This is why Pep got rid of Nacho

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Polly
Egg
Egg
This is why Pep got rid of Nacho

Post by Polly »

Manchester City's Sergio Aguero 'on same page' as Pep Guardiola after tough start
play

https://tinyurl.com/yd2un6z7

Sergio Aguero has said he found it difficult to adapt to Pep Guardiola's demands when the former Barcelona coach first arrived at Manchester City.

Guardiola wanted more work from the striker and Aguero said he had a tough time, particularly when he lost his place to Gabriel Jesus.

But the Argentina international has been back to his best this season, scoring 30 goals to become the club's all-time record scorer despite a number of injury setbacks.

"Pep is a very demanding coach and adapting to what he wanted was not easy during the first year," Aguero told Argentine TV channel TYC Sports.

"Besides my responsibilities as a striker, he wanted to get me involved as the first defender of the team. When Gabriel Jesus arrived, he had more options and I started to play less.

"I kept giving my best in practice and working hard so, when Gabriel went down with an injury, I was able to come back stronger and scored a lot of goals.

"I think this year we were on the same page with Pep. He told me he was happy with my performance and his anger was worth it because I had a better year."

Aguero, 29, has been linked with Atletico Madrid, while close friend Lionel Messi suggested he should join him at Barcelona.

But Aguero said: "I think it's impossible. Maybe in the past we had chances to play together, but we have a certain age now ... Leo eventually will stay there and I'll end up staying with City."

Aguero is set to be in the Argentina World Cup squad after recovering from a knee problem, having had surgery following City's Champions League exit to Liverpool.

"The truth is that I've been suffering with my knee since 2013," he said. "I had a lot of problems that season, and small episodes after that with my knee, something always was bothering me.

"I talked to the Manchester City doctors this year and we said we're going to wait because we were still in the Champions League.

"It did not improve so we talked with Pep and he was very supportive. He told me to stay calm and to take care of my knee.

"So, after we were eliminated from the Champions League, I talked to the doctors, I told them that I wanted to be ready for the World Cup so the best option was to have surgery.

"After five years, I feel no pain and my knee feels like new. Having problems with my meniscus caused an overload in the hamstring, the quadriceps, the gluteus now I feel different because my knee is cured.

"For example, for the last five years I couldn't flex my knee all the way and now I can do it. It's a total relief."
ikemba
Egg
Egg
Re: This is why Pep got rid of Nacho

Post by ikemba »

Kelechi was not mentioned in the article. Pep, himself praised Kelechi for his hardwork. How did you get to this conclusion?
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

They will buy him back
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Nacho's problem at City was to do with his first touch. Till today, he struggles to get the ball under control first time. However, if you watch City, everybody going all the way to the keeper gets the ball under control with the first touch. That is why they are so fluid.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Goldleaf wrote:Nacho's problem at City was to do with his first touch. Till today, he struggles to get the ball under control first time. However, if you watch City, everybody going all the way to the keeper gets the ball under control with the first touch. That is why they are so fluid.
Yeah, on a technical basis, Nacho couldn't last at city. His elite eye for goal wasn't enough.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
okidoki
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by okidoki »

^What nonsense are you talking. His minute per goal ratio was the best not only in the league that season, but for several years. Folks will talk, like there senior brother was Pep. Stop yearning bull, abeg. To begin with, Kele's game has significantly improved. First touch, hold up play, and he is far stronger on the ball today. So I give it to Leicester, even though I'm still mad he didn't get enough game time.
"Nigeria", Africas only true hope of bringing the World cup home to motherland.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Polly wrote:Manchester City's Sergio Aguero 'on same page' as Pep Guardiola after tough start
play

https://tinyurl.com/yd2un6z7

Sergio Aguero has said he found it difficult to adapt to Pep Guardiola's demands when the former Barcelona coach first arrived at Manchester City.

Guardiola wanted more work from the striker and Aguero said he had a tough time, particularly when he lost his place to Gabriel Jesus.

But the Argentina international has been back to his best this season, scoring 30 goals to become the club's all-time record scorer despite a number of injury setbacks.

"Pep is a very demanding coach and adapting to what he wanted was not easy during the first year," Aguero told Argentine TV channel TYC Sports.

"Besides my responsibilities as a striker, he wanted to get me involved as the first defender of the team. When Gabriel Jesus arrived, he had more options and I started to play less.

