My take on Oliseh wahala in Holland

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Senator WIRES
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: My take on Oliseh wahala in Holland

Post by Senator WIRES »

Oliseh might be eventually vindicated in this brouhaha with the TURKS :P ....This is what I gathered from some reports and comment provided by the indefatigable Mike Gleeson :lol:
"BIAFRA is a FAILED Project!! "Biafranism tends to make people hard of intellectual hearing"-ohsee.
!

"the problem with you people is that you want every thing to be Igbo and you pronounce it Igbo and then force it to be Igbo" IKWERREMAN
"The trouble with you is that you are blinded by prejudice and only see what you want to see." CIC to Dr. SAB
"..there are a handful of mindless Igbos on this forum that are an embarrassment to themselves"CiC
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Odas wrote:
txj wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Thanks for the update. Care to share any updates with us, or should we wait until the case goes to court? We also want our respect for Oliseh to increase tremendously.
No you don't, you weasel!

You want to find ways to further attack him without any benefits of the doubt whatsoever. You should be man enough to admit it, not pussying about like a chicken!!!
Some people in this Site didn't and still does not give Oliseh any 'benefit of the doubt.' They immediately were in the 'I-told-you-so' position; therefore, it was Oliseh's fault.

As observed, many of those people are the SAME ones clamoring for Vince Enyeama's invitation to SE's camp, or to be taken to Russia because he (Vince) is the best. Certainly, they felt long ago Vince was right for being insubordinate to his boss and so, Oliseh was at fault and, from what is happening, they have been exonerated.
If anything you are the one who seems to link Vince and Oliseh together. If you want to know the true feeling about Oliseh look at the thread when he was appointed. Many of those who have questioned Oliseh's temperament hailed his appointment. Most people who want Vince back want him because of his experience with the SE. You may choose to disagree but it is not unusual that fans want an experienced goalkeeper with over 100 caps to represent his country in the WC if he is fit.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Yiba wrote:I received a colleague's report on Oliseh last night and must confess that my respect for him increased tremendously.

If you read between the lines about all the comments posted here, one would come to the conclusion that Oliseh has a tendency to press the self-destruct button all the time.

The case with his employers might go to court. But one thing that is clear from the report is that there is a conspiracy against Oliseh. It is aimed at undermining his efforts in taking a club from obscurity to limelight.

Both sides will have their day in court. However, Oliseh continues to blaze a trail in an environment, where black coaches are licking arses to get a job.

Oliseh's weakness is his no-nonsense approach in his affairs, and not shying away from confrontation. I have been there in my sojourn abroad, and it could get you into trouble in some quarters.

I feel sad that CE members have already taken sides without understanding the complexity of the issues at stake.

It boils down to money, power and egos.
I absolutely agree with you. I see where Oliseh is coming from. He is stubbornly principled and strangely this is in-part a source of his problems. I admire him. Young people should borrow a leaf from his book.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Yiba wrote:
kawawa wrote:
Yiba wrote:I received a colleague's report on Oliseh last night and must confess that my respect for him increased tremendously.

If you read between the lines about all the comments posted here, one would come to the conclusion that Oliseh has a tendency to press the self-destruct button all the time.

The case with his employers might go to court. But one thing that is clear from the report is that there is a conspiracy against Oliseh. It is aimed at undermining his efforts in taking a club from obscurity to limelight.

Both sides will have their day in court. However, Oliseh continues to blaze a trail in an environment, where black coaches are licking arses to get a job.

Oliseh's weakness is his no-nonsense approach in his affairs, and not shying away from confrontation. I have been there in my sojourn abroad, and it could get you into trouble in some quarters.

I feel sad that CE members have already taken sides without understanding the complexity of the issues at stake.

Second hand reports are not exactly very compelling. We should just wait until it goes to court. Colleagues report well be as it be...second hand
Based on your comment above, it is clear that you have made up your mind. It is a matter of time before the drama comes to the court.As an African, I am rooting for Oliseh.
I am neutral. I do not take sides just because someone is an African. I would like to hear from both sides under oath. I have no reason to doubt or believe Oliseh but I refuse to succumb to the paradoxical racism of “ as an African...”
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

aruako1 wrote:
Odas wrote:
txj wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:Thanks for the update. Care to share any updates with us, or should we wait until the case goes to court? We also want our respect for Oliseh to increase tremendously.

You want to find ways to further attack him without any benefits of the doubt whatsoever. You should be man enough to admit it, not pussying about like a chicken!!!
Some people in this Site didn't and still does not give Oliseh any 'benefit of the doubt.' They immediately were in the 'I-told-you-so' position; therefore, it was Oliseh's fault.

