'Zero Shots On Target' Is a Serious Discussion Point

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 'Zero Shots On Target' Is a Serious Discussion Point

Post by smartbrother »

pajimoh wrote:
smartbrother wrote:Some People love burying their heads in the sand
Untill the issues blow up in their faces
I just hope iRohr is not one of such people

It’s a significant stat given We had great goal scorers in nacho and Ighalo on the pitch
if you can’t create chances for your strikers from open play you get stats like this
In my view the reason is we are fundamentally a counterattacking side
Uninterested in controlling games or executing good build up play
Especially When Mikel is not available

There is Nothing wrong in counterattacking football
Until we go behind and need to find a goal
against a team that’s good at keeping possession and parking the bus
This is not a question of head in the sand. .... Nigeria did not get here by not registering a shot on goal. This Is not the norm. You'll have games like this. Club sides and big teams do.
They will obviously review the game.
Lets see how the next game pans out
I didn’t say we are a bad side
I’m saying we only excel At playing counterattacking football
And are overly reliant on Mikel for generating creative openings
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

smartbrother wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

It’s a significant stat given We had great goal scorers in nacho and Ighalo on the pitch
if you can’t create chances for your strikers from open play you get stats like this

This is not a question of head in the sand. .... Nigeria did not get here by not registering a shot on goal. This Is not the norm. You'll have games like this. Club sides and big teams do.
I didn’t say we aren’t a good team
I agree on the overreliance on Mikel but we've played games on the front foot as well. Our games always seem like counter attacking especially when we are under the cosh. We are naturally a pacey team so when we break from the back it's at pace.

This team is comfortable doing both.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

smartbrother wrote:
danfo driver wrote:

Hmm, you mean like against Argentina, when we were 2 goals down? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Unfortunately for you, this Nigerian team is tactically versatile. We can play counter attach and we can create. Best believe that.
Why Nigeria being tactically versatile would be unfortunate me is a question I’ll leave for you and your tortured mind to ponder
Against Argentina Our goals were set pieces and counterattacks
Imho if we go one goal down vs any of our opponents in a competitive setting like the wc we will struggle to get back in the game
this our victory hurts your soul, doesnt it? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

smartbrother wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

I didn’t say we are a bad side
Argentina over rely on Messi, you dont see their fans crying like a 12 year old girl who just realized that she has a pimple. :roll:
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

I think some are being a little oversensitive about this ZSOT discussion point.
It can be seen either as a negative or a positive.
It is NOT a criticism of the overall team performance and does not take away from the victory by any means.

The fact that we are even discussing it is a big positive.
Why?
Because once upon a time we would have gotten ourselves drunk on a victory over the 6th best team in the world. Rather, we are seeing it in context and micro-analysing our team to find what we can do to get even better. We are not suddenly 'top 5 in the world' because we beat the world's "6th best team".
We are not satisfied yet just because we beat Argentina two months ago.
We are taking it in our stride and still striving to improve.

We are now operating on an elevated level where we are looking to compete with the best rather than with the second best. Its a mind thing. We are no longer agreeing with those saying we are 'stacked' with midfielders or 'loaded' with strikers or 'sorted' with goalkeepers simply because we have players performing in the top leagues of the world.
We know that we should and can do even better and are on the lookout for ways to improve.

Once upon a time we were simply happy to have one or two 'FB' players in the national team.
John Chidozie, Tunji Banjo, were our 'superstars' back then.
Now we have a whole team of international names, but we are not complacent.

There is nothing wrong in examining why we had ZSOT in any given game and that is simply because we are edging closer to positioning ourselves as one of the world's very best. We will not stop until we get to the level of the Germanys and Brazils.

A friend of mine once told me that people found it uncomfortable to be around him and felt he was arrogant and a poser simply because on his personal and business calls he was always talking about ''millions" of pounds/dollars. "But that is my reality. Those are the figures I deal with on a daily basis". In short, levels don change.

