Chelsea 1 vs 1 Barcelona(Willian, Messi)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chelsea 1 vs 1 Barcelona(Willian, Messi)

Post by Kabalega »

airwolex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:Funny enough I thought Chelsea was comfortable. Cortoius was a passenger for most of the game and when we threatened it was always with intent. I thought we'd be rolled over but now I think we have a chance against this Barca team. Their defense is not great.
Of Courtois was confortable. He had a 10 men in front of his goal. And Barca gifted him corner kicks in the 2nd half.

Barca's defense has improved a lot. They have been working on it, unfortunately at the expense of the offense. They have conceded just 2 goals in the CL so far.

When they sharpen that offense, which shouldn't take much, I wouldn't fancy Chelsea's defense on keeping Courtois comfortable.
So Tes Tergen had 2 men in front of him? :D

Like I said, possession without testing the keeper is super comfortable. I'll take that any day.

Their defense looked shaky to me. Our one twos and flicks befuddled them all day. Not saying we will win the tie but this Barca team looks more dangerous than they really are.
Not this ish again! I heard this argument from Chelsea fans during the game.

How many men did ter Stegen have in front of him during Chelsea's counter attacks?

Do you remember Stanford Bridge in 2009? :D
Barca had one shot on target (or was it even all game) and it won them the game.

You can hit the post all game and lose the game. If that game had 6 added minutes, Chelsea would have lost it.

There are other subtle things you missed. Like Barca's forwards foiling Chelsea's counter attacks. That's defense and so is possession.

BTW, Barça have also lost just one of their last 39 matches, including this Chelsea game.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:Funny enough I thought Chelsea was comfortable. Cortoius was a passenger for most of the game and when we threatened it was always with intent. I thought we'd be rolled over but now I think we have a chance against this Barca team. Their defense is not great.
Of Courtois was confortable. He had a 10 men in front of his goal. And Barca gifted him corner kicks in the 2nd half.

Barca's defense has improved a lot. They have been working on it, unfortunately at the expense of the offense. They have conceded just 2 goals in the CL so far.

When they sharpen that offense, which shouldn't take much, I wouldn't fancy Chelsea's defense on keeping Courtois comfortable.

Like I said, possession without testing the keeper is super comfortable. I'll take that any day.

Their defense looked shaky to me. Our one twos and flicks befuddled them all day. Not saying we will win the tie but this Barca team looks more dangerous than they really are.

How many men did ter Stegen have in front of him during Chelsea's counter attacks?

Barca had one shot on target (or was it even all game) and it won them the game.

You can hit the post all game and lose the game. If that game had 6 added minutes, Chelsea would have lost it.

There are other subtle things you missed. Like Barca's forwards foiling Chelsea's counter attacks. That's defense and so is possession.

BTW, Barça have also lost just one of their last 39 matches, including this Chelsea game.
This man, I hope you know Chelsea has an excellent record against Barca...why are you talking as if this is a done deal?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

airwolex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

This man, I hope you know Chelsea has an excellent record against Barca...why are you talking as if this is a done deal?
I never mentioned that this was a done deal.
Just wanted to get you abreast of both teams, especially Barca's defense, since you clearly have no clue about their recent history.

Also a team that has David Luiz as a stalwart in Chelsea's defense needs to check their aspirations at the Camp Nou in Spain.

Conte will have to lose a lot of sleep and gain grey hairs in order to get a result.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Also a team that has David Luiz as a stalwart in Chelsea's defense needs to check their aspirations at the Camp Nou in Spain.
Ol boy are you preppin for St Patricks? :D
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

You didn't just bring up he worst refereed game in Champions League history as proof of Barca's dominance?
I'm sorry, but in a game where the ref fails to call 5 stonewall penalties, including one in the last minute of extra time, where Barcelona were outplayed, the claim tht Chelsea would have lost it anyway is ridiculous.

BTW That goal didn't win Barca the game. It won them he tie. The game ended in an undeserved tie.
lionga
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

Well done Chelsea :clap: :clap: .

