'Zero Shots On Target' Is a Serious Discussion Point

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: 'Zero Shots On Target' Is a Serious Discussion Point

Post by danfo driver »

airwolex wrote:
Waffiman wrote:
airwolex wrote:Kele is fast turning into this one position kind of players. He is really only good as the top man and therefore should only be a direct replacement for Ighalo. I kninda knew we would struggle yesterday because of the lack of pace we had with Ighalo, Iwobi and Kele. I know he's not everybodies cup of tea but I think Ideye would be perfect to play behind Ighalo.
I play Ideye myself, but behind Kele. He could be the real ace in the pack. We all know he is very talented, he is the type who can play out of his skin cos he has a point to prove.

Kele and Iwobi are not slow.
Hmmm...I wouldn't say slow, but they are not as pacy as traditional Nigerian forward players. I think Ighalo did well and is still ahead of Kele who should strictly be a number 9 from now on.

Ideye is needed on that team as far as I'm concerned. Awoniyi, Osimhen, Martins, Ajayi and all the others are not as good as Brown ideye.
Ideye is NOT going to the world cup. There is nothing you can do about that.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

pajimoh wrote:
felarey wrote:We are sweet talking ourselves into ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a striking problem and that's the weakest link in the team at the moment. If Ighalo and Kelechi weren't being fed chances to score, they could have done their bit to take some pressure off the defence. Instead they played crap to put it bluntly. Ighalo made poor runs or didn't run at all on those wasted counter attacking opportunities. We could have played with 10 men to equal Kelechi's influence. We've beaten two good teams in friendlies but we need to keep our feet on the ground. At the WC, Aguero will not faint at half time and Lewandowski will stay on the pitch bleeding. We are sweet talking ourselves with the 6th ranked team talk. We didn't do well upfront yesterday, and didn't create much from open play. If we start counting setpieces and feel we did ok, then we need to start employing Big Sam and Tony Pulis tactics turning throw ins into corners and all.
We've always known we've not had a Yekini for a long time. That is not what this thread is about. No one is singing how prolific our strikers are/were.

We can't manufacture prolific strikers at this stage. We can only hope to discover one or two or a favorable pairing.

What this thread is about I having no shots on target in a game. Even with our goal shy strikers and as a team, is that the norm?
Not sure what you're saying, this is about shots on goal but not the guys playing closest to goal? Zero shots on target in a game is not a good thing, friendly or not.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

1naija wrote:
felarey wrote:We are sweet talking ourselves into ignoring the elephant in the room. We have a striking problem and that's the weakest link in the team at the moment. If Ighalo and Kelechi weren't being fed chances to score, they could have done their bit to take some pressure off the defence. Instead they played crap to put it bluntly. Ighalo made poor runs or didn't run at all on those wasted counter attacking opportunities. We could have played with 10 men to equal Kelechi's influence. We've beaten two good teams in friendlies but we need to keep our feet on the ground. At the WC, Aguero will not faint at half time and Lewandowski will stay on the pitch bleeding. We are sweet talking ourselves with the 6th ranked team talk. We didn't do well upfront yesterday, and didn't create much from open play. If we start counting setpieces and feel we did ok, then we need to start employing Big Sam and Tony Pulis tactics turning throw ins into corners and all.

And none of these could be because of what Poland was doing defensively right?
Could be, but even easier for them when our guys are not performing.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

felarey wrote:
1naija wrote:

And none of these could be because of what Poland was doing defensively right?
Could be, but even easier for them when our guys are not performing.
Our boys were performing and Poland's defense like Nigeria's defense..............played their hearts out.
Both team took no prisoners in this match, a real high intensity match.
Bein Tv is re-showing it for the 4th time NOW.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

felarey wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
We've always known we've not had a Yekini for a long time. That is not what this thread is about. No one is singing how prolific our strikers are/were.

We can't manufacture prolific strikers at this stage. We can only hope to discover one or two or a favorable pairing.

What this thread is about I having no shots on target in a game. Even with our goal shy strikers and as a team, is that the norm?
Not sure what you're saying, this is about shots on goal but not the guys playing closest to goal? Zero shots on target in a game is not a good thing, friendly or not.
Wait do you guys even know what "shot on target" means? Because 0 shot on target is not an abberation. It actually happens. :rotf:

Let me help you guys. Shot on target is a shot that either enters the goal, or would have entered the goal if it wasnt blocked. So, even a ball that hits the post or bar is NOT a shot on target. It has to be a shot inside the area of the bar/post.

"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

Why are people still talking about Ideye in 2018? Is he playing that well at Malaga?
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

niyi wrote:Why are people still talking about Ideye in 2018? Is he playing that well at Malaga?
Is Kele playing that well at Leicester? is Ighalo lighting it up in China? Or is it Junior Ajayi who was called up that is light years ahead of Ideye?

Why are we talking as if the SE is too good for Ideye? My point is that he offers something different.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

the zero shots was due to the rest of the team and not simply Ighalo.

the team play yesterday was crap.

Nobody making intelligent runs, nobody making accurate passes, and an inability to keep possession of the ball.

Moses, Onazi, and Musa were all guilty of killing counter attacking moves, it drove me nuts.

Moses was selfish and blasted the ball and Onazi and Musa were both brainless.

the midfield had no shape. We need to play 3 in the middle for sure especially against Croatia and Argentina.
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

vancity eagle wrote:the zero shots was due to the rest of the team and not simply Ighalo.

the team play yesterday was crap.

Nobody making intelligent runs, nobody making accurate passes, and an inability to keep possession of the ball.

Moses, Onazi, and Musa were all guilty of killing counter attacking moves, it drove me nuts.

Moses was selfish and blasted the ball and Onazi and Musa were both brainless.

the midfield had no shape. We need to play 3 in the middle for sure especially against Croatia and Argentina.
You never watched the match.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
niyi
Egg
Egg

Post by niyi »

airwolex wrote:
niyi wrote:Why are people still talking about Ideye in 2018? Is he playing that well at Malaga?
Is Kele playing that well at Leicester? is Ighalo lighting it up in China? Or is it Junior Ajayi who was called up that is light years ahead of Ideye?

Why are we talking as if the SE is too good for Ideye? My point is that he offers something different.
No. Ideye got kicked out of China and he's now shitting the bed in Spain. Kelechi is still settling in at Leicester but on his current form he's way ahead of Ideye.
Ona t'Olorun ngba soro
lati se ise re
ona re enikan ko mo
awamaridi ni!
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

niyi wrote:
airwolex wrote:

No. Ideye got kicked out of China and he's now shitting the bed in Spain. Kelechi is still settling in at Leicester but on his current form he's way ahead of Ideye.
:rotf: :rotf:

Be relaxed. their plan will not work. Even the sponsored article where they lied that he was called up for the March friendlies proved to be a lie. We are ready for them this year
chief nfachairman
Egg
Egg

Post by chief nfachairman »

ohenhen1 wrote:There is no problem. It was a friendly. The coach is most likely not showing everything to the prying eyes and he was experimenting. Our defense has improved that is a good sign.
This is the least smartest thing I've heard in 2018 including 2017sef
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

Zero shots on target is not same as zero shots on goal. We had a few shots on goal. Remember Kele could have hit the target under 2 mins with that snap shot. Also as someone stated the Poles had a solid back line and defensive midfield cover. It was a tight game, but our forward movement still has to improve. Mikel or no Mikel. It’s more about positioning and movement on and off the ball, especially when opponents are organised defensively. Plus we didn’t risk or weren’t comfortable with our fullbacks getting forward to stretch opposition. On two occasions Shehu wasted opportunities in first half. All the same, I realise our available target men are similar in that they are not DIRECT. Kele, Ighalo, even Ideye are not physically imposing and direct enough. If we can find one, we will need at least a striker with a more direct approach in the squad maybe at expense of one of our current (one dimensional) wide players
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
born2win
Egg
Egg

Post by born2win »

sadiq needs to be tested, check him out in this game against feyernord
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

felarey wrote:
pajimoh wrote:

It is not a good thing but it's also not a problem. It becomes a problem if it keeps happening. Every game is never going to go your way.

If they have 10 shots on target in the next game then what?
First and foremost is to win, ugly or pretty.

We are over flogging this lack of shots on target. It is not ideal but definitely not a problematical
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

The PK was on target :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

niyi wrote:
airwolex wrote:

If Kele is settling then Ideye too is settling...besides I never said anything about Ideye replacing Kele. Fact is non of our strikers are doing that well so there's nothing wrong in suggesting Ideye.
soccernut
Egg
Egg

Post by soccernut »

Inject Onyekuru (still has time to fully get fit for WC) and Nwakali into this squad, and this team will be a nightmare for most of your top teams this WC.
imehjunior
Egg
Egg

Post by imehjunior »

What I liked is we did something we never do, playing badly and winning.
"Nigeria's No.1 problem is that all the smart Nigerians and those who know the solutions to everything are hiding here on CE." 1naija
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

We still need to try out the likes of Onyekuru, Ajayi, and perhaps Sadiq Umar... we still have the friendly against England to make these corrections.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

soccernut wrote:Inject Onyekuru (still has time to fully get fit for WC) and Nwakali into this squad, and this team will be a nightmare for most of your top teams this WC.
How did Nwakali enter this discussion for God's sake? :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Tobi17 wrote:We still need to try out the likes of Onyekuru, Ajayi, and perhaps Sadiq Umar... we still have the friendly against England to make these corrections.
100% agree with all three suggestions.
But pls don't be upset when they call you 'agent!' :D
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Damunk wrote:
soccernut wrote:Inject Onyekuru (still has time to fully get fit for WC) and Nwakali into this squad, and this team will be a nightmare for most of your top teams this WC.
How did Nwakali enter this discussion for God's sake? :roll:
You dey ask kwesion like you no know hawa pipul? Abegi leave God out of this one o :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!