Goalkeeping situation

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Goalkeeping situation

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:All the years Enyema was manning our goal post what did we really accomplish apart from serendipitous victory in AFCON 2013 which would be mostly attributed to Mikel's bravura performance during the the tournament. When SE missed 2006 World Cup it was definitely the fault of Enyema who let a soft ball passed by. Yes he was good keeper but not an excellent one and invariable is not the panacea to SE problem right now. I suggest we should swin and drown with the goalkeepers we have available right now . Lets swallow the hot bullet take our chances . It is time we take up the gauntlet and let Enyema moves on. Heartily I have never seen Enyema as a highly dependable and realiable goalkeeper that can save us from our current predicament.
Lack of scoring opportunities is more calamitious to this team than goalkeeping debacles. That invariably needs far more attention than this imaginary goalkeeping problem . I have uttermost confidence that Uzoho will rise up to the occasion and excell beyond the expectations of many people. Believe it or not I don't envisage our goal keeping department as our soft spot in spite of deep concern expressed by many so called pundits in this forum. Take it this bank if we invite Enyema back to this team to mann our post we will live to regret it. We should not regurgitate our vomit. A word is enough for the wise.
Sure and the years before and after Enyeama we were winning back to back world cups and top 5 in the world... :glare:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Damunk wrote:
Shownoja wrote:Sometimes I wonder what experience Enyeama had in 2002 when he manned the post in a World Cup game. I will pin my mast with Uzoho. Get him a shrink or motivator for his early jitters and let him express himself. There is no point crying now. He has the talent to excel.
As long as you don't cry - or worse, become abusive - if and when (God forbid) the young man really fumbles on the big stage due to no fault of his own.
I know my people.
All this 'understanding' and magnanimity will be thrown right out the window should things not go to plan. We already saw the first signs of typical Naija behaviour towards Rohr after the Serbia defeat - and that was just a meaningless friendly. :idea:

By the way, motivation and psychology are no substitute for good old experience.
Enyema has been a ballast all these times he has been manning our post and he has never fumbled. Please can you all stop rewriting history . Enyema has had his own shares of fumbles and I'm sure he learnt from it thus other players should be given equal opportunities. In our various professions we have made different mistake from lack of experience at the beginning of our careers which definitely make us better professionals we are today. Somebody took chances on us did not stick to his or her old workers in fear of mistakes with rookies.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:All the years Enyema was manning our goal post what did we really accomplish apart from serendipitous victory in AFCON 2013 which would be mostly attributed to Mikel's bravura performance during the the tournament. When SE missed 2006 World Cup it was definitely the fault of Enyema who let a soft ball passed by. Yes he was good keeper but not an excellent one and invariable is not the panacea to SE problem right now. I suggest we should swin and drown with the goalkeepers we have available right now . Lets swallow the hot bullet take our chances . It is time we take up the gauntlet and let Enyema moves on. Heartily I have never seen Enyema as a highly dependable and realiable goalkeeper that can save us from our current predicament.
Lack of scoring opportunities is more calamitious to this team than goalkeeping debacles. That invariably needs far more attention than this imaginary goalkeeping problem . I have uttermost confidence that Uzoho will rise up to the occasion and excell beyond the expectations of many people. Believe it or not I don't envisage our goal keeping department as our soft spot in spite of deep concern expressed by many so called pundits in this forum. Take it this bank if we invite Enyema back to this team to mann our post we will live to regret it. We should not regurgitate our vomit. A word is enough for the wise.
Sure and the years before and after Enyeama we were winning back to back world cups and top 5 in the world... :glare:
Surely we won all the tournaments both all the AFCONS and World cups while he was manning our post
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

01bakana wrote:
Shownoja wrote:Sometimes I wonder what experience Enyeama had in 2002 when he manned the post in a World Cup game. I will pin my mast with Uzoho. Get him a shrink or motivator for his early jitters and let him express himself. There is no point crying now. He has the talent to excel.
That game vs England, my friend was a dead rubber or what ever they call it these days

