ATL: The Black Soccer Culture No One Knew Existed

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: ATL: The Black Soccer Culture No One Knew Existed

Post by Bell »

goke313 wrote:

WATCH OUT, WORLD, WHEN...

...Black America adopts soccer as a mainstream sport. They'll have a lot to add on and off the field. Meanwhile, MLS & USSF would do themselves a ton of good if they create a special initiative to the black community.
Bell
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This is so great. I had a dream once to pioneer this culture in my city
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...only black foreigners or kids foreign blacks play this sport.
You will never be able to convince a black, born and raised here by a bonafide AA, to play the sport. To awkward for them.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote:...only black foreigners or kids foreign blacks play this sport.
You will never be able to convince a black, born and raised here by a bonafide AA, to play the sport. To awkward for them.
What about Tennis?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

You just watch.
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

na the influence of ATL Gunners Robbynice, Kaizer, Globero and others :clap: :clap: :clap:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

goke313 wrote:[/video]
Incredible.
Learnt two things just from watching this short video:
1. 'Soccer' in the US is aimed at middle-class white kids.
2. To black kids, 'soccer' has been almost invisible, and therefore not an option.

It's all changing now.
I'm not into American football but can the word 'beauty' be attributable to the game in a way that it is to 'soccer'?
There's just something poetic about football that I don't find in any other sport.
Maybe I'm just biased.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Bell wrote:
goke313 wrote:

...Black America adopts soccer as a mainstream sport. They'll have a lot to add on and off the field. Meanwhile, MLS & USSF would do themselves a ton of good if they create a special initiative to the black community.
Bell
There's racism inherent in how the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association -- the body that oversees college athletics in the States) runs it's college soccer programs. Coaches avoid recruiting black players and foreign-born (latino and African players) in large numbers. It is like what used to happen in NCCA Basketball until 1966 when UTEP beat Kentucky. Howard University used to have a very strong soccer program (70's to the late 80's) but like all things at Howard, has gone south. I think they stopped recruiting foreign-born black players or somn.

But until MLS and USSF invest in NCAA soccer programs they won't be able to attract the best athletes towards soccer.

Inner City Schools don't have the coaches or facilities either.

What ends up happening is that you have children who play soccer as Physical Education (Rec) activity... and the 'best' student/athlete go to the suburban schools where soccer is taken a little bit more seriously.

I wish more African immigrants will volunteer their time to coach inner-city school soccer programs.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Damunk wrote:
You just watch.
..I hope it happens. When I was in the sport I was like a single man on an island of whites.
At every match, tournaments, kick-abouts, you can count how many of blacks (and always foreigners) there on one hand.
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Kabalega wrote:
What about Tennis?
...what about that? It is almost the same as soccer, exclusive, and elitist sport in America.
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

mcal wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
What about Tennis?
...what about that? It is almost the same as soccer, exclusive, and elitist sport in America.
Well, do you know these two? :D

“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
Player
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Player »

Cellular wrote:
Bell wrote:
goke313 wrote:

Bell
There's racism inherent in how the NCAA (National Collegiate Athletic Association -- the body that oversees college athletics in the States) runs it's college soccer programs. Coaches avoid recruiting black players and foreign-born (latino and African players) in large numbers. It is like what used to happen in NCCA Basketball until 1966 when UTEP beat Kentucky. Howard University used to have a very strong soccer program (70's to the late 80's) but like all things at Howard, has gone south. I think they stopped recruiting foreign-born black players or somn.

But until MLS and USSF invest in NCAA soccer programs they won't be able to attract the best athletes towards soccer.

What ends up happening is that you have children who play soccer as Physical Education (Rec) activity... and the 'best' student/athlete go to the suburban schools where soccer is taken a little bit more seriously.

I wish more African immigrants will volunteer their time to coach inner-city school soccer programs.
There is a growing trend of college programs coming to the UK to recruit black players for their soccer programs in the US, not sure if that fits into your theory above
"The house Negro and the field Negro sat at dinner, when the field Negro turned his head, the house Negro put some poison in his food but the field Negro saw him do it and when the house Negro turned his head, the field Negro "turned the tray around."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

Kabalega wrote:
mcal wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
What about Tennis?
Well, do you know these two? :D

...i no sabi where you dey go with that. We dey talk about soccer/football. May be you should bring up Tiger Wood in all white sport, or black Olympic swimmers too.
Bigpokey24
Super Eagle
Super Eagle

Post by Bigpokey24 »

Player wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Bell wrote:
goke313 wrote:

Bell

There is a growing trend of college programs coming to the UK to recruit black players for their soccer programs in the US, not sure if that fits into your theory above
what are you doing here :D
SuperEagles

© Bigpokey24, most loved on CE
My post are with no warranties and confers zero rights. Get out your feelings
It is not authorized by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use.
All rights aren't reserved
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

It just makes total sense. Its more inclusive than any other sport, costs less and has a global appeal and market.
The "Pay 2 Play" system they have been using was always doomed to fail. Privileged middle class kids will never be able to compete against the best footballing nations in the world, no matter how much money you can throw at it.

This is how you create a real football nation,...at the grass roots, and it looks like the roots have been well planted in ATL.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

charlie wrote:It just makes total sense. Its more inclusive than any other sport, costs less and has a global appeal and market.
The "Pay 2 Play" system they have been using was always doomed to fail. Privileged middle class kids will never be able to compete against the best footballing nations in the world, no matter how much money you can throw at it.

