Iheanach risks being Nigeria’s odd man out

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Iheanach risks being Nigeria’s odd man out

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Nacho does well when there's movement around him and the ball is moved around freely. I might be wrong but it seems that nacho rarely has a god game whenever Vic mo is playing and dominating the ball.
OCCUPY NFF!!
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

The YeyeMan wrote:
TheHitman47 wrote:I don't think Iheanacho should be left out of the squad but if we are going to start him we would need to create many more clear chances and stop playing him as anything other than center forward. We also have to understand a few other things:

- He won't hold up the ball.
- High Crossing won't be effective because he isn't that good in the air.
- He won't create chances from nothing.
- He won't pick up the ball if dispossessed.

His finishing and set piece delivery is top notch which makes it hard not to leave him out, but to start him we need to make sure that the midfielders are hustling to recycle the ball, The wingers are getting as close as they can and creating chances, and that we really develop our passing game and keep the ball on the ground. If we play hoofball Iheanacho will be useless. Our players did that both times when Mikel was out.
Nobody is suggesting Kelechi is left out so leave that one...

I agree with the rest of what you said bar his ability to fashion something out of nothing - he's capable of doing that for club and country.

Wrt set-pieces he's good at taking direct free-kicks at goal, but he should be in the penalty area when we have free kicks which are delivered into the penalty area. There was one occasion where he and Moses were standing over a free-kick and I thought Kelechi was simply wasted in that move as a player with his instincts would be better served in the box.
Was just about to mention this :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
soma
Egg
Egg

Post by soma »

9jaMan wrote:
niyi wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:Agree almost entirely except that I think he's good enough to earn a starting berth - but that has to be as a striker. And the team would need to play to his strengths in order for him to be effective in the role.
Agreed. He's too deadly with his striking to be ignored. He almost needs 1 shot a game to score or leave him free for a second and he creates a chance. He's also good at freekicks...

He's just inconsistent
Ighalo may have to hug the bench cos Kele is too talented to be a sub

Rohr should try this 11 vs Serbia
Ozoho
Ebuehi
Ekong
Balogun
Idowu
Ndidi
Joel obi
Mikel
Iwobi
Victor Moses
Iheanacho
Balogun, Ekong, Moses, and Ndidi need rest. Let’s try out others in the squad.

3. Thomas Sankara
4. Patrice Lumumba
5. Robert Mugabe
6. Murmar "the Lion" Ghaddafi....
wale1974
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wale1974 »

Yet people wonder why people like Iheanacho should be in a team where they can get regular playing time.

For a Ighalo, I think the level of the Chinese league is working against when it comes to playing against better players.
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Bob Marley
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Agree. Kele is better as a super-sub goal poacher coming off the bench ala Solskjaer or Hernandez.
TheHitman47 wrote:The deal with Iheanacho is that he isn't good enough to be a starter but has the quality to come off the bench. He is an out an out poacher. If we start him against any of the teams in the world cup we are sacrificing our midfield if he plays as a second striker. If we play him as the man up front, we sacrifice having someone who can hold up the ball or get at the end of crosses. What we do get is someone who if we have a lot of service or amp up the pressure can get at the end of big chances.

What we do lack is a genuine aerial threat for a striker and someone who can create chances from minimal service. I also think that both Moses and Iwobi need to work on their shooting and crossing. Moses balloons shots al the time and Iwobi has a very weak and predictable shot
Goldleaf
Egg
Egg

Post by Goldleaf »

The writer of that article was clear and right on Iheanacho's composure which is one of his major assets. When he came on against Senegal in Barnet and we were a goal down, he posed a real and dangerous threat to the opposition. All of a sudden, we could see a goal coming and when his chance came and he was put through on goal, his knowhow created the penalty situation which he scored with calmness.

When I look at Iheanacho, he reminds me, very much, of VicMo in his wilderness years, going through the motions at Chelsea (pre-Conte), West Ham and Stoke. At Wigan, VicMo's potential was glaring and it took a Conte to turn VicMo in a big impact player. Iheanacho badly needs a Conte because I don't think he knows his best position yet and how to employ himself to get his maximum output.