As expected too. Anyone that expected Barca to roll over this Chelsea hasn't watched their recent games. Once again the opposition sat deep and Messi and Suarez were isolated upfront. Barca have some serious thinking to do for the return leg. They need to move the ball MUCH quicker and be more dynamic in the final third, not sit and wait for Messi magic. Longer term, this is an ageing squad surprisingly bereft of pace, and it shows. And to think they're currently undefeated in La Liga! Valverde has done well with what he has but Madrid should really slap themselves for not mounting a serious challenge this season.
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Weird that none mentioned that barca was fatigued(same point raised by Sid Lowe on the guardian) due to fixture congestion(mostly due to the two legged copa dela rey). Barcelona have not been playing well for sometime.....they managed to play a draw against getafe(who they are usually beating convincingly) at home and against Eibar, they won thanks to Fabian Orellana's brain farts. Otherwise they were really bad.They were lucky again yesterday as chelsea didnt punish them. Chelsea are not gonna meet the same heavy legged outfit they met yesterday for the second leg. If that was Chelsea at their best yesterday then they should pray that they meet a heavy legged and out-of-sorts Barcelona again for the second leg otherwise they going to get beaten convincingly.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

txj wrote:
platinum wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
txj wrote:I thought the big problem for Barca today was Paulinho's lack of effectiveness in his other role of pushing up close to Messi and Suarez. Started well but seemed to lose confidence after the headed chance...

Interesting how Conte deployed the switch, much like Madrid, but without the necessary compliment of players...

Yea too often messi and suarez ended up with 2 v 4 in the middle. They needed another outlet for their quick passing game and flicks.
This was an away game for Barca and I think they played a bit more cautiously in order not to be caught out on the counter. They have ageing legs in Midfield. I will expect things to be different in Camp Nou. The good thing doe CFC is that I don't see Barca playing cautiously at home despite having the result advantage. CFC will have to do better on the counter. Will still be a tough ask to get the desired result in Spain
No bruv, it wasn't because only barca was cautious. Paulinho was just not at the races and no surprise they took him off. Chelsea had way too many counters so if barca was trying to be cautious, they failed woefully. Willian....that boy was good today but he killed counters for fun as well.
*they should have given dembele the chance to run at chelsea like i said in the game but at some point, i think they decided 1-1 was okay.

How many successful counters did Chelsea have?

I thought Barca controlled Chelsea very well wrt counterattacks. I cannot recall one completely executed counter from back to front in the game and that led to a chance being created or a shot on goal...
That's where Willian was at fault. Barca will know they didn't stop anything and I don't think they did. The Brazilian just showed what analyzer fears...indecisiveness and bad decision making.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

platinum wrote:
txj wrote:
platinum wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
txj wrote:I thought the big problem for Barca today was Paulinho's lack of effectiveness in his other role of pushing up close to Messi and Suarez. Started well but seemed to lose confidence after the headed chance...

Interesting how Conte deployed the switch, much like Madrid, but without the necessary compliment of players...

Yea too often messi and suarez ended up with 2 v 4 in the middle. They needed another outlet for their quick passing game and flicks.
This was an away game for Barca and I think they played a bit more cautiously in order not to be caught out on the counter. They have ageing legs in Midfield. I will expect things to be different in Camp Nou. The good thing doe CFC is that I don't see Barca playing cautiously at home despite having the result advantage. CFC will have to do better on the counter. Will still be a tough ask to get the desired result in Spain
No bruv, it wasn't because only barca was cautious. Paulinho was just not at the races and no surprise they took him off. Chelsea had way too many counters so if barca was trying to be cautious, they failed woefully. Willian....that boy was good today but he killed counters for fun as well.
*they should have given dembele the chance to run at chelsea like i said in the game but at some point, i think they decided 1-1 was okay.

How many successful counters did Chelsea have?