"I kept giving my best in practice and working hard so, when Gabriel went down with an injury, I was able to come back stronger and scored a lot of goals.

"I think this year we were on the same page with Pep. He told me he was happy with my performance and his anger was worth it because I had a better year."

Aguero, 29, has been linked with Atletico Madrid, while close friend Lionel Messi suggested he should join him at Barcelona.

But Aguero said: "I think it's impossible. Maybe in the past we had chances to play together, but we have a certain age now ... Leo eventually will stay there and I'll end up staying with City."

Aguero is set to be in the Argentina World Cup squad after recovering from a knee problem, having had surgery following City's Champions League exit to Liverpool.

"The truth is that I've been suffering with my knee since 2013," he said. "I had a lot of problems that season, and small episodes after that with my knee, something always was bothering me.

"I talked to the Manchester City doctors this year and we said we're going to wait because we were still in the Champions League.

"It did not improve so we talked with Pep and he was very supportive. He told me to stay calm and to take care of my knee.

"So, after we were eliminated from the Champions League, I talked to the doctors, I told them that I wanted to be ready for the World Cup so the best option was to have surgery.

"After five years, I feel no pain and my knee feels like new. Having problems with my meniscus caused an overload in the hamstring, the quadriceps, the gluteus now I feel different because my knee is cured.

"For example, for the last five years I couldn't flex my knee all the way and now I can do it. It's a total relief."
I agree with Polly and this article. We actually discussed this about this time last year when there were rumors that Kelechi was going to Dortmund. This is what i said back then,
Pep does expect more from his forwards other than scoring goals. He has explicitly said as much in his praise of Jesus and when he has grudgingly praised Kun in some interviews. I suppose Kelechi's constant refrain about 'working hard" in every interview makes sense now. Pep wants a striker that will high press for 90 minutes and not everyone s built like that. While i understand he is under a lot of pressure to win now, my major gripe with pep is that I believe pep has given up on him, and has moved on, which appears to be premature IMO (granted i am biased as a naija man) This a precocious homegrown talent, a rare success story who came up through the youth system ranks, you would think he would have a little more rope. kelechi appears to have improved in his all around game this season in limited time. He has 3 times as much assists and is a lot more active in pressing in the limited time that he has appeared this season. Yet, even common less pressured EFL, and FA cup games where he should have been given a legit opportunity (and not 5 minutes till the end) to work on the flaws that pep sees, dem no give am.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=279950&p=5015065&hi ... p#p5015065
But bros this your argument get k leg. Not ever player fits the way every manager wants to play. Dost is one of the best scoring strikers in Europe, but would never fit inside Pep's system. Same goes for Kele, as much as it pained me as a Nigerian, He isn't a striker that fits or showed any indication he was willing to adapt to fit Pep's system. Heck he even benched a world class star like Kun because Jesus fit his system better.

Mourinho has had the best players on the planet on his team and converted them to fit his very restricted style of play, or benched/sold them if he didn't see them in his system. IT is something any top level manager does.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=287592&p=5221024&hi ... p#p5221024
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Abeg leave Kele, his first touch is improving, been impressed with his play in behind Vardy the last few games. Bobo has come a long way:

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

The world does not revolve around Pepeye's system.

I watched him in the Leicester game (granted I watched most of the game live, I went back to rewatch it). The goal actually detracts from how well he played. Great goal, but he did a whole lot more than that.

He has his own unique way of playing. He holds up play by quickly laying off the ball, but unlike Ighalo...he actually has the technique to boot (pun intended). See the way he struck that ball, no backlift needed, almost roofed it!

What people don't talk about is, without Nacho that opportunity doesn't even exist. After the ball is won from the back, Nacho heads it down to free himself for a run, makes the run, the ball is delivered...not to his feet, but he anticipates where the misplaced header of Dyer will land, he controls it, holds off the defender and places it over Lloris.

Bobo would control the forward play in that manner time and time again. If he was getting better delivery from the likes of Simpson, he would have had even more opportunities. Lets not forget two big moments were saved by Lloris as well.

Iheanacho's potential is 3 times greater than Ighalo's ceiling, it's not even close. Which is why I will always keep faith with Nacho.

He has found his rhythm. His efficacy striking the ball is one of the best in world football, and he knows how to involve players around him, if Pep doesn't like that....fine, he can play to his liking elsewhere.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Tbite wrote:The world does not revolve around Pepeye's system.

I watched him in the Leicester game (granted I watched most of the game live, I went back to rewatch it). The goal actually detracts from how well he played. Great goal, but he did a whole lot more than that.

He has his own unique way of playing. He holds up play by quickly laying off the ball, but unlike Ighalo...he actually has the technique to boot (pun intended). See the way he struck that ball, no backlift needed, almost roofed it!

What people don't talk about is, without Nacho that opportunity doesn't even exist. After the ball is won from the back, Nacho heads it down to free himself for a run, makes the run, the ball is delivered...not to his feet, but he anticipates where the misplaced header of Dyer will land, he controls it, holds off the defender and places it over Lloris.

Bobo would control the forward play in that manner time and time again. If he was getting better delivery from the likes of Simpson, he would have had even more opportunities. Lets not forget two big moments were saved by Lloris as well.

Iheanacho's potential is 3 times greater than Ighalo's ceiling, it's not even close. Which is why I will always keep faith with Nacho.

He has found his rhythm. His efficacy striking the ball is one of the best in world football, and he knows how to involve players around him, if Pep doesn't like that....fine, he can play to his liking elsewhere.
KPOM everything. that's why when people go on about Kele here (esp when he was struggling for playing time), I said he is one person i'm not worried about. He has "it". Elite scouts see it that's why man city has a clause. you think they just put clauses like they have on Kele just for fun? they've seen some stuff..
mapet
Egg
Egg

Post by mapet »

maceo4 wrote:Abeg leave Kele, his first touch is improving, been impressed with his play in behind Vardy the last few games. Bobo has come a long way:

[/video]
Ermm Kele,

Did I just hear that your Dad goes to what your games at the viewing center? :sneaky:
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

Kele na correct guy :thumbs:
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

The funny thing is if Kele had come to beloved,city will be begging him today and throwing money to beloved under Pep.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

I don't about all these accolades on Kelechi , Onyekuru surpasses him all facets of soccer. He is the only world class player in horizon for Nigeria meantime. I hope he moves away from Belgium as quickly as possible . Invariably he has transcended that league, unfortunately they are applying all tactic human possible to bring him down to their level. I hope he will never ever play for stupid Rohr again even if he has to quit international soccer.
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

bully12 wrote:I don't about all these accolades on Kelechi , Onyekuru surpasses him all facets of soccer. He is the only world class player in horizon for Nigeria meantime. I hope he moves away from Belgium as quickly as possible . Invariably he has transcended that league, unfortunately they are applying all tactic human possible to bring him down to their level. I hope he will never ever play for stupid Rohr again even if he has to quit international soccer.
no
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

Kelechi would dominate the Belgium league.
marutimon
Egg
Egg

Post by marutimon »

bully12 wrote:I don't about all these accolades on Kelechi , Onyekuru surpasses him all facets of soccer. He is the only world class player in horizon for Nigeria meantime. I hope he moves away from Belgium as quickly as possible . Invariably he has transcended that league, unfortunately they are applying all tactic human possible to bring him down to their level. I hope he will never ever play for stupid Rohr again even if he has to quit international soccer.
Kelechi would be posted 40 goals per season stats in Belgium.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

marutimon wrote:
Kelechi who could not successfully complete one decent dribbling .. Please give me a break. The difference between him and Onyekuru is as wide as Pacific Ocean. One can run with the ball display scintillating dribbling and score exquisite goals but the other one is only a tap in merchant.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Synopsis wrote:Kelechi would dominate the Belgium league.

TKO :lol:
Synopsis
Egg
Egg

Post by Synopsis »

bully12 wrote:
marutimon wrote:
Kelechi who could not successfully complete one decent dribbling .. Please give me a break. The difference between him and Onyekuru is as wide as Pacific Ocean. One can run with the ball display scintillating dribbling and score exquisite goals but the other one is only a tap in merchant.
You must not have watched Kelechi toward the end of the season. All facets of his game improved. I’m especially impressed with his first touch. All he needed was a decent run of games.
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

Nacho is average at dribbling, average at hold up play. World class finisher, has a good final pass but that's it. I don't think Pep will be having sleepless nights over him.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

NACHO is the best Naija striker today, despite him many flaws
My only fear is that he'll fail on the world biggest stage, because he's a player that depends very much on a creative midfield
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Rawlings wrote:NACHO is the best Naija striker today, despite him many flaws
My only fear is that he'll fail on the world biggest stage, because he's a player that depends very much on a creative midfield

Are you the same person as Lolly?