This is how you create a real football nation,...at the grass roots, and it looks like the roots have been well planted in ATL.
...e tough my brother. When I was with the youth traveling team, they have to pay up to $500 to register, this is because of insurance to injury and plus, to protect the organizers.
America is a suing nation. I use to argue with the adults that as kids we never pay, except we get together to acquire our uniforms. For shoe, we played with bare foot, those that can afford will go and buy.
TheHitman47
Egg
Egg

Post by TheHitman47 »

I think the significance of results at the World Cup and the rise of the MLS (which is still improving, one of the few leagues actually doing so) is going to make the sport grow in black communities in the US. The big thing with soccer in the US isn't that it is a white sport but that it's a Women's sport, because most white guys don't want to be Soccer players in the US. It's a rich white guy/girl and foreigner sport in the US.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

TheHitman47 wrote:I think the significance of results at the World Cup and the rise of the MLS (which is still improving, one of the few leagues actually doing so) is going to make the sport grow in black communities in the US. The big thing with soccer in the US isn't that it is a white sport but that it's a Women's sport, because most white guys don't want to be Soccer players in the US. It's a rich white guy/girl and foreigner sport in the US.
This is really funny and is a great example of social conditioning and culture.
As a child, I believed (and was probably taught) that if you rolled a ball towards a toddler, a boy would instinctively kick it and a girl would pick it up. Moreover, if you instructed a little girl to kick a ball, she would probably miss the ball completely or fall over in the process. :rotf:

This was obviously not exactly true but it was the reason why many over here viewed ball-handling games as 'girlie'. No self-respecting boychild really wanted to be seen playing 'handball'. Real boys kick balls, not hold them - or so we believed.

Obviously, basketball, American football and baseball (an improvisation of another 'girlie' school playground game, 'rounders') are huge in America and this perspective would sound just as preposterous to Americans as would the 'white girlie' soccer image to Brits and Europeans.
Ebyboy
Egg
Egg

Post by Ebyboy »

May God hasten the day when black kids take up this sport.

For many years upon this spot
You heard the sound of a merry bell
Those who were rash and those who were not
Lost and made a spot of cash
He who gave the game away
May he Brynn in hell and rue the day

Bryne V. Deane [1937]
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote:Incredible.
2. To black kids, 'soccer' has been almost invisible, and therefore not an option.

It's all changing now.

I'm not into American football but can the word 'beauty' be attributable to the game in a way that it is to 'soccer'? There's just something poetic about football that I don't find in any other sport.
Maybe I'm just biased.
Chief Dokita nwannem nwoke, you are very right o o o o! "The Beautiful Game" is making a serious comeback despite the efforts of the likes of Mourinho and Dunga to kill it. Real, Barca, PSG, Man City, what they do is pure Art. While many American sports are generally good physical spectacles, only basketball approaches the beauty found in the best soccer.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

ohsee wrote:
Damunk wrote:Incredible.

It's all changing now.

I'm not into American football but can the word 'beauty' be attributable to the game in a way that it is to 'soccer'? There's just something poetic about football that I don't find in any other sport.
Maybe I'm just biased.
Chief Dokita nwannem nwoke, you are very right o o o o! "The Beautiful Game" is making a serious comeback despite the efforts of the likes of Mourinho and Dunga to kill it. Real, Barca, PSG, Man City, what they do is pure Art. While many American sports are generally good physical spectacles, only basketball approaches the beauty found in the best soccer.

American sports are generally good physical spectacles, I agree. But they also tend to be highly technical and tactical, therefore making them highly addictive once one understands what's going on behind all the running around. Certainly nowhere as entertaining as our buriful game of soccer, nonetheless...
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

Damunk wrote:
TheHitman47 wrote:I think the significance of results at the World Cup and the rise of the MLS (which is still improving, one of the few leagues actually doing so) is going to make the sport grow in black communities in the US. The big thing with soccer in the US isn't that it is a white sport but that it's a Women's sport, because most white guys don't want to be Soccer players in the US. It's a rich white guy/girl and foreigner sport in the US.
This is really funny and is a great example of social conditioning and culture.
As a child, I believed (and was probably taught) that if you rolled a ball towards a toddler, a boy would instinctively kick it and a girl would pick it up. Moreover, if you instructed a little girl to kick a ball, she would probably miss the ball completely or fall over in the process. :rotf:

This was obviously not exactly true but it was the reason why many over here viewed ball-handling games as 'girlie'. No self-respecting boychild really wanted to be seen playing 'handball'. Real boys kick balls, not hold them - or so we believed.

Obviously, basketball, American football and baseball (an improvisation of another 'girlie' school playground game, 'rounders') are huge in America and this perspective would sound just as preposterous to Americans as would the 'white girlie' soccer image to Brits and Europeans.
Yes, that "women's sport" thing is changing slowly. Once upon a time, sports commentators in the media used to yab soccer all the time (boring, children's sport, women's sport) but with the World Cup fever that immigrants have helped promote, that is changing, in fact, you no longer hear it.

In Toronto, things are different given the immigrant population, especially with the Italians and the street battles they have had in WC years past with the Argies. The media coverage of immigrant rivalries has made WC year something even non-watchers of soccer look forward to. This world cup year will be different without the Italians and their boasts and street celebrations after every win. But soccer is now taken very seriously in this city, especially given that Toronto FC recently won the MLS cup, and the fact that they are kicking butt in the CONCACAF Champions League.

But the problem remains that it is a middle class game, and kids who play are those whose parents can afford to pay for team membership, drive or fly to Montreal, Sudbury or even the US for tournaments, and have the whole family stay in hotels. This excludes a lot of talented kids and those with no other option but to be outstanding at the game. Middle class kids have the option of becoming middle class professionals like their parents.