Ayo Akinfe - Old game Germany vs England 1972

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

asabe
Egg
Egg
Ayo Akinfe - Old game Germany vs England 1972

Post by asabe »

I stumbled and watched this old game and I already see the tactical sophistication of the German team. The English team of the time is as USELESS when it comes to tactics and tactical application as it is today.

One of the players that I saw growing up in the 80s was Paul Brietner (No 3 in this game) who later switched to full time Midfield General for Bayern and Germany. He is always picked in the alltime Germsn teams as as a full back (No. 3). I single him out in this game because of the way he plays this role, one minute he is in midfield directing play and sometimes he is a traditional fullback. The team adjust accordingly to accommodate this.

Ayo, give us the best tactical interpretation in this game and how it can be applied to Nigeria in the upcoming World cup.

[/video]
“love the life you live. live the life you love.” Bob Marley
Ayo Akinfe
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Ayo Akinfe - Old game Germany vs England 1972

Post by Ayo Akinfe »

You want me to watch the whole game? I must confess I do not remember that match but I agree with you that Germany are always tactically disciplined.

One thing I must give Rohr is that he has brought this to the Eagles. Our goalkeepers are no longer bombarded with shots, very few crosses come into our penalty area and our Eagles are very compact. Everything tends to be played in front of them, posing very little threat.

As per Breitner, I believe Ebuehi and Joel can play that role well. They are both mobile, good crossers of the ball, defensive astute and quick. That is why I would play them as their fullbacks.
asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

Ayo Akinfe wrote:You want me to watch the whole game? I must confess I do not remember that match but I agree with you that Germany are always tactically disciplined.

One thing I must give Rohr is that he has brought this to the Eagles. Our goalkeepers are no longer bombarded with shots, very few crosses come into our penalty area and our Eagles are very compact. Everything tends to be played in front of them, posing very little threat.

As per Breitner, I believe Ebuehi and Joel can play that role well. They are both mobile, good crossers of the ball, defensive astute and quick. That is why I would play them as their fullbacks.
I watched the whole game see the little tactical nuances and adjustments to make use of the individual talents on the field. That is something to be emulated.

As a Kenyan I remember our most successfully period was when we had a youth development under the German setup in the late seventies to the early 80s. The German model tailored to each individual country's characteristics will always bring results in the long run.
Gadfly
Egg
Egg

Post by Gadfly »

asabe wrote: One of the players that I saw growing up in the 80s was Paul Brietner (No 3 in this game) who later switched to full time Midfield General for Bayern and Germany. He is always picked in the alltime Germsn teams as as a full back (No. 3). I single him out in this game because of the way he plays this role, one minute he is in midfield directing play and sometimes he is a traditional fullback. The team adjust accordingly to accommodate this.
Isn't this where Pep got his idea for the inverted fullback?
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

Gadfly wrote:
asabe wrote: One of the players that I saw growing up in the 80s was Paul Brietner (No 3 in this game) who later switched to full time Midfield General for Bayern and Germany. He is always picked in the alltime Germsn teams as as a full back (No. 3). I single him out in this game because of the way he plays this role, one minute he is in midfield directing play and sometimes he is a traditional fullback. The team adjust accordingly to accommodate this.
Isn't this where Pep got his idea for the inverted fullback?
Interesting...watch Brietner the whole game and sometimes when attacking he is at right back, midfield, left back...all within the team structure.
asabe
Egg
Egg

Post by asabe »

Found this...Brietner giving advice to Brazilians on the evolution of football and adjustments the Germans have made..

[/video]
west33637
Egg
Egg

Post by west33637 »

asabe wrote:Found this...Brietner giving advice to Brazilians on the evolution of football and adjustments the Germans have made..

[/video]

Thanks for this post! This was very interesting to watch. To take a peek into the mentality of these great soccer nations. Soccer is a much deeper science than assumed by many.

His prediction came through too! Germany dominated and won the world cup in South America. To the letter too, as Germany not only beat, but embarrassed Brazil in the semi-final in Brazil.