I question Gernot Rohr's competence

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

donadoni
Egg
Egg
Re: I AM SORRY BUT I HAVE TO SAY IT

Post by donadoni »

The team has delivered in the matches that count and they will do it again. No need to panic
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

donadoni wrote:The team has delivered in the matches that count and they will do it again. No need to panic

So you think we go play Cameroon and Zambia at the WC ?

We are in the group of death, and we cannot do the fundamentals. How will you deliver when you cannot pass the ball or keep simple possession or even craft half chances on goal.

Every crossed ball into our box is a high possibility of a goal.

The writing is on the wall. I am seeing it clearly.
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Friendlies are different from World Cup games. Any serious student of the game knows this. Contrast our previous WC preparations and friendlies with the actual WC games. Who would have predicted that we beat spain 3-2 in 1998 and top the group. Rohr will get what he needed from this game and move on. This team qualified with less stress than any before them and they have better preparation than any before them. The final result will only be seen come the WC. The team needs our support and constructive input but no need for premature panicking at this stage.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I don't think that folks in these parts understand the purpose of friendlies, nor do they fully understand our team. In my view Rohr and his coaching staff have accomplished quite a bit over these two games. The only real concern has been our set piece defending - which will need a lot of work heading into the Mundial.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

mystic wrote:I don't think that folks in these parts understand the purpose of friendlies, nor do they fully understand our team. In my view Rohr and his coaching staff have accomplished quite a bit over these two games. The only real concern has been our set piece defending - which will need a lot of work heading into the Mundial.
so the purpose of friendlies is to play 90 minutes without being able to pass the ball, keep possession, or CREATE A SINGLE CHANCE ON GOAL.

IS THAT THE PURPOSE OF FRIENDLIES ?

Keep deluding yourself.

Like I said I wouldn't even care if we lost 4-0 yet we played well and created chances. What do we look at after these matches to build on ? Running around aimlessly ?
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

These fans are poor, fickle and feckless. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

mystic wrote:I don't think that folks in these parts understand the purpose of friendlies, nor do they fully understand our team. In my view Rohr and his coaching staff have accomplished quite a bit over these two games. The only real concern has been our set piece defending - which will need a lot of work heading into the Mundial.
Spot on. I love reading sense and sensibility.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote:
so the purpose of friendlies is to play 90 minutes without being able to pass the ball, keep possession, or CREATE A SINGLE CHANCE ON GOAL.

Keep deluding yourself.

Like I said I wouldn't even care if we lost 4-0 yet we played well and created chances. What do we look at after these matches to build on ? Running around aimlessly ?

Every thing that the team is working on now will pay off in June. Rohr will not show his hand until the lights are on. My only real concern is our dead ball defending. If we don't improve in this area, it will be our undoing at the World Cup.

Also, in terms of personnel, our team is just about set. Would love to have a 3rd striker and a 5th Centreback (in case of injury). It will be very important for our players to stay healthy between now and June.
Rawlings
Egg
Egg

Post by Rawlings »

donadoni wrote:Friendlies are different from World Cup games. Any serious student of the game knows this. Contrast our previous WC preparations and friendlies with the actual WC games. Who would have predicted that we beat spain 3-2 in 1998 and top the group. Rohr will get what he needed from this game and move on. This team qualified with less stress than any before them and they have better preparation than any before them. The final result will only be seen come the WC. The team needs our support and constructive input but no need for premature panicking at this stage.
1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998 1998
How long ago was that?

what happened in 2002, 2006, 2010, 2014?
Nwabali -- Aina, Bassey, TroostEkong, Sanusi --- Chukwueze, Aribo, Ndidi, Iwobi --- Osimhem, Sadiq Umar
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

VE you love to overreact
Fans like you do not help matters
Sorry i have to say it
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The team IS NOT GARBAGE, when I see a garbage team I'll call it without mincing words or feelings. The problem is partly Rohrs tactical rigidity(unwillingness to try out new ideas, just so predictable that every team in our group pretty much know us intoto), and secondly the lack of a PLAYMAKER who can intelligently pick out those brilliant passes, see how Tadic orchestrated those brilliant moves for Serbia that led to their goals? we didn't have such player in that team... Rohr should know by now that the likes of Ndidi, Onazi, Ogu, Joel are only ball winners, between them their passing abilities are subpar! Without Mikel we are FU. CKED, in attack we cant continue with the Ighalo as target man upfront alone, the hold up play philosophy is just outdated! We need intelligent strikers that can make the right runs and know how to actually score even in tight situations... We have to access the likes of Sadiq, Awoniyi, Onyekuru, and any of the English born Naija boys that might consider playing for us(man I wish we had a player like Lookman)... if the likes of Jordan Ibe are interested in playing for us, I say we cap them as they add more interesting options in our attack.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

I hesitate to be as strong with my expression as VE. However, I agree there was nothing from our boys yesterday to boost my confidence. I’m left only with hope that people like Oloye are right, and that the boys were somehow soft pedalling because it was a mere friendly. Otherwise, things could get pretty ugly in June.
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Waffiman wrote:These fans are poor, fickle and feckless. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Ol boy I tire. And it is the ones who never go to the stadium to support the team that moan like this. As we left the stadium on a cold Tuesday night in Barnet the consensus was that we were poor but that we can, and will, play better.
waka-man
Egg
Egg

Post by waka-man »

Oh dear.
Must be nearly tournament time. VanCity is gettting restless. And trying to mask his growing anxiety and butterfly with words of wisdom and quasi-analytics.
We’ve seen it all before.
So let’s get some context here.
Over two games, Rohr has experimented with two formations with varied results. And I suspect he’s made some decisions with the benefit of having given some ideas all the time he needed to prove or disprove them:
- He doesn’t have the personel to play a single defensive midfielder with two pressing CMs. Even with Mikel in the fray, he neither has the displined shielder nor the pressers capable of retaining possession. Expect Ndidi to play alongside Onazi or Joel behind Mikel in a more advanced role.
- Etebo remains Mikel’s only credible understudy. All other experiments failed
- Awaziem is a good defender, but Balogun’s understanding with Ekong makes them the starters.
- Brian Idowu cemented his place as our starting left back. We didn’t know that before these friendlies.
- To get the most of Iwobi, Moses and even Mikel and Simon, we have no choice but to play Ighalo. Sure he should score more. Sure he should be calmer in front of goal. But He bullies defences, holds up play and draws fouls in dangerous areas. For the strengths of this team, Iheanacho and Musa as the attacking apex don’t work. But it was worth the try.

Of course this all remains a work in progress and I’d still say, at this point, we’re not favourites to qualify out of a very tough group. It might indeed be three and out.

But it’s lily-livered to get all her up right now. Still I expect it. Happens every tournament.

So calm down girls.
-------------------------------------------
MY NAME IS WAKA-MAN, and YES, I AM A CHELSEA FAN. Please don't hate me - I was fan when David Ellery dashed Cantona two penalties as Man U beat us 4-0 in the FA Cup final. So I've paid my dues.
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

So I ask this question again. :D Is this team better than Keshi's 2014 set?
vancity eagle wrote:THIS TEAM IS PISS POOR, AND I MEAN PISSS POOOR.

We cannot use Mikel's absence as an excuse, for 2 matches straight we cannot even get the basics and fundamentals of football right

For 2 straight matches this team cannot even keep simple possession, cannot pass the ball to team mates, cannot create even ONE GOOD CHANCE IN 2 ENTIRE MATCHES.

I mean what on earth have these guys been doing in practice.

For all you clowns who said we played well against Poland, what a bunch of nonsense. We were absolute shi% against Poland and we were complete garbage against Serbia.