As observed, many of those people are the SAME ones clamoring for Vince Enyeama's invitation to SE's camp, or to be taken to Russia because he (Vince) is the best. Certainly, they felt long ago Vince was right for being insubordinate to his boss and so, Oliseh was at fault and, from what is happening, they have been exonerated.
If anything you are the one who seems to link Vince and Oliseh together. If you want to know the true feeling about Oliseh look at the thread when he was appointed. Many of those who have questioned Oliseh's temperament hailed his appointment. Most people who want Vince back want him because of his experience with the SE. You may choose to disagree but it is not unusual that fans want an experienced goalkeeper with over 100 caps to represent his country in the WC if he is fit.
Bringing up that thread spoils the narratives that many of the CE are "haters".
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Odas wrote:
txj wrote:

Bringing up that thread spoils the narratives that many of the CE are "haters".
I remember arguing then that the issues in 2002 were not Oliseh's fault (I still agree with his stance in 2002) and that he was a worthy SE coach.
Eclipse
Egg
Egg

Post by Eclipse »

Odas wrote:

Yiba: Many people who has lived in Oyibo-country, schooled and worked with them will fully understand what is in the AIR and what you have written. I don't mean those who simply came to Oyibo-land for SUMMER vacation, or for business trip and et al.

A lot of times, it is always your fault no matter what, unless you are the #$%-LICKING type. However, that is how it is and we have to ADJUST and, work with it. This is where I will blame Oliseh if at the end, he is at fault.
Bors Odas, i second your statement. Unless you have worked with white people and know how they operate especially against some black man that comes in and shows them up, a lot of people on this site won't get it.When your employer feels the need to go into a "dressing room" and force your employees to "sign" statements against the manager resulting in a split dressing room and a bad run of form, you definitely know what's up.

White people are definitely up there when it comes to envy, jealousy and acting on these emotions. Don't think because they are in the western hemisphere these emotions do not exist.

The signed statements were an "#$% covering" act because they knew oliseh was coming for them..nothing more, nothing less!
only the super eagles of nigeria are capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-total football magazine circa june 02'
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

I cant speak for others. My only issue with Oliseh in this recent case with his last employer was when he took to twitter when he should have kept his mouth shut, collected hard evidence, hired a badass lawyer and raked some serious dough in court that would set him up for life.

Real bad boys move in silence and violence.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

charlie wrote:I cant speak for others. My only issue with Oliseh in this recent case with his last employer was when he took to twitter when he should have kept his mouth shut, collected hard evidence, hired a badass lawyer and raked some serious dough in court that would set him up for life.

Real bad boys move in silence and violence.
:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The fact is that nothing that Yiba has stated here proves Oliseh is innocent of the charges. IMHO, we know very little about whether the club or Oliseh is stating the truth. That is left for the courts. Furthermore, it is a leap to assume that those who have not come out to support Oliseh or to affirm his innocence are certainly haters. That is, in my view, a very simplistic conclusion.

Further, what most people have spoken about in Oliseh's case is not about his credibility. What they have focused their attention on is his use of twitter and the FACT that he has been embroiled in these controversies over time. I use FACT intentionally.

One thing that appears difficult is for people to realize that on Oliseh's issue, as well as some other issues, there are several perspectives and numerous strands of focus. To assume that everyone who wrote on Oliseh's case have challenged his credibility is grossly inaccurate. For instance, in my case I have focused on a remote issue i.e that his tweet has traces of intentionality which can be unpacked by the text in his tweet and the circumstances under which he tweeted.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Hate on CE for SO in this case is NOT from failure to affirm his innocence or support for him.
Rather, it is from unwillingness to give him any benefit of the doubt.

First you misstate the issue, then you proceed to argue on the basis of a non entity.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

txj wrote:Hate on CE for SO in this case is NOT from failure to affirm his innocence or support for him.
Rather, it is from unwillingness to give him any benefit of the doubt.

First you misstate the issue, then you proceed to argue on the basis of a non entity.
Where was the hate when he was appointed as SE coach? Even the response to his Fortuna appointment was overwhelmingly positive. However the issues with his temperament are well known and many (including some of his vocal supporters on CE) feel that he should not have sent the tweet but taken this issue before the authorities first. Personally I know he will get another chance but feel that he should manage conflict better.
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

I read the response from a majority of CE members who questioned Sunday Oliseh's timing for sending the tweet. FYI, the Holland club wanted to destroy Oliseh by every means necessary. Sunday Oliseh is a brand in professional sports, and Oliseh had no choice but to defend himself ASAP.

What many of you fail to understand is the fact that in professional sports, it is different from a corporate job with laid down structures.

Also, the environment that Oliseh finds himself is polarized. A black guy and an African who is opinionated do not sell in a profession that is based on 'paddy paddy' basis.

Oliseh's tweet made the club grapple effortlessly to come up with a rebuttal. It took them by surprise.

