Without a holding midfielder I worry for the SE

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Without a holding midfielder I worry for the SE

Post by smartbrother »

Right now Nigeria is very good at playing counterattacking football
but if we want to dominate possession and control our matches at the WC we need a holding midfielder
furthermore we need a someone who can ease the burden on our central defenders Balogun and Ekong neither of whom is comfortable in possession
Without a Holding Midfielder, we will struggle to play the ball out of defence

We have a a great AM - Mikel
We have a great box to box - Ndidi
We need a decent Holding midfielder
Azuibuike and Esiti come to mind
Hope Rohr recognizes this and does the needful
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Without a holding midfielder I worry for the SE

Post by Kabalega »

It’s too late to start controlling possession.
Argentina will play possession better than you.
The less said about Rakitic, Modric and company, the better. :)
Iceland too.

Just play your game and hope for best. :D
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Personally I think Nigeria is easily capable of dominating possession v Iceland ,Croatia and most of European sides
Even if we cannot control possession for 90mins it is important to have the ability to keep possession for short spells of the game
Especially if we were defending a lead
What some don't realise is that when a team takes the lead possession football is the actually the most important tool it has in terms of preserving that lead
more important than good defending
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

What sort of nonsense is this? A team that has Onazi, Ndidi, Agu and Etebo and you’re worried about Lack of Dm? No, you’re more worried about your pockets not lack of Dm. You agents will include non-exceptional players 3 months before World Cup just for some pice of change. After World Cup, if your client is good he will be considered
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

If Nigeria face this team with no fear its 7 points minimum from 9 points.
Nigeria will top the group,Iceland will win their open game same as Nigeria.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Truth is we lack the discipline to do the posession game. Ball posession and retention is an all rounder thingy not just that of a holding midfielder. With two center backs whose strength is not in passing....might as well try to damage the opponent as often as possible.

Our temperament just does not do the posession business. The last thing i want to see is our center half dashing away the ball in the name of ball posession. At the world cup level it will be punished severely.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

kajifu wrote:If Nigeria face this team with no fear its 7 points minimum from 9 points.
Nigeria will top the group,Iceland will win their open game same as Nigeria.
There are many reasons apart from fear why a team may lose. The most important thing going into any match is to go in prepared and make the best of the opportunities that come your way.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

john12 wrote:What sort of nonsense is this? A team that has Onazi, Ndidi, Agu and Etebo and you’re worried about Lack of Dm? No, you’re more worried about your pockets not lack of Dm. You agents will include non-exceptional players 3 months before World Cup just for some pice of change. After World Cup, if your client is good he will be considered
:lol: :lol:

first of all although I am not averse to some extra “piece of change” I am not an agent
I work In the city of London

Secondly I said holding midfielder not dm
There is a very subtle but important difference

Thirdly are you sure you a normal person
You seem a bit unhinged
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

smartbrother wrote:
john12 wrote:What sort of nonsense is this? A team that has Onazi, Ndidi, Agu and Etebo and you’re worried about Lack of Dm? No, you’re more worried about your pockets not lack of Dm. You agents will include non-exceptional players 3 months before World Cup just for some pice of change. After World Cup, if your client is good he will be considered
:lol: :lol:

first of all although I am not averse to some extra “piece of change” I am not an agent
I work In the city of London

Secondly I said holding midfielder not dm
There is a very subtle but important difference

Thirdly are you sure you a normal person
You seem a bit unhinged
Mikel can hold if that is what Rohr wants, he played that role at the 2013 ANC.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

oloye wrote:Truth is we lack the discipline to do the posession game. Ball posession and retention is an all rounder thingy not just that of a holding midfielder. With two center backs whose strength is not in passing....might as well try to damage the opponent as often as possible.

Our temperament just does not do the posession business. The last thing i want to see is our center half dashing away the ball in the name of ball posession. At the world cup level it will be punished severely.

Man Mace posted the algeria game again and both CB's have a lot of work to do before the WC.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

oloye wrote:Truth is we lack the discipline to do the posession game. Ball posession and retention is an all rounder thingy not just that of a holding midfielder. With two center backs whose strength is not in passing....might as well try to damage the opponent as often as possible.