Same with our SE team. Our levels don change and therefore when we are pushing for performances that match the world's very best, it is not because we are being negative but because whether we know it or not, we see ourselves on a higher platform and we are slowly measuring our output against the world's very best. No more 'we are happy to be here' mentality. Our expectations have to rise in line with what we instinctively know we have.

You can bet your 1Naira that the elite countries of the world WILL ask why their team had ZSOT - no matter who they played or where.

My 2Naira.
Thanks for agreeing with me. :D :D :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

2 things.

1. It shows that we can still find a way to win even when we are not firing on all cylinders.
2. The second thing it means, which I mentioned in the game thread is that the lone striker formation will not work against most teams, ESPECIALLY when the key supplier to the striker (MIKEL) is absent!. We were successful against Cameroon with it because of the visionary superb pass that Mikel laid to Ighalo.

I think Mikel makes this team a lot mot dangerous. We will see the difference on Tuesday if he is able to sort out his work permit situation. His presence in the team opens up game for Iheanacho and even Iwobi. Plus, I think the players have a lot of respect for him that they stay disciplined in their roles.
The Lord is my Shepherd. I shall not be in want.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:I think some are being a little oversensitive about this ZSOT discussion point.
It can be seen either as a negative or a positive.
It is NOT a criticism of the overall team performance and does not take away from the victory by any means.

The fact that we are even discussing it is a big positive.
Why?
Because once upon a time we would have gotten ourselves drunk on a victory over the 6th best team in the world. Rather, we are seeing it in context and micro-analysing our team to find what we can do to get even better. We are not suddenly 'top 5 in the world' because we beat the world's "6th best team".
We are not satisfied yet just because we beat Argentina two months ago.
We are taking it in our stride and still striving to improve.

We are now operating on an elevated level where we are looking to compete with the best rather than with the second best. Its a mind thing. We are no longer agreeing with those saying we are 'stacked' with midfielders or 'loaded' with strikers or 'sorted' with goalkeepers simply because we have players performing in the top leagues of the world.
We know that we should and can do even better and are on the lookout for ways to improve.

Once upon a time we were simply happy to have one or two 'FB' players in the national team.
John Chidozie, Tunji Banjo, were our 'superstars' back then.
Now we have a whole team of international names, but we are not complacent.

There is nothing wrong in examining why we had ZSOT in any given game and that is simply because we are edging closer to positioning ourselves as one of the world's very best. We will not stop until we get to the level of the Germanys and Brazils.

A friend of mine once told me that people found it uncomfortable to be around him and felt he was arrogant and a poser simply because on his personal and business calls he was always talking about ''millions" of pounds/dollars. "But that is my reality. Those are the figures I deal with on a daily basis". In short, levels don change.

Same with our SE team. Our levels don change and therefore when we are pushing for performances that match the world's very best, it is not because we are being negative but because whether we know it or not, we see ourselves on a higher platform and we are slowly measuring our output against the world's very best. No more 'we are happy to be here' mentality. Our expectations have to rise in line with what we instinctively know we have.

You can bet your 1Naira that the elite countries of the world WILL ask why their team had ZSOT - no matter who they played or where.

My 2Naira.
D, I don't think most are against debating ZSOT. As you alluded, we are actual discussing it. What some are saying, at least I'm saying is, it's not a problem. Nigeria did not qualify first by having ZSOT. Nigeria did not beat Argentina by having ZSOT. Even when we lost to South Africa we did not have ZSOT problem.
A problem is something that happens regularly. I remember when we struggle to score more than two goals per game. That was a problem.
They will review this game. It could just be a bad day at the office in terms of shots on target but not necessarily a "Problem".
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

Damunk wrote:You can bet your 1Naira that the elite countries of the world WILL ask why their team had ZSOT - no matter who they played or where.

My 2Naira.
No comments yet... but we are monitoring this sudden fixation on the Nigerian currency.
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

We are sweet talking ourselves into ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a striking problem and that's the weakest link in the team at the moment. If Ighalo and Kelechi weren't being fed chances to score, they could have done their bit to take some pressure off the defence. Instead they played crap to put it bluntly. Ighalo made poor runs or didn't run at all on those wasted counter attacking opportunities. We could have played with 10 men to equal Kelechi's influence. We've beaten two good teams in friendlies but we need to keep our feet on the ground. At the WC, Aguero will not faint at half time and Lewandowski will stay on the pitch bleeding. We are sweet talking ourselves with the 6th ranked team talk. We didn't do well upfront yesterday, and didn't create much from open play. If we start counting setpieces and feel we did ok, then we need to start employing Big Sam and Tony Pulis tactics turning throw ins into corners and all.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

felarey wrote:We are sweet talking ourselves into ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a striking problem and that's the weakest link in the team at the moment. If Ighalo and Kelechi weren't being fed chances to score, they could have done their bit to take some pressure off the defence. Instead they played crap to put it bluntly. Ighalo made poor runs or didn't run at all on those wasted counter attacking opportunities. We could have played with 10 men to equal Kelechi's influence. We've beaten two good teams in friendlies but we need to keep our feet on the ground. At the WC, Aguero will not faint at half time and Lewandowski will stay on the pitch bleeding. We are sweet talking ourselves with the 6th ranked team talk. We didn't do well upfront yesterday, and didn't create much from open play. If we start counting setpieces and feel we did ok, then we need to start employing Big Sam and Tony Pulis tactics turning throw ins into corners and all.
We've always known we've not had a Yekini for a long time. That is not what this thread is about. No one is singing how prolific our strikers are/were.

We can't manufacture prolific strikers at this stage. We can only hope to discover one or two or a favorable pairing.

What this thread is about I having no shots on target in a game. Even with our goal shy strikers and as a team, is that the norm?
1naija
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by 1naija »

felarey wrote:We are sweet talking ourselves into ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a striking problem and that's the weakest link in the team at the moment. If Ighalo and Kelechi weren't being fed chances to score, they could have done their bit to take some pressure off the defence. Instead they played crap to put it bluntly. Ighalo made poor runs or didn't run at all on those wasted counter attacking opportunities. We could have played with 10 men to equal Kelechi's influence. We've beaten two good teams in friendlies but we need to keep our feet on the ground. At the WC, Aguero will not faint at half time and Lewandowski will stay on the pitch bleeding. We are sweet talking ourselves with the 6th ranked team talk. We didn't do well upfront yesterday, and didn't create much from open play. If we start counting setpieces and feel we did ok, then we need to start employing Big Sam and Tony Pulis tactics turning throw ins into corners and all.

And none of these could be because of what Poland was doing defensively right?
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

We don't have a striking problem neither is that the 'elephant in the room'.............our strikers not scoring in a game might still leave us with a point but letting in avoidable goal/s will leave us with zero points. And that my friend is the 'elephant in the room'.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
opine
Egg
Egg

Post by opine »

Apart from ZSOT I was also concerned about 1) we could hardly string 3 passes together unless it was along the back line or going backwards 2) We seemed lose out on too many loose balls in the middle.

My view generally is that unless you know what the coach is trying to get out of a friendly, it’s hard to judge. Best we can do is critic individual players contributions.

