Joel Obi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet
Joel Obi

Post by smartbrother »

so ...why did we just waste 2 friendlies on this guy.
i mean.i'm lost for words
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

smartbrother wrote:so ...why did we just waste 2 friendlies on this guy.
Nathan oduwa is better :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

The starting midfield trio for WC should be Mikel, Ndidi and Joel obi, anyone thinking otherwise knows nothing about football. Simple and plain
BigMuze
Egg
Egg

Post by BigMuze »

Onazi’s form is really poor sha. And I like the guy o.
"Everyone, and particularly every true beliver, should decide which is more important to them. But as for me, I choose eternity over lifetime".
Godfather
Egg
Egg

Post by Godfather »

You just opened a thread for this? Yes o, he caused the 2 goals.
“Achebe was a writer in whose company the Prison walls fell down.” – Dr. Nelson Mandela.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

If Joel that plays in SERIA A and was labeled a good player prior to this match can have such an horrible Performance then sorry I don’t want anymore unknown players. After World Cup, newer guys can be integrated
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

john12 wrote:If Joel that plays in SERIA A and was labeled a good player prior to this match can have such an horrible Performance then sorry I don’t want anymore unknown players. After World Cup, newer guys can be integrated
He's only an unknown player if you've been following Nigerian football for five minutes.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Komani
Egg
Egg

Post by Komani »

Still a better CM option than Onazi. I was very disappointed with his performance today no lie
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Again, it is not a waste.

They are still trying to find how he will fit into the team.

They have tried him in multiple positions within that midfield. Even tried him as an attacking midfielder.
For some reason, I think Rohr gave him extensive playing time in order to reach a conclusion about him.
He is not anywhere as good as other players that Rohr has used. So all those within the NFF that pressured Rohr to give him a look in can now rest.

Had he not been played folks will be opening threads upandan about Joel Obi being the missing link.

Ayo might be right that he might be a better LB than a midfielder. Because based on these two games, I will not lose ANY sleep if he is like me, watching the Eagles on TV at the World Cup.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

BTW, I will take Azubuike Okechukwu over Joel Obi. He has the engine that Etebo has. Better passer than Joel, Ndidi and Onazi. And will remain disciplined in holding his position. A good a tackler as Ndidi...

Yes, he is my client.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Cellular wrote:BTW, I will take Azubuike Okechukwu over Joel Obi. He has the engine that Etebo has. Better passer than Joel, Ndidi and Onazi. And will remain disciplined in holding his position. A good a tackler as Ndidi...

Yes, he is my client.
Were you saying this before the Poland game and in its aftermath?

What's his form been like this season?
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cellular »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote:BTW, I will take Azubuike Okechukwu over Joel Obi. He has the engine that Etebo has. Better passer than Joel, Ndidi and Onazi. And will remain disciplined in holding his position. A good a tackler as Ndidi...

Yes, he is my client.

Always been a fan of Azubuike Okechukwu especially after the Olympics.

Was indifferent regarding Joel... nothing he did during the two friendlies endeared him to me. He is a JAG (Just Another Guy).
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Cellular wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Yes, he is my client.

Was indifferent regarding Joel... nothing he did during the two friendlies endeared him to me. He is a JAG (Just Another Guy).
Kpom.. I have always even a Azubuike fan, even under Siasia he was very solid in that midfield the few times he played. Unfortunately Rohr might not give him the much needed opportunity, but we still have time to try out more players.
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Cellular wrote:
Again, it is not a waste.

They are still trying to find how he will fit into the team.

They have tried him in multiple positions within that midfield. Even tried him as an attacking midfielder.
For some reason, I think Rohr gave him extensive playing time in order to reach a conclusion about him.
He is not anywhere as good as other players that Rohr has used. So all those within the NFF that pressured Rohr to give him a look in can now rest.

Had he not been played folks will be opening threads upandan about Joel Obi being the missing link.

Ayo might be right that he might be a better LB than a midfielder. Because based on these two games, I will not lose ANY sleep if he is like me, watching the Eagles on TV at the World Cup.
Chief my conclusion so far on Joel is that he is 50/50. He had a good game against poland and then an overall poor game today. Even then he had spells that were good between 25 - 40 minutes BUT that 10 role he was playing today was not it. He went off and Iwobi moved and roamed into the center and quickly imposed a no 10 like influence on the game (albeit overdoing things a bit).

Decisions: When making a decision, it's often beneficial to qualify the decision as an absolute or comparative. This is a comparative decision based on the 50/50. Joel did not play well today (yes) BUT did he play better than Onazi and Ogu over the past two games ??? in my opinion the answer is yes. I don't think Onazi has played great at all, neither as Ogu ever shined. I think comparatively, he is the best of the three. This is my honest opinion.

I also think you're right that Rohr gave him extended playing time and played him in a couple of MF positions to reach a conclusion. My gut tells me at best a conclusion has yet to be reached with him but it is no more depended on his peformance. I think Rohr will now give a couple of others the chance to outplay him or not. Perhaps more time for Ogu, Agu will not (i've watched him a lot)
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Cellular wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

Yes, he is my client.

Azubuike Okechukwu
Nigerian soccer player
Azubuike Godson Okechukwu is a Nigerian professional footballer who plays for Turkish club Yeni Malatyaspor, as a midfielder. Wikipedia
Born: April 19, 1997 (age 20), Katsina, Nigeria
Height: 5′ 7″
Weight: 154 lbs

Please enough midgets on the team.
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Joel Obi is not an attacking midfielder. He is CM with a slight attacking bent.

Onazi: CM with defensive bent (plays defensive mid for us)
Ndidi: CM with defensive bent (plays pure CM for us)
Mikel: Attacking Midfielder

After watching him for 2 games, there is just no spot for Joel Obi as a starter. He’s fairly unremarkable, and not a better defensive mid than Onazi and certainly nowhere close to Ndidi. Replacing Mikel with him is out of the question.

It doesn’t work. He should be on the bench....we use as needed. If we have an injury or a suspension, he can fill in...but right now, I wouldn’t even put him above Ogu in the pecking order. Ogu gives us something different...slows down the game and finds the open man. Obi doesn’t do that...all he gives us is energy....which we already get from Onazi and Ndidi.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

deanotito wrote:Joel Obi is not an attacking midfielder. He is CM with a slight attacking bent.

After watching him for 2 games, there is just no spot for Joel Obi as a starter. He’s fairly unremarkable, and not a better defensive mid than Onazi and certainly nowhere close to Ndidi. Replacing Mikel with him is out of the question.

It doesn’t work. He should be on the bench....we use as needed. If we have an injury or a suspension, he can fill in...but right now, I wouldn’t even put him above Ogu in the pecking order. Ogu gives us something different...slows down the game and finds the open man. Obi doesn’t do that...all he gives us is energy....which we already get from Onazi and Ndidi.
He was finding Serbian players last night....
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The YeyeMan wrote:
deanotito wrote:Joel Obi is not an attacking midfielder. He is CM with a slight attacking bent.

But were they ‘open’? :D
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

I thought that Joel Obi had a good first half, but disappeared in the 2nd half.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

i could have told you all that for free. (In fact i fairly surei did)
and saved us from wasting two friendly matches on this chap

normally we shouldnt criticise the coach because the in principle the coach knows best.
But actually the coach doesn't always know best . Somethings ordinary fans can see things the coach cannot see e.g
- Need for a target man. Many fans see this but Rohr doesnt seem to see this
- Need for a holding midfielder. fans see this but Rohr doesnt seem to see this
- Key man risk around mikel. No Mikel, No team. Rohr does not seem to know this.

If he did, he would have used these friendlies to find solutions to these problems
instead of wasting them "looking for a place in the team" for mediocre player like Joel Obi
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Gotti wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

But were they ‘open’? :D
:lol:
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

The whole team sucked so why single out Joel Obi? John Ogu was so slow, he could not close down the Serbian for the 2nd goal.
I am happy
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

The YeyeMan wrote:
john12 wrote:If Joel that plays in SERIA A and was labeled a good player prior to this match can have such an horrible Performance then sorry I don’t want anymore unknown players. After World Cup, newer guys can be integrated
He's only an unknown player if you've been following Nigerian football for five minutes.
That’s why I find it hard to take these beer bellies seriously,when you understand the game and you try to explain to these clowns you’re actually damaging your health.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI