Joel Obi

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Lolly
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Joel Obi

Post by Lolly »

At least the coach has given Joel an opportunity to show us what he can do. I was never in favour of his call up based on what I have seen playing for Torino this season. His injuries over the years have obviously affected him.

Rohr has a decision to make on which other midfielders he settles for after Mikel, Ndidi and Onazi. These 3 are the best fit for now.
"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life"

"If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

You guys vascillate so much it's laughable. After the Poland friendly, it was "Joel must start!" and Onazi was a bum. Now you can't wait to get rid of Joel. Why don't you all relax and let Rohr do his job if you don't know what you're talking about.

The reality is that Mikel, Onazi and Ndidi are our starters, and barring injury that will not change. We will take 5 or 6 central midfielders to the World Cup. Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi and Etebo are locks. Joel, Ogu, and Ndubuisi Agu are battling for the final 1 or 2 roster spots.

As for Joel Obi's performance over these two games, I think that the most important thing is that he logged significant minutes in both games without pulling up lame. And his play has been more than enough to be favoured to make the final roster. The key for him is to stay injury free.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

mystic wrote:You guys vascillate so much it's laughable. After the Poland friendly, it was "Joel must start!" and Onazi was a bum. Now you can't wait to get rid of Joel. Why don't you all relax and let Rohr do his job if you don't know what you're talking about.

The reality is that Mikel, Onazi and Ndidi are our starters, and barring injury that will not change. We will take 5 or 6 central midfielders to the World Cup. Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi and Etebo are locks. Joel, Ogu, and Ndubuisi Agu are battling for the final 1 or 2 roster spots.

As for Joel Obi's performance over these two games, I think that the most important thing is that he logged significant minutes in both games without pulling up lame. And his play has been more than enough to be favoured to make the final roster. The key for him is to stay injury free.
How can you even compare the 2014 team to this one? A team that had the likes of Reuben Gabriel, Efe Ambrose, Babatunde, Oshaniwa can never be as talented as these present crop of players, the problem isn't the players but the coaching... if Rohr can switch up his tactics no team in Nigerian history will touch this one.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

mystic wrote:You guys vascillate so much it's laughable. After the Poland friendly, it was "Joel must start!" and Onazi was a bum. Now you can't wait to get rid of Joel. Why don't you all relax and let Rohr do his job if you don't know what you're talking about.

We definitely need to lool at more players in that midfield... Ajagun, Nwakali, or any of the hidden gems we can afford to unearth... Bro we badly need playmakers, it's actually an emergency situation right now.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Eaglezbeak wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
john12 wrote:If Joel that plays in SERIA A and was labeled a good player prior to this match can have such an horrible Performance then sorry I don’t want anymore unknown players. After World Cup, newer guys can be integrated
He's only an unknown player if you've been following Nigerian football for five minutes.
That’s why I find it hard to take these beer bellies seriously,when you understand the game and you try to explain to these clowns you’re actually damaging your health.
:lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Tobi17 wrote:

How can you even compare the 2014 team to this one? A team that had the likes of Reuben Gabriel, Efe Ambrose, Babatunde, Oshaniwa can never be as talented as these present crop of players, the problem isn't the players but the coaching... if Rohr can switch up his tactics no team in Nigerian history will touch this one.
He didn't even mention 2014! CE! :lol: :lol:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Tobi17 wrote:

He didn't even mention 2014! CE! :lol: :lol:
wrong thread, post was intended for one of the comments on VE's thread.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Komani wrote:Still a better CM option than Onazi. I was very disappointed with his performance today no lie

All the players SUCKED. So I don't know why anybody should be singled out.

Onazi is clearly out of shape. Joel is far better atm.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Cellular wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote:BTW, I will take Azubuike Okechukwu over Joel Obi. He has the engine that Etebo has. Better passer than Joel, Ndidi and Onazi. And will remain disciplined in holding his position. A good a tackler as Ndidi...

Yes, he is my client.
Were you saying this before the Poland game and in its aftermath?

What's his form been like this season?
Always been a fan of Azubuike Okechukwu especially after the Olympics.

Was indifferent regarding Joel... nothing he did during the two friendlies endeared him to me. He is a JAG (Just Another Guy).

He has proven that he is currently far better than Onazi and yet you will lose no sleep if he doesn't go to Russia.

YOu can't be serious.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

vancity eagle wrote:
Cellular wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:
Cellular wrote:BTW, I will take Azubuike Okechukwu over Joel Obi. He has the engine that Etebo has. Better passer than Joel, Ndidi and Onazi. And will remain disciplined in holding his position. A good a tackler as Ndidi...

Yes, he is my client.
Were you saying this before the Poland game and in its aftermath?

What's his form been like this season?
Always been a fan of Azubuike Okechukwu especially after the Olympics.

Was indifferent regarding Joel... nothing he did during the two friendlies endeared him to me. He is a JAG (Just Another Guy).

He has proven that he is currently far better than Onazi and yet you will lose no sleep if he doesn't go to Russia.

YOu can't be serious.
Onazi needs to sit up and lose some weight before the world cup, don't know what happened to him but he doesn't look like the same guy from qualifying.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

VE so list the players you will pick for the world cup.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

Tobi17 wrote:

We definitely need to lool at more players in that midfield... Ajagun, Nwakali, or any of the hidden gems we can afford to unearth... Bro we badly need playmakers, it's actually an emergency situation right now.

No. It is not. Ajagun isn't an upgrade over the current options on the team and Nwakali isn't ready (would love to see him on the provisional list though because I'd like to see 2 or 3 of the 35 slots taken up by youngsters for the future).

We will be fine at the World Cup. Iwobi and Etebo are Mikel's backups. And Ihenacho is the 3rd option if we're in dire straits.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

people are talking straight rubbish on this thread.

How can fat eba belly Onazi be a starter in Russia in this current state ?

Do you wish us to go home early.

The guy's reactions are so slow and his passing is one of the worst. He has lost all the energy that made him unbenchable in the first place. Currently this is the order of our MF's after Mikel

1. Ndidi
2. Etebo
3. Joel Obi
4. Onazi
5. John Ogu
6. Mikel Agu

I don't know why people are not giving Etebo his due. The guy I have seen on multiple occasions play for Las Palmas is far better than all these pretenders. He can run for 90 minutes, is faster than all these players, can shoot, can drive forwards, and can actually pass the ball accurately.

We could definitely have used Etebo in these 2 matches.

Etebo is the truth. Onazi needs to call Jenny Craig and wake the ef up, and also get playing time for his mediocre Turkish club.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Tobi17 wrote:VE so list the players you will pick for the world cup.

the following 6 midfielders

Mikel
Ndidi
Etebo
Joel Obi
Onazi
John Ogu

however I would like to try out Azuibikwe during the pre camp and see if he can displace anybody
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote:people are talking straight rubbish on this thread.

The guy's reactions are so slow and his passing is one of the worst. He has lost all the energy that made him unbenchable in the first place. Currently this is the order of our MF's after Mikel

1. Ndidi
2. Etebo
3. Joel Obi
4. Onazi
5. John Ogu
6. Mikel Agu

I don't know why people are not giving Etebo his due. The guy I have seen on multiple occasions play for Las Palmas is far better than all these pretenders. He can run for 90 minutes, is faster than all these players, can shoot, can drive forwards, and can actually pass the ball accurately.

Etebo is the truth. Onazi needs to call Jenny Craig and wake the ef up, and also get playing time for his mediocre Turkish club.

You clearly have no clue as to how Rohr sets up his team. Ndidi and Onazi will protect the back four. Between the two of them, Onazi is the DM. Ndidi is the CM. If Onazi was the CM, then you'd have a point because Joel is superior to Onazi in this position. But as a DM Onazi starts. This is why Etebo went to the bench when Ndidi came into the starting lineup.

Also, it will be foolhardy to start an injury prone Joel Obi as he could cost you a valuable sub if he starts and gets one of his infamous muscle strains. His minutes have to be managed, just as it's done at his clubside. And bringing him off the bench is the best way to do that. I'd only consider starting him in the knockout rounds.

Personally, I would take 5 central midfielders - knowing that Shehu Abdullahi can always fill in as a CM/DM and Alex Iwobi can play AM. At this point my 5 would be Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, Etebo and Joel.
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

Jeol Obi will bench Onazi except...
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

vancity eagle wrote:
Komani wrote:Still a better CM option than Onazi. I was very disappointed with his performance today no lie

All the players SUCKED. So I don't know why anybody should be singled out.

Onazi is clearly out of shape. Joel is far better atm.
I was not singling him out
I am questioning the use of these friendlies to “find a place “ for a player that was mediocre to begin with
When we have more pressing concerns in the holding midfield and centre forward positions
We also further destabilised our goalkeeping situation with the whole uzoho experiment

Onazi wasn’t great but was played out of position in that anchor man role
He is a central midfielder not an anchorman
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:people are talking straight rubbish on this thread.

1. Ndidi
2. Etebo
3. Joel Obi
4. Onazi
5. John Ogu
6. Mikel Agu

You clearly have no clue as to how Rohr sets up his team. Ndidi and Onazi will protect the back four. Between the two of them, Onazi is the DM. Ndidi is the CM. If Onazi was the CM, then you'd have a point because Joel is superior to Onazi in this position. But as a DM Onazi starts. This is why Etebo went to the bench when Ndidi came into the starting lineup.

Also, it will be foolhardy to start an injury prone Joel Obi as he could cost you a valuable sub if he starts and gets one of his infamous muscle strains. His minutes have to be managed, just as it's done at his clubside. And bringing him off the bench is the best way to do that. I'd only consider starting him in the knockout rounds.

Personally, I would take 5 central midfielders - knowing that Shehu Abdullahi can always fill in as a CM/DM and Alex Iwobi can play AM. At this point my 5 would be Mikel, Onazi, Ndidi, Etebo and Joel.

Please tell him. Obi is not competing against a vacuum. He is competing against either Ndidi or Onazi. Onazi is simply better than him defensively...and Ndidi towers above him defensively and offensively. You can make a case that Obi is probably a better all round player than Onazi...but we're not looking for all round players right now.

Unless of course Rohr decides to make Wilfred the defensive midfielder, and put Obi as CM, then Obi can only work on the bench. I think the biggest problem with players like Obi is they're a bit undefined...they are what we used to call utility players.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet