Rohr Explains non-invitation of Alampasu & Ajiboye....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Rohr Explains non-invitation of Alampasu & Ajiboye....

Post by Enugu II »

IMHO, one MAJOR issue that every one is ignoring is Rohr's current decision not to create a competitive atmosphere among the goalkeepers in terms of making the team to Russia. While many of us agree that goalkeeping is a nightmare for the team, few have been outraged by the fact that Rohr continues to stick to a disappointing crew of three goalkeepers for THREE goalkeeping spots at the WC. Why is there not a fourth or fifth goalkeeper to create a competing atmosphere? Just my tuppence.
Why I left Alampasu, Ajiboye out of friendlies – Rohr
http://punchng.com/why-i-left-alampasu- ... lies-rohr/
Published March 13, 2018

Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr believes that it was a ‘logical’ decision to leave Dele Ajiboye out of his latest Super Eagles squad despite his heroics during the African Nations Championship, ESPN reports.

Goalkeeping remains a problematic position for the national side following the retirement of Vincent Enyeama and Carl Ikeme’s leukaemia diagnosis.

However, despite demonstrating his quality with a heroic display during the Eagles’ 1-0 CHAN semi-final victory over Sudan, Ajiboye was overlooked for Nigeria’s squad ahead of their upcoming friendlies against Poland and Serbia.

“They already had their chance,” Goal quoted Rohr as saying when asked about Ajiboye and Dele Alampasu’s non-inclusion in the latest Eagles squad. “Remember that we have invited Dele.

“Dele was second choice in the CHAN team, and it’d be surprising that he was No. 1 and (Ikechukwu) Ezenwa No. 2 in the Super Eagles.

“We must be logical in our choices.

Plateau United’s Ajiboye came off the bench to replace injured captain Ezenwa early into the Eagles’ semi-final against the Falcons of Jeddiane, and ensured it was the West Africans who met Morocco in the final after a series of outstanding blocks.

Alampasu had been another contender to come into the team, but his inactivity looks likely to cost him a World Cup berth. The keeper hasn’t featured for Feirense this term, and hasn’t played a competitive match since April 2017.

“Alampasu, unfortunately, is never playing,” added Rohr. “You cannot take a goalkeeper who is never playing.”

With Ajiboye and Alampasu overlooked, Ezenwa appears favourite to start between the sticks at the World Cup, with Daniel Akpeyi and wonderkid Francis Uzoho his primary rivals.

“Uzoho made his debut for Nigeria against Argentina and did very well,” the coach continued. “He plays for the second team of (Deportivo) La Coruna; we could see him (at the World Cup).”
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr Explains non-invitation of Alampasu & Ajiboye....

Post by The YeyeMan »

Probably because the three are playing to be first choice, not simply make the squad. That's the first level of competition. But yes, it could be enhanced by adding an additional keeper. I'd expect to see at least 4 GKs in the 30-man list.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

EII, i am not sure i inderstand your tuppence. Perhaps you should make it threepence. :taunt:

Why do you want to invite a goalkeeper just for the sake of inviting him? Would you honestly feel comfortable taking Dele Ajiboye to the WC given his performance against Morocco? We have our best 2 goalkepers in the team. I could understand wanting a competition between Alampasu and uzuho, but as the coach said, Alampasu has not played in almost a year. Ezenwa and Akpeyi, and now Uzuho are the keepers we have. We can't manufacture one.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Ezenwa is our No 1 at the World Cup. Take it or leave it!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Robotnik wrote:Ezenwa is our No 1 at the World Cup. Take it or leave it!
Leave it.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Sunset
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Sunset »

Still don't understand the crowd who continue to shout for Alampasu's inclusion. Yes he was impressive at the U17 World Cup back in 2013, but that was 5 years ago and it has been stagnant since then.
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Uzoho had another clean sheet yesterday. I think he has like 13 in 20 games so far this season. A lot has been made about his weaknesses but those numbers mean something .

People also bringing up the level of play in the Spanish 3rd division should note that the Cameroonian keeper is a bench warmer in that division... the Cameroonians stick to him despite having top goalies like Onana at Ajax and Kameni at Besiktas.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote:Uzoho had another clean sheet yesterday. I think he has like 13 in 20 games so far this season. A lot has been made about his weaknesses but those numbers mean something .

People also bringing up the level of play in the Spanish 3rd division should note that the Cameroonian keeper is a bench warmer in that division... the Cameroonians stick to him despite having top goalies like Onana at Ajax and Kameni at Besiktas.
Who are the Cameroonians playing at the World Cup with their bench warmer?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:Uzoho had another clean sheet yesterday. I think he has like 13 in 20 games so far this season. A lot has been made about his weaknesses but those numbers mean something .

What's your point? They won the Nation's cup with him and he was outstanding at the confederations cup.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

What's your point? They won the Nation's cup with him and he was outstanding at the confederations cup.
Good for them, but what does that have to do with us? Have our GKs been outstanding? Let’s hope they show they are up for it in these friendlies, but none of them have proven to be outstanding. And we shouldn’t be doing something just because another country that will be watching the WC from Home did it...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Good for them, but what does that have to do with us? Have our GKs been outstanding? Let’s hope they show they are up for it in these friendlies, but none of them have proven to be outstanding. And we shouldn’t be doing something just because another country that will be watching the WC from Home did it...
and here we go again, bros don't worry Enyeama will be called up so you can finally sleep well at night :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

If you know a deserving Nigerian goalkeeper somewhere bring up his name and let's discuss him. For now we have to stick with what we have and I'm pointing out the fact that what we have isn't so bad.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Based on what coach Rohr has said, does it mean our three keepers are known and we are set? Well, fingers crossed, waiting to see the latest development in this our goalkeeping problem.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

If you know a deserving Nigerian goalkeeper somewhere bring up his name and let's discuss him. For now we have to stick with what we have and I'm pointing out the fact that what we have isn't so bad.
I’m just saying it would make more sense if you pointed to other WC bound teams that are taking a similar set of GKs. Cameroon that finished second to last in qualifying with their GK chopping mad goals shouldn’t be the bar.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Tobi17 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
niyi wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

and here we go again, bros don't worry Enyeama will be called up so you can finally sleep well at night :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

[/video]
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Sunset wrote:Still don't understand the crowd who continue to shout for Alampasu's inclusion. Yes he was impressive at the U17 World Cup back in 2013, but that was 5 years ago and it has been stagnant since then.

Bros.. i don ask the question tire. I'm glad Rohr has put an end to this absurdity.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Odas wrote:Based on what coach Rohr has said, does it mean our three keepers are known and we are set? Well, fingers crossed, waiting to see the latest development in this our goalkeeping problem.

Nope. All it means is that two fringe players have been ruled out for sure.
“Alampasu, unfortunately, is never playing,” added Rohr. “You cannot take a goalkeeper who is never playing.
Interesting that Alampasu is the only one he singled and rules out in this category at this time. :D
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:IMHO, one MAJOR issue that every one is ignoring is Rohr's current decision not to create a competitive atmosphere among the goalkeepers in terms of making the team to Russia. While many of us agree that goalkeeping is a nightmare for the team, few have been outraged by the fact that Rohr continues to stick to a disappointing crew of three goalkeepers for THREE goalkeeping spots at the WC. Why is there not a fourth or fifth goalkeeper to create a competing atmosphere? Just my tuppence.
YEa i def see your point. I guess there will be three games after the may 14 30 man deadline to assess any new keeper he adds to this list should he decide to do so. If he decides to stick with the devil he knows and these truly are the 3 dudes going to the WC, like someone said, its a fight for the pecking order. That should still be competitive enough.

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

metalalloy wrote:
Odas wrote:Based on what coach Rohr has said, does it mean our three keepers are known and we are set? Well, fingers crossed, waiting to see the latest development in this our goalkeeping problem.

Nope. All it means is that two fringe players have been ruled out for sure.
“Alampasu, unfortunately, is never playing,” added Rohr. “You cannot take a goalkeeper who is never playing.
Interesting that Alampasu is the only one he singled and rules out in this category at this time. :D
The other player (Bro Vin) is implied. Although he is busy keeping clean sheets on youtube training videos.
Last edited by 1naija on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The point is that in defense, midfield and forward we have some competition for squad places. In goalkeeping which we consider poor, there is no such competition. Don't tell me that there are no other Nigerians who can compete with Akpeyi if we claim Akpeyi is so poor. Makes little sense.

Please do not limit your imagination by considering only Alampasu and Ajiboye as only options for competition at that position. Surely there are other options.
Last edited by Enugu II on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
anointed
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anointed »

In the big picture, the invitation of 28 players is baffling.

We are supposed to submit a list of 30 players by May ending and these are the last friendlies before the submission. Of the 30 players, 23 will make the final cut while the remaining 7 will be alternate players. One of them should be a goalkeeper, at least.

Well, maybe Rohr will just submit his 23 players. I remember one country did that in 2014.
TOUCH NOT MY ANOINTED...
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding...hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:The point is that in defense, midfield and forward we have some competition for squad places. In goalkeeping which we consider poor, there is no such competition. Don't tell me that there are no other Nigerians who can compete with Akpeyi if we claim Akpeyi is so poor. Makes little sense.

Please do not limit your imagination by considering only Alampasu and Ajiboye as only options for competition at that position. Surely there are other options.
I hear you but the fact that the GK position is a position where only one player can play vs other positions makes it a bit different from those positions. At the end of the day, there is competition between 3 players for 1 starting spot. He could argue that he had a competition of 5 keepers that he has narrowed already down to 3 and he just needs to focus on finding his starter. I am not comfy with it, but he is loathe to bring in new players into his squad.