MANU GARBA: On Foreign-based as he prepares U17....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
MANU GARBA: On Foreign-based as he prepares U17....

Post by Enugu II »

Manu Garba Speaks On Chances Of Nigerian Players Born Abroad Making His U17 Team, Open Screening
http://owngoalnigeria.com/2018/02/15/ma ... screening/
February 15, 2018025

Reappointed coach of the Nigeria U17 team Manu Garba has given his views on players eligible for his team where born abroad, and want to represent Nigeria ahead of their country of birth.

Lot of Nigerian lads born abroad are scattered around the academies of top teams in Europe, and with the recent drive by coach of the senior national team of Nigeria Gernot Rohr in luring players born abroad, Manu says he is ready to tow same line.

Speaking to Owngoalnigeria.com in an exclusive interview, the soft spoken coach however outlined conditions they must meet if they want to be part of his U17 team, who are set to resume camping soon.

” We are ready to receive players born abroad who are eligible to play for Nigeria and want to play. You can’t deny them their fundamental right. As a coach I have had some of them in the past. Like Ovie Ejaria at Liverpool “, the coach told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” But I will like to state here that they won’t be giving any preferential treatment ‎, and they have to be better than the players we have in the team. Merit will be out watchword not where you’re coming from”.

On the issue of scouting of players for the team who are expected to play their first qualifiers in April, the coach said he has done most of what he need to do, hence they won’t be any need for open screening like he has always done in time past.

” Our first qualifiers is in April, hence we don’t have enough time to conduct an open screening. If you throw the gate open, you will say over 2,000 players in attendance. It’s not a bad idea, it has worked for us before but now we don’t have time.

” As a team we have pencilled down players who the commencement of training. I have been very busy touring Nigeria for eligible players, my assistants have also done their own bit. So we will harmonise our list before we start training hopefully later this month”, the coach concluded.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: MANU GARBA: On Foreign-based as he prepares U17....

Post by oloye »

They should leave foreign based out of the u17 ...
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

o time to conduct screening is a big risk. Potential over 17 risk and mass failure of scan, resulting in fresh recruitment. The screening ever learn should have been factored in before the first qualifier. We
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

” We are ready to receive players born abroad who are eligible to play for Nigeria and want to play. You can’t deny them their fundamental right. As a coach I have had some of them in the past. Like Ovie Ejaria at Liverpool “, the coach told Owngoalnigeria.com.
Playing is not a right, but i agree with the sentiment :clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:They should leave foreign based out of the u17 ...

Since they are not Nigerians abi?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

1naija wrote:

Go and drink your ogogoro my friend. The whole point of the u17 is for development of players....most u17 foreign players are operating at a much higher level. Bringing them down not only adds to the overhead cost of running football by nff.....it also stiffles the opportunity for home grown talent to blossom.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

oloye wrote:
1naija wrote:

Go and drink your ogogoro my friend. The whole point of the u17 is for development of players....most u17 foreign players are operating at a much higher level. Bringing them down not only adds to the overhead cost of running football by nff.....it also stiffles the opportunity for home grown talent to blossom.
Thats archaic backward mentality. Some kids want to represent their country, so who are you to say who should or who shouldn't because of where they were born? Thank God Manu does not hold such archaic mindset.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Manu's openly reveals a discriminatory policy against foreign born Naija players and una no complain.

If dem say, for you Naija born to get the job, you have to prove that you are better than our own native born, no be discrimination be that?