Chelsea 1 vs 1 Barcelona(Willian, Messi)

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Chelsea 1 vs 1 Barcelona(Willian, Messi)

Post by analyzer »

platinum wrote:
Cellular wrote:
platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
platinum wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
platinum wrote:I tell you what, Victor Moses has been masterful today.

The space of the Nou Camp will be a different story I suspect but Chelsea have held their own today.
Still fancy them. Esp if he stays fit.
You're a bolder man than me. That space of the Nou Camp is no joke. It'll mean these two fullbacks and Kante/Cesc MUST work even harder. I don't think Barcelona have played well at all today yet it's 1-1. Can they replicate today's strategy? I am not so sure. Three weeks is a long time though so maybe.

FT 1-1. GREAT game. Barca played poorly and yet got the result they wanted.
Chelsea's best players, William, Rudiger and Victor Moses. Now they need Hazard in the Nou Camp and they will be in the next round.

The spaces at the Nou Camp works for Chelsea too. Barca's with the ageing Iniesta are not the same team.
Add Ngolo Kante to the best today. That small Energizer Bunny was everywhere today. At least THREE times he was leading the counter after breaking up play in his own half only for Willian to fall to pass to him. Barca targeted Hazard for some major kicking :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree on Iniesta. Add Paulinho and Rakitic. That midfield didnt really handle this game well. Slow, predictable, and static.

VM really warmed my heart today, outstanding display.
Agreed that Kante had a very good game. Willian is the obvious man of the match.
Thought Vicmo had a slightly above average game. Good with his defensive responsibility and pressing. Below average with his offensive game.
Decent game from him.

Glad if anyone was to make a mistake it was Christensen... his overall good play allows him the luxury of an error now and then
Barca tilted focus to Hazard and Willian punished them. Honestly while he was MoM, i thought he had chances to really kill barca today and failed to do so...his final pass on those counter attacks was lacking today. Too many counters died at his feet for my liking. Conte will let him know about it without a doubt.

VM was tentative going forward but I think that was intentional. I think both he and alonso were mainly tasked with playing safe offensively.

I thought the game would end in a 1-1 draw all along but as it progressed, i really thought chelsea had the capacity to win 1-0. They were disciplined. There's a good chance they get knocked out in Spain, 2-0 or something along those lines. Today's strategy was nice but they'll need a target man to play off of in the return leg.
The bold part has always been my issues with Willian. Too often, moves die at his feet because he wants to stop, check, then restart. Hazard has similar problem.. I don't like both playing together as they a times too similar and it kills fluidity of the move.

Regardless, today was one of his best games this season. The attention got paved the way for him as you all rightly noted
Lampard: 101 goals and counting.......

64 GAMES UNBEATEN AT STAMFORD BRIDGE... A NEW RECORD IS SET.....
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
txj wrote:I thought the big problem for Barca today was Paulinho's lack of effectiveness in his other role of pushing up close to Messi and Suarez. Started well but seemed to lose confidence after the headed chance...

Interesting how Conte deployed the switch, much like Madrid, but without the necessary compliment of players...

Yea too often messi and suarez ended up with 2 v 4 in the middle. They needed another outlet for their quick passing game and flicks.
This was an away game for Barca and I think they played a bit more cautiously in order not to be caught out on the counter. They have ageing legs in Midfield. I will expect things to be different in Camp Nou. The good thing doe CFC is that I don't see Barca playing cautiously at home despite having the result advantage. CFC will have to do better on the counter. Will still be a tough ask to get the desired result in Spain
I expect Valverde to play with the advantage he has at the Camp Nou....This is a different kind of Barcelona manager...

Disappointed to see Aleix Vidal rather than Dembele...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Victor Moses was solid. According to the BBC's stat line:

Barcelona lead by the usual landslide on the possession stats.

The visitors racked up 73% of possession and 887 passes to Chelsea's 325.

Only three of Barcelona's starters - Luis Suarez, Paulinho and goalkeeper Marc Andre ter Stegen - had less touches than Chelsea's most involved player - Victor Moses with 58 touches.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
txj wrote:I thought the big problem for Barca today was Paulinho's lack of effectiveness in his other role of pushing up close to Messi and Suarez. Started well but seemed to lose confidence after the headed chance...

Interesting how Conte deployed the switch, much like Madrid, but without the necessary compliment of players...

