Nigeria: Why Academy Players Matter to Euro Clubs..

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Nigeria: Why Academy Players Matter to Euro Clubs..

Post by Enugu II »

There is a widely-held belief that players who choose to go through a Nigerian Football Academy, compared to those who play in Nigeria's top elite league, end up making it to teams in the Top Five European Leagues i.e. England, Spain, Germany, Italy, and France.
Most of the transferees to Europe end up in Scandinavia, Belgium, or East European countries. Those destinations, essentially, serve as a bridge to get to quality destinations. It is a route often used by academy players who are able to get into Europe more easily because their declared ages are often within the range where there is no immediate pressure to play for the senior squad of European clubs. Instead, they may start from the B squads or even club academies in Europe.
For details, including data, click on link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/04/w ... it-to.html
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Bell
Egg
Egg
Re: Nigeria: Why Academy Players Matter to Euro Clubs..

Post by Bell »

THIS STUDY FOCUSES ON NIGERIA, BUT...

...it's more or less what goes on regarding soccer in much of the world outside of the Big 5. Even in the great soccer-playing nations of S. America and E. Europe. Kid's growing up who "state often that their ultimate career goal is to play in Europe." I understand their aspirations and I would too if I was in their shoes.

The scandal here is that FIFA which loves to publicize the game as the world's game allows this to continue. Have they even thought about it being or are they too comfortable with the present order of things to notice? How often, for example, did the Nigerian fans see JayJay or Kanu play in person? We can ask the same about Messi/Argentina and even the mighty Ronaldo/Portugal. Even if there's a level playing field I wouldn't mind players moving from their country to others, but it shouldn't be because there's no soccer to talk about in their own country.

And if FIFA doesn't care, maybe the rest of the world should. I think a country like Nigeria can form a very profitable private league if they would make the effort to structure it properly. It would be capable, financially, of keeping the vast majority of Nigerian players at home and save them from the oft-numerated ordeals they face in foreign lands. Another version would be to form regional leagues in Africa where West Africa can serve as a pilot. Under this arrangement, participating countries would have one to three teams in the league owned by private individuals or consortium playing in conditions that are not severely inferior to those that apply in Europe. With this, good marketing and television, football could again be revived here.
Bell

EII, this may not be the direction you want this thread to take, but the thought that local players are being groomed ultimately to end up in Europe is what struck me from my reading it)
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Bell wrote:THIS STUDY FOCUSES ON NIGERIA, BUT...

...it's more or less what goes on regarding soccer in much of the world outside of the Big 5. Even in the great soccer-playing nations of S. America and E. Europe. Kid's growing up who "state often that their ultimate career goal is to play in Europe." I understand their aspirations and I would too if I was in their shoes.

The scandal here is that FIFA which loves to publicize the game as the world's game allows this to continue. Have they even thought about it being or are they too comfortable with the present order of things to notice? How often, for example, did the Nigerian fans see JayJay or Kanu play in person? We can ask the same about Messi/Argentina and even the mighty Ronaldo/Portugal. Even if there's a level playing field I wouldn't mind players moving from their country to others, but it shouldn't be because there's no soccer to talk about in their own country.

And if FIFA doesn't care, maybe the rest of the world should. I think a country like Nigeria can form a very profitable private league if they would make the effort to structure it properly. It would be capable, financially, of keeping the vast majority of Nigerian players at home and save them from the oft-numerated ordeals they face in foreign lands. Another version would be to form regional leagues in Africa where West Africa can serve as a pilot. Under this arrangement, participating countries would have one to three teams in the league owned by private individuals or consortium playing in conditions that are not severely inferior to those that apply in Europe. With this, good marketing and television, football could again be revived here.
Bell

EII, this may not be the direction you want this thread to take, but the thought that local players are being groomed ultimately to end up in Europe is what struck me from my reading it)
Bell,

What you point to is one of the drawbacks of increased globalization. It isn't just the point of players being groomed for Europe but also that as the televised focus is increasingly Europe, the rest of the leagues become increasingly competition among farm clubs for Europe's clubs. These things are already taking place.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Bell

It is not the business of FIFA or other countries to ensure countries like Nigeria form a profitable and sustainable league.

In any case, FIFA has done all that it can without infringing on the individual rights of a player and his family to make the decision they consider in their best interest.

The long term solution is for countries to build their domestic leagues. That is the real issue. The exodus, by itself is not the real issue. Young players leave from North Africa, and have been doing so long before the Nigerian migration started. But it has not stopped them from maintaining a decent league.

