Oliseh: the downfall of Africa’s managerial trailblazer

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Oliseh: the downfall of Africa’s managerial trailblazer

Post by The YeyeMan »

Sunday Oliseh: the strange downfall of Africa’s managerial trailblazer

The former Nigeria midfielder transformed Fortuna Sittard and was a beacon of hope for African coaches in Europe until things went rapidly downhill

Nick Ames
Sun 25 Feb 2018 08.30 GMT
The Observer

Perhaps Sunday Oliseh knew more than he was letting on when, on the first Monday of February, he imagined a time when Fortuna Sittard would not want him around. “Maybe I’m not here next week,” he said. “Maybe tomorrow I’ll come here and they say: ‘Coach, you’re sacked, we don’t want you here any more.’”

Outwardly Oliseh was reflecting on the transience of life as a manager but, as it happened, he was only eight days off beam. It was Valentine’s Day when the Dutch second-tier club announced he had been put on “non-active duties” – suspended, in effect – for “unacceptable actions [that] have made cooperation between many people within the organisation impossible”; a case is now pending to the Dutch FA’s arbitration committee to determine whether his contract can be terminated.

It completed the rapid change in appearance of a story that, when the Observer first arranged to interview Oliseh, appeared to bring little but good feeling. When Oliseh, the former Ajax, Borussia Dortmund and Cologne midfielder, took charge of Fortuna in December 2016 they were placed 18th in a 20-team division and freefalling to the point of oblivion; at the midway point of this season they were top of the pile and had won the second of the league’s four “period titles”. They won seven league games in a row between November and January, before which they had broken a club record by winning eight consecutive home fixtures. The team was young, the goals raining in, the football free-flowing: at the turn of the year it was, unreservedly, a tale of success.

Yet rumours began to surface of trouble behind the scenes and Oliseh had a practice run for what followed when, a fortnight prior to his suspension, he was greeted by bemused faces upon arriving at work. “I opened the door of the dressing room and my assistant said ‘Have you read the newspaper? You’ve been sacked.’ He showed me on his phone and I thought ‘Oh, that’s nice, a nice way to hear that. Then, 10 minutes later, the club put out a statement saying that they hadn’t sacked me.’”
The rest of the article is here:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... na-sittard
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Oliseh: the downfall of Africa’s managerial trailblazer

Post by Damunk »

I really hope he gets a new coaching job in an even better club.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Lets keep praying he gets back on the managerial horse and a lot wiser this time.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:Lets keep praying he gets back on the managerial horse and a lot wiser this time.
... 'a lot wiser?' Please, exactly what did Oliseh do?
Last edited by Odas on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
100%Naija
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by 100%Naija »

Africa's gini? Buhahaha y'all tripping. For real!!!!
I'm the biggest boss that you've seen thus far, Reppin' PH & NGR to the Fullest
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=158494
Babafad wrote: My brother, dis money go scatter akara for inside oil. Just dey watch!
realtrouble
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by realtrouble »

Sunday Oliseh: the strange downfall of Africa’s managerial trailblazer
The former Nigeria midfielder transformed Fortuna Sittard and was a beacon of hope for African coaches in Europe until things went rapidly downhill

Perhaps Sunday Oliseh knew more than he was letting on when, on the first Monday of February, he imagined a time when Fortuna Sittard would not want him around. “Maybe I’m not here next week,” he said. “Maybe tomorrow I’ll come here and they say: ‘Coach, you’re sacked, we don’t want you here any more.’”

Outwardly Oliseh was reflecting on the transience of life as a manager but, as it happened, he was only eight days off beam. It was Valentine’s Day when the Dutch second-tier club announced he had been put on “non-active duties” – suspended, in effect – for “unacceptable actions [that] have made cooperation between many people within the organisation impossible”; a case is now pending to the Dutch FA’s arbitration committee to determine whether his contract can be terminated.

It completed the rapid change in appearance of a story that, when the Observer first arranged to interview Oliseh, appeared to bring little but good feeling. When Oliseh, the former Ajax, Borussia Dortmund and Cologne midfielder, took charge of Fortuna in December 2016 they were placed 18th in a 20-team division and freefalling to the point of oblivion; at the midway point of this season they were top of the pile and had won the second of the league’s four “period titles”. They won seven league games in a row between November and January, before which they had broken a club record by winning eight consecutive home fixtures. The team was young, the goals raining in, the football free-flowing: at the turn of the year it was, unreservedly, a tale of success.

Yet rumours began to surface of trouble behind the scenes and Oliseh had a practice run for what followed when, a fortnight prior to his suspension, he was greeted by bemused faces upon arriving at work. “I opened the door of the dressing room and my assistant said ‘Have you read the newspaper? You’ve been sacked.’ He showed me on his phone and I thought ‘Oh, that’s nice, a nice way to hear that. Then, 10 minutes later, the club put out a statement saying that they hadn’t sacked me.’”

That is a broadly accurate version of events but the feeling, upon meeting Oliseh in that brief spell between dismissals real and imagined, was that the die had been cast. His team’s form had dipped and they had just lost three consecutive matches. “It’s been a strange week, stressful,” he admitted of the reports. “It’s weighed on the team and how to get it out of them now is something I don’t really know. It’s really sad when you look at the job God has blessed me to. But I really don’t have anything to fault myself on. Everything I’ve done is in the interests of getting the team to be good, working like hell.”

Something was rankling and it surfaced, to a point, via an extraordinary tweet written by Oliseh within hours of his suspension. He said the club’s decision was “due to my refusal to participate in illegal actions at Fortuna Sittard and violate the law” and pointedly referenced Fortuna’s “foreign owners”. Their majority shareholder has, since July 2016, been the Turkish entrepreneur Isitan Gun; the club responded fiercely to the allegations with a statement that described them as “unfounded” and confirmed it will be taking legal action. In a follow-up conversation with the Observer, Oliseh said he could not elaborate on the remarks for legal reasons but that his departure was “a relief, after all”.

xplanations will presumably materialise in good time; local media had, even during Fortuna’s blistering early-season run, cast doubt on Oliseh’s relationships with various figures at the club, describing his style as autocratic and dictatorial. He has certainly never been a shrinking violet but contends there was a “vendetta” and, while admitting he is an “intense coach”, points to the huge improvement in results and style his methods wrought.

The timing of the split is unfortunate. Oliseh had been blazing a trail: a relative managerial novice beyond short spells in charge of his national team and two lower-league clubs in Belgium, the 1996 Olympic gold medal winner with Nigeria had been set fair to become the only African manager in charge of a top-flight team in Europe. “I receive tons of emails from African coaches who ask me what I did to get this far and if I have any ideas for how to do their coaching badges,” he said. “Many of them tell me my success may help their own progress. There’s some form of pressure in that, but it’s inspiring.”

That is a tale that will have to be revisited in his next employment, and enough suitors have shown their hand to suggest a new chapter will be forthcoming. For now, though, Oliseh must disentangle himself from a decidedly strange situation in the far south-east of the Netherlands that degenerated at an alarming rate of knots.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... na-sittard