A chanced encounter with Alloy Agu!

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet
A chanced encounter with Alloy Agu!

Post by oloye »

Sitting down at the depature lounge of the Nnamdi Azikwe airport Abuja wondering what to do to run down the delayed Lufthansa flight on my way back to base after attending my mother in-law's funeral. But as i lifted my head up, i saw these men file into the lounge, they were dressed up in the colours of the Nigerian national team, i realised they were the officials of the national team the Super Eagkes.

I whispered to my wife, that i hope one of these officials would still remember me having left the game over 20 years now. My prayers were answered as i spotted the guy who over the years had served the NFF travel department so well, i jumped up to go say hello...then things picked up from there. Salisu walked in he recognised me , then they beckoned Ibitoye, he was not a player, i believe he is one of the media officials, he knew me way back in Ilorin, he went to the same Seconday school, but he was way back my junior then, but he knew me alright , from my days in Kwasu Bombers. They beckoned to one of the coaches, voila it turned out to be one of the Shooting stars legends, Pascal, we spent some time trvaelling down the memory lane.

Salisu did not waste time reminding me how as a player with El-Kanemi,he managed to score a late corner kick goal against my BCC team. When i told him i married from Benue state , he quickly countered, by saying, 'I also married from Markudi'....to which i reminded him how lucky we both were.

I commended the team for a job well done, ....then Ibitoye made a cheeky comment....see he still looks fit, he can still play for the Super Eagles. I quickly used the opportunity to point out how wel orgaised the team was these days, both in terms of orgainising friendlies and travel. After which i kindly turned down the Ibitoye offer, saying thankfully the days of 'Hey You' players turning up ay random to help make up the team was gone. Well the protocol officer was quick to dig up history,by narrating how in one of the friendlies he had to dress up as one of the players , he even got a few minutes game which Ibitoye jokingly counted as his only international the country.

They told me they were on their way for the Poland and Serbia match,they confirmed the England's match,to which i promised i will be there God willing...heck i even extracted the promise of a jersey from th protocol officer.

As we all dispersed ,i felt this ptivileged encounter would be a waste if i dont do an interview of sort. I was still mulling who best to go to,Salisu was seated right behind me, but we were not thst close back in the day, i am not sure he would feel comfortable if i start popping questions about the team. As i was still pondering on what my next move should be,the protocol officer tapped me on the shoulders and pointed someone i had missed completely to me....what pleasant surprise that was....it was the national team goal keepers trainer, Alloy Agu. The last time i saw him was 1990,when we had a brief stinct with BCC Lions before leaving us for Belgium.

I'd known him prior to that, and playes against one another both on the national league, when he played for both NEPA FC and the defunct ACB FC both of Lagos. Also we faced each other when he manned the goal for Unilag and I playing for Unilorin....so it was pleasant re-union.

After the normal exchange of pleasantries i felt i could get some jist howbeit in an un-official capacity from him. So i spent the next 15 minutes posing some questions to him.
Knowing that one of the biggest concerns on CE is the issue of our goalkeeping situation,this was too good an opportunity to let go. So enjoy the discussions we had.
I asked him what the goalkeeping situation was like,i told him about CE and how apprehensive thr members were with the current situation.

In response he felt the fans have decided to make an issue out of the situation. He used the illustration of being used to driving a particular car and being relunctant to change. As far as he is concerned the inevitability of a change is upon us, and as far the the officials are concerned they can only make do with what they have. He said the aim of the management team is to try to instill a much confidence and belief as possible to the available keepers.

I brought up the issue of Enyeama,his response was, the ball was and still is in Enyeama's courtto play. He expressed the concern everyone shared about his non playing time even if he decides to come back. If he decides to, there wont be any auto shirt, this situation is perfectly understandable considering the plight of Enyeama.The impression i got is that , the move to come back or not is Enyeama's to make.

I brought up the issue of Uzoho, Alloy had good things to say about him. Let me usethe phrase that best captures his impression of the lad.....i have been long in the business to know a good talent. He believes the boy is good, and he cited two attributes.....he is a calm goalie and he has good aerial command. I suspect this attributes standout in contrast to the others...this is my own opinion.
On Ezenwa, he believes the boy has done enough to be allowed to have a go, he cited the Cameroon match as a good validation test. We both agreed thst many fans have chosen to dwell only on the one mistake he made , while sacrificing the good points. That ought not to be we both agreed.

I was tempted to probe further, but i felt i had done enough at least for an impromptu interview, i did not want turn a nice banter into an official interview, i wanted to leave a roomto be able to approach him again in June, when i feel a better opportunity to do more examination will happen.

So bade him farewell with the promise to hook up in June. We boarded the same Flight to Frankfurt, men i felt so good just being with the lads again.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: A chanced encounter with Alloy Agu!

Post by cic old boy »

Nice one sir. Hope to see you at the England game in June.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

Oloye much appreciated :thumb: ... safe travels
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Oloye, good one.

You should have asked about agency business ooo :tic:
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

By the way, why is Alloy rocking a dinner jacket at the airport?
http://www.naijiant.com/
Prince
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Prince »

Oloye so we are seeing you in England, So London SE are we hosting Oloye?
Oya back to the matter
open and close
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Chief, nice one! Would have loved to be a fly on the wall in that airport! :thumbs: :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

cic old boy wrote:By the way, why is Alloy rocking a dinner jacket at the airport?
Dem no dey serve dinner for Lufthansa flight?
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

danfo driver wrote:
cic old boy wrote:By the way, why is Alloy rocking a dinner jacket at the airport?
Great one there, DD, great one!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

danfo driver wrote:
And they served dinner i nor go lie. Alloy na correct Lagos bobo...always dressed to the T.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Polly
Egg
Egg

Post by Polly »

Oloye, please offer a comment on the quality of the toilets at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport. I have had three experiences of the facility in the past three years, each of them embarrassing. I think this is soccer-related, as they are the same ones our soccer stars, officials and visitors also use.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

Polly wrote:Oloye, please offer a comment on the quality of the toilets at the Nnamdi Azikiwe airport. I have had three experiences of the facility in the past three years, each of them embarrassing. I think this is soccer-related, as they are the same ones our soccer stars, officials and visitors also use.
Oga Polly , everything about Nnamdi Azikwe is wrong from its inception. When this eyesore of an airport was being built, i thought it would be bigger and better than the MMA, to call it underwhelming is using good grammar to dress up a crime.

The airport is an anti climax of everything good thing there is to celebrate about the FCT.

Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

i always enjoy Oloye's stories especially when he talks about our local league when it used the be the most interesting stories we had back then, Nepa of Lagos was a very annoying club, we all disliked that club ( they played at Onikan stadium) because nepa dey always take light,everyone wanted them to lose, and J.Berger used to hammer them a lot .... they wore the red kits... you for ask am about that apekyi
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Nice one uncle. You are an Uncle o. I take back every thing I ever said to you without preceeding it with "Uncle" like I do Uncle Ohsee ....and grand uncle yemibrassiere ...and uncle cellulite, and junior Ally uncle princess, and uncle Ogbunigwe, and uncle Okocha10, and ....and all the other uncles on this board
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

danfo driver wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oga Oloye well done man!
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

1naija wrote:Nice one uncle. You are an Uncle o. I take back every thing I ever said to you without preceeding it with "Uncle" like I do Uncle Ohsee ....and grand uncle yemibrassiere ...and uncle cellulite, and junior Ally uncle princess, and uncle Ogbunigwe, and uncle Okocha10, and ....and all the other uncles on this board
and you are the king of all uncles.. we salute you our elder uncle
SuperEagles

Robbynice
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Robbynice »

danfo driver wrote:
I see what you did there bro... :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Egbon Oloye, nice one sir! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
DEM GO HEAR WEN!!! © Robbynice

We don't all have to serve or even honor the call to serve but don't boo those that choose to honor the call to serve...© Cellular 2009

"I do not think I know everything about football but I have massive experience." - Arsene Wenger
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bigpokey24 wrote:i always enjoy Oloye's stories especially when he talks about our local league when it used the be the most interesting stories we had back then, Nepa of Lagos was a very annoying club, we all disliked that club ( they played at Onikan stadium) because nepa dey always take light,everyone wanted them to lose, and J.Berger used to hammer them a lot .... they wore the red kits... you for ask am about that apekyi
We don beg de guy tire make him write book, bobo no gree. If nah to uproot striker nah, the guy go show up first in line. :D
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

metalalloy wrote:
Bigpokey24 wrote:i always enjoy Oloye's stories especially when he talks about our local league when it used the be the most interesting stories we had back then, Nepa of Lagos was a very annoying club, we all disliked that club ( they played at Onikan stadium) because nepa dey always take light,everyone wanted them to lose, and J.Berger used to hammer them a lot .... they wore the red kits... you for ask am about that apekyi
We don beg de guy tire make him write book, bobo no gree. If nah to uproot striker nah, the guy go show up first in line. :D
people used to fear BCC lions, Iwanyawu and even that yeye IICC... no one respected Rangers
SuperEagles

1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

But you could have told Ibitoye to stop lying ...unless he said 3SC and you changed it to Super Eagles. :taunt:
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Yeah he should have rocked a baseball jersey!