The failure is entirely ours.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Enugu II wrote:
There is a widely-held belief that players who choose to go through a Nigerian Football Academy, compared to those who play in Nigeria's top elite league, end up making it to teams in the Top Five European Leagues i.e. England, Spain, Germany, Italy, and France.
Most of the transferees to Europe end up in Scandinavia, Belgium, or East European countries. Those destinations, essentially, serve as a bridge to get to quality destinations. It is a route often used by academy players who are able to get into Europe more easily because their declared ages are often within the range where there is no immediate pressure to play for the senior squad of European clubs. Instead, they may start from the B squads or even club academies in Europe.
For details, including data, click on link below:

http://eaglecity.blogspot.com/2018/04/w ... it-to.html

That there is the crux of the matter.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

Enugu II wrote:

Bell

Bell,

What you point to is one of the drawbacks of increased globalization. It isn't just the point of players being groomed for Europe but also that as the televised focus is increasingly Europe, the rest of the leagues become increasingly competition among farm clubs for Europe's clubs. These things are already taking place.
enuguii, REFER TO THE HIGHLIGHTED

This absolutely should not the case. Countries outside those five cannot sit around and see this take place. They need to take steps to develop individual national leagues or regional alliances that would be a success with TV.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

txj wrote:

Bell

It is not the business of FIFA or other countries to ensure countries like Nigeria form a profitable and sustainable league.

In any case, FIFA has done all that it can without infringing on the individual rights of a player and his family to make the decision they consider in their best interest.

The long term solution is for countries to build their domestic leagues. That is the real issue. The exodus, by itself is not the real issue. Young players leave from North Africa, and have been doing so long before the Nigerian migration started. But it has not stopped them from maintaining a decent league.

txj, IT'S FIFA'S RESPONSIBILITY TO DEVELOP NATIONAL OR REGIONAL LEAGUES, BUT...

...in as much as FIFA is the custodian of world soccer interested with the growth and dominant status of soccer in world sports, they should be alarmed with this development. They can't afford a hands-off approach. Failure to do so may enable other sports to creep closer to soccer. No one expects FIFA to go to individual nations to establish thriving league but there are other legitimate ways to correct this situation, such as goading their national members or putting out ideas. Just as they are doing with their China and Indian initiatives to promote soccer in the two most populated countries. Individual countries or regions can then establish their own leagues.
Bell
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Bell wrote:
txj wrote:

Bell

...in as much as FIFA is the custodian of world soccer interested with the growth and dominant status of soccer in world sports, they should be alarmed with this development. They can't afford a hands-off approach. Failure to do so may enable other sports to creep closer to soccer. No one expects FIFA to go to individual nations to establish thriving league but there are other legitimate ways to correct this situation, such as goading their national members or putting out ideas. Just as they are doing with their China and Indian initiatives to promote soccer in the two most populated countries. Individual countries or regions can then establish their own leagues.
Bell
Oga Bell, what would this entail? Unfortunately, the cat is already out of the bag and I agree with Tjx that you would infringe the right of free movement and employment if you force players to remain in their countries to develop their leagues. The status quo is a major problem without any easy solutions.

E2, do you think the location of the Nigerian agents and their contacts has an effect on the destination of these players? Based on my mere sky high observation, there appears to be trends of specific destinations that our players take in different eras. It was Belgium for a while starting around Keshi's time, and then for a bit it was in Norway and scandinavia, recently, there has been an influx in Turkey. Is there any indication that these these destinations are primarily driven by agents?
Last edited by metalalloy on Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

metalalloy wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:

Bell

Bell
Oga Bell, what would this entail? Unfortunately, the cat is already out of the bag and I agree with Tjx that you would infringe the right of free movement and employment if you force players to remain in their countries to develop their leagues. The status quo is a major problem without any easy solutions.

E2, do you think the location of the Nigerian agents and their contacts has an effect on the destination of these players? Based on my mere sky high observation, there appears to be trends of specific destinations that our players take in different era. It was Belgium for a while starting around Keshi's time, and then for a bit it was in Norway and scandinavia, recently, there has been an influx in Turkey. Is there any indication that these these destinations are primarily driven by agents?

metalalloy,

There's no desire on my part to restrict the movement of players. As a matter of fact, even if there are thriving leagues around the world, I'd still like to see some player movement, just to spice things up.

Players today move to Europe for the money and playing environment/conditions. The domestic or regional league (I prefer the regional) I'm proposing would be a substantial improvement over current conditions even if it's not quite on par with the Big 5. This would be enough to make this people voluntarily stay close to home. Even more so when you consider the treatment some of the non-white players are subjected to and the fact that they would now not have to abandon families, friends and familiar environment. And think of the impact on the national team - travel, scouting, camping, visibility, etc.
Bell
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

metalalloy wrote:
Bell wrote:
txj wrote:

Bell

Bell

E2, do you think the location of the Nigerian agents and their contacts has an effect on the destination of these players? Based on my mere sky high observation, there appears to be trends of specific destinations that our players take in different era. It was Belgium for a while starting around Keshi's time, and then for a bit it was in Norway and scandinavia, recently, there has been an influx in Turkey. Is there any indication that these these destinations are primarily driven by agents?
Metalalloy,

I believe that location and perhaps some sort of relationship with clubs will affect destination of the agent's player. However, I have no data to support those claims but I feel strong about the claim that you made. This is why, I also do not think that it is always the best players that go to the best clubs because player movements may be significantly influenced by agent factors.