Football match ends in bloodshed as referee kills player

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Published March 9, 2018

A referee is facing murder charges after football players allegedly forced him to kill a member of the opposing team in southern Malawi, police said Friday.

The referee was overseeing a football match between two local teams, Billiat FC and Chilengo FC, in the town of Thyolo on Wednesday, when Chilengo FC players refused to accept the referee’s decision to invalidate a goal, district police spokesman Benjamin Foster told dpa.

In the ensuing scuffle, the referee fled to a nearby house, which the players lit to smoke him out, according to Foster.

When the referee ran out of the burning building, the players forced him to smack a Billiat FC player repeatedly with a stick, the spokesman said.

The player later died of his injuries in hospital, added Foster.

“The referee turned himself over … He is facing murder charges,” he said.

http://punchng.com/football-match-ends- ... ls-player/
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

Published March 9, 2018

A referee is facing murder charges after football players allegedly forced him to kill a member of the opposing team in southern Malawi, police said Friday.

The referee was overseeing a football match between two local teams, Billiat FC and Chilengo FC, in the town of Thyolo on Wednesday, when Chilengo FC players refused to accept the referee’s decision to invalidate a goal, district police spokesman Benjamin Foster told dpa.

In the ensuing scuffle, the referee fled to a nearby house, which the players lit to smoke him out, according to Foster.

When the referee ran out of the burning building, the players forced him to smack a Billiat FC player repeatedly with a stick, the spokesman said.

The player later died of his injuries in hospital, added Foster.

“The referee turned himself over … He is facing murder charges,” he said.

http://punchng.com/football-match-ends- ... ls-player/
Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Football match ends in bloodshed as referee kills player

Post by Tbite »

That's self defense and all charges should be dropped, if it can be proven that his defense was of proportional force.

At first reading, I am of the view that his attack was probably proportional to the threat faced.

A house lit on fire is no joke!

I am not a lawyer, but even if my initial view is incorrect and the force was excessive, I do hope he is judged without any bias.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Football match ends in bloodshed as referee kills player

Post by pajimoh »

Tbite wrote:That's self defense and all charges should be dropped, if it can be proven that his defense was of proportional force.

At first reading, I am of the view that his attack was probably proportional to the threat faced.

A house lit on fire is no joke!

I am not a lawyer, but even if my initial view is incorrect and the force was excessive, I do hope he is judged without any bias.
I don't think it's"self defense" since the player he killed is not the one threatening his life. However if he's being forced to beat the player then the lawyers would be able it's not premeditated but the people forcing him to do it should face the rap
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!