Oliseh is not the docile type who chooses to sacrifice his brand for the ungrateful club. In my books, he is a trailblazer.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

Yiba wrote:I read the response from a majority of CE members who questioned Sunday Oliseh's timing for sending the tweet. FYI, the Holland club wanted to destroy Oliseh by every means necessary. Sunday Oliseh is a brand in professional sports, and Oliseh had no choice but to defend himself ASAP.

What many of you fail to understand is the fact that in professional sports, it is different from a corporate job with laid down structures.

Also, the environment that Oliseh finds himself is polarized. A black guy and an African who is opinionated do not sell in a profession that is based on 'paddy paddy' basis.

Oliseh's tweet made the club grapple effortlessly to come up with a rebuttal. It took them by surprise.

Oliseh is not the docile type who chooses to sacrifice his brand for the ungrateful club. In my books, he is a trailblazer.
Nonsense.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

zee wrote:
Yiba wrote:I read the response from a majority of CE members who questioned Sunday Oliseh's timing for sending the tweet. FYI, the Holland club wanted to destroy Oliseh by every means necessary. Sunday Oliseh is a brand in professional sports, and Oliseh had no choice but to defend himself ASAP.

Nonsense.
If txj catches you, my hand no dey dia o
AFCON 2019 sweet o

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Can you please explain to me why the club will conspire to sabotage his efforts at helping the team succeed? The better Oliseh does, the better it is for their brand. If they wanted him to fail so they could sack him then why did they hire him in the first place? So I have a hard time believing that the club as a whole is conspiring against his on-field efforts.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yiba,

Unfortunately, it is not about being docile. Image repair has a distinctive process and is well studied Let me refer you to William Benoit's work on image repair or Coombs' work as well which you can easily locate via google. These processes are widely used by athletes as well as the biggest corporations.

Oliseh's approach to image repair was not the best. The club may well have attempted to damage his image but his attempt at repair was poor TBH. I too believe that Oliseh should be able to respond to any attempt to damage his image . However, the sack itself or the suspension does not damage a coach's image as it is an expectation of the business. What is damaging is the club's claim of his managerial style. That he can respond to but needs the advice of professionals or PR guys to be effective because what he did in that tweet does him very little favor.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

theYemster wrote:

Can you please explain to me why the club will conspire to sabotage his efforts at helping the team succeed? The better Oliseh does, the better it is for their brand. If they wanted him to fail so they could sack him then why did they hire him in the first place? So I have a hard time believing that the club as a whole is conspiring against his on-field efforts.

Dude, you need to come out and congratulate me and my SUPER DUPER EAGLES of Philadelphia :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Dude, you need to come out and congratulate me and my SUPER DUPER EAGLES of Philadelphia :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
Congrats. Like I told Dolly even before the game, it shouldn't be the worst thing in the world of the Philly Giggles won. I'm happy for Jay...being the first Superbowl in team history, he's already attained Philly legendary status.

We'll be back next year. That said, Belichick is a goat for benching Butler. I suspect Rowe was a double agent for y'all. :)
Last edited by theYemster on Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

zee wrote:

Nonsense.

:rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

theYemster wrote:

Sisi Yemisi how bodi? I was getting worried about you :taunt: :taunt:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
Yiba
Egg
Egg

Post by Yiba »

Enugu II wrote:

Yiba,

Unfortunately, it is not about being docile. Image repair has a distinctive process and is well studied Let me refer you to William Benoit's work on image repair or Coombs' work as well which you can easily locate via google. These processes are widely used by athletes as well as the biggest corporations.

Oliseh's approach to image repair was not the best. The club may well have attempted to damage his image but his attempt at repair was poor TBH. I too believe that Oliseh should be able to respond to any attempt to damage his image . However, the sack itself or the suspension does not damage a coach's image as it is an expectation of the business. What is damaging is the club's claim of his managerial style. That he can respond to but needs the advice of professionals or PR guys to be effective because what he did in that tweet does him very little favor.
Enugu II,

There is a saying that hindsight is 20/20. Oliseh is learning on the job and I believe, he would be tactful next time.

I remember that the current Bayern coach Jupp Hencykes made some 'mistakes' as far back as 26 years ago. Today, nobody talks about it.

Advising Oliseh not to respond in the manner he did, is akin to telling Donald Trump to stay away from Twitter. It is a PR's nightmare.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Yiba wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Yiba,

Enugu II,

There is a saying that hindsight is 20/20. Oliseh is learning on the job and I believe, he would be tactful next time.

I remember that the current Bayern coach Jupp Hencykes made some 'mistakes' as far back as 26 years ago. Today, nobody talks about it.

Advising Oliseh not to respond in the manner he did, is akin to telling Donald Trump to stay away from Twitter. It is a PR's nightmare.
Yiba,

I agree with you. TBH, I want this guy to be successful because he has the tool and is at the vanguard. It isn't just his coaching ability which is already demonstrated but he has the intelligence. IMHO, he needs help with his public relations which is lacking at the moment. If he gets that together, the sky is his limit. That really is my problem with him.