Also, let me add for the heck of it that Poland is ranked 6th cos they were smart at gaming the FIFA rankings not because the are roughly “6th best in world”. Do you guys really believe that? Anyway Whether we play badly or not, ZSOT or not I expect SE to beat 2nd tier Euro teams like Poland
Tbite wrote: Yes we have deadweights in our team like Babatunde, Agbim and Rueben, but they are OUR deadweights! Our wastepipes! We must love them...respect them! If we do not love our junks....who will? Who?
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

felarey wrote: We are sweet talking ourselves into ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a striking problem and that's the weakest link in the team at the moment. If Ighalo and Kelechi weren't being fed chances to score, they could have done their bit to take some pressure off the defence. Instead they played crap to put it bluntly. Ighalo made poor runs or didn't run at all on those wasted counter attacking opportunities. We could have played with 10 men to equal Kelechi's influence. We've beaten two good teams in friendlies but we need to keep our feet on the ground. At the WC, Aguero will not faint at half time and Lewandowski will stay on the pitch bleeding. We are sweet talking ourselves with the 6th ranked team talk. We didn't do well upfront yesterday, and didn't create much from open play. If we start counting setpieces and feel we did ok, then we need to start employing Big Sam and Tony Pulis tactics turning throw ins into corners and all.
Bros Felarey! Where - what point - do I start to praise your post? In fact (except in one or two areas), I will simply say - thank you - that's all. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: You wrote (almost) what was totally on my mind and I will add nothing else to it
Last edited by Odas on Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:
We've always known we've not had a Yekini for a long time. That is not what this thread is about. No one is singing how prolific our strikers are/were.

We can't manufacture prolific strikers at this stage. We can only hope to discover one or two or a favorable pairing.

What this thread is about I having no shots on target in a game. Even with our goal shy strikers and as a team, is that the norm?
Paj, granted we are not the coaching crew, but when are we going to try to fix the problem - then?
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Odas wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

Paj, granted we are not the coaching crew, but when are we going to try to fix the problem - then?
What problem do you want to fix exactly?
Some countries have strikers that can score 20-30 goals per season for top clubs. We don't at the moment.
It doesn't mean in a few years such players won't emerge.
That leaves the next best thing, squeeze as much as you can from what you have. That could mean tactics, selection etc

I believe this is what we are currently doing. Our top goal scorer during wc qualification was Moses with 3 goals. Yet we qualified with ease.

We played Argentina and scored 4. It has to be a joint effort rather than looking for a Kane/Aguero type players you don't have.

It is even best if goals can come from any member of the team.

So what is the problem? Having a prolific scorer is good but can also be bad when they are not in the team. Having a scoring team is better.

We won Afcon with Emenike top scoring with about 4 goals.

You also need to remember we've only lost a game under Rohr even with our supposedly poor strikers issue.

As long as the collective are contributing and scoring then you have no problem. But if you're looking for a prolific scorer, then we have a problem.

Our game yesterday was nothing more than a bad day at the office and we still won.

If that game was the final of the WC, I think most people would be glad for the victory. A good team always find a way to win.
They have one of the world's best striker and did not score. We are complaining about our strikers yet we won the game.

Every game can be improved upon. Lets wait for the next game and see if indeed we do have a problem.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Kele is fast turning into this one position kind of players. He is really only good as the top man and therefore should only be a direct replacement for Ighalo. I kninda knew we would struggle yesterday because of the lack of pace we had with Ighalo, Iwobi and Kele. I know he's not everybodies cup of tea but I think Ideye would be perfect to play behind Ighalo.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Damunk wrote:Seriously now.
Sentiments aside, we can't sweep this vital statistic under the carpet.
The return of Mikel isn't going to correct this, and neither will Etebo.

So what is the problem?
What do we do?
What are our options?
What is Rohr thinking about this?
I agree it is a worry but there are mitigating circumstances. We played a young team in terms of the experience of playing together. A new RB, a young keeper, playing away from home against a top team etc etc. We also set up to play defensively and looked to counter attack.

I thought overall we did well given the conditions and odds against us. But this what friendlies are for, I am sure Rohr knows he has issues to address and being creative whilst being solid defensively is something we will be working on.

I saw a lot to be positive about but some concerns too. For example, we must work on set piece defending, but I thought as a team, we were very good without the ball. I loved how we matched up against quality opposition away from home and what makes it encouraging is, you know we are going to get better.

Let keep our fingers crossed we have our best players and ready for the WC. If we do, there are so many things to be positive about.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

airwolex wrote:Kele is fast turning into this one position kind of players. He is really only good as the top man and therefore should only be a direct replacement for Ighalo. I kninda knew we would struggle yesterday because of the lack of pace we had with Ighalo, Iwobi and Kele. I know he's not everybodies cup of tea but I think Ideye would be perfect to play behind Ighalo.
I play Ideye myself, but behind Kele. He could be the real ace in the pack. We all know he is very talented, he is the type who can play out of his skin cos he has a point to prove.

Kele and Iwobi are not slow.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

pajimoh wrote:
Odas wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

What problem do you want to fix exactly?
Some countries have strikers that can score 20-30 goals per season for top clubs. We don't at the moment.
It doesn't mean in a few years such players won't emerge.
That leaves the next best thing, squeeze as much as you can from what you have. That could mean tactics, selection etc

I believe this is what we are currently doing. Our top goal scorer during wc qualification was Moses with 3 goals. Yet we qualified with ease.

We played Argentina and scored 4. It has to be a joint effort rather than looking for a Kane/Aguero type players you don't have.

It is even best if goals can come from any member of the team.

So what is the problem? Having a prolific scorer is good but can also be bad when they are not in the team. Having a scoring team is better.

We won Afcon with Emenike top scoring with about 4 goals.

You also need to remember we've only lost a game under Rohr even with our supposedly poor strikers issue.

As long as the collective are contributing and scoring then you have no problem. But if you're looking for a prolific scorer, then we have a problem.

Our game yesterday was nothing more than a bad day at the office and we still won.

If that game was the final of the WC, I think most people would be glad for the victory. A good team always find a way to win.
They have one of the world's best striker and did not score. We are complaining about our strikers yet we won the game.

Every game can be improved upon. Lets wait for the next game and see if indeed we do have a problem.
This I said in one of my posts few days ago before our game with Poland. In the post, I reasoned not having a specific goal scorer in our team is even better because any of our men can score at anytime; therefore, the goal target-man cannot be marked-out and nullified
Last edited by Odas on Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

And at the world cup, Moses, Onazi, Joel, and Uzoho (full game) will play, unlike the Argentina match.

At the world cup, Mikel and Etebo will be available, and Balogun, Iheanacho, Iwobi, Joel, Shehu will all be available to play full games even if they were bleeding.

You guys think Argentina and Poland were the only ones missing players? Or the only ones who made subs? Yes, we are sweet talking ourselves, but you are insulting us.

This is ridiculous! We lose, people commit suicide. We win, they commit suicide. What tha foook do you guys want??
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Waffiman wrote:
airwolex wrote:Kele is fast turning into this one position kind of players. He is really only good as the top man and therefore should only be a direct replacement for Ighalo. I kninda knew we would struggle yesterday because of the lack of pace we had with Ighalo, Iwobi and Kele. I know he's not everybodies cup of tea but I think Ideye would be perfect to play behind Ighalo.
I play Ideye myself, but behind Kele. He could be the real ace in the pack. We all know he is very talented, he is the type who can play out of his skin cos he has a point to prove.

Hmmm...I wouldn't say slow, but they are not as pacy as traditional Nigerian forward players. I think Ighalo did well and is still ahead of Kele who should strictly be a number 9 from now on.

Ideye is needed on that team as far as I'm concerned. Awoniyi, Osimhen, Martins, Ajayi and all the others are not as good as Brown ideye.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

airwolex wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Hmmm...I wouldn't say slow, but they are not as pacy as traditional Nigerian forward players. I think Ighalo did well and is still ahead of Kele who should strictly be a number 9 from now on.

Ideye is needed on that team as far as I'm concerned. Awoniyi, Osimhen, Martins, Ajayi and all the others are not as good as Brown ideye.
I like Ideye but he hasn't done much at his new club....
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.