Martins and Ideye

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

zee
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Martins and Ideye

Post by zee »

danfo driver wrote:
zee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
Do you know what "on target" means? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

'What the hell is this lunatic groupie.........babbling'

a pygmy's groupie 'on target' :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

zee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
zee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

'What the hell is this lunatic groupie.........babbling'

a pygmy's groupie 'on target' :lol: :lol: :lol:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

danfo driver wrote: Do you know what "on target" means? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
why is this groupie always .......'on targeting' me :woot: :woot:
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

zee wrote:
danfo driver wrote: Do you know what "on target" means? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

danfo driver wrote:
zee wrote:

Do you know what "on target" means?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
you mean like the finger marks on the................

football-coward's ugly face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........Pep :thumbs: :thumbs: slapped the hell out of your hero and you have every reason to hate the great Pep.......................Pep was really 'on target' :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

zee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
zee wrote:

Do you know what "on target" means?
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
you mean like the finger marks on the................

football-coward's ugly face :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ........Pep :thumbs: :thumbs: slapped the hell out of your hero and you have every reason to hate the great Pep.......................Pep was really 'on target' :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
Do you know what "on target" means? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

pajimoh wrote:
globalinksnn wrote:we need these guys

igaho na ok striker but he will never be a Martins

we need physical presence upfront via ideye

zero shots at goal vs poland !!!!! what does that show or state ?
You're right o. I think we should add Emenike, Nsorfor, The Yak etc ?

Ideye is so prolific that he scores a goal every 15 games or so. Oba is done with the SE. Didn't do much the last wc he participated in.

I'm waiting for someone to try and bring back Ameobi.
Obafemi Martins is scoring and has been scoring. He recently led his team to win the Chinese FA Cup title. Right before China, he was extremely prolific in the MLS. Trying to categorize Martins now with Nsofor, Emenike, Yak is a bit too low to go. He is an instinctive striker that creates goals from nothing but somehow Ighalo is better?. Please explain? I am begging anyone to please explain why we are better off with Ighalo. It is only on this forum that we celebrate a striker holding the ball at the expense of goals. I cant remember Chelsea or Manu or Barca paying top dollar for a striker with the emphasis on his ball holding skills and not goals.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

danfo driver wrote:

Do you know what "on target" means? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
It looks like below.................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The football-coward's ugly face after getting PEP-slapped :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ...........that was truly 'on target' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

zee wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

It looks like below.................. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The football-coward's ugly face after getting PEP-slaped :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: ...........that was truly 'on target' :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Do you know what "on target" means? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

esosa wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Ideye is so prolific that he scores a goal every 15 games or so. Oba is done with the SE. Didn't do much the last wc he participated in.

Obafemi Martins is scoring and has been scoring. He recently led his team to win the Chinese FA Cup title. Right before China, he was extremely prolific in the MLS. Trying to categorize Martins now with Nsofor, Emenike, Yak is a bit too low to go. He is an instinctive striker that creates goals from nothing but somehow Ighalo is better?. Please explain? I am begging anyone to please explain why we are better off with Ighalo. It is only on this forum that we celebrate a striker holding the ball at the expense of goals. I cant remember Chelsea or Manu or Barca paying top dollar for a striker with the emphasis on his ball holding skills and not goals.
Bein is showing the match right now...............go and watch Ighalo AGAIN before posting further.
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

zee wrote:
esosa wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Bein is showing the match right now...............go and watch Ighalo AGAIN before posting further.
It will be more fruitful for everyone here if you watch Martins. Most of us have watched the match and other matches with Ighalo
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

esosa wrote:
zee wrote:
esosa wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

It will be more fruitful for everyone here if you watch Martins. Most of us have watched the match and other matches with Ighalo
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

esosa wrote:
zee wrote:
esosa wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Martins na my person since long time but he will run out of gas in 20mins if he tries to do what the coach wants Ighalo to do for the team................martins won't be chasing balls down the flanks nor will he return to our box to head out CKs neither will he be willing/able to double as a forward/'harasser' of the opponents defenders.
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

If I was Odion Ighalo, after reading the insults here, I would never play for Nigeria again. This is a man who gave you blood and tears yesterday and see the gratitude he gets.

Yesterday, Ighalo:

Held the ball up
Worked the channels
Dragged defenders out of position
Ran into space
Took on defenders one-on-one
Tried a few one-twos
Made diagonal runs anticipating a pass from midfield
Closed down the Polish defence as they tried to play the ball out
Got clattered in aerial challenges
Ploughed a lone forrow for about 70 minutes

If he had got half of the support Lebondoswski received, Ighalo would have probably scored a hat trick. Anyway, that is one position in the team totally sorted. Traditionally, Nigeria always tends to produce good targetmen - Yekini, Emenike and now Ighalo.
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:If I was Odion Ighalo, after reading the insults here, I would never play for Nigeria again. This is a man who gave you blood and tears yesterday and see the gratitude he gets.