Thank you! People easily forget that the game meant little for Nigeria and England needed just a draw from the game. Such a game is a world of difference compared to playing in the previous games of that World Cup ( v Sweden and v Argentina) when Nigeria and their opponenst fought vigorously for the points.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
Surely we won all the tournaments both all the AFCONS and World cups while he was manning our post
No one guarantees anything, however the wise set themselves up with the best available hands for the job. If we follow your argument then why even have a goalie, as our previous goalies haven't won all the tournaments, all the AFCONS and World cups, so why even use a goalie....in fact lets just put a cone there, "swallow the hot bullet and take our chances" without a goalie in post... :roll:
Last edited by maceo4 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:
01bakana wrote:
That game vs England, my friend was a dead rubber or what ever they call it these days

Thank you! People easily forget that the game meant little for Nigeria and England needed just a draw from the game. Such a game is a world of difference compared to playing in the previous games of that World Cup ( v Sweden and v Argentina) when Nigeria and their opponenst fought vigorously for the points.
People are not forgetting, they are simply not mentioning it because it doesn't buttress their argument. Rather, it works against it.
Oloye also made a crucial point about individual temperament.
If Enyeama showed a calmness and maturity at 19 then why wouldn't he be blooded in a dead rubber WC game?
Why didn't they blood him when there were vital points to fight for?
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Odas wrote:Hmmm, dis wahala wey we get hard-oo!
Its no joke at all. Its like we were set up
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
No one guarantees anything, however the wise set themselves up with the best available hands for the job. If we follow your argument then why even have a goalie, as our previous goalies haven't won all the tournaments, all the AFCONS and World cups, so why even use a goalie....in fact lets just put a cone there, "swallow the hot bullet and take our chances" without a goalie in post... :roll:

Enyeama was a 'superhero', but in my opinion, he wasn't as fundamentally sound as Ikeme. His reflexes were some of the best in the world, but the soundest keeper I saw play for Nigeria in the last 20 years was Carl.

I know, I know. Its tough to compare, as Enyeama is much more likely to save a team from a Messi onslaught than almost any other keeper in the world...but when it comes to crosses, anticipation, and doing the simple things a keeper should, my vote goes to Carl. Next to Carl is Shorunmu....just in technical soundness. But in reflexes and pulling off top drawer stops, Enyeama was the undisputed King. No one comes close
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

bully12 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
As long as you don't cry - or worse, become abusive - if and when (God forbid) the young man really fumbles on the big stage due to no fault of his own.
I know my people.
All this 'understanding' and magnanimity will be thrown right out the window should things not go to plan. We already saw the first signs of typical Naija behaviour towards Rohr after the Serbia defeat - and that was just a meaningless friendly. :idea:

By the way, motivation and psychology are no substitute for good old experience.
Enyema has been a ballast all these times he has been manning our post and he has never fumbled. Please can you all stop rewriting history . Enyema has had his own shares of fumbles and I'm sure he learnt from it thus other players should be given equal opportunities. In our various professions we have made different mistake from lack of experience at the beginning of our careers which definitely make us better professionals we are today. Somebody took chances on us did not stick to his or her old workers in fear of mistakes with rookies.
This your 'equal opportunity' argument is BS. Is this the 'United Nations Human Rights Cup' abi weytin?
People are going into battle with their deadliest strike force and you are mentioning 'equal opportunity'.

As for taking a chance on a freshie...I don't know about your profession but in mine, you don't "take a chance' on such a young, inexperienced professional by throwing him in at the deep end.
Somebody will die.

Uzoho should be groomed and blooded on a lesser stage, not in front of the whole world and in a cauldron like the WC which, if it all goes wrong could destroy his fledgling career for ever.
Plus Nigerians like you will totally crucify him. Are you not well known here for your extreme knee-jerk reactions to every setback?

'Nuff said. :idea:
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Enyeama was a 'superhero', but in my opinion, he wasn't as fundamentally sound as Ikeme. His reflexes were some of the best in the world, but the soundest keeper I saw play for Nigeria in the last 20 years was Carl.

I know, I know. Its tough to compare, as Enyeama is much more likely to save a team from a Messi onslaught than almost any other keeper in the world...but when it comes to crosses, anticipation, and doing the simple things a keeper should, my vote goes to Carl. Next to Carl is Shorunmu....just in technical soundness. But in reflexes and pulling off top drawer stops, Enyeama was the undisputed King. No one comes close
If Carl is available you wouldn't hear a word from me about Enyeama. That said even in the short time Carl was there he did make fundamental mistakes. You can go watch our first match vs Zambia and he was dodgy on some crosses one literally passed through his hands, brushing off his gloves and hitting the crossbar going out for a corner. There is a reason why he has always been a lower division keeper in England however he was decent enough for the WC.

And for all you are saying about Enyeama, I doubt if all he was good at was shot stopping that he would have played division 1 in France with such high praise in his time there. He has his flaws, but he was and is still a top goalie.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

If Carl is available you wouldn't hear a word from me about Enyeama. That said even in the short time Carl was there he did make fundamental mistakes. You can go watch our first match vs Zambia and he was dodgy on some crosses one literally passed through his hands, brushing off his gloves and hitting the crossbar going out for a corner. There is a reason why he has always been a lower division keeper in England however he was decent enough for the WC.

And for all you are saying about Enyeama, I doubt if all he was good at was shot stopping that he would have played division 1 in France with such high praise in his time there. He has his flaws, but he was and is still a top goalie.
You dey mind dem?
Now seems to be the time to downplay Enyeama's attributes for the sake of argument. Whoever said he was perfect? Which keeper is?
This argument is a no brainier tbh.
The more we examine the reality of our current situation, the more obvious it is that we need a drastic solution.
People are sticking to their guns just because they must stick to their guns, maybe according to The Nigerian Constitution or something. They have suddenly become fierce advocates of the 'United Nations Charter of Human Rights and Equal Football Opportunity' :roll:

The only person that has been humble enough to admit to having a rethink is Odas.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

niyi wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
Obong wrote:This was Enyeama training earlier today. Hope he gets the call and is on the next list in May. If he makes it, definitely a plus for the team.

Vince is teasing us mein. :laugh:

Why is he training with his church deacons?
niyi, those are not church deacons. They are top goalkeeper coaches in France. For example, Jean-Pierre Mottet whom he thanked above is a renowned coach that has worked under several top managers and is currently Lille's goalkeeping coach. I'm impressed with the fact that Enyeama has been working out regularly and has kept himself in shape as a true professional would.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/jean-pier ... ainer/5765

And GWimbee is Gregory Wimbee, a retired French goalkeeper.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%A9gory_Wimb%C3%A9e
Last edited by Obong on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I know my people.

This your 'equal opportunity' argument is BS. Is this the 'United Nations Human Rights Cup' abi weytin?
People are going into battle with their deadliest strike force and you are mentioning 'equal opportunity'.

As for taking a chance on a freshie...I don't know about your profession but in mine, you don't "take a chance' on such a young, inexperienced professional by throwing him in at the deep end.
Somebody will die.

Uzoho should be groomed and blooded on a lesser stage, not in front of the whole world and in a cauldron like the WC which, if it all goes wrong could destroy his fledgling career for ever.
Plus Nigerians like you will totally crucify him. Are you not well known here for your extreme knee-jerk reactions to every setback?

Sir in my profession also mistakes can easily cause lost of human lives but it did not deter my bosses from taking chances with me . Seriously I made my mistakes fortunately they were not fatal. I can recall two incidents that stood out in my mind which I have always thank the Almighty they did not cause lost of lives.
Having said that Uzoho must be given his chance to demonstrate what he is made off in spite of acerbic criticism he may receive from people like me if he fails. Failure and fear of its consequential criticism should not be an impediment to his growth. He will only be a failure if he fails, remains down but surely a better goalkeeper if he fails, learns
from it and improves on it. Just like I said goal keeping is not the archilles of this team. I heartily believe Uzoho will be equal to the task when the situation arises. Enyema in the past has never be devoid of silly mistakes that made one said Hmmmmm. He is very good shot stopper but he was not infallible as some of you tend to profess now.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

bully12 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
bully12 wrote:
Damunk wrote:
I know my people.