I agree possession is a team thing not just down to a holding midfielder
But if you cannot play the ball out from the back your possession game is DOA
Our centre backs are old school defenders who are not comfortable with the ball at their feet
which is why we need a holding midfielder to ease the pressure on them
Top holding midfielders are also excellent at ‘sitting’ on the ball and controlling the tempo with short high percentage passes
You cannot underestimate the importance of such players when it comes to controlling the game , building attacks and defusing the momentum of our opponents

I disagree we lack discipline to play possession game
That’s a false and outdated stereotype of African players
Many of Our players play for some of the best passing and most disciplined sides in Europe
It should not be difficult to do the same in Nigerian colours
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

First of all your occupation as a London worker doesn’t negate the fact that your integrity can be compromised financially. It has happened in 2002 and 2014 and even people with higher salaries compromised their integrity for money.
2, I don’t know what you mean by “holding midfielder” not “DM” but to me they’re both the same thing just different wording. Times have changed when defensive midfielders were just allowed to sit at one position and not roam around. Nowadays, your regular holding midfielder is just another version of defensive midfielder. In addition to that the likes of Onazi, Ndidi, Agu has played as holding midfielders for their club sides in the past even though they can also play as CM or Box to Box

3, how many times have we said that there should be criteria when suggesting for a new player in SE so soon to World Cup? You cannot just suggest players for no reason he has to be an upgrade to the ones available and not downgrade. He either has to be
A) Exceptional player - statistically, Anecdotally and arguably majority agrees here
B) Experienced player - an experienced player that everyone knows what his capable of doing on his day and in-form. Looking at your client Azubuike does he has any of these qualities?? (No) he plays at a backwater league

3) to insult one mental status as a defense mechanism of your client is not good.

At the end of the day I have already told you agents, Pseudo-agents, Intermediaries that this year we’re ready for y’all. We would go toe-toe with you guys even at the expense of personal insults Etc. Like I have said After World Cup your guys can be an option
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

john12 wrote:First of all your occupation as a London worker doesn’t negate the fact that your integrity can be compromised financially. It has happened in 2002 and 2014 and even people with higher salaries compromised their integrity for money.
2, I don’t know what you mean by “holding midfielder” not “DM” but to me they’re both the same thing just different wording. Times have changed when defensive midfielders were just allowed to sit at one position and not roam around. Nowadays, your regular holding midfielder is just another version of defensive midfielder. In addition to that the likes of Onazi, Ndidi, Agu has played as holding midfielders for their club sides in the past even though they can also play as CM or Box to Box

3, how many times have we said that there should be criteria when suggesting for a new player in SE so soon to World Cup? You cannot just suggest players for no reason he has to be an upgrade to the ones available and not downgrade. He either has to be
A) Exceptional player - statistically, Anecdotally and arguably majority agrees here
B) Experienced player - an experienced player that everyone knows what his capable of doing on his day and in-form. Looking at your client Azubuike does he has any of these qualities?? (No) he plays at a backwater league

3) to insult one mental status as a defense mechanism of your client is not good.

At the end of the day I have already told you agents, Pseudo-agents, Intermediaries that this year we’re ready for y’all. We would go toe-toe with you guys even at the expense of personal insults Etc. Like I have said After World Cup your guys can be an option
Does being an agent equate to compromising ones integrity financially? :blink:
I didn’t mean to insult your mental health but i strongly suggest you see someone

Holding midfielder’s primary function is to spread the ball around the pitch when their team has the ball.
Defensive midfielder’s primary function is to break up play and make tackles When the other team has the ball( taken from answers.com)
in theory the same player can do both but I don’t feel we currently have such a player (besides Mikel who is being used as an AM these days)

In general when you don’t know something a good rule of thumb is to ask
Last edited by smartbrother on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

All these Shameless agents will wake up one day and suggest a Non-exceptional player 3 months to World Cup even when present ones are better players. They don’t even learn from previous mistakes in 2002 and 2014 instead they would rather do the same thing but expect a different result. (Insanity) imagine if everyone here advocates for their clients 3 months to world cup unmerited how many players will go to World Cup?? These shameless agents are acting like Russia 2018 is the end of Super eagles! They don’t realize that after World Cup newer non-exceptional players can be suggested for SE and people won’t generally complain
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

smartbrother wrote:

I agree possession is a team thing not just down to a holding midfielder
But if you cannot play the ball out from the back your possession game is DOA
Our centre backs are old school defenders who are not comfortable with the ball at their feet
which is why we need a holding midfielder to ease the pressure on them
Top holding midfielders are also excellent at ‘sitting’ on the ball and controlling the tempo with short high percentage passes
You cannot underestimate the importance of such players when it comes to controlling the game , building attacks and defusing the momentum of our opponents

I disagree we lack discipline to play possession game
That’s a false and outdated stereotype of African players
Many of Our players play for some of the best passing and most disciplined sides in Europe
It should not be difficult to do the same in Nigerian colours
Just like many english players play for some of the best passing sides and yet struggle when assembled together under the banners of the 3 Lions. Every time a Nigerian team attempts that possession thingy against top sides while foregoing our most lethal weapon, we end up being beaten silly. I repeat as long as you have center backs who are afraid of the ball and struggle to make 10 yards pass...perish the idea of ball posession. Do the needful to grab the points at stake.