Yesterday, Ighalo:

Held the ball up
Worked the channels
Ran into space
Tried a few one-twos

If he had got half of the support Lebondoswski received, Ighalo would have probably scored a hat trick. Anyway, that is one position in the team totally sorted. Traditionally, Nigeria always tends to produce good targetmen - Yekini, Emenike and now Ighalo.
Really!!! Ighalo Would have scored a hatrick?
Has he ever scored even two goals in the same game playing for Nigeria? Actually when did he score last for Nigeria?

Most of us have come to terms with the fact that we have a non scoring striker, a player that is not prolific in front of goal. Unfortunately non of our other big men upfront are ready for this World Cup so we have put up with Mrs Ighalo for now. I am hopeful things may change.
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:If I was Odion Ighalo, after reading the insults here, I would never play for Nigeria again. This is a man who gave you blood and tears yesterday and see the gratitude he gets.

Yesterday, Ighalo:

Held the ball up
Worked the channels
Ran into space
Tried a few one-twos

It is disturbing that we go through this just about every world cup. We defend non performance and come up with our own standards for performance. When disaster happens, we come up with another standard to defend performance and those that supported the status quo quickly create new threads about moving forward and building from scratch. I ask again - How is Ighalo a better option than Martins now?
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

esosa wrote:

Yesterday, Ighalo:

Held the ball up
Worked the channels
Ran into space
Tried a few one-twos

It is disturbing that we go through this just about every world cup. We defend non performance and come up with our own standards for performance. When disaster happens, we come up with another standard to defend performance and those that supported the status quo quickly create new threads about moving forward and building from scratch. I ask again - How is Ighalo a better option than Martins now?
It is abominable ignorance to even suggest we play Martins as a targetman. It gives a new meaning to the term football illiterate.
globalinksnn
Egg
Egg

Post by globalinksnn »

to compare martins with ighalo means who ever is on drugs or just dull.

hold up play my A..

Roger Milla scored in the WC at what age?, martin has not lost steam.

on Ideye his physical presence creates alot of in roads for the main striker.

pple just post rubbish on the forum without any insights.

what was the average height of our strikers in 1994

what is the average height of our present strikers?

Ighalo can only hold up play on the ground , his aerial presence is nothing to write home about,

how many goals has ighalo scored for Nigeria and in how many matches?

Musa or Ighalo cant be described as clinical strikers
esosa
Egg
Egg

Post by esosa »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:
esosa wrote:

Yesterday, Ighalo:

Held the ball up
Worked the channels
Ran into space
Tried a few one-twos

It is abominable ignorance to even suggest we play Martins as a targetman. It gives a new meaning to the term football illiterate.
I am keenly waiting for you to shed some light on this so that my football ignorance can be dispelled. What is it about Ighalo that makes him better than Martins other than the great ability to "hold the ball". You are a man of letters, an author. Articulating these points should not be challenging.
globalinksnn
Egg
Egg

Post by globalinksnn »

we had yekini, Aghaowa , emenike etc

we had seen what scoring strikers look like

ighalo scores every leap year and yet pple are keen to yarn opata on Ighalo

presently we dont have a clinical striker, dont mention Kelechi he is oK , young and has his limitations

none of the strikers in present eagles can clean martins boots

facts not sentiments,

flashback 1993 /1994 we all saw what Amokachi did in creating chances for Baba Yekini

Ideye is not a not a clinical strikers but his physical presence can never be underrated.

Emenike will surely give you guys some insights to what Ideye can provide to any team
truetalk
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by truetalk »

No tears for Martins (and I'll add Osaze and Ike Uche).

Those 3 had enough talent and longevity to make Nigeria a consistently top team for the last 15 years.

Martins should be talking of going to his 4th world cup and should easily have 20 goals in CANs and World Cups, and well over 100 caps for Nigeria, but he does not even have up to 20 goals total for the country.

BTW, Martins is a much better striker than Ighalo today, and it is a sacrilege to even compare their careers.

However, his time for the SE has passed, and that is that.

Ighalo is lucky (I think he is a really good person too). He showed up in the one game that mattered most (against Cameroon at home), and despite having a really poor record with the Eagles, that game just locked up a WC spot for him.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

We don't need Ideye, he's been average or below each time I've seen him for Malaga. Martins may still be useful coming off the bench, however, ideally it would be nice to have another striker in the squad that can hold up the ball that could be a back up to Ighalo. Umar Sadiq may be a good alternative.
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

Yes Ighalo has had some poor games for Nigeria, however, the game against Poland wasn't one of them. Despite receiving little service from the midfield, he held the ball up brilliantly and troubled the Polish defence with his strength and pace in the first half. I actually agree with Ayo that Ighalo had a good game. A striker can have a good game despite not scoring. Ighalo is still our best option as a CF.

Flex Swift wrote:

Yesterday, Ighalo:

Held the ball up
Worked the channels
Ran into space
Tried a few one-twos

Really!!! Ighalo Would have scored a hatrick?
Has he ever scored even two goals in the same game playing for Nigeria? Actually when did he score last for Nigeria?

Most of us have come to terms with the fact that we have a non scoring striker, a player that is not prolific in front of goal. Unfortunately non of our other big men upfront are ready for this World Cup so we have put up with Mrs Ighalo for now. I am hopeful things may change.