Somebody will die.

Sir in my profession also mistakes can easily cause lost of human lives but it did not deter my bosses from taking chances with me . Seriously I made my mistakes fortunately they were not fatal. I can recall two incidents that stood out in my mind which I have always thank the Almighty they did not cause lost of lives.
Having said that Uzoho must be given his chance to demonstrate what he is made off in spite of acerbic criticism he may receive from people like me if he fails. Failure and fear of its consequential criticism should not be an impediment to his growth. He will only be a failure if he fails and remains down but surely a better goalkeeper if he fails learnt from it improves on it. Just like I said goal keeping is not the archilles of this team. I heartily believe Uzoho will be equal to the task when the situation arises. Enyema in the past has never be devoid of silly mistakes that made one said Hmmmmm. He is very good shot stopper but he was not infallible as some of you tend to profess now.
But Uzoho has been given a chance, he started our last 2 games and didn't necessarily show he is the undisputed number 1. And if he would be able to rise to the WC situation he would need to start showing that during these friendlies where the pressure is less. He might fail he might not, but why take that chance if we have a more proven option? What is the real goal here? If Enyeama is called and other goalies prove to be better options then the best hand goes, but I don't get this argument that he CANNOT be given a chance. It just seems irrational.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Bros, where did I say all he was good at was shot stopping? Enyeama was a beast, but the strongest aspect of his game was shot stopping, which ironically seems to be the strongest aspect of Uzoho's game (Ezenwa too). Nigeria produces those types by the dozens, and Enyeama was the best of them. Enyeama was a short keeper, so just by that alone, crosses were not his strong suit. Was he terrible? No. But this was an exploitable weakness.

We suffer in the more technical aspects of goalkeeping. I did not and do not now imply that he was useless in the technical aspects...but all keepers have their strengths.

When we face european opposition, I have seen these weaknesses exploited over and over. We match them pound for pound...like we did France in Brazil...but they exploit these technical weaknesses and we end up losing...gallantly, but losing all the same. It is my chief fear for Uzoho...I feel, in the hands of european scouts, Uzoho is mince meat. If we face teams that do their homework, how do we survive??

Right now, I'm open to anybody. I long thought with a year out, Enyeama could not be ready for top flight football but Uzoho's weaknesses concern me. Enyeama, Ejide, Aiyenugba
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
deanotito wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
bully12 wrote:
maceo4 wrote:

Bros, where did I say all he was good at was shot stopping? Enyeama was a beast, but the strongest aspect of his game was shot stopping, which ironically seems to be the strongest aspect of Uzoho's game (Ezenwa too). Nigeria produces those types by the dozens, and Enyeama was the best of them. Enyeama was a short keeper, so just by that alone, crosses were not his strong suit. Was he terrible? No. But this was an exploitable weakness.

We suffer in the more technical aspects of goalkeeping. I did not and do not now imply that he was useless in the technical aspects...but all keepers have their strengths.

When we face european opposition, I have seen these weaknesses exploited over and over. We match them pound for pound...like we did France in Brazil...but they exploit these technical weaknesses and we end up losing...gallantly, but losing all the same. It is my chief fear for Uzoho...I feel, in the hands of european scouts, Uzoho is mince meat. If we face teams that do their homework, how do we survive??
We survive by limiting the amount of st pieces. Poland and Serbia must have had 20 corners against us. While I believe uzoho is not the finished article I also think we're being unreasonable in our expectations of him. The boy only weakness so far seems to be his nerves in early moments but is that not a reasonable response from a young goalie who finds himself in a WC team from a development program as a youth goalie? Bring in Enyeama,uzoho and Ezenwa, let them battle it out and the winner is no 1. Ironically, as you pointed out , they all have similar weaknesses but I believe Enyeama offers more.
OCCUPY NFF!!
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

