Is the Oyinbo Wall Secure?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Is the Oyinbo Wall Secure?

Post by Gotti »

metalalloy wrote:Well reports suggest that Steven Eze will get a call up for the upcoming friendlies. I really like the burgeoning partnership between Balogun and Troost, but we most certainly need to have back ups for them and other players who can push them for starting spots. They have their weaknesses especially with ball distribution and Balogun's speed.
Stephen Eze has the same issues concerning pace and passing...
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

"We are not fully accepted in both countries. In the Netherlands we are sometimes called foreigner, in Nigeria we are considered white boys."
Taken from the March 2018 edition of Elf Voetball.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Slow news day
...real slow news day, Arsenal play tomorrow so today na free for all :biggrin:
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The YeyeMan wrote:
"We are not fully accepted in both countries. In the Netherlands we are sometimes called foreigner, in Nigeria we are considered white boys."
Taken from the March 2018 edition of Elf Voetball.
He can join the queue..
But's its not because of CE headlines when he uses the same moniker himself.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

It's more about the sentiment behind the headline. And using the hashtag doesn't necessarily mean he supports that sentiment.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Gotti wrote:
metalalloy wrote:Well reports suggest that Steven Eze will get a call up for the upcoming friendlies. I really like the burgeoning partnership between Balogun and Troost, but we most certainly need to have back ups for them and other players who can push them for starting spots. They have their weaknesses especially with ball distribution and Balogun's speed.
Stephen Eze has the same issues concerning pace and passing...
Not only that, he has a tendency to go into rash tackles. I am not sold on Stephen Eze being ready for World Cup 2018.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

The YeyeMan wrote:It's more about the sentiment behind the headline. And using the hashtag doesn't necessarily mean he supports that sentiment.
True, but it would be nice to know their thoughts.
I think the whole experience of having 180m people embrace you - in fact, CLAIM you - as their own after a lifetime living in the white west is something you and I can only imagine (I'm assuming you are not mixed race yourself).
I think it was Balogun that got really emotional on one occasion and spoke about it.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
nanijoe
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by nanijoe »

Would be interesting to hear how someone like Osaze feels about this topic
Damunk wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:It's more about the sentiment behind the headline. And using the hashtag doesn't necessarily mean he supports that sentiment.
True, but it would be nice to know their thoughts.
I think the whole experience of having 180m people embrace you - in fact, CLAIM you - as their own after a lifetime living in the white west is something you and I can only imagine (I'm assuming you are not mixed race yourself).
I think it was Balogun that got really emotional on one occasion and spoke about it.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

How do you know what the "sentiment behind the headline" is?
Furthermore, the context of the hashtag's usage does NOT indicate angst or disapproval.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

nanijoe wrote:Would be interesting to hear how someone like Osaze feels about this topic
Certainly! Seeing how dude is the author of "oyinbo na oyinbo"! :lol:
Last edited by Gotti on Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Gotti wrote:
How do you know what the "sentiment behind the headline" is?
Furthermore, the context of the hashtag's usage does NOT indicate angst or disapproval.
I've taken a guess what the sentiment is. The quote I provided by Ekong makes the point that being called "white" (oyinbo) indicates a lack of "acceptance" by those who call them that.

The context of the hashtag doesn't indicate approval either.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The YeyeMan wrote:I've taken a guess what the sentiment is. The quote I provided by Ekong makes the point that being called "white" (oyinbo) indicates a lack of "acceptance" by those who call them that.

Since we are guessing, it indicates MORE approval than disapproval...
Added to the fact that he has PERSONALLY retweeted the moniker SEVERAL times.

Furthermore, abegi quit conflating issues. That some folks make them feel as foreigners in Holland/Nigeria is NOT mutually-exclusive with him approving of the Oyinbo Wall moniker (and again has nothing to do with CE headlines).
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Gotti wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:I've taken a guess what the sentiment is. The quote I provided by Ekong makes the point that being called "white" (oyinbo) indicates a lack of "acceptance" by those who call them that.

Furthermore, abegi quit conflating issues. That some folks make them feel as foreigners in Holland/Nigeria is NOT mutually-exclusive with him approving of the Oyinbo Wall moniker (and again has nothing to do with CE headlines).
I agree with you. They are fondly called, "Oyibo Wall". There's no derision implied nor expressed. Both fellas have actually embraced the title.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

I agree with you. They are fondly called, "Oyibo Wall". There's no derision implied nor expressed. Both fellas have actually embraced the title.
Now Cellular has chipped in with is own, I'm more convinced I'm right than ever before. Sorry Gotti. :D

And again, it's not solely about CE headlines - I'm thinking wider than that.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Gotti wrote:

Now Cellular has chipped in with is own, I'm more convinced I'm right than ever before. Sorry Gotti. :D

And again, it's not solely about CE headlines - I'm thinking wider than that.
Of course, you should be more convinced...

Reading a negative meaning into something that was done out of adulation. It says a lot more about your thinking and mindset...

Abeg, carry your Yeyerism dey go.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

Damunk wrote:
Gotti wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:It's thread titles like this which lead Ekong to say he's not fully accepted in Nigeria as a Nigerian. There was an article for a Dutch football magazine where he and Ebuehi spoke about this, and their Nigerian-Dutch duality.
Just like tweets like this?! :blink:
I think Yeyeman has got it wrong.
Methinks they are quite proud of the title 'Oyibo Wall'.
With the two of them in central defence and Ikeme in goal that wall was very aptly titled.
Being called 'Oyibo' in Naija doesn't come with the negative racial undertones that the N-word carries in the west.
Not at all.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Gotti wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:It's thread titles like this which lead Ekong to say he's not fully accepted in Nigeria as a Nigerian. There was an article for a Dutch football magazine where he and Ebuehi spoke about this, and their Nigerian-Dutch duality.
:rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Damunk wrote:
Gotti wrote:
I think Yeyeman has got it wrong.
Methinks they are quite proud of the title 'Oyibo Wall'.
With the two of them in central defence and Ikeme in goal that wall was very aptly titled.
Being called 'Oyibo' in Naija doesn't come with the negative racial undertones that the N-word carries in the west.
They def are. There was an inteview where Balogun discussed it. Yeyeman is being true to his moniker as always.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Why would he tweet something he doesn't agree with?
They have come to be known as the ‘Oyinbo’ (an often pejorative term for light-skinned foreigners) Wall, a nod to their mixed race heritage. It is endearing that they themselves have adopted the name, and are entirely comfortable with it. It is a very Nigerian trait – thick skin; the sensibility to take things light-heartedly and in good humour, turning a potential negative into a positive.
https://guardian.ng/sport/oyinbo-wall-b ... s-defence/