I thought Barca controlled Chelsea very well wrt counterattacks. I cannot recall one completely executed counter from back to front in the game and that led to a chance being created or a shot on goal...
That's where Willian was at fault. Barca will know they didn't stop anything and I don't think they did. The Brazilian just showed what analyzer fears...indecisiveness and bad decision making.
Comon...the failure to complete a counter cannot be placed entirely on Willian. Watch the game again. It is a direct consequence of Barca's cautious approach. Their primary defensive goal was to control the counters....and they succeeded.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

lionga wrote:Well done Chelsea :clap: :clap: .

As expected too. Anyone that expected Barca to roll over this Chelsea hasn't watched their recent games. Once again the opposition sat deep and Messi and Suarez were isolated upfront. Barca have some serious thinking to do for the return leg. They need to move the ball MUCH quicker and be more dynamic in the final third, not sit and wait for Messi magic. Longer term, this is an ageing squad surprisingly bereft of pace, and it shows. And to think they're currently undefeated in La Liga! Valverde has done well with what he has but Madrid should really slap themselves for not mounting a serious challenge this season.
Wow!

You'll think Chelsea won the game listening to Chelsea fans and the English pundits! :blush:
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
lionga
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

txj wrote:

Wow!

You'll think Chelsea won the game listening to Chelsea fans and the English pundits! :blush:
:lol: I am neither a Chelsea fan nor an English pundit. I've seen Barca's recent games and expected them to struggle vs Chelsea based on recent form. Chelsea did well, and on a different day might have killed off the tie.
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

lionga wrote:
txj wrote:

Wow!

:lol: I am neither a Chelsea fan nor an English pundit. I've seen Barca's recent games and expected them to struggle vs Chelsea based on recent form. Chelsea did well, and on a different day might have killed off the tie.

1 - 1 was the game. Barca with an important away goal. Kill the thought of Chelsea doing well. If anything, Chelsea avoided a massacre.
Now I know why Conte lost those games against Watford and Bournemouth. It's to placate football fans like you so you could manage your expectations against Barca.

Chelsea did well gini?
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

wonderful performance by chelsea, hopefully Chelsea takes this performance and finish the season strong, I think Uefalona will advance
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

marutimon wrote:

You didn't just bring up he worst refereed game in Champions League history as proof of Barca's dominance?
I'm sorry, but in a game where the ref fails to call 5 stonewall penalties, including one in the last minute of extra time, where Barcelona were outplayed, the claim tht Chelsea would have lost it anyway is ridiculous.

BTW That goal didn't win Barca the game. It won them he tie. The game ended in an undeserved tie.
The argument was that Barça had one shot which led to a goal and a result.

Chelsea should have had a red card or two in that game for the punishment they meted out to Messi alone.
lionga
Egg
Egg

Post by lionga »

balo wrote:
lionga wrote:
txj wrote:

Wow!

1 - 1 was the game. Barca with an important away goal. Kill the thought of Chelsea doing well. If anything, Chelsea avoided a massacre.
Now I know why Conte lost those games against Watford and Bournemouth. It's to placate football fans like you so you could manage your expectations against Barca.

Chelsea did well gini?
How many chances did Barca create? If you want to nitpick Chelsea's performance there is room to critique the counterattack strategy, noting that Willian's shots in particular were really low-percentage chances. The decision-making could've been better.
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Kabalega wrote:
marutimon wrote:

The argument was that Barça had one shot which led to a goal and a result.

Chelsea should have had a red card or two in that game for the punishment they meted out to Messi alone.
Even Stoke vs Madrid will have at least one shot on goal..so your argument is mute..we were robbed period...anything to the contrary is dishonest

Pa
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Whenever your keeper is on holidays it's a good day never mind if it's against one of the best attacking teams ever. I don't know why that concept is so hard to swallow. Even if we did park the bus we hit the woodwork twice, looked dangerous and should have scored at least one more goal.

Chelsea has played Barca multiple times and this was the first time that I watched the game totally relaxed. Whether this is a sign of decline (losing Neymar is no joke) or a one off is still to be determined.