REBOOTED: 'WHAT IF...?" (Just Saying) - SE & AFCON 2019

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: SE & Russia 2018: 'WHAT IF...?" (Just Saying)

Post by txj »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:
Cellular wrote:There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

He currently/presently has the team to do such.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.
Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!
So, what is/are your bare minimum expectations?

Or do you retain him based on "artistic merit" and "degree of difficulty"?

The minimum expectation remains unchanged. I speak to the decision surrounding performance.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:
fabio wrote:
Damunk wrote:DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D
Pinnick can keep his inside joke to himself.

The minimum required is second round elimination.

This deliberate lowering of standards for Pinnicks (failure) regime must stop.
Tell me about it.

They are acting like we haven't qualified for the World Cup in the past.

Dude better get to the second round.

Onigbinde also had a young team in 2002...we should not lower standards for anyone, unless there is a general agreement that from now henceforth, no-one gets fired for not getting out of round 1.

Keshi, with the likes of Babatunde, Uchebo, Ameobi, that #2 (I forget his name), made it to second round, and lost to France with atrocious refereeing and a sub-par Mikel.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Cellular wrote:There's no law or rule that says you can't qualify out of your group while building a team for the future.

I don't understand the deliberate lowering of standards for Rohr. All he did was just qualify us for the World Cup... he is yet to do anything to justify the confidence you guys are bestowing on him as if he is the only one capable of doing something most of our coaches have done since 94.
:clap: :clap: Thank you chief,just because the guy is white nothing else.Her should be let go if he cant get pass the group stage.
I feel like this team is good enough to go all out for the trophy.
1)His target number one should be top the group.
2)Second round beat the team infront of you,if you top a group with Argentina then you likely might miss France who wants to top their group also.Denmark should be beaten this time around but respect them.
3)From last 8 play a do or die game as you set your eye on the trophy.
If this man cant take this team to next round he should be fired,
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Damunk wrote:
Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:

Not quite sure I understand the basis of the confidence in this team on here...(more on that in a piece I'm working on btw)

I would just add that decisions such as this would need to be made on the basis of proper analysis not a blanket rule.

Why do I say this?

There is a 2nd round finish that is still worthy of a sack!
So, what is/are your bare minimum expectations?

Or do you retain him based on "artistic merit" and "degree of difficulty"?
Our expectations are QF at least but that is not to say we go ahead and just "sack" if those expectations are not met.

Txj is right. There shouldn't be a blanket rule. That's just silly.

There are a million scenarios that can get us ejected from the tournament before our expectations are met and they may not be down to the coach at all.

Hypothetical Scenario 1:
We beat Croatia
Draw with Iceland
Lose to Argentina 2-3 from a last minute goal which cameras show was clearly offside.
We lose out on goal difference to Croatia, all down to that dubious goal.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypothetical Scenario 2
We draw with Croatia.
We beat Iceland
We draw 1-1 with Argentina with 10 men after we have Ndidi sent off on 55 minutes after a dive by Aguero cons the ref.
Argentina scapes through with Croatia.
We sack Rohr one time.

Hypotheical Scenario 3:
We lose to Croatia
We draw with Iceland
We beat Argentina 2-0 but need to win by 3 clear goals to qualify
Argentina and Croatia go through
We sack Rohr one time.

Now you tell me how impossible these scenarios are and what beneft there is to moronically following a blanket rule as is being suggested.
Then he better not "What if"!
Chief, I AM SIMPLY TESTING YOUR RESOLVE HERE.
Its a simple question: In the above circumstances would you write Rohr's sack letter before they arrive back @MMIA?

You must recall occasions when our teams have lost but the general mood in Nigeria has been favourable.
Its a simple question to real-life scenarios.
Feel free to do your own what ifs?

NO RUN O..... :taunt:
Doc, I resemble an Arsenal fan? :curse:

You play to win the game!

Not participation trophies, not moral victories...

The only scenario I will give him a pass is if we get eliminated by a coin toss. PERIOD!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

charlie wrote:Whatever happens, even if we lose all 3 games, Rohr must be left alone to groom these kids...
Perfect example of the perils that can befall the most innocent and well intended parlance. "Groom" is heavily indebted to Yorkshire's ravenous reprobates from rendering it amongst the most sickening of verbs in Lizzie's language. Moving on...

There's no reason to assume 4 more years will translate into anything other than a blank page and brand new contest. Four years from now, new prospects will emerge, some of great potential will plateau or plummet and others will fill the expanse in between. Football is predictably unpredictable and awash with constants and consistencies.

Should Rohr be given right to remain if the WC ends in absolute failure? Has such a privilege been afforded others? If he fails, he has failed and failure merits it's just reward.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I am ambivalent about this issue. Personally, I do not support the wily-nily sacking of our coaches because I believe that it has an adverse effect on team building and my preference is some stability at the level of the coaching staff.