Since when did teams like Poland and Serbia whose teams, half of the players are 30 years old, dictate the pace of the match, and show more hunger and will to get to the ball.

Since when did second rate European teams like this make us look like complete garbage.

Rohr must shoulder the blame. This is not about personnel, not entirely. The team has absolutely no cohesion in attack, the players do not make runs and all the players, I mean ALL THE PLAYERS, do not know how to pass the ball.

I have never seen us play so poor as we did today since the days of Keshi losing to the likes of Sudan and Congo, what a useless team.

I am sorry but it must be said, I never sugar coat anything, I call it as I see it, and this team is garbage.

The likes of Iceland must be salivating at the prospects of whipping in cross after cross, and set piece after set piece against our defence which is USELESS AGAINST SET PIECES.

Victor Moses a complete disgrace, just jogging around lazily and taking pot shots. The only thing he did in these 2 friendlies was to DIVE

Alex Iwobi has been disappointing for a long time, cannot pass and is more interested in circus acts like his uncle

Ahmed Musa a complete wastepipe of a footballer, he should stick to track and field team so he can sprint around all he likes. It is a disgrace that Rohr continues to ignore other players and protect his pet, an absolute FRAUD

Joel Obi too was quite poor with his passing, but he has been a refreshment in midfield with his energy

Ndidi has been crap these past 2 games I am sorry. Misplaced passes all over the place and looked off pace

Onazi is complete garbage, the guy is now slow and totally off pace and needs to lose weight. No way is this guy a starter, he is behind Joel, Ndidi, and Etebo, If he is not careful even John Ogu will be ahead of him. Is Onazi finished ?

Ebuehi as far as I am concerned is much better than Abdullahi, much better defensively he started out great but got a little shaky in the second half

Ighalo is our best striker by far. Did anyone not notice how as crappy as we were we played better once he came on. I don't think people appreciate the work he puts in and how he harasses opposing defenders, and how his hold up play is one of our only forms of attack at the moment. It is not Ighalo's fault if the entire team cannot string together passes and if he cannot get any service.

Idowu is certainly better than Echiejele but why has Aina not been given a chance.

Uzoho is going to improve I'm glad he played both matches but he is still shaky on setpieces, but our team as a whole IS GARBAGE AT SET PIECES.

Balogun and Troost are by far our best defenders.

Awaziem I don't think he is ready. Our 2 losses under Rohr was when he played the whole match in defence. It seems he always loses the man he is marking, it happened against both South Africa and twice against Serbia today. Is he really better than Omeruo, he has been a disaster as far as I am concerned, in fact it is not innacurate to say we lost both games under Rohr, SPECIFICALLY BECAUSE OF AWAZIEM.

At this rate this team is going 3 and out at the World Cup. I cannot see us beating any of the teams in our group, and at this rate we may lose 3 straight.

We should have lost against Poland, they completely outplayed us, and so did Serbia.

I AM GLAD WE LOST TODAY, WE DESERVED TO LOSE, WE WERE CRAP, AND I WAS ACTIVELY ROOTING FOR SERBIA FROM THE 60 MINUTE MARK. That is how disgusted I was with our team today. The term "piss poor" does not do justice to describe how bad we played.

The fact that Rohr has not done anything to rectify this, and has continued to parade junk players like Musa when there are plenty of others who could be looked at I am disgusted.

Also Ayo akinfe may be right, maybe we do need to look at a play maker because we cannot go into the World cup with this kind of garbage play. Such rubbish. I am so mad right now.

Not even because we lost. I wouldn't even care if we lost both matches this week and played well and showed promise.

BUT THERE WAS NOTHING TO BE EXCITED ABOUT, NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Yes I await all the clueless dummy's who are blinded with bias and stupidity to come and attack me. This our team is shyte.
Staff Sgt Cota VI
Egg
Egg

Post by Staff Sgt Cota VI »

Calm down folks; this is just a friendly game and certainly isn't a reflection of what to expect at the World Cup. What do you say about England who seem to perform creditably well in friendlies, yet fail to perform at the Big Dance?

