WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Post by metalalloy »

olu wrote:It's doesn't paint a clear picture to say the 94 set didn't win much. Westerhof fielded a B or C team in most of the friendlies we played before the 94 world cup, with the exception of the game against Georgia. In addition, like others mentioned, most of our regulars did not play in the US Gold Cup in 95.

Also, the 94-98 set would probably have won the 96 and 98 ANC if Nigeria featured in both tournaments. Remember Abacha pulled us out of the 96 ANC, while a CAF suspension prevented us from taking part in the 98 ANC. From 94-99, the Super Eagles were widely regarded as the best team in Africa, and we had more players in top European teams than any other country in Africa.
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
metalalloy wrote:
john12 wrote:1994 team is overrated. They lost almost all games prior to 1994 World Cup and also lost 2 games at the World Cup. If you honestly think nothing less than 6 players wouldn’t make that team then you’re a novice

OK. You don talk am, so it must be so. You want a cookie now?

I'll contribute a whole box of Cabin Biscuits.
Ive made this point in previous pages. You are wasting your time sir.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

olu wrote:It's doesn't paint a clear picture to say the 94 set didn't win much. Westerhof fielded a B or C team in most of the friendlies we played before the 94 world cup, with the exception of the game against Georgia. In addition, like others mentioned, most of our regulars did not play in the US Gold Cup in 95.

Also, the 94-98 set would probably have won the 96 and 98 ANC if Nigeria featured in both tournaments. Remember Abacha pulled us out of the 96 ANC, while a CAF suspension prevented us from taking part in the 98 ANC. From 94-99, the Super Eagles were widely regarded as the best team in Africa, and we had more players in top European teams than any other country in Africa.
vs Romania?

Squads
05/05/1994, Stockholm, 19000
Friendly International
SWEDEN 3 (Stefan Schwarz 3', Henrik Larsson 42', Klas Ingesson 78')
NIGERIA 1 (Joseph Odegbami 78')
Sweden: Lars Eriksson, Roland Nilsson, Patrik Andersson (J. Eriksson 46'),
Joachim Björklund, Mikael Nilsson, Henrik Larsson (Jesper Blomqvist 66'),
Jonas Thern, Stefan Schwarz, Klas Ingesson, Martin Dahlin
(Magnus Erlingmark 79'), Kennet Andersson (Niclas Kindvall 56').
Nigeria: Alloysius Agu, Nduka Ugbade, Ben Iroha (Taribo West 61'), Uchenna Okafor,
Stephen Keshi, Finidi George (Emmanuel Okocha 46'), Thompson Oliha
(Joseph Odegbami 46'), Augustine Eguavoen (Issac Semitoje 46'),
Edema Fuludu, Sunday Daniels (Karibe Ojigwe 68'), Nwankwo Kanu.
Referee: Patrick Kelly (Ireland).
Coaches: Sweden: Tommy Svensson.
Nigeria: Clemens Westerhof (Netherlands).

25/05/1994, Bucureşti, Steaua, 13000
Friendly International
ROMANIA 2 (Ilie Dumitrescu 22', Dan Petrescu 49')
NIGERIA 0
Romania: Bogdan Stelea (Florian Prunea 76'), Dan Petrescu, Gheorghe Mihali
(Daniel Prodan 71'), Miodrag Belodedici, Constantin Gâlcă, Basarab Panduru,
Gheorghe Popescu [c], Ioan Lupescu (Ovidiu Stîngă 31'), Ilie Dumitrescu
(Corneliu Papură 81'), Radu Niculescu (Iulian Chiriţă 62'), Marian Ivan
(Viorel Moldovan 52').
Nigeria: Peter Rufai, Augustine Eguavoen, Uchenna Okafor, Stephen Keshi [c],
Ben Iroha, Sunday Oliseh (Thompson Oliha 52'), Samson Siasia,
Augustine 'Jay-Jay' Okocha (Mutiu Adepoju 52' (Nwankwo Kanu 85')),
Tijani Babangida (Finidi George 54'), Emmanuel Amunike, Victor Ikpeba.
Referee: Vasilios Nikakis (Greece).
Coaches: Romania: Anghel Iordănescu.
Nigeria: Clemens Westerhof (Netherlands).

11/06/1994, Ibadan, Liberty Stadium, 9000
Friendly International
NIGERIA 5 (Rashidi Yekini 11', 43', Samson Siasia 58', 60', Mutiu Adepoju 85')
GEORGIA 1 (Revaz Arveladze 12')
Nigeria: Peter Rufai (Wilfred Agbonavbare), Chidi Nwanu (Augustine Eguavoen),
Emeka Ezeugo (Michael Emenalo), Uche Okechukwu (Issac Semitoje),
Stephen Keshi (Uchenna Okafor), Finidi George (Tijani Babangida),
Sunday Oliseh (Efan Ekoku), Augustine 'Jay-Jay' Okocha (Mutiu Adepoju),
Emmanuel Amunike (Victor Ikpeba), Rashidