Watched Croatia vs Mexico yesterday and..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin
Watched Croatia vs Mexico yesterday and..

Post by YUJAM »

I have come to the conclusion that this will be a very difficult match for Nigeria. Croatia are a well drilled side that presses well. They have solid midfielders who can win the ball and lead the counter. They are good on the attack and have several guys that can 'disturb' the defense of any team. Their defenders are solid and don't make any glaring mistakes.

Now I do believe the S Eagles can beat them but clearly Rohr has to play an extremely tactical game with the Croatians. I think the midfield is the key because even without Modric yesterday, they showed a lot of mobility and tactical understanding. So in my view Rohr has to flood the midfield with guys who have tactical discipline on both sides of the ball with a couple who have the range to attack too. Their goal should be to control Croatian effectiveness in midfield and shut down the flanks but at the same time lead lightning quick counters that takes advantage of the pace the SE have.

For me this midfield is a five man midfield as follows: Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Moses and Joel.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
Obong
Egg
Egg
Re: Watched Croatia vs Mexico yesterday and..

Post by Obong »

Great observation, Yujam. Watched the game too and agree with your views. Also, after their penalty goal, Mexico pressured being the home team. Yet, they soaked it in and still countered effectively. We have our work cut out, but we can still win the crucial first match.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

So they have Modric, Madzukich(sp) and the othr guy at Barcelona? Or is it Juventus? :atc:
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

YUJAM wrote:I have come to the conclusion that this will be a very difficult match for Nigeria. Croatia are a well drilled side that presses well. They have solid midfielders who can win the ball and lead the counter. They are good on the attack and have several guys that can 'disturb' the defense of any team. Their defenders are solid and don't make any glaring mistakes.

Now I do believe the S Eagles can beat them but clearly Rohr has to play an extremely tactical game with the Croatians. I think the midfield is the key because even without Modric yesterday, they showed a lot of mobility and tactical understanding. So in my view Rohr has to flood the midfield with guys who have tactical discipline on both sides of the ball with a couple who have the range to attack too. Their goal should be to control Croatian effectiveness in midfield and shut down the flanks but at the same time lead lightning quick counters that takes advantage of the pace the SE have.

For me this midfield is a five man midfield as follows: Mikel, Ndidi, Etebo, Moses and Joel.
Yes it'll be a very tough game. I'm a betting man and I've got it down as a high-scoring draw but anyway....

I think their defenders are the weakest link - it would be interesting to see how they - esp Lovren would fare against a mobile attack. Ideally someone like Onyekuru or even Ighalo could thrive if provided the right service...

Interesting five in midfield - presumably that's Etebo on the flanks?
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

They have Kovacic - Real, Modric -Real, Rakitic Barca and the other guy that plays DM for Inter.
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Friendly
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

Moses on one flank and Joel on the other. Honestly I think you could have Onazi or Etebo in the middle. Onazi is a slightly better defender but Etebo brings more range and general play

The YeyeMan wrote:
YUJAM wrote:I have come to the conclusion that this will be a very difficult match for Nigeria. Croatia are a well drilled side that presses well. They have solid midfielders who can win the ball and lead the counter. They are good on the attack and have several guys that can 'disturb' the defense of any team. Their defenders are solid and don't make any glaring mistakes.

Yes it'll be a very tough game. I'm a betting man and I've got it down as a high-scoring draw but anyway....

I think their defenders are the weakest link - it would be interesting to see how they - esp Lovren would fare against a mobile attack. Ideally someone like Onyekuru or even Ighalo could thrive if provided the right service...

Interesting five in midfield - presumably that's Etebo on the flanks?
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

YUJAM wrote:They have Kovacic - Real, Modric -Real, Rakitic Barca and the other guy that plays DM for Inter.
Croatia does not have a DM at Inter.

Brozovic is a number 8 for inter and in his career.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

[/video]
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Mikel (advanced role), Etebo (not sure what role he will fit into), Ndidi, Onazi will sit back.
danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

Didnt watch this game, as I wasnt sure how helpful it will be. They didnt play their starters, and honest, Like Nigeria, Croatia actually plays differently with their starters...
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
asabatex
Egg
Egg

Post by asabatex »

From the highlights -Iceland and Croatia will physically manhandle our team :scared: oh boy this is going to be 3 games and out you go.
Last edited by asabatex on Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Of course it should be a difficult match for us. They have higher rated players than us and their players play for bigger teams. We can win (Hopeful) but Croatians are expected to win (Neutrals)
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Croatians are grilled on mobility (not speed) and technique. I watched the game too and boy...I am more worried for us with Croatia than I am of Argentina. I think we can and have often gone toe-to-toe with the argies but Croatia...we got to be very very disciplined and be playing a highly tactical game.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

How can you be worried about Croatia more than Argentina when Argentina has Messi, Aguero, Demetria, icardi. This is what’s expected
Nigeria vs Croatia 40 - 60
Nigeria vs Iceland 70 - 30
Nigeria vs Argentina 30 - 70 odds

Basically, Croatia vs Nigeria would decide the game
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

I can't believe some of the things people claim they see on TV. I was very concerned about the Croatia game but after watching their game v Mexico yesterday my fears have eased a bit. If Croatia dare step on the field and play the way they played Mexico they'll chopped pure unrefined Kane from SE.

Mexico had time and space on the ball but where playing with so much haste like somebody put werepe in their pants. They were in such a hurry to score you'd think the wc had started, a calmer team would've put 3 goals past Croatia yesterday. On so many plays i saw Mexican forwards and MF with hectares of space in front of them to run and dribble into but they ended up not doing much with it. I know you folks thing SE are weak and feeble but i think you'd agree that 10 yards of space in front of Moses,Musa, Mikel etc is a recipe for disaster for the opposition. Croatia has to press, they have Zero ability to win possession back in field, ineffective DM , once you get past the press they just crowd the box. Mexico had so many shooting opportunities from long range but none troubled the keeper. I'd fancy one of those for Etebo or kelechi,even Musa!Even the PK was a silly foul on a player that was almost out of bounds. also, Mexico made 4 changes at HT. Most of what Yujam is yanning about happenned in the 2nd half.

Yes, SE have glaring weakness but i don't see any reason to think we cant beat Croatia. IF Mikel is on the pitch we'll should score 2 goals no doubt. :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

See the way the start shrine Croatian.SMH.First game Nigeria 2-1 Croatia,the second game Croatia will not beat Argentina or draw..
SE will top this group,it will be like the WCQ group that Algeria and Cameroon were shrine.
cchinukw
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by cchinukw »

Chei.... Shaggy Shaking mode activated :scared: :atc: :atc:
MAGA - Make Arsenal Great Again.

Mind that father made collection of Scifi and fantasy stories
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mind-That-Father-Made/dp/1907652051
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

I agree with the first part of your statement. As for Naija beating them as at this point in time in our prep stage. I would defer verdict until after the England game.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
return2k2
Egg
Egg

Post by return2k2 »

The Super Eagle's biggest problem has always been the team work. Mexico has better team work than Super Eagles. The Eagles can't even pass a ball straight or can't even shoot one ball on target. It's always been like that for years.Our players are physically strong and they have individual skills and they fill in specific positions and roles in major clubs in Europe and clubs in other parts of the world but they don't seem to be very technical when they get together as a team. Even when they play for their clubs, it's the Europeans and other players that's setting the midfield up for them while the Nigerian player is either just defending or scoring goals.

Rohr at this point should stop experimenting with players and he should just build a team by keeping the same players that qualified for the world cup or keep the same players that beat Argentina in the friendly match. He should have them playing as a team and knowing their positions instead of experimenting. It's too late for that. Even both Poland and Serbia as a whole looked better than Nigeria.