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

This John is a character :lol: :lol:
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

1, My Guy Holding Midfielder and Defensive are the same thing. If you have said CM and Holding midfielder are different then I would understand but Holding Midfielder and Dm are same thing. Makalele who was generally regarded as “maka role” was a DM and Holding Midfielder
2, Mark my word Theres no way your Client Azubuike or any non-exceptional would make our team 3 months before World Cup. If you like call me whatever name you decides, receive bribe, money, Promise ETC he is not going to this World Cup except rohr Integrity has been compromised

3, I was impressed with him at olympics but he didn’t play any part at WCQ and he isn’t really an exceptional player therefore after World Cup if he is playing he can be considered

4, My Guy, this battle against Agents on World Cup year transcends Cyber-Eagles. I have said numerous times that I am ready for any insults, Battles, Wars that you guys throw at me as long as we achieve our Goal

5) take your own advice and see someone yourself
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

smartbrother wrote:This John is a character :lol: :lol:
He is our newly installed zero tolerance anti agent software. You have been warned, he can sniff out any agent like postings on this site. Welldone John12. But abeg you also remind me of one of the cons of having an anti virus installed on my computer, it scans everything and reports every suspicious activity even the harmless ones. But so far john12 has done a fantastic job, if only my anti virus could be this good. Agents are in trouble this WC.... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

John2, it is wrong to be labelling anyone who suggests a player as an agent. Don't kill debate on CE, FYI, I was the first person to open a thread on CE regarding the need to be vigilant and not allow substandard players to be smuggled into the WC squad as we experienced in 2002 and 2014. The real menace is the corrupt Nigerian journalists and not your fellow CEs. Recently, the latest player being campaigned for is Austin Ejide, currently playing in the Israeli 2nd division! I did not pull my punches when I descended on the journalist who wrote the piece. His colleagues rallied to his defence and I gave it to them as well. So let us have healthy debates on CE, which is the reason why we are on this forum without labelling people because of their views.
I am happy
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Dammy, you have a great point. However, Because of previous issues regarding unmeritable players being suggested few months to World Cup has made us more Vigilant and watchful. If players that aren’t better than present ones are suggested for SE few months to World Cup isn’t fishy then I don’t know what’s Fishy.

2) we have told them that SE and Cyber eagles would still exist after World Cup. (By the grace of GOD) therefore, all these newer non-exceptional players should wait until World Cup is over. After World Cup, they can be considered for SE and people wouldn’t complain here. But these guys just disregard what we have been saying but want to label us as the weird one

3) if you in anyway Think that One of the most popular Football online website for super eagles has no weight in the general spectrum worldwide then my guy “shine your eyes” this websites has produced and still produces Proffesional players, Popular figures, Journalists and even the much maligned word “agents”
Kako
Egg
Egg

Post by Kako »

oloye wrote:
He is our newly installed zero tolerance anti agent software. You have been warned, he can sniff out any agent like postings on this site. Welldone John12. But abeg you also remind me of one of the cons of having an anti virus installed on my computer, it scans everything and reports every suspicious activity even the harmless ones. But so far john12 has done a fantastic job, if only my anti virus could be this good. Agents are in trouble this WC.... :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Ha! "Agent" Oloye you wan smuggle in John12 a Non-exceptional player 3 months to World Cup :sneaky: :taunt:
Ara lao mada o, ao ni daran.
Arambara!

Ohamadike of Ijebu Igbo in Biafra land

I am a cat face yorobber son of Afonja skull miner!
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

we have Mikel, i am not concerned
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Kako wrote:
oloye wrote:

Ha! "Agent" Oloye you wan smuggle in John12 a Non-exceptional player 3 months to World Cup :sneaky: :taunt:
No amount of defamation of john12's impeccable character can deter his anti agent activities on this site...i suspect Agents are using you as a proxy to fight back :taunt: :taunt: WE are solidly behind this anti agent crusade embarked upon by this gallant selfless CE member. :clap: