Set pieces

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

TheHitman47
Egg
Egg
Set pieces

Post by TheHitman47 »

I think we have players that can serve set pieces in our team and in all honesty if we want to grind out results it will be one of those ways to make that happen. Iwobi, Etebo, Simon, Nacho are all decent at serving dead balls. I just hope the Rohr is putting them through set piece drills.
john12
Egg
Egg
Re: Set pieces

Post by john12 »

The team should have a designated set piece taker. For me, it should be Iheanacho unfortunately, senior players keep taking the ball from him during set piece. Something they wouldn’t try at their club
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

john12 wrote:The team should have a designated set piece taker. For me, it should be Iheanacho unfortunately, senior players keep taking the ball from him during set piece. Something they wouldn’t try at their club
Moses Simon strikes the ball better than any other player
OCCUPY NFF!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

john12 wrote:The team should have a designated set piece taker. For me, it should be Iheanacho unfortunately, senior players keep taking the ball from him during set piece. Something they wouldn’t try at their club
When Mikel returns he may order the players that can do damage to take them,he was the captain against Argentina when Nacho scored that stunner!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

I was quite annoyed with the Ekong and Moses freekicks. Especially when Ekong stepped up and iheanacho was standing there
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Showboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Showboy »

Our set pieces are conventional. This will work if we have the likes of Messi (or JayJay) who can make the ball dip/bend/swerve etc. Yes I know Kelechi scored from something similar against the Argies but he will not be defined as a natural freekick expert.

We need to get creative. I implore you to look at Northern Islands set piece which led to the first goal in their friendly against South Korea over the weekend. We should have a multitude of these that we can use dependent on numbers in the wall, angle and distance etc from the opposition goal.
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope" (Martin Luther King, Jr)
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...so much for the family camaraderie in camp but not on the field.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

They should designate all these roles on time, one player for free kicks (my pick will be Iheanacho), Pk's can be given to VicMo.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

EKong's Fk was actually the right call, had he struck the ball well there was no way Fabianski was stopping it. The show was all power but wasn't hit right, he rushed it and ended up sending the ball to Russia.
OCCUPY NFF!!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Tobi17 wrote:They should designate all these roles on time, one player for free kicks (my pick will be Iheanacho), Pk's can be given to VicMo.
There are FKs that favor either foot and also we should have different routines to throw the opposition off. So it shouldn’t be so cut and dry with FKs, but PKs for sure. And the captain can overrule and decide the taker based on something he’s seen...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:EKong's Fk was actually the right call, had he struck the ball well there was no way Fabianski was stopping it. The show was all power but wasn't hit right, he rushed it and ended up sending the ball to Russia.
Has he previously demonstrated the acumen or ability to strike the ball well from FKs? Think he pulled rank as captain.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
bret- hart
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bret- hart »

Moses Simon and Ihenacho should be taking FKs
I AM THE EXCELLENCE OF EXECUTION- BRET THE "HITMAN" HART.

The Neo Nueves Hart foundation: R.Onyedika, M.Usor, Y.Sor, A.Adeleye, A.Okonkwo, N.Tella, A.Yusuf, E.Onyenezide, V.Lopez, O.Olusegun.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Tobi17 wrote:They should designate all these roles on time, one player for free kicks (my pick will be Iheanacho), Pk's can be given to VicMo.
Victor pks dey predictable
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

nemi2002 wrote:
how many PKs has he missed
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
greg
Egg
Egg

Post by greg »

nemi2002 wrote:
How many him don miss is the real question? Before he played it, I too predicted he will go low to the right of the goalie like he usually does. It looks like the rain will fall today, but what can I do to stop it from falling? :laugh:
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

greg wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:
How many him don miss is the real question? Before he played it, I too predicted he will go low to the right of the goalie like he usually does. It looks like the rain will fall today, but what can I do to stop it from falling? :laugh:
VicMo has kicked and scored six penalty kicks for Nigeria. All but one have been low to the right the goalie. He has never missed!
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Obong wrote:
greg wrote:
nemi2002 wrote:
VicMo has kicked and scored six penalty kicks for Nigeria. All but one have been low to the right the goalie. He has never missed!
He waits to see where the goalie starts moving to then picks the other side, but a good goalie will get him by faking his move to one side. Even Messi stopped playing his pks like that.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Set pieces!

First thing to cross my mind was defending set pieces!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Looking at the Polish goal that was disallowed, the player that caused Uzoho problems (though he didn't touch the ball) was COMPLETELY unmarked. They just forgot (or lost concentration) to mark him. He stood around the 6 yard box waiting for the freekick to be taken and nobody picked him up. They picked up other players but they just forgot him. He leaped with Uzoho and confused him...hence the flap.

Its likely Uzoho's fault for not directing his team to pick him out....But Balogun or Ekong should have stepped in to direct in the absence of leadership from Uzoho.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
zee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by zee »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:EKong's Fk was actually the right call, had he struck the ball well there was no way Fabianski was stopping it. The show was all power but wasn't hit right, he rushed it and ended up sending the ball to Russia.
BS....the FK was rubbish.
"Today we remember Nigeria and Africa football legend, Late Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi who passed on, on june 7th 2016. Thank you for the memories ‘The Big Boss.’ We can never forget you"............Kanu Nwankwo
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

zee wrote:
Simple.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

I agree with you - bros. I think they should allow the best to take, or be taking the free kicks. For the good of everyone, coach Rohr should resolve this issue quickly
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

The YeyeMan wrote:
zee wrote:
Simple.
That particular FK was no good but u can tell he has the power from long range but needed to strike the ball properly. At such a distance it's all about striking the ball in the right place to get the right path. Less than 5% of Fks taken from that distance will end up in the net anyway.
OCCUPY NFF!!