Rohr cries out: Eagles lack potent striker

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

esosa
Egg
Egg
Rohr cries out: Eagles lack potent striker

Post by esosa »

Ahead of the friendly with Poland on Friday, Super Eagles Manager, Gernot Rohr has admitted that his team lack the potency in front of goals.

Speaking to PrzeglÄ…d Sportowy, in Wroclaw, Poland, the German lamented that the current squad is not as strong as the 90s team, who qualified for the second round of the World Cup twice in a row, defeated Spain and was close to eliminating Italy at USA 1994, stressing the team lacked such quality stars like Nwankwo Kanu and Austin Okocha, who can single-handedly decide the outcome of matches at the World Cup, but said the strength of the team is team work.

''We do not have such great players as Kanu or Okocha, who then shone, but the strength of this team is the team work,'' said Rohr to PrzeglÄ…d Sportowy.

"Our captain, Obi Mikel or Victor Moses are not the players who will decide the fate of the game themselves, like the stars from the 90s.''

Rohr said a situation where the top scorer enroute qualifying for the Russia 2018 World Cup scored three goals was alarming, but stressed that the consolation is that there are good players capable of scoring, on a given day.

Victor Moses was Nigeria's top scorer with three goals during the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, followed by Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi with two goals each, and Rohr said he was concerned about the absence of a top finisher in the team ahead of the Mundial.

He said: "We really do not have an effective striker, but we have other good players like – Iwobi, Kelechi, Obi Mikel, Ighalo – they are also able to score goals.
esosa
Egg
Egg
Re: Rohr cries out: Eagles lack potent striker

Post by esosa »

esosa wrote:Ahead of the friendly with Poland on Friday, Super Eagles Manager, Gernot Rohr has admitted that his team lack the potency in front of goals.

Speaking to PrzeglÄ…d Sportowy, in Wroclaw, Poland, the German lamented that the current squad is not as strong as the 90s team, who qualified for the second round of the World Cup twice in a row, defeated Spain and was close to eliminating Italy at USA 1994, stressing the team lacked such quality stars like Nwankwo Kanu and Austin Okocha, who can single-handedly decide the outcome of matches at the World Cup, but said the strength of the team is team work.

''We do not have such great players as Kanu or Okocha, who then shone, but the strength of this team is the team work,'' said Rohr to PrzeglÄ…d Sportowy.

"Our captain, Obi Mikel or Victor Moses are not the players who will decide the fate of the game themselves, like the stars from the 90s.''

Rohr said a situation where the top scorer enroute qualifying for the Russia 2018 World Cup scored three goals was alarming, but stressed that the consolation is that there are good players capable of scoring, on a given day.

Victor Moses was Nigeria's top scorer with three goals during the 2018 World Cup qualifiers, followed by Kelechi Iheanacho and Alex Iwobi with two goals each, and Rohr said he was concerned about the absence of a top finisher in the team ahead of the Mundial.

He said: "We really do not have an effective striker, but we have other good players like – Iwobi, Kelechi, Obi Mikel, Ighalo – they are also able to score goals.

I continue to ask "where is Obafemi Martins". Do we have better strikers than Martins on the team?
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

lol...John12, where are thou? Small time now, they will say no one can shoot like Nsofor.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

eyan wrote:lol...John12, where are thou? Small time now, they will say no one can shoot like Nsofor.
If this is NOT FAKE news, I think our coach said what he is supposed to say. Not having a specific goal scorer is even better, it means our opponents will not concentrate on a player and nullify his scoring abilities
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

esosa wrote:
esosa wrote:Ahead of the friendly with Poland on Friday, Super Eagles Manager, Gernot Rohr has admitted that his team lack the potency in front of goals.

I continue to ask "where is Obafemi Martins". Do we have better strikers than Martins on the team?
LOL. I read your topic-post and was thinking to myself--- "where is the link? This seems sketchy" and then i scrolled down and saw your second post. And now it makes sense. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go and tell your client that he will NOT be going to the world cup! Is that clear? Not happening. :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

danfo driver wrote:
esosa wrote:

LOL. I read your topic-post and was thinking to myself--- "where is the link? This seems sketchy" and then i scrolled down and saw your second post. And now it makes sense. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Go and tell your client that he will NOT be going to the world cup! Is that clear? Not happening. :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