Yea too often messi and suarez ended up with 2 v 4 in the middle. They needed another outlet for their quick passing game and flicks.
This was an away game for Barca and I think they played a bit more cautiously in order not to be caught out on the counter. They have ageing legs in Midfield. I will expect things to be different in Camp Nou. The good thing doe CFC is that I don't see Barca playing cautiously at home despite having the result advantage. CFC will have to do better on the counter. Will still be a tough ask to get the desired result in Spain
No bruv, it wasn't because only barca was cautious. Paulinho was just not at the races and no surprise they took him off. Chelsea had way too many counters so if barca was trying to be cautious, they failed woefully. Willian....that boy was good today but he killed counters for fun as well.
*they should have given dembele the chance to run at chelsea like i said in the game but at some point, i think they decided 1-1 was okay.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Barca are something else.
At the 65th minute I told Chelsea fans that Barca would score in the next 10 minutes.
At the 73rd minute they started taunting me, and I told them to wait.
Then like clockwork in the 75th minute Messi silenced them. :D

Gone were the useless boasts that Messi had never scored against Chelsea.
Gone were the reminders that Messi had never scored against Thibaut Courtois.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

txj wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

I expect Valverde to play with the advantage he has at the Camp Nou....This is a different kind of Barcelona manager...

Hmmm!! Do you think the Camp Nou faithfuls will let him do his thing? I don't know about that. But if he sets up Barca to play as you suggest, then they will definitely got though.

At Platinum, I hear you.. Dembele will be reserved for the return leg where the pitch will play to his skill set. All depends on what form he is post injury recovery.

mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...will be possible for Barca not to make it out of this round? I go happy if it happens.
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

analyzer wrote:
txj wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Hmmm!! Do you think the Camp Nou faithfuls will let him do his thing? I don't know about that. But if he sets up Barca to play as you suggest, then they will definitely got though.

At Platinum, I hear you.. Dembele will be reserved for the return leg where the pitch will play to his skill set. All depends on what form he is post injury recovery.
Analyzer/Txj,

What did you make of the false 9?

I had major reservations going in and somewhat think it held us back but im open to debate.

We knew the high press was coming, we knew we wont be able to play out of the back the way want to, we knew we would have to punt long when we cant play short. Every time we punted long they got it back. Conte tried to switch it and play long but wide but Courtois leg game is not good enough. We lost it every time.

I felt it robbed Chelsea of opportunities to create more attacks and retain possession higher up the field. Pique won 100% of the aerial duels he contested prior to Morata coming on. Morata won 2 out of 3 in 10 mins.

I also think if we had a physical presence upfront, maybe Christenses doesn't try that pass across his goal? Could that have been a function of him sick of giving possession away every time we punted?

Also think Hazard is always more influential coming in from the left as opposed to starting central. I don't think it would have been too much to ask of him to do the defensive work Pedro did today especially with the 5-4-1 sometimes 5-5-0 blocks we showed them. Pedro was mainly only defending 30 m of grass in the first half.

This Barca team is definitely there for the taking and I really think Chelsea let them off the hook today.
analyzer
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by analyzer »

@Ugbowo,

False 9 has hardly ever been a success go to formation/tactics for CFC/Conte but one can argue that today it bore fruit primarily because of the way Conte set out the team to play relative the opposition. It was clear CFC wanted to press when they can, sit deep when Barca has possession, and hit on the counter. Today, the plan was clear but it left little room for variation in play..

I still don't fancy it. It robs Hazard a bit of his natural game. But the team had 3 front players that pressed effectively in certain occasions. I expect to see Morata start vs. Man U in place of Pedro

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

You guys are funny sha,VM was MOTM,best Chelsea player the most involve player with so many touches.
Yet willian a waste pipe because of his goal is consider MOTM.SMH
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

kajifu wrote:You guys are funny sha,VM was MOTM,best Chelsea player the most involve player with so many touches.
Yet willian a waste pipe because of his goal is consider MOTM.SMH
So basically WIllian was MOTM...why couldn't you just leave it at that? :???:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

Obong wrote:Victor Moses was solid. According to the BBC's stat line:

Barcelona lead by the usual landslide on the possession stats.

The visitors racked up 73% of possession and 887 passes to Chelsea's 325.

Only three of Barcelona's starters - Luis Suarez, Paulinho and goalkeeper Marc Andre ter Stegen - had less touches than Chelsea's most involved player - Victor Moses with 58 touches.

And some clowns said Zappacosta would keep Moses on the bench :rotf:
mastermind
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by mastermind »

Most pastors are just motivational speakers...
http://www.melangeGO.com/
A family oriented online fashion store. Offering high quality products at low cost.
bepanda
Egg
Egg

Post by bepanda »

Sergi Bouskets 151 touches. Half the touches of the whole Chelsea team?
[/video]
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Moses wasn’t impressive to me at all. Defensively, he was solid but offensively the dude didn’t impress at all. He couldn’t dribble past his man, cross to save his life etc and Nigerians here think he performed as good as Williams in his game. The Victor Moses of Nigeria dribbles, shoots, scores, crosses etc but this Chelsea Moses is too limited
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Moses wasn’t impressive to me at all. Defensively, he was solid but offensively the dude didn’t impress at all. He couldn’t dribble past his man, cross to save his life etc and Nigerians here think he performed as good as Williams in his game. The Victor Moses of Nigeria dribbles, shoots, scores, crosses etc but this Chelsea Moses is too limited
He simply can't afford to lose the ball the way he can for SE, no one will cover for him and Zappacosta will replace him. Also, his first job is defending which took a lot of out of him, its unfair to expect him to both defend a rampaging Barca (and basically render Alba quite useless throughout the game), and still take the ball and beat his man with no help around in case he loses it. We know what he brings to the SE where he doesn't have to do as much defending and can save energy for attacking runs.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Kabalega wrote:Barca are something else.
At the 65th minute I told Chelsea fans that Barca would score in the next 10 minutes.

Never on Petr Cech in a Chelsea shirt...btw they scored from a mistake...
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

platinum wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

No bruv, it wasn't because only barca was cautious. Paulinho was just not at the races and no surprise they took him off. Chelsea had way too many counters so if barca was trying to be cautious, they failed woefully. Willian....that boy was good today but he killed counters for fun as well.
*they should have given dembele the chance to run at chelsea like i said in the game but at some point, i think they decided 1-1 was okay.

How many successful counters did Chelsea have?

I thought Barca controlled Chelsea very well wrt counterattacks. I cannot recall one completely executed counter from back to front in the game and that led to a chance being created or a shot on goal...

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Ugbowo wrote:
analyzer wrote:
txj wrote:
analyzer wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

Analyzer/Txj,

What did you make of the false 9?

I had major reservations going in and somewhat think it held us back but im open to debate.

We knew the high press was coming, we knew we wont be able to play out of the back the way want to, we knew we would have to punt long when we cant play short. Every time we punted long they got it back. Conte tried to switch it and play long but wide but Courtois leg game is not good enough. We lost it every time.

I felt it robbed Chelsea of opportunities to create more attacks and retain possession higher up the field. Pique won 100% of the aerial duels he contested prior to Morata coming on. Morata won 2 out of 3 in 10 mins.

I also think if we had a physical presence upfront, maybe Christenses doesn't try that pass across his goal? Could that have been a function of him sick of giving possession away every time we punted?

Also think Hazard is always more influential coming in from the left as opposed to starting central. I don't think it would have been too much to ask of him to do the defensive work Pedro did today especially with the 5-4-1 sometimes 5-5-0 blocks we showed them. Pedro was mainly only defending 30 m of grass in the first half.

This Barca team is definitely there for the taking and I really think Chelsea let them off the hook today.
I truly believe Chelsea would've been well beaten had they played the way you suggest, and the way I too thought they would play.

And it was not so much the false 9 as the players used upfront, because it allowed Chelsea the work rate on the flanks and esp made possible the deep diagonals and the ability to switch play, while varying the position of Hazard.

And had Hazard played anywhere on the flanks, without a compensating presence in central MF, Chelsea would've been well beaten.

Most EPL followers do not realize the difference in this Barca side and how quickly they can switch and become threatening from an initial build up phase...

Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

paj wrote:
Kabalega wrote:Barca are something else.

Never on Petr Cech in a Chelsea shirt...btw they scored from a mistake...
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: We heard that in 2009 too.
BTW, Chelsea also scored from a mistake.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Funny enough I thought Chelsea was comfortable. Cortoius was a passenger for most of the game and when we threatened it was always with intent. I thought we'd be rolled over but now I think we have a chance against this Barca team. Their defense is not great.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

airwolex wrote:Funny enough I thought Chelsea was comfortable. Cortoius was a passenger for most of the game and when we threatened it was always with intent. I thought we'd be rolled over but now I think we have a chance against this Barca team. Their defense is not great.
Of Courtois was confortable. He had a 10 men in front of his goal. And Barca gifted him corner kicks in the 2nd half.

Barca's defense has improved a lot. They have been working on it, unfortunately at the expense of the offense. They have conceded just 2 goals in the CL so far.

When they sharpen that offense, which shouldn't take much, I wouldn't fancy Chelsea's defense on keeping Courtois comfortable.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Kabalega wrote:
airwolex wrote:Funny enough I thought Chelsea was comfortable. Cortoius was a passenger for most of the game and when we threatened it was always with intent. I thought we'd be rolled over but now I think we have a chance against this Barca team. Their defense is not great.
Of Courtois was confortable. He had a 10 men in front of his goal. And Barca gifted him corner kicks in the 2nd half.

Barca's defense has improved a lot. They have been working on it, unfortunately at the expense of the offense. They have conceded just 2 goals in the CL so far.

When they sharpen that offense, which shouldn't take much, I wouldn't fancy Chelsea's defense on keeping Courtois comfortable.
So Tes Tergen had 2 men in front of him? :D

Like I said, possession without testing the keeper is super comfortable. I'll take that any day.

Their defense looked shaky to me. Our one twos and flicks befuddled them all day. Not saying we will win the tie but this Barca team looks more dangerous than they really are. After a while you get used to all their possession and realize that it's more bark than bite.