IHEANACHO TO PLAY MIKEL ROLE - Owngoal.com

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Robotnik
Egg
Egg
Re: IHEANACHO TO PLAY MIKEL ROLE - Owngoal.com

Post by Robotnik »

-----------------Ighalo-----------------

Iwobi------------Nacho-------------Moses

It might look good on paper, but I am not so sure it will in reality. We have to see

There will be chemistry issues without the following players on the pitch
Mikel
Simon
Joel
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

oloye wrote:People still comparing U17 to full international.... :lol: There is a wide developmental gap, as wide as the sea separating africa from europe. No one comes close to replacing or replicating Mikel's role, not even Iwobi whose style is different
Oloye, I’m sorry but contextually, you’re wrong. Mikel is not any kind of a role player. He is a complete player with unique attributes that work very well for him wherever you decide to play him. When it comes to the specific role of a No. 10, in Mikel’s absence, Kelechi Ihenacho is as good as anyone else we’ve got... And if he could play that role at U17 then he can still do it now. Practice makes perfect :!:

Cheers.
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:
oloye wrote:People still comparing U17 to full international.... :lol: There is a wide developmental gap, as wide as the sea separating africa from europe. No one comes close to replacing or replicating Mikel's role, not even Iwobi whose style is different
Oloye, I’m sorry but contextually, you’re wrong. Mikel is not any kind of a role player. He is a complete player with unique attributes that work very well for him wherever you decide to play him. When it comes to the specific role of a No. 10, in Mikel’s absence, Kelechi Ihenacho is as good as anyone else we’ve got... And if he could play that role at U17 then he can still do it now. Practice makes perfect :!:

Cheers.
Oga TTK, i have my reasons for making the bold statement. Once again that he did it at U17 does not mean he would do it again....the context is different ditto what is required. Heck he could not even replocate it at U20. To start with the role of Mikel is central to everything we do in the CE, he is the glue that holds the team together, it is no brainer why the team tend to fall apart as soon as he goes off. Mikel keeps the ball and does not lose it carelessly even when harassed, and his passing range is way above what Kele can manage.

If i am coaching Poland and i see Kele trying for that role, from his current display ,i know what i will instruct my midfielders to do...harass the hell out of him and get the ball off him. The way Kele topples over...that should not be a difficult thing to accomplish.

I repeat no one comes close to doing and giving us what Mikel gives us. Heck the coach can try other ideas, but please let us not use the phrase 'Play Mikel role'....there is nothing like that....no one in that team can. There is a reason why Mikel at that stage of his career was an established name in the EPL....shoe get size abeg.

Count how many times Kele comes in contact with the ball in the games he has played this season. Heck even go back to his City days and count how many times he touches the ball in a game,then compare it to Mikel and tell me he can play Mikel's role. Mikel is central to everything we do, he is comfortable to have the ball at any where and any point or part of the field without losing it carelessly. Geez this is not about hyping Mikel, this is something simple stats thtows right in our face.

Iwobi or Moses are the people who come close, but both still lack the ability to change the rhythm and tempo of the game like Mikel. Iwobi is all action, always on the go with his one touch footballl. Moses has variation and the intelligence, but restricting him to that role takes away a lot from him and from the team. We need his ability to cause damage by his ability to run at the opponents from every part and anywhere he choses.

As a coach in the absence of Mikel, you simply think of a new and different approach, he has to think out of the box with the players available. In football when you lose players like Messi, Zidane, Ronaldo, Maradonna and yes our own Mikel...you dont look for someone to replicate their role...you simply tear up the script and look for a new tactical approach.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

oloye wrote:

Cheers.
Oga TTK, i have my reasons for making the bold statement. Once again that he did it at U17 does not mean he would do it again....the context is different ditto what is required. Heck he could not even replocate it at U20. To start with the role of Mikel is central to everything we do in the CE, he is the glue that holds the team together, it is no brainer why the team tend to fall apart as soon as he goes off. Mikel keeps the ball and does not lose it carelessly even when harassed, and his passing range is way above what Kele can manage.

If i am coaching Poland and i see Kele trying for that role, from his current display ,i know what i will instruct my midfielders to do...harass the hell out of him and get the ball off him. The way Kele topples over...that should not be a difficult thing to accomplish.

I repeat no one comes close to doing and giving us what Mikel gives us. Heck the coach can try other ideas, but please let us not use the phrase 'Play Mikel role'....there is nothing like that....no one in that team can. There is a reason why Mikel at that stage of his career was an established name in the EPL....shoe get size abeg.

Count how many times Kele comes in contact with the ball in the games he has played this season. Heck even go back to his City days and count how many times he touches the ball in a game,then compare it to Mikel and tell me he can play Mikel's role. Mikel is central to everything we do, he is comfortable to have the ball at any where and any point or part of the field without losing it carelessly. Geez this is not about hyping Mikel, this is something simple stats thtows right in our face.

Iwobi or Moses are the people who come close, but both still lack the ability to change the rhythm and tempo of the game like Mikel. Iwobi is all action, always on the go with his one touch footballl. Moses has variation and the intelligence, but restricting him to that role takes away a lot from him and from the team. We need his ability to cause damage by his ability to run at the opponents from every part and anywhere he choses.

As a coach in the absence of Mikel, you simply think of a new and different approach, he has to think out of the box with the players available. In football when you lose players like Messi, Zidane, Ronaldo, Maradonna and yes our own Mikel...you dont look for someone to replicate their role...you simply tear up the script and look for a new tactical approach.
Kpom Kwem!
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

oloye wrote:

Cheers.

Agreed. If Rohr wants to try someone in the Mikel position,
I believe the best candidate if Joel Obi.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Only time we lost was when our captain was out...kai God bless Mikel!

Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

maceo4 wrote:Only time we lost was when our captain was out...kai God bless Mikel!

That loss was also down to so many junks in the first 11, including akpeyi, and Simon
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

9jaMan wrote:
maceo4 wrote:Only time we lost was when our captain was out...kai God bless Mikel!

That loss was also down to so many junks in the first 11, including akpeyi, and Simon
Same junks played in other games we won...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

maceo4 wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Yeah, with Mikel playing the junks are not easily exposed.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

9jaMan wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Hence, God bless Mikel, glad we reached the same conclusion :thumbs:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

maceo4 wrote:
9jaMan wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
9jaMan wrote:

Hence, God bless Mikel, glad we reached the same conclusion :thumbs:
:thumbs:
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:

Cheers.

Oloye,

KPOM!!! People tend to underrate Mikel's ability and role. Even Moses and Iwobi that you mentioned don't even come close in ability to protect the ball when pressured and none of those two have the range of passes that Mikel has. Iwobi sure has vision and can pass but his passes are not Pirlo-like as Mikel can produce at times.

I do not think that Iheanacho is expected to play like Mikel. Not at all. Iheanacho is not similar to Mikel. Iheanacho, however, provides a deeper threat at scoring. He must really put in the work but he can be successful as he showed in previous games at that position under Rohr.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Iwobi is better suited to that role than Iheanacho. With iwobi playing as an AM your striker is guaranteed to get a couple of clear-cut chances in addition to it Iheanacho best feature is scoring. I hope the 2 can interchange as the game go on
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Think the team will play a different system without Mikel.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Iwobi is better suited to that role than Iheanacho. With iwobi playing as an AM your striker is guaranteed to get a couple of clear-cut chances in addition to it Iheanacho best feature is scoring. I hope the 2 can interchange as the game go on
Let him stay wide abeg he’s a turnover machine.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

smartbrother wrote:seems like an idiotic idea
but you never know
Easy - Sir! It is the coach's task to manage regardless of what it might seem to you or any of us
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Kaii!! Rohr na wicked man!

"John Obi Mikel is our UNCONTESTED leader"

I hope the Crook and his agents have heard! :clap: :clap: :clap: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
donadoni
Egg
Egg
Re: HOW THE SUPER EAGLES WILL LIKELY PLAY POLAND: Line-up

Post by donadoni »

Team B seems to be missing a player
kali
Egg
Egg

Post by kali »

Rohr and I must be twins. I always thought iheanacho is better as an AM not striker. He flourishes attacking from deep and passes very well.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=283699&p=5109522&hi ... o#p5109522

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284411&p=5127158&hi ... o#p5127158

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=284754&p=5136311&hi ... o#p5136311
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I'm not a fan of Kele as an AM. Kele is a poacher and very clinical in the penalty box. In my opinion either you play his a forward or you keep him on the bench. Taking on players, holding up the ball and dictating the pace of attack are not Kele's strengths. When Kele is played as an AM, there are stretches of the game where he seems to go missing.

Iwobi or Joel Obi are my AM candidates for today's game. I like Iwobi in that role because he's always looking to play 1-2 passes and will keep the ball moving. With Ndidi and Joel Obi behind him he should be able to thrive in that role because they are both hardworking players who will recover the ball from the opponents.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

olu wrote:I'm not a fan of Kele as an AM. Kele is a poacher and very clinical in the penalty box. In my opinion either you play his a forward or you keep him on the bench. Taking on players, holding up the ball and dictating the pace of attack are not Kele's strengths. When Kele is played as an AM, there are stretches of the game where he seems to go missing.

Iwobi or Joel Obi are my AM candidates for today's game. I like Iwobi in that role because he's always looking to play 1-2 passes and will keep the ball moving. With Ndidi and Joel Obi behind him he should be able to thrive in that role because they are both hardworking players who will recover the ball from the opponents.
Olu,

For Nigeria, however, Iheanacho has done much better playing either in the position of AM or support striker or when paired with another attacker. On the other hand, his poor games have come when he is used as the lone attacker for Nigeria.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

Kelechi Iheanacho is great at threading balls through the back 4 to strikers going for goal. He did it at U-17 and is still doing it. Recently, he created an opening for Riyad Mayhrez simply by lifting the ball over the heads of the back 4 for Mayhrez to score. But Iheanacho cannot demand the ball, hold it, shield it, protect it, exchange 1-2 passes to throw opponents off in the central areas of the pitch. Kele is slow and is not strong. Kele always seems to treat the ball like it is a a hot potato. Mikel caresses it just like the midfield supremo that he is. Rather than for Mikel to release the ball under duress, Mikel will go physical and cause the opponent to foul him just for us to keep the advantage. As Oloye said, there is no replacement for Mikel in the SE team today. Fact.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Enugu II wrote:
oloye wrote:

Cheers.

Oloye,

KPOM!!! People tend to underrate Mikel's ability and role. Even Moses and Iwobi that you mentioned don't even come close in ability to protect the ball when pressured and none of those two have the range of passes that Mikel has. Iwobi sure has vision and can pass but his passes are not Pirlo-like as Mikel can produce at times.

I do not think that Iheanacho is expected to play like Mikel. Not at all. Iheanacho is not similar to Mikel. Iheanacho, however, provides a deeper threat at scoring. He must really put in the work but he can be successful as he showed in previous games at that position under Rohr.
My dear esteemed forum associates Oloye and Enugu II, the hypothetical question here wasn’t “Can Nacho do a Mikel”? The answer to that question is NO obviously. No one can do a Mikel; not Matic, not N’Golo Kante and not even Makelele. The real question is can Nacho play the 10 role for Nigeria? Enugu II, you more or less answered that question in your closing paragraph. All things considered, the answer to that is YES; obviously :!:

Cheers.