Rohr offers Torunarigha World Cup Spot, reports ESPN

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Polly
Egg
Egg
Rohr offers Torunarigha World Cup Spot, reports ESPN

Post by Polly »

Nigeria want Hertha defender Torunarigha
http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/ ... orunarigha

Hertha Berlin centre-back Jordan Torunarigha has been offered a ticket to the 2018 World Cup by Nigeria, which would allow the Germany under-21 international to represent the same country as his father.

The Bundesliga player could switch allegiances and play for the Super Eagles, which his father, Ojokojo Torunarigha, won 12 caps for in the 1990s.

Eligible to play for both Nigeria and Germany, the Nigerian FA have now offered the centre-back a ticket to the 2018 World Cup, his agent, Thomas Zorn, has confirmed to B.Z.

"That's true. We have such a request from the NFF," Zorn said, and the paper added that Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr has tried for several months now to win over the centre-back.

"Jordan must listen to his heart," Zorn said. "This request is a huge honour, and also a confirmation for his great development. But I think his journey for the German FA is not over."

Hertha coach Pal Dardai, 42, said that while "the World Cup is a huge chance for him, it might be better for his development if he first plays for Germany's U21."

"Maybe, he can even play for Germany one day," he said.

Coming through the ranks of Hertha's academy, Torunarigha has played for Germany's youth teams since late 2014, and since debuting for Berlin's pro team in February 2017 has made 21 appearances for the club in Bundesliga and Europa League competition.

Torunarigha has been selected for Germany's upcoming U21 European Championship qualifiers against Israel and Kosovo.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Rohr offers Torunarigha World Cup Spot, reports ESPN

Post by metalalloy »

Interesting. SOmeone to push both Balogun and Troost for a starting spot. I haven't watched this guy, german CE's whats your opinion on him?
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

Can someone who watches the Bundeliga please confirm if he plays more as a centreback than as a leftback. He is supposed to be a leftfooted fullback who can also play as a centreback.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Isnt Kwese affiliated to KOC?

As for the story, :rotf: :rotf: The Germans are very wicked. They know that for Tourinarigha to get a chance with Germany, he has to be the Messi of defending. Not because he isnt good enough, but he will have the same issues as Akpoguma-- They have so many white defenders, of around the same age, who are highly rated and who have gotten a chance in the German set up already.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

honestly, this is becoming unfair...how do you offer someone a ticket even before making sure he is a good fit for SE?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:Can someone who watches the Bundeliga please confirm if he plays more as a centreback than as a leftback. He is supposed to be a leftfooted fullback who can also play as a centreback.

I dont think he has played Left back this season at all. Plattenhadt is their starting left back and the only game I have seen of him, this season, he played as a CB.

And from what I saw of him last season, I will say he is " a left footed CENTER BACK WHO CAN PLAY AS A LEFT BACK." So, the other way around.

Him and/or Udokhai will be very helpful for us, with our plans to play 3 at the back in some games.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

He’s a massive prospect. Prospect.
Strong, big, athletic, fearless, fierce. A goal threat too as he only converted to defender in his mid teens.
As you would expect, still raw and has less than a year Bundesliga experience. He still gives away free-kicks, positioning can be suspect and his game is still overly dependent on his exceptional athletic ability as opposed to wisdom and guile.
But yes, he’s good enough to fight for a spot in our 22 and could put Omeruo’s place at risk.
The fact that he’d probably be in the German team in 2 years time is another reason to cap him now.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

danfo driver wrote:Isnt Kwese affiliated to KOC?

As for the story, :rotf: :rotf: The Germans are very wicked. They know that for Tourinarigha to get a chance with Germany, he has to be the Messi of defending. Not because he isnt good enough, but he will have the same issues as Akpoguma-- They have so many white defenders, of around the same age, who are highly rated and who have gotten a chance in the German set up already.

Yea he works for them.

Kpom at the highlighted. They are so stacked everywhere it is ridiculous.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

ANC wrote:honestly, this is becoming unfair...how do you offer someone a ticket even before making sure he is a good fit for SE?
And my query is what happens after world cup? will they still committed to future call ups ?? however if Rohr promises him world spot does not mean he will start- all depends on fitness of Balogun and he must at least play one of the friendlies -
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

walesvilla wrote:
ANC wrote:honestly, this is becoming unfair...how do you offer someone a ticket even before making sure he is a good fit for SE?
And my query is what happens after world cup? will they still committed to future call ups ?? however if Rohr promises him world spot does not mean he will start- all depends on fitness of Balogun and he must at least play one of the friendlies -

Well once they feature for us at the WC they are tied to us. If they want to continue to play international football, then they have no choice but to be committed.

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

waka-man wrote:He’s a massive prospect. Prospect.
Strong, big, athletic, fearless, fierce. A goal threat too as he only converted to defender in his mid teens.
As you would expect, still raw and has less than a year Bundesliga experience. He still gives away free-kicks, positioning can be suspect and his game is still overly dependent on his exceptional athletic ability as opposed to wisdom and guile.
But yes, he’s good enough to fight for a spot in our 22 and could put Omeruo’s place at risk.
The fact that he’d probably be in the German team in 2 years time is another reason to cap him now.
Have you seen their list? As in the people waiting to be in the german team in 2 years?

You think highly rated kids, who have already being considered today, like:

Starke
Matthias Ginter
Rudiger
Sule
Tah
Heintz

Will just disappear?

And a little older guys like

Hummels
Boateng
Mustafi

Will retire?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

I think our defence (CD in particular) has the least depth, and in my opinion the most vulnerable. I will support any move to strengthen it. This story is not consistent with position Rohr has taken in the past though. I'll wait and see.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

That might be the reprter's spin to get you angry and talking.
It might simply be a case of an invitation to train and join in with the WC preparations.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

walesvilla wrote:
It feels very wrong when a player has repeatedly turnwd us down then we try to tempt him with a world cup place. Hopefully the news is false.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Thank you! I was going to say the same thing. How fair is this? Are we that desperate?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

metalalloy wrote:Interesting. SOmeone to push both Balogun and Troost for a starting spot. I haven't watched this guy, german CE's whats your opinion on him?
Saw them v Schalke and Bayern recently, he was all over the place. I actually thought he was capped by some European country which is why I didn't say anything. If he is free then get him, threat in defense and attack. Hustler, fast, always around the ball.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

If Rohr was interested he would have been called up for the Poland friendly... Looks like someone is recycling today's fish and chips newspaper...
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Odas wrote:
Thank you! I was going to say the same thing. How fair is this? Are we that desperate?
Well I wouldn't mind us been desperate on this one cause we are not particularly reliable in our defense with potential match rustiness and injuries with the likes of Balogun , Torunarigha will definitely be a step up for us, the kid is a massive talent, and versatile too... we need depth in our defense, it's that simple.
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Odas wrote:
Yes. In the defence we are. Truth, not emotion.
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

waka-man wrote:He’s a massive prospect. Prospect.
Felix Uduokhai and Kevin Akpoguma are better than him, any news on them?
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

Mr Shows wrote:If Rohr was interested he would have been called up for the Poland friendly... Looks like someone is recycling today's fish and chips newspaper...
I would think so too. Might also be the agent trying to get Germany to think again about him. Doubt he has a Nigerian passport anyway and it does take time to shift allegiance, so I am almost certain the news has no value
To stop trying is to start dying
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Tobi17 wrote:
Odas wrote:
Well I wouldn't mind us been desperate on this one cause we are not particularly reliable in our defense with potential match rustiness and injuries with the likes of Balogun , Torunarigha will definitely be a step up for us, the kid is a massive talent, and versatile too... we need depth in our defense, it's that simple.
... which is good, but assuming the article's title is true, then I am surprised. A world cup spot is already offered even when he hasn't played for us at all is where I think something is wrong. On the other hand, why wasn't he invited for the friendlies?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Polly wrote:
Odas wrote:
Yes. In the defence we are. Truth, not emotion.
Fine! But wouldn't it have been proper to invite him for the friendlies (granted his has not switched to us) before making or guaranteeing him a world-cup spot, if the title of the article is true?