russia.
And it must be in line with a larger pre-planned objective.
And it must be realizable (not unrealistic; e.g. setting a minimum SFinal target when Nigeria has never made QFinal)

Suppose Nigeria exits after the group games with 3 draws (but plays all 3 opponents off the park)...
Would it be failure? Considering Nigeria has made it out of the group stage at the previous WCup & 2 other occasions previously?

I say if NFF has an objective for 2022 (according to Pinnick), then performance at this WCup must be assessed in context...


Story! Where was all this larger objective and context before our
last WC campaign? Why must this campaign have a special focus
aimed at retaining a coach untested (in the Nigeria set up) at
tournament level?

Any larger objective or context MUST include performance
related objectives informed by the level of success we
attained at our last outing for instance. If Rohr cannot
deliver that, fire him.


Why do we keep using our past woeful history in administration as reference?

There has to come a point when we decide we need to break from our past...and implement things differently...

If Pinnick & co decide Rohr's era is that time so be it...

_________________
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:35 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.


But firing & hiring must be in line with an objective...

There must be a stated objective for Nigeria in Russia.
And it must be in line with a larger pre-planned objective.
And it must be realizable (not unrealistic; e.g. setting a minimum SFinal target when Nigeria has never made QFinal)

Suppose Nigeria exits after the group games with 3 draws (but plays all 3 opponents off the park)...
Would it be failure? Considering Nigeria has made it out of the group stage at the previous WCup & 2 other occasions previously?

I say if NFF has an objective for 2022 (according to Pinnick), then performance at this WCup must be assessed in context...


We are NOT going to Russia to see snow or get Certificate of Participation.

The minimum goal is to qualify out of our group.

It should be the same goal for ANY and EVERY coach that takes us to the World Cup.

Had the coach been a local coach, you guys will demand for nothing less.



Ps., Argentina, Iceland, and Croatia should be battling on who is joining us.
BTW, we have had stronger groups than this in the past...

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:45 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.
Ebyboy, hiring and firing at the slightest excuse is what we have been doing for over two decades!
Up until maybe a year or two ago we had the distinguished record of having engaged twenty coaches in twenty years!
Now what does that tell you and how is what you are suggesting any different?

At some point we need to refuse to panic and just hold our nerve.
Unless Rohr turns out in 6 months time to be a complete disaster (and that is relative) there is no reason to resort to our usual knee-jerk reaction of sacking him just like that. At least we seem to have evolved past our other favourite reaction - 'disbanding' the whole team "with immediate effect!". :
Thank God for that! :lol:

And my reference to Keshi is simply the point that an injustice once done to one person is no reason to repeat it to another.


Doc, this na story. There is nothing like a kneejerk reaction firing a coach that underachieves set targets. Nothing!

You can be preparing to win the WC in 2022 but you have to have a minimum target for 2018. And that target is, to keep your job you have to advance past the first round... no, and, if, or but about it. It is not asking too much... it is not like it is a point we have not reached before.

This particular team has had more resources and aside 1994 team, has more talent than the other teams that made it past the group stages.

The difference in some teams is that they play to win not to just participate. Naijaria should not be playing in tournaments to win Miss Congeniality. We are no gaddam Arsenal FC... where participation and getting a participation medal and hoping for next year is what we aim for.

God forbid.

The coach and players should feel the pressure.

We might as well be Ghana... or give our spot to a team that is not going there to make up the numbers and will accept getting knocked out because na oyibo dey coach us.

If they don't make it out of the group stages, I expect the coach to resign or be fired. I expect Pinnick to resign if he had any modicum of decency. But for their own sake, they better not fail to make it out.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:05 pm
Posts: 3384
If the team fails to get out of the first round his appointment should be terminated immeadiately and ignominiously. He should show us why he needs to be retained not hoping against hope. Invariable he has adequate support from Nff to excell and good players to prosecute a very successful tournament no ifs or buts. If he fails indubitable it is absolutely his incompetence and fecklessness . Enough of mediocre coaches
.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:07 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:38 pm
Posts: 4736
Damunk wrote:
DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D


Damunk in the same interview Pinnick went on to say that he is expecting the team to pull off a big surprise. We need to learn to build firm foundations. Westerhoff in his interview (posted in the moments to Russia thread) said one of the main reasons why he succeeded was because he was given '5 years'. He remarked that nobody else had been given that opportunity.

Rohr has shown that he is more that just a tactician and a coach. He has adapted well to his environment, is comfortable with the systems and personnel he has to work with and is getting results. The players are fully aware of his methods and understand his thinking. They all realise that with him they have a chance if they put in the hardwork, every inactive player was busy during the January window and is ready to fight for a spot. This bodes well for competition and the team overall.

He is building a team for the here and now and laying a firm foundation for the 2022 WC. Looking at the array of talent coming through the future is surely bright. Let him remain, regardless of the outcome. The players are all behind him, no dissenting factions in the team, no big or small player. Team spirt is a vital ingredient for success, another thing Westerhoff noted in his interview.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:02 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 34795
Location: UK
Mr Shows wrote:
Damunk wrote:
DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D


Damunk in the same interview Pinnick went on to say that he is expecting the team to pull off a big surprise. We need to learn to build firm foundations. Westerhoff in his interview (posted in the moments to Russia thread) said one of the main reasons why he succeeded was because he was given '5 years'. He remarked that nobody else had been given that opportunity. .
Totally agree. I am expecting the same thing - the big surprise.

I am VERY aware though that we have a YOUNG team which isn't necessarily an advantage without its own demerits. It is always best to have a good mix of youth and experience, otherwise most top countries would be sending their talented U23 teams to the WC, believing youth and talent override everything else.
That's my main worry.

I am all for giving Rohr time to build and groom. But as yo can see from responses on this thread, people believe there is no time for patience in modern football. The thing is, they are all taking their examples from the world of club football, where games come along every week, teams get relegated and promoted every 12 months and the financial pressure on club sides is near-unbearable.
We can afford more long-term strategic planning for national teams IMHO.
Not everyone agrees apparently

Quote:
Rohr has shown that he is more that just a tactician and a coach. He has adapted well to his environment, is comfortable with the systems and personnel he has to work with and is getting results. The players are fully aware of his methods and understand his thinking. They all realise that with him they have a chance if they put in the hardwork, every inactive player was busy during the January window and is ready to fight for a spot. This bodes well for competition and the team overall.
Nothing more to add. :thumb:

Quote:
[b]He is building a team for the here and now and laying a firm foundation for the 2022 WC. Looking at the array of talent coming through the future is surely bright. Let him remain, regardless of the outcome. The players are all behind him, no dissenting factions in the team, no big or small player. Team spirt is a vital ingredient for success, another thing Westerhoff noted in his interview[/b]
I believe we are still in the foundation stages and everything needs to be seen in that context.
The question is, will we? :idea:

CE never forgets.
This thread is now part of our pre-WC 2018 historical records. :thumb:

_________________
"Ole ni gbogbo won"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:34 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:10 am
Posts: 2525
Location: Toronto
Two weaknesses about this team
- We do not retain the ball well (possession)
- Goal Keeper issues

The way Rohr is handling our goal keeping dept is not ideal and may comeback to hunt him if we crash out of the group stages because of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:54 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:02 pm
Posts: 10062
Location: Around the World
I don't know if it's Rohr or Picnic responsible, but this is the least drama I have seen around the SE since maybe Father Tiko was coach. I don't think we are strong or settled enough to win THIS world cup, but if the promise is that we will reasonably compete for the 2022 World Cup, then anything short of an outright disaster in Russia should not affect anyone's job at the NFF

Cellular wrote:
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.

_________________
http://www.turenchi.com for Nigerian News


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 7776
Location: loughborough.
Damunk wrote:
DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D


Pinnick can keep his inside joke to himself.

The minimum required is second round elimination.

This deliberate lowering of standards for Pinnicks (failure) regime must stop.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:09 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:
DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D


Pinnick can keep his inside joke to himself.

The minimum required is second round elimination.

This deliberate lowering of standards for Pinnicks (failure) regime must stop.


Tell me about it.

They are acting like we haven't qualified for the World Cup in the past.

Dude better get to the second round.

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:12 pm
Posts: 7776
Location: loughborough.
nanijoe wrote:
I don't know if it's Rohr or Picnic responsible, but this is the least drama I have seen around the SE since maybe Father Tiko was coach. I don't think we are strong or settled enough to win THIS world cup, but if the promise is that we will reasonably compete for the 2022 World Cup, then anything short of an outright disaster in Russia should not affect anyone's job at the NFF


Na this na story! WC second round is the Minimum.

_________________
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 4:29 pm
Posts: 1443
Cellular wrote:
fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:
DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D


Pinnick can keep his inside joke to himself.

The minimum required is second round elimination.

This deliberate lowering of standards for Pinnicks (failure) regime must stop.


Tell me about it.

They are acting like we haven't qualified for the World Cup in the past.

Dude better get to the second round.


And if a decent performance in the group stage does not translate to desired results..?

Say what you like, Rohr's squad (on paper) must be the least experienced Nigeria squad ever at any WCup...(no, make that any senior tournament)

_________________
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:40 pm
Posts: 12641
Cellular wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.


But firing & hiring must be in line with an objective...

There must be a stated objective for Nigeria in Russia.
And it must be in line with a larger pre-planned objective.
And it must be realizable (not unrealistic; e.g. setting a minimum SFinal target when Nigeria has never made QFinal)

Suppose Nigeria exits after the group games with 3 draws (but plays all 3 opponents off the park)...
Would it be failure? Considering Nigeria has made it out of the group stage at the previous WCup & 2 other occasions previously?

I say if NFF has an objective for 2022 (according to Pinnick), then performance at this WCup must be assessed in context...


We are NOT going to Russia to see snow or get Certificate of Participation.

The minimum goal is to qualify out of our group.

It should be the same goal for ANY and EVERY coach that takes us to the World Cup.

Had the coach been a local coach, you guys will demand for nothing less.



Ps., Argentina, Iceland, and Croatia should be battling on who is joining us.
BTW, we have had stronger groups than this in the past...



which stronger group did we have in the past ?

This is the strongest group we have had, besides in 2002, in which we failed to qualify.

If we do not make it out of the group stages, it would be because this group is incredibly tough, and it would be stupid to fire the coach. It would be similar to firing Amodu for losing to Senegal in 2002 ANC.

Under Rohr SE has played better than at any point since 1994. There seem to be no allegations of corruption or funny business, and most of his player selections are on point. He has earned the right to have our trust at this point


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:35 pm
Posts: 26937
Cellular wrote:
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.


Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!

_________________
Image
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:11 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
vancity eagle wrote:
Cellular wrote:
FATHER TIKO wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Ebyboy wrote:
I don't recall peeps being this measured and accommodating
when Keshi was in charge.


If Rohr CANNOT exceed Keshi's achievement, he should be sent
packing. May be moot though, since the NFF has extended Rohr's
contract ahead of his first tournament.
You don't move forward by 'spreading the mistakes around' i.e. deliberately making the same mistake just because you made it in the past.
So we should now be less measured and less accommodating as a way of showing 'consistency'?
What type of logic is that? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even Keshi himself would laugh out loud at this your logic in his grave.
May he RIP.


DaMunk, my logic is sound. Even if you disagree.
This is not our first trip to the WC. And my point
to that is that we have established a standard for
performance at the WC.

That standard should not be lowered or adjusted
for Rohr.

Like Cellular commented (I didn't see you disparage
his opinion thereto), it is about results. If Rohr does
not perform, fire him.


But firing & hiring must be in line with an objective...

There must be a stated objective for Nigeria in Russia.
And it must be in line with a larger pre-planned objective.
And it must be realizable (not unrealistic; e.g. setting a minimum SFinal target when Nigeria has never made QFinal)

Suppose Nigeria exits after the group games with 3 draws (but plays all 3 opponents off the park)...
Would it be failure? Considering Nigeria has made it out of the group stage at the previous WCup & 2 other occasions previously?

I say if NFF has an objective for 2022 (according to Pinnick), then performance at this WCup must be assessed in context...


We are NOT going to Russia to see snow or get Certificate of Participation.

The minimum goal is to qualify out of our group.

It should be the same goal for ANY and EVERY coach that takes us to the World Cup.

Had the coach been a local coach, you guys will demand for nothing less.



Ps., Argentina, Iceland, and Croatia should be battling on who is joining us.
BTW, we have had stronger groups than this in the past...



which stronger group did we have in the past ?

This is the strongest group we have had, besides in 2002, in which we failed to qualify.

If we do not make it out of the group stages, it would be because this group is incredibly tough, and it would be stupid to fire the coach. It would be similar to firing Amodu for losing to Senegal in 2002 ANC.

Under Rohr SE has played better than at any point since 1994. There seem to be no allegations of corruption or funny business, and most of his player selections are on point. He has earned the right to have our trust at this point


Don't know about playing better at any point since 94. There's plenty of room for improvement.

On stronger groups, 94, 98, maybe 2014 and obviously 02 (but we didn't do well because we decided to overhaul the squad and put in "junks" © Taribo).

Point remains we ain't going to the World Cup for moral victories or nearly beating someone.


BTW, firing of Amodu on the eve of a World Cup was asinine. But firing a coach for not getting out of the group stages won't be.
Rohr retains his job because he can take NFF BS. He hasn't gone to the media to complain about his salary despite being owed. He is an NFF marriage made in heaven. Oyibo that doesn't complain about late/delayed payment of salary... :thumb: :thumb:

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:13 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.


Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!


So, what is/are your bare minimum expectations?

Or do you retain him based on "artistic merit" and "degree of difficulty"?

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:32 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 34795
Location: UK
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.


Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!


So, what is/are your bare minimum expectations?

Or do you retain him based on "artistic merit" and "degree of difficulty"?
Our expectations are QF at least but that is not to say we go ahead and just "sack" if those expectations are not met.

Txj is right. There shouldn't be a blanket rule. That's just silly.

There are a million scenarios that can get us ejected from the tournament before our expectations are met and they may not be down to the coach at all.

Hypothetical Scenario 1:
We beat Croatia
Draw with Iceland
Lose to Argentina 2-3 from a last minute goal which cameras show was clearly offside.
We lose out on goal difference to Croatia, all down to that dubious goal.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypothetical Scenario 2
We draw with Croatia.
We beat Iceland
We draw 1-1 with Argentina with 10 men after we have Ndidi sent off on 55 minutes after a dive by Aguero cons the ref.
Argentina scapes through with Croatia.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypotheical Scenario 3:
We lose to Croatia
We draw with Iceland
We beat Argentina 2-0 but need to win by 3 clear goals to qualify
Argentina and Croatia go through
We sack Rohr one time.

Now you tell me how impossible these scenarios are and what beneft there is to moronically following a blanket rule as is being suggested.

_________________
"Ole ni gbogbo won"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:57 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:59 pm
Posts: 41919
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.
Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.


Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!


So, what is/are your bare minimum expectations?

Or do you retain him based on "artistic merit" and "degree of difficulty"?
Our expectations are QF at least but that is not to say we go ahead and just "sack" if those expectations are not met.

Txj is right. There shouldn't be a blanket rule. That's just silly.

There are a million scenarios that can get us ejected from the tournament before our expectations are met and they may not be down to the coach at all.

Hypothetical Scenario 1:
We beat Croatia
Draw with Iceland
Lose to Argentina 2-3 from a last minute goal which cameras show was clearly offside.
We lose out on goal difference to Croatia, all down to that dubious goal.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypothetical Scenario 2
We draw with Croatia.
We beat Iceland
We draw 1-1 with Argentina with 10 men after we have Ndidi sent off on 55 minutes after a dive by Aguero cons the ref.
Argentina scapes through with Croatia.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypotheical Scenario 3:
We lose to Croatia
We draw with Iceland
We beat Argentina 2-0 but need to win by 3 clear goals to qualify
Argentina and Croatia go through
We sack Rohr one time.

Now you tell me how impossible these scenarios are and what beneft there is to moronically following a blanket rule as is being suggested.


Then he better not "What if"!

_________________
I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity and uphold her honor and glory
So help me God.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:26 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Posts: 34795
Location: UK
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:
There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.


Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!


So, what is/are your bare minimum expectations?

Or do you retain him based on "artistic merit" and "degree of difficulty"?
Our expectations are QF at least but that is not to say we go ahead and just "sack" if those expectations are not met.

Txj is right. There shouldn't be a blanket rule. That's just silly.

There are a million scenarios that can get us ejected from the tournament before our expectations are met and they may not be down to the coach at all.

Hypothetical Scenario 1:
We beat Croatia
Draw with Iceland
Lose to Argentina 2-3 from a last minute goal which cameras show was clearly offside.
We lose out on goal difference to Croatia, all down to that dubious goal.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypothetical Scenario 2
We draw with Croatia.
We beat Iceland
We draw 1-1 with Argentina with 10 men after we have Ndidi sent off on 55 minutes after a dive by Aguero cons the ref.
Argentina scapes through with Croatia.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypotheical Scenario 3:
We lose to Croatia
We draw with Iceland
We beat Argentina 2-0 but need to win by 3 clear goals to qualify
Argentina and Croatia go through
We sack Rohr one time.

Now you tell me how impossible these scenarios are and what beneft there is to moronically following a blanket rule as is being suggested.


Then he better not "What if"!
Chief, I AM SIMPLY TESTING YOUR RESOLVE HERE.
Its a simple question: In the above circumstances would you write Rohr's sack letter before they arrive back @MMIA?

You must recall occasions when our teams have lost but the general mood in Nigeria has been favourable.
Its a simple question to real-life scenarios.
Feel free to do your own what ifs?

NO RUN O..... :taunt:

_________________
"Ole ni gbogbo won"


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], ikeo, mystic and 57 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group