Dembele is almost as good as Okocha

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet
Dembele is almost as good as Okocha

Post by Prince »

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/tottenha ... pochettino

LONDON -- Mauricio Pochettino has named Tottenham midfielder Mousa Dembele among a select group of five geniuses he has been lucky enough to work with in his career.

Pochettino ranked Dembele alongside his ex-roommate Diego Maradona, his former Paris Saint-Germain teammates Ronaldinho and Jay-Jay Okocha, and Ivan de la Pena, the midfielder he played with and managed at Espanyol. He also said Dembele would have become one of the best players in the world if he had been his manager as a teenager.

"I always say, 'Mousa, in my book, you will be one of my genius players that I have been lucky to meet,'" Pochettino said.

"One was Maradona, then Ronaldinho, Okocha and De La Pena. He is a genius too, Moussa Dembele. We always told him, 'If we had taken you at eighteen or nineteen years old, you would have become one of the best players in the world.' I would have loved to have taken him on at 18."

Dembele has become a crucial part of Pochettino's Tottenham team -- so much so that he joked in August that Spurs "do not exist" without the Belgian -- but he was a bit-part player during the manager's first season at the club, starting just 10 league games.

Pochettino credited Spurs' conditioning and medical team, led by assistant manager Jesus Perez, for turning Dembele around but said the 29-year-old, who still suffers from a persistent foot problem, has worked hard to improve his fitness.

"Mousa Dembele is completely different to two-and-a-half years ago when we arrived here. He didn't play too much in his first season, he always had problems, or physical problems. I must give all credit to these guys," Pochettino said, pointing to Perez. "Sports science and all the medical staff to create a Mousa Dembele now that is strong and can play. I think that every week if you are honest, you would agree with me.

"He has started to work very hard. We provide individual plans to every player. I think we are very happy."

Dembele personifies Tottenham's transformation under Pochettino from a talented team widely considered to be a soft touch to the hardest team to beat in the Premier League.

The Belgian is often credited for his immense strength but every one of Pochettino's players must be strong and fit in order to play the high-intensity pressing football he demands.

His team's aggression will again be essential for Saturday's Premier League match at Burnley, who have won nine of their 14 home matches at Turf Moor.

"Burnley are a very aggressive team. They are a very strong team and very well organised. They play very well on the counter-attack and with long balls. And if you are not ready to fight in every challenge and every action, then you will find it tough. So we need to be ready to fight because they are in a very tough situation," Pochettino said.

"You can play all the nice football and tiki-taka, but in the Premier League sometimes you must fight to win. When you play Burnley you must play well with the ball, but when you don't have it you must be ready to fight.

"I have tried to convince them that football is not only when you have the ball," he explained. "When you don't have the football, it is football too. To fight, to press, to challenge with your opponent. Not wait and be passive. We need to be aggressive and proactive and to try to challenge the opponent. That is how we are on the training sessions, every single exercise or drill is about playing football but fighting too, when you don't have the ball.

"I like to fight with them [in training] to show them I am more stronger than them, mental and physical. Sometimes physical I lose the challenge because they are physically stronger, but I am more strong here," he said, pointing to his head.
Last edited by Prince on Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oya back to the matter
open and close
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Dembele is almost as good as Okocha

Post by danfo driver »

I think you should paste the story here.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

danfo driver wrote:I think you should paste the story here.
Or at least a part of it so we know who made that claim. Just putting up a link? That's some lazy Ayo sheeit! :arrow:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

I was trying to get them belittle oga
Oya back to the matter
open and close
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Prince wrote:
Prince; thanks for posting the 'FULL content' of the article here, instead of posting only the link and a sentence
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Prince wrote:
Belittle oga,how?
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The guy is really good and really silky, hard to get the ball off him. Loving the JJ praise, everybody who knows anything about footie hails our JJ!
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Blasphemy!
http://www.naijiant.com/
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

E don see JJ finish. Not similar players.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Comical comparison...na yam?
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Dembele, sorry about the comparison...i doubt anyone kills as many birds
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Mauricio Pochettino much respect hope you leave spurs soon.He knows a genius and I remember when he was trying to take Jay Jay to Argentina for holiday to sleep with some girls so Jay Jay could pregnant them and give Argentina more genius kids with his royal sperm.
I wish Abacha had ask Jay Jay to pregnant girls in every tribe of Naija to produce few more genius