I would consider it outrageous to sack Rohr simply based on the team not making it beyond the first round. That outcome, without examination of the team's play, is problematic considering that we are not favored by many neutrals to actually come out of the group. Take the two scenarios below:

A
Nigeria Croatia 0-1(Nigeria conceding a late controversial penalty for the goal)
Argentina Iceland 2-1
Nigeria Iceland 1-0
Croatia Argentina 1-0
Nigeria Argentina 1-1
Croatia Iceland 0-0

B
Nigeria Croatia 0-2
Argentina Iceland 2-1
Nigeria Iceland 1-1 (Iceland has a pk saved late by Ezenwa :rotf: )
Croatia Argentina 0-1
Nigeria Argentina 1-2
Croatia Iceland 3-1

In my opinion, Nigeria has done enough in scenario A and to fire the coach will be outrageous. In scenario B, yes fire the coach. What is the difference? It is a matter of some certainty that the team is poor. In Scenario A, the pattern does not indicate that outcome, in B it provides that indication.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Enugu II wrote:I am ambivalent about this issue. Personally, I do not support the wily-nily sacking of our coaches because I believe that it has an adverse effect on team building and my preference is some stability at the level of the coaching staff.

I would consider it outrageous to sack Rohr simply based on the team not making it beyond the first round. That outcome, without examination of the team's play, is problematic considering that we are not favored by many neutrals to actually come out of the group. Take the two scenarios below:

A
Nigeria Croatia 0-1(Nigeria conceding a late controversial penalty for the goal)
Argentina Iceland 2-1
Nigeria Iceland 1-0
Croatia Argentina 1-0
Nigeria Argentina 1-1
Croatia Iceland 0-0

B
Nigeria Croatia 0-2
Argentina Iceland 2-1
Croatia Argentina 0-1
Nigeria Argentina 1-2
Croatia Iceland 3-1

In my opinion, Nigeria has done enough in scenario A and to fire the coach will be outrageous. In scenario B, yes fire the coach. What is the difference? It is a matter of some certainty that the team is poor. In Scenario A, the pattern does not indicate that outcome, in B it provides that indication.
:clap:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Let’s not forget the SE coaching position is just a job. At work we know (especially managers) that except a person has life occurrences to keep him in a job, they’re not guaranteed to be there. We’re talking about firing and not about if he leaves for one reason or another. We’re not the only game in town. The NFF should be focused on having a program they can execute not relying on any one coach and seek to staff up accordingly. They should have options if they’re good managers.

Firing a person shouldn’t be a penalty for failure but about a change for the better. We need to reorient ourselves from this scapegoat mentality.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:bump: :bump: :bump:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

Damunk wrote: :bump: :bump: :bump:
Uncle Damunk, you are free to bump and keep on bumping.

Rohr was given all the resources required and requested for yet Rohr FAILED. There is no escaping and no excuses should be given, Rohr FAILED. He should be sacked for his failure. All this what if analysis... is waste of time.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

fabio wrote:

Rohr was given all the resources required and requested for yet Rohr FAILED. There is no escaping and no excuses should be given, Rohr FAILED. He should be sacked for his failure. All this what if analysis... is waste of time.
Uhm, Chief....na you e go pain pass.
Looks like he's staying. :idea:
Nigeria has decided to effect change by rejecting change.
We are tired of you 'change' agents!!!
:taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
sabb
Egg
Egg

Post by sabb »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I am ambivalent about this issue. Personally, I do not support the wily-nily sacking of our coaches because I believe that it has an adverse effect on team building and my preference is some stability at the level of the coaching staff.

A
Argentina Iceland 2-1
Nigeria Iceland 1-0
Croatia Argentina 1-0
Nigeria Argentina 1-1
Croatia Iceland 0-0

B
Nigeria Croatia 0-2
Argentina Iceland 2-1
Croatia Argentina 0-1
Nigeria Argentina 1-2
Croatia Iceland 3-1

:clap:
scenario B
fire the coward
To d Super Eagles - there's no limit to wot can be accomplished when nobody cares who gets the credit (ucb)
speech is ma hammer bang d world into shape - mos def
A win is a win, whether u win by an inch or by a mile - Dominic Toretto
life without knowledge is death in disguise - talib kweli
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

fabio wrote:

Was he "given" the players to execute his vision? This is a question we want to ignore because we spent all of our time pre-World Cup hyping our players beyond their capabilities. Even now, we continue to hype them thinking that is is only "belief" and "confidence" that was lacking, and "belief" and "confidence" is what made it possible for Mexico to play the kind of superb counter-attacking game they played against a lack-luster Germany.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Damunk wrote:DONT BE ANNOYED O, JUST WONDERING..... :D

Pinick said today while speaking with Channels Sports News that there is a common joke in the NFF that "this team is better prepared for (WC) 2022 than 2018".
So it seems the team is ultimately being groomed for 4 years time when it'll be expected to be at its peak -
obviously with a few new additions that come on stream over time.

So, what if.... (I'll add the mandatory 'God forbid') this team should get knocked out in the very first round in Russia?

Should Rohr be sent packing?
Or would we be willing and able to see out the medium to long term plan?

Just asking. Let's face it. Like Pinnick keeps saying, "this is a young team."
A very young team.
Probably the youngest at the WC..... :D
bad luck tongue :roll: :boo: :boo: :boo:
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

ohsee wrote: Was he "given" the players to execute his vision? This is a question we want to ignore because we spent all of our time pre-World Cup hyping our players beyond their capabilities. Even now, we continue to hype them thinking that is is only "belief" and "confidence" was what is lacking and this is what made it possible for Mexico to play the kind of superb counter-attacking game they played against a lack-luster Germany.
No coach in a Football (national team) is "given" players to execute his vision... The coach will have to work with the available resources.
By the grace of God I am a Christian, by my deeds a great sinner.....The Way of a Pilgrim
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

fabio wrote:
ohsee wrote: Was he "given" the players to execute his vision? This is a question we want to ignore because we spent all of our time pre-World Cup hyping our players beyond their capabilities. Even now, we continue to hype them thinking that is is only "belief" and "confidence" was what is lacking and this is what made it possible for Mexico to play the kind of superb counter-attacking game they played against a lack-luster Germany.
No coach in a Football (national team) is "given" players to execute his vision... The coach will have to work with the available resources.
100% correct. Now what if the available resources are not up to par to achieve the results expected?
fabio
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by fabio »

ohsee wrote: 100% correct. Now what if the available resources are not up to par to achieve the results expected?
An honourable person will have assessed the resources before accepting the job. If not up to par, will not accept the job or accept will a disclaimer from the very beginning.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

:bump:
'What If', REBOOTED

:taunt: :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:

AFCON 2019

SCENARIO 1

Winners: Egypt (AET, On PKs)
Runners Up: Nigeria
Do we sack? :D

SCENARIO 2
Winners: Nigeria (AET, On PKs)
Runners Up: Egypt

SCENARIO 3
Winners: Senegal
Third Place: Morrocco (AET, PKs)
Fourth Place: Nigeria

SCENARIO 4
Winners: Morrocco
Third Place: Nigeria
Fourth Place: Senegal
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle
Re: REBOOTED: 'WHAT IF...?" (Just Saying) - SE & AFCON 2019

Post by Bigpokey24 »

This damunk vexes me a lot, we can see how he approves mediocrity..my goodness, what's wrong with some people. Rohr failed at worldcup and you are back wanting to keep him if another what if pops up again. I don't get it...what's your end game here?
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Bigpokey24 wrote:This damunk vexes me a lot, we can see how he approves mediocrity..my goodness, what's wrong with some people. Rohr failed at worldcup and you are back wanting to keep him if another what if pops up again. I don't get it...what's your end game here?
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

Damunk wrote::bump:
'What If', REBOOTED

AFCON 2019

SCENARIO 1

Winners: Egypt (AET, On PKs)
Runners Up: Nigeria

SCENARIO 2
Winners: Nigeria (AET, On PKs)

SCENARIO 3
Winners: Senegal
Third Place: Morrocco (AET, PKs)
Fourth Place: Nigeria

SCENARIO 4
Winners: Morrocco
Third Place: Nigeria
Fourth Place: Senegal
What's the real difference in the last two scenarios?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

kalani JR wrote: What's the real difference in the last two scenarios?
You know our people like to pick and choose our arguments, so I'm giving them room for that. The debate is in what circumstances do we sack, knowing there are many who are advocating sacking the coach should we fail to win the trophy?
I'm just curious what they and others would recommend in various possible scenarios.

Key points to note in bold.

Scenario 3:
Senegal, arguably the continent's strongest team (on paper) wins the tournament.
Nigeria is beaten in the semi-final to fourth place by Morocco on Pks, aet

Scenario 4:
Nigeria beats Senegal, arguably the continent's strongest team (on paper) to take third place in the semi-final in regular time.
Cristao II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cristao II »

The day we imbibe discipline, integrity, and patience in our collective culture .. the better
"Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud have we become, and how blind."

Primary: Lenovo Y410p: i5-4200M | 2GB Nvidia GT755M | 16GB DDR3L | 1000GB SSD | N2230 | LG24MP76 - Windows 10 64-Bit
Secondary: Dell Inspirion 1545: Core2Duo | 4GB RAM | 320GB 5400RPM - Linux Mint Cinnamon
Tertiary: Lenovo Legion 5 Pro: Ryzen 7 5800H | 32GB DDR4 | 2000GB SSD | 8GB NVidia RTX3070 - Windows 11 Pro
HTC U11+ - Xiaomi Mi8