ogiso wrote:I suspect that I am in the minority (possibly a minority of one!) but I will punt for Ezenwa. From what I saw at the friendlies Uzoho's timing is flawed. He is so uncertain even to the point of making him freeze instead of going towards the ball and I fear that teams will target that weakness, knowing that this information is already in the public domain . Uzoho has shown he is a decent shot stopper and he handled the few crosses that came his way very well. But on account of his age, inexperience and hesitance, I will put Ezenwa in instead. Uzoho is our likely man for the future post-WC, subject to Ikeme's return.
Between all three, ill def pick Ezenwa over Uzoho.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

maceo4 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:
We survive by limiting the amount of st pieces. Poland and Serbia must have had 20 corners against us. While I believe uzoho is not the finished article I also think we're being unreasonable in our expectations of him. The boy only weakness so far seems to be his nerves in early moments but is that not a reasonable response from a young goalie who finds himself in a WC team from a development program as a youth goalie? Bring in Enyeama,uzoho and Ezenwa, let them battle it out and the winner is no 1. Ironically, as you pointed out , they all have similar weaknesses but I believe Enyeama offers more.
Bros, limiting set pieces no be strategy. Before France scored their first goal against us, it was corner after corner after corner. The best way to limit set pieces is to signal to other teams that there is no weakness there. If there is weakness, it will be set piece galore
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:Bros, where did I say all he was good at was shot stopping? Enyeama was a beast, but the strongest aspect of his game was shot stopping, which ironically seems to be the strongest aspect of Uzoho's game (Ezenwa too). Nigeria produces those types by the dozens, and Enyeama was the best of them. Enyeama was a short keeper, so just by that alone, crosses were not his strong suit. Was he terrible? No. But this was an exploitable weakness.

Right now, I'm open to anybody. I long thought with a year out, Enyeama could not be ready for top flight football but Uzoho's weaknesses concern me. Enyeama, Ejide, Aiyenugba
Abegi, spare us the so-called "technical" BS...
The sole purpose of goalkeeping is preventing goals, no one cares if a GK look pretty doing it.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Gotti wrote:
deanotito wrote:Bros, where did I say all he was good at was shot stopping? Enyeama was a beast, but the strongest aspect of his game was shot stopping, which ironically seems to be the strongest aspect of Uzoho's game (Ezenwa too). Nigeria produces those types by the dozens, and Enyeama was the best of them. Enyeama was a short keeper, so just by that alone, crosses were not his strong suit. Was he terrible? No. But this was an exploitable weakness.

Abegi, spare us the so-called "technical" BS...
The sole purpose of goalkeeping is preventing goals, no one cares if a GK look pretty doing it.
Nonsense. I didn't say anything about looking pretty.

Every position on the field is technical. Every. That's why keepers study AND train....if you can't anticipate crosses, you'll get beat. If you're short, you'll get beat....even if your reflexes are awesome.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

deanotito wrote:Nonsense. I didn't say anything about looking pretty.

Every position on the field is technical. Every. That's why keepers study AND train....if you can't anticipate crosses, you'll get beat. If you're short, you'll get beat....even if your reflexes are awesome.
Explains why WC-winning Fabien Barthez was such a giant... :lol:

Or why Ikeme consistently played at a higher level and achieved more than Vince ever did...
Dude, enough with the ephemeral BS, the SOLE purpose of goalkeeping is to consistently prevent goals!
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

Gotti, you may want to reconsider that line in your retort that states:

Or why Ikeme consistently played at a higher level and achieved more than Vince ever did...

Either you meant it as a back-handed joke, or you just wanted to rile up an argument. However, facts are sacred. Enyeama definitely has played at a higher level than Ikeme and has achieved more, whether individually as a player or as a club or international player. It stands to reason that in football terms, the French Ligue 1 is higher in estimation than the English Championship.

Carl Ikeme: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Ikeme

Vincent Enyeama: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincent_Enyeama
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"