What I observed during the course of the two friendlies was a case of, the assured and the un-assured. The former consists of the likes of Iwobi, Ighalo, Ndidi, Martins etc who recognize that irrespective of performance they would certainly be on the plane to Russia, while the latter group led by Joel Obi were hell bent on impressing, as their position on the team remains shaky. It's expected that the blend of both groups would ultimately churn out a disjointed performance -- so no surprises here. Note that one month's training camp would help fine tune the perceived rough edges, as by then the focus would be on bonding, cohesion and consistency. Note that with the likes of Balogun, Ekong, Mikel, Nididi and yes OBI our defensive core is in place, and have all performed creditably well. The challenge is how to get our attackers to work as a cohesive unit, and that would certainly come with more practice time.

On a final note, we need to find a way to get Enyeama back into the this team, as the WC isn't the stage to test a rookie Goal Keeper. I also reckon that we need one or two jokers in the mould of Martins in the team and/or perhaps Osaze -- both individuals in my opinion could help stabilize our attack as it's clear that what's lacking is a an attacker with a FOOTBALL BRAIN! It's unfortunate that Ihenacho sees himself as a big man, if not he ceratainly has what it takes to stabilize our attack.
Zelex
Egg
Egg

Post by Zelex »

Not too long ago you were saying the SE were the best team in Africa, now they are a piss poor team? :lol:

I was at the match live and there was hardly any difference in our performance vs Serbia and Poland. Only difference was we managed to ride our luck (which Rohr admitted) against Poland. Why didn't you create this thread then?

I'm personally not too worried, the issue I have is the defense (particularly communication between CB's and FB's) doesn't seem solid enough to successfully play the tactics Rohr wants against a high level of opposition on a consistent basis. I also feel technically we are lacking, we could definitely do better with some of the half-chances created.
Zelex-CE World Cup 2010 prediction Winner
http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=177767
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

aruako1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:These fans are poor, fickle and feckless. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Ol boy I tire. And it is the ones who never go to the stadium to support the team that moan like this. As we left the stadium on a cold Tuesday night in Barnet the consensus was that we were poor but that we can, and will, play better.
Spot on. It was a friendly, the good thing is it brought back down to earth after Poland. We know we can do better, and we will do better.
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Waffiman wrote:
aruako1 wrote:
Spot on. It was a friendly, the good thing is it brought back down to earth after Poland. We know we can do better, and we will do better.
Waffiman, I want to be as optimistic as you folk; but VE makes a lot of fair points...
Nothing about the 2 friendlies suggest our midfield (for e.g) shall suddenly begin to create in June; the entire personnel (Ndidi, Onazi, etc) have historical limited passing efficiency...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
marko
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by marko »

in the same context, Argentina must be naive like Zaire, yes they were piss poor yesterday, they could not string 2 passes together, but they beat Argentina which means they are a decent side, hope it was just a night off
So angry Nigeria got kicked out of the world cup once again, i nearly told my wife that i caught my girlfriend with another man today!

Marko
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Keep deluding yourself.

Every thing that the team is working on now will pay off in June. Rohr will not show his hand until the lights are on. My only real concern is our dead ball defending. If we don't improve in this area, it will be our undoing at the World Cup.

Also, in terms of personnel, our team is just about set. Would love to have a 3rd striker and a 5th Centreback (in case of injury). It will be very important for our players to stay healthy between now and June.

May I ask why that is your only real concern? There are several issues with the team (some highlighted in VE's post above) that are equally concerning. Simple off the ball movements and making themselves available for passes, MULTIPLE miss hit passes are unforgivable at this stage and this close to the world cup for a team (the core of which) has been playing together for almost 2 years now.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
donadoni
Egg
Egg

Post by donadoni »

Come June Naija will top the group of death - you can bookmark this now :)