OLISADEBE: My Biggest Regret

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
OLISADEBE: My Biggest Regret

Post by Enugu II »

Emmanuel Olisadebe reveals biggest career regret
By Brila - March 2, 20180
http://www.brila.net/emmanuel-olisadebe ... st-regret/

Nigeria-born Former Polish striker Emmanuel Olisadebe has revealed that moving from big club, Panathinaikos to very small club, Portsmouth in England was the biggest regret of his football career.

Olisadebe was a leading player of the Polish national team in the qualifying round for the 2002 Korea/Japan World Cup.

In an interview published by Polish news outlet, Sport24.gr, Olisadebe remembers the move from Panathinaikos to Portsmouth was his worst.

“I was told I could leave, so I did. I signed a contract with Portsmouth for less money than I had in Panathinaikos.

“It was a very bad decision to leave a club like Panathinaikos for as small as Portsmouth, “he said.

“They did not even have their own training centre.

Changing rooms were in terrible condition. I was in despair when I was in Portsmouth. A hideous city.

With only one shopping centre, no nightlife. The biggest mistake in my career – he added firmly.

After finishing his career, Olisadebe returned to Nigeria.

“I live permanently in Nigeria. For some time in Lagos, earlier in the eastern part of the country.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: OLISADEBE: My Biggest Regret

Post by oloye »

Thank God it was about money. I was bracing myself to read that his regret was playing for Poland....i would have been ashamed of a man who does not know or understand the magnitude of what he achieved by so doing.

Dont worry Olisa...you legacy in the game is cemented on a plaque no amount of money can buy.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

oloye wrote:Thank God it was about money. I was bracing myself to read that his regret was playing for Poland....i would have been ashamed of a man who does not know or understand the magnitude of what he achieved by so doing.

Dobt worry Olisa...you legacy in the game is cemented on a plaque no amount of money can buy.
Is is more than money. He called the City a hideous place. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Waffiman wrote:
oloye wrote:Thank God it was about money. I was bracing myself to read that his regret was playing for Poland....i would have been ashamed of a man who does not know or understand the magnitude of what he achieved by so doing.

Dobt worry Olisa...you legacy in the game is cemented on a plaque no amount of money can buy.
Anyone crazy enough to leave sunny Greece for a shytty hole like Portsmouth and is not a sailor , should not be looking back with regrets. :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

oloye wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Anyone crazy enough to leave sunny Greece for a shytty hole like Portsmouth and is not a sailor , should not be looking back with regrets. :lol:
But those are our coastal cities not too far from Bournemouth, if the inhabitants of the citysee his comments they will descend on him, anyway a lot of his country people :sneaky: hang around there anyway
Oya back to the matter
open and close
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Dont worry Olisa...you legacy in the game is cemented on a plaque no amount of money can buy.
Oga oloye, please help me understand: do they have a plaque for Olisadebe in Poland? If so, it will change my feelings about the Poles and Olisa. My understanding (from hearsay, I admit) is that his contributions were not appreciated by ordinary Poles. My former boss, whose wife is Polish, went to Poland during that 2002 WC, and he told me that it was difficult to find the jerseys of the other members of the Polish WC team, but you could always find Olisadebe's jersey everywhere. One could argue that it was because he was very popular--in Paris in 2007, I could only find Zidane and Thierry's jerseys in sporting goods stores--but my former boss asked why only Olisadebe's jerseys were available, and the sales people said, oh, it's the black guy, nobody wants that, it is not selling.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Waffiman wrote:

Uncle, I agree with am 1000% o. I went there when I met you guys in London many years ago and was ready to leave the moment I got there. It was like going from PH to Aba!
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

ohsee wrote:

Oga oloye, please help me understand: do they have a plaque for Olisadebe in Poland? If so, it will change my feelings about the Poles and Olisa. My understanding (from hearsay, I admit) is that his contributions were not appreciated by ordinary Poles. My former boss, whose wife is Polish, went to Poland during that 2002 WC, and he told me that it was difficult to find the jerseys of the other members of the Polish WC team, but you could always find Olisadebe's jersey everywhere. One could argue that it was because he was very popular--in Paris in 2007, I could only find Zidane and Thierry's jerseys in sporting goods stores--but my former boss asked why only Olisadebe's jerseys were available, and the sales people said, oh, it's the black guy, nobody wants that, it is not selling.
Sir many a pioneers do not have their efforts appreciated but that does not take away the magnitude of what he has done. That is why history is all we need on our side. At least today a friend of mine is a Councillor is Poland, yes oh that racist enclave. It is not about what he has done being rewarded or recognised now...it is posterity, such greatness is what posterity bequeaths.

01bakana
Egg
Egg

Post by 01bakana »

ohsee wrote:

Ohsee, Olisadebe (Oli as he is known in Poland) was very and still appreciated in Poland, of course he is not a legend because he played for too short a period to attain that status but was very influential during his stint there. Around 2001 I was privileged to meet President Aleksander Kwasniewski when he asked where are you from and I replied Nigeria his answer was 'Oh, like our Oli'.
With the rise of the far right and nationalistic sentiments in Poland as in most european countries this might not seem very obvious.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

ohsee wrote:

... surprised, but REALLY not surprised. I am surprised because they made it open (very obvious) of what they are, but not surprised because they are worse than that.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

1naija wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Uncle, I agree with am 1000% o. I went there when I met you guys in London many years ago and was ready to leave the moment I got there. It was like going from PH to Aba!
Bia (come)! 1Naija, be sure the Abanians doesn't see this. If I were you, I will edit this thing immediately :tic: :tic:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.