This inept man has started to line up excuses for his defense when the inevitability occurs. First SE is the lowest ranked team in his group. Now SE is devoid of a potent striker . SE doesn't have a game changer like Okacha and Kanu Nwankwo. He is making all these excuses but has a stupid allegiance to inept and feckless players like Musa , Akpeyi and Echejilie . On numerous occasions the buffoon has ignored a game changer, the most potent goal scorer Nigeria has in Europe Henry Onyekuru . Absolutely given him little or no chance to prove himself. Now he is cognizant of the fact the pretenders he is currently parading lacks the technical know how and the skill to have a successful tournament . What a shame? Excuse Excuse Excuse
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What's with all these alarmist journalists? Rohr did not say he was lacking strikers, he pointed to the fact that his team is built on team work and chemistry. The article is a gross misrepresentation of what the man said.
OCCUPY NFF!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Time of the year for agency work.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

Odas wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
esosa wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

I am baffled by this except if he is referring to players in the most advanced position. If not, then he must not realize that Iheanacho is actual one of Nigeria's most prolific strikers in history. He scores at a better clip than Obafemi Martins and is actually at a similar scoring clip as Yekini and Usiyan statistically.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

This Okocha eh! You can tell he wrote this story to inject himself into the conversation. When was he ever potent in front of the goal that Rohr will decry not having a player like him?
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Bully stop being an enemy of progress and stop attacking rohr. First, you claimed that rohr couldn’t qualify us from that group he did and you weren’t even men enough to apologize for your doubts. Now, you’re calling him names for not calling your preferable players even if he conquered the strongest WCQ group
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Kabalega wrote:
Odas wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
esosa wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Enugu II wrote:I am baffled by this except if he is referring to players in the most advanced position. If not, then he must not realize that Iheanacho is actual one of Nigeria's most prolific strikers in history. He scores at a better clip than Obafemi Martins and is actually at a similar scoring clip as Yekini and Usiyan statistically.

If the above is true, His comment was made in the context of goals score in WCQ. Iheanacho only scored 2 goals.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

metalalloy wrote:
Enugu II wrote:I am baffled by this except if he is referring to players in the most advanced position. If not, then he must not realize that Iheanacho is actual one of Nigeria's most prolific strikers in history. He scores at a better clip than Obafemi Martins and is actually at a similar scoring clip as Yekini and Usiyan statistically.

If the above is true, His comment was made in the context of goals score in WCQ. Iheanacho only scored 2 goals.
I read it differently though. I believe he is talking about the team's capability at the 2018 World Cup and then uses the qualifiers as an example of lack of potency but we have seen the team beyond just those qualifiers. For instance, why should other games (including v Argentina) not indicate whether we have a potent striker or not? He did not give Iheanacho a lot of minutes in the qualifiers but Iheanacho has proven to be a potent striker for Nigeria. If Rohr was to find a new potent striker between now and the WC, better belief that individual did not play in the qualifiers. Thus, IMHO the important thing is the striker's potency, whether it was at the qualifiers or not.

Here is my recent blog for aclsports that charts Iheanacho's potency in front of goal: https://www.aclsports.com/10453-2/
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

danfo driver wrote:
esosa wrote:

I hope I am wrong but i doubt it. Let's talk after 2 friendly games.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

john12 wrote:Bully stop being an enemy of progress and stop attacking rohr. First, you claimed that rohr couldn’t qualify us from that group he did and you weren’t even men enough to apologize for your doubts. Now, you’re calling him names for not calling your preferable players even if he conquered the strongest WCQ group
I guess you are really exhilarated with his asinine allegiance to headless and feckless chicken Musa. You know it and everybody knows it your client Musa is not even worthy being a ball boy with the SE. Surely at the end the tournament we will ascertain what is it you people have on him. It is glaringly visible even to Steve Wonders that Musa is absolutely devoid of any skill that merits him to come close to SE camp. Now be happy you and your cohorts are have decimated our chance of having a good Mundial through your blackmail .
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Musa is not worhy of being a ball boy yet he is one of the most expensive eyes Nigerian player by transfer markets while also being super eagles present top scorer and most experienced striker. Yet, you believe he should be dropped for some backwater league players instead of building on the exceptional ones at last World Cup
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

Wow "cries out" sounds like he is lamenting and calling for help ala "egba mi o" in those old Yoruba plays.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

esosa wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
esosa wrote:

I hope I am wrong but i doubt it. Let's talk after 2 friendly games.
LOL hoping for us to lose abi? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: typical! i know una well well
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

esosa wrote:

Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).
achuzia-the-air-raid
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by achuzia-the-air-raid »

danfo driver wrote:
esosa wrote:

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Then they said to one another, “We are truly guilty concerning our brother, for we saw the anguish of his soul when he pleaded with us, and we would not hear; therefore this distress has come upon us.” Genesis 42:21

“A doubtful friend is worse than a certain enemy. Let a man be one thing or the other, and we then know how to meet him” (Aesop, 620–564 BC).