How Guardiola is revolutionizing English football

Discuss World Football here. Continental football, International Leagues, and players.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: How Guardiola is revolutionizing English football

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

txj wrote:@ Waffi,
Maslov is one of the true greats in football. Interestingly, Pep in some of his earlier interviews, references his work.

Innovation in football does not occur in a vacuum; it builds on what was preceding...

Prior to his arrival in England, the EPL was always presented as Pep waterloo, where those fancy tiki-taka ideas will turn turkey. It is true, his work with City cannot be viewed in isolation from those who came before him, beginning with Wenger. But he has taken what was, to new heights, and not just in his tactical formulations but the ability to use playing systems in a manner that enhances player freshness. Its been stunning how little he has rotated the squad given the games/competitions. Yes, he has rotated, but not at the level one would have thought...

Its a huge mistake to reduce this to finances. True they have spent a lot of money, but he could've used those same players playing counterattacking football, like Jose was doing with Ronaldo and co in Madrid, even against Levante!

But I still think he got lucky this season that LFC screwed up its transfer dealings in the summer....but that's just me :winking:
Ironically, Maslov is ranked below Valeriy Lobanovskiy in Russia/USSR. Did Maslov coach the national team in 1958 WW, where Brazil defeated them with the legendary Lev Yashin in goal?
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Maslov is one of the true greats in football. Interestingly, Pep in some of his earlier interviews, references his work.

Innovation in football does not occur in a vacuum; it builds on what was preceding...

Prior to his arrival in England, the EPL was always presented as Pep waterloo, where those fancy tiki-taka ideas will turn turkey. It is true, his work with City cannot be viewed in isolation from those who came before him, beginning with Wenger. But he has taken what was, to new heights, and not just in his tactical formulations but the ability to use playing systems in a manner that enhances player freshness. Its been stunning how little he has rotated the squad given the games/competitions. Yes, he has rotated, but not at the level one would have thought...

Its a huge mistake to reduce this to finances. True they have spent a lot of money, but he could've used those same players playing counterattacking football, like Jose was doing with Ronaldo and co in Madrid, even against Levante!

But I still think he got lucky this season that LFC screwed up its transfer dealings in the summer....but that's just me :winking:
Ironically, Maslov is ranked below Valeriy Lobanovskiy in Russia/USSR. Did Maslov coach the national team in 1958 WW, where Brazil defeated them with the legendary Lev Yashin in goal?
True story. Lobanovsky is a god of Russian footie.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

charlie wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
charlie wrote:Any coach can win big trophies if they have a blank check to buy the best players in the world.
You probably didn’t think this through. You sound like a bitter Arsenal fan.
Ad hominem. If you have a counter point, make it.
If you dont, STFU.
Chief, learn to recognize irony so you don't make yourself look bad by insulting an elder who agrees with you. :idea:
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

ohsee wrote:
charlie wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
charlie wrote:Any coach can win big trophies if they have a blank check to buy the best players in the world.
You probably didn’t think this through. You sound like a bitter Arsenal fan.
Ad hominem. If you have a counter point, make it.
If you dont, STFU.
Chief, learn to recognize irony so you don't make yourself look bad by insulting an elder who agrees with you. :idea:

charlie get hot belle, Chief O go soon send am go 'pick pin' for corner of forum :lol:
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

He couldn't revolutionize against Wigan. Just saying!
Squabble not 4ble!
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:

Of course he is. Lobanovsky had a far longer career. E.g. he manage Dynamo Kiev for 17 years, Maslov did for 6. Lobanovsky learnt a lot from Maslov and Maslov's teaching formed the foundation of his career.

Maslov was not the most liked of personalities cos he was stubborn. He was refused the USSR job cos of the conditions he set before taking the job. He was not the Manager in 1958, Gavriil Kachalin was.

Maslov was a pioneer who was not recognised in his time. It was Lobanovsky who hailed him and his contributions before he started getting his due. Like Maslov, IMHO Lobanovsky was a football genius. First man to compute data in football. One of my great memories was watching his Kiev side beat Arsenal in the CL at Wembley.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

benteke wrote:Nothing tangible in the article that talks about revolutionizing.
Pep is not the first manager to win things by moving one or two players to another role, and he shall not be the last.
He did it with Bayern, playing a fullback Lahm in midfield, but such situations are more a testament of the brilliance of the players involved in executing such daring tactics.

In this case i would like to pay tribute to Fernandinho, a great midfield player who does 3 jobs at once with so much ease.
He creates from deep lying positions, he is the main defensive midfielder and is also a centre back, he is the one who makes it easier for Pep to play Kevin and Silva in central midfield.
Credit to Pep for harnessing so much talent.
It's focus is more on they style of football played. Shifting the personnel explains a bit of the puzzle.
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

balo wrote:He couldn't revolutionize against Wigan. Just saying!
Squabble not 4ble!
But they revolutionized against the vast majority of the teams they played so far this season and are 16 points clear and a trophy in the bag. Just saying.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Folks are just emotional because Pep has proved them wrong

I watched Lobanovsky's teams. I watched the Invincibles. And the truth is none of them is as tactically varied as Pep. Those teams did not have the possession stats his teams have. They dared not play as high up the field. They didn't have goalies that passed the ball like Pep's teams. In fact show me a coach that insisted that his teams especially the goalie play the ball out of the back. When it comes to tactical variation no one does it like Pep and we've seen hid this at all the teams he's coached. He can make in game adjustments as well as off game. We've seen him use some of the most brilliant tactics ever used with some truly groundbreaking.

Pep has revolutionized the game in England because he's playing a style that's never been seen in that league. Just the fact that teams are being forced to adjust to this style is reason to call his impact a revolution.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!
But they revolutionized against the vast majority of the teams they played so far this season and are 16 points clear and a trophy in the bag. Just saying.

It doesn't mean he revolutionized anything. Last season, Chelsea were the runaway team. They did not revolutionize jack to be winners.

This season, a lot of things fell favorably for Pep.

Liverpool with defensive woes.
Man U with injury woes
Chelsea - penny-pinching and a knuckle-head coach
Arsenal - lost the plot with Wenger
Man C - buying right.
SPURS - Injuries (Wanyama and Alderw....)

Remove all the indices above and the league becomes tighter. I am not saying Pep is a bad coach, but he didn't revo anything.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

What exactly has fallen favorably for Pep? The fact that he is on course to break almost every record from goals scored, total pts, wins, away wins, margin of pt difference etc etc is all down to things falling favorably for Pep? Okaaaaay :lol:

balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

It doesn't mean he revolutionized anything. Last season, Chelsea were the runaway team. They did not revolutionize jack to be winners.

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Remove all the indices above and the league becomes tighter. I am not saying Pep is a bad coach, but he didn't revo anything.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

YUJAM wrote:What exactly has fallen favorably for Pep? The fact that he is on course to break almost every record from goals scored, total pts, wins, away wins, margin of pt difference etc etc is all down to things falling favorably for Pep? Okaaaaay :lol:

balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Yes. Is he the same Pep from last season or is this season Pep from some outer space?

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

All the teams that started playing 3 in the back in the EPL will beg to differ.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:
balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Are you saying Pep started that trend?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
benteke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by benteke »

The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Pep Guardiola invented everything that you see his Manchester City team doing. Even the way they dive is revolutionary
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Are you now color blind? That would be the only explanation why you would failed to see what was clearly highlighted in my response. Perhaps you live in an alternate universe where pep coached chelsea, and they won the title last season playing 3 in the back :D
Last edited by metalalloy on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

benteke wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Pep Guardiola invented everything that you see his Manchester City team doing. Even the way they dive is revolutionary
:clap: :clap: Hopefully he invents a few brains for some folks in this thread.

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Chelsea were the run away leaders last year because with no champions league football they only had to focus on the league.

The rest of the excuses you listed aren't Pep and Man City's problems. They have been the best team so far this campaign and the league table proves it.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:Are you now color blind? That would be the only explanation why you would failed to see what was clearly highlighted in my response. Perhaps you live in an alternate universe where pep coached chelsea, and they won the title last season playing 3 in the back :D
Yes, actually.

Try to be clear. Being funny isn't for you. :D
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Are you now color blind? That would be the only explanation why you would failed to see what was clearly highlighted in my response. Perhaps you live in an alternate universe where pep coached chelsea, and they won the title last season playing 3 in the back :D
Yes, actually.

the quote specifically talked about "last season" "chelsea" and "winning"

If Pep is what you deduce after reading all that, being "color blind" is the least of your problems :taunt:

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Mr. Piffington wrote:
balo wrote:
Mr. Piffington wrote:
Squabble not 4ble!

Man U with injury woes
Man C - buying right.

Chelsea were the run away leaders last year because with no champions league football they only had to focus on the league.

The rest of the excuses you listed aren't Pep and Man City's problems. They have been the best team so far this campaign and the league table proves it.

Pep is such a revolutionary, he wasn't part of the EPL last season.
He should be winning the EPL for the next few seasons until he moves on.
Unless Wigan makes it to the EPL.

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

metalalloy wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Yes, actually.

If Pep is what you deduce after reading all that, being "color blind" is the least of your problems :taunt:
So you think Pep invented three at the back? This guy! :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

The YeyeMan wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Yes, actually.

So you think Pep invented three at the back? This guy! :lol:

I think Conte "invented" 3 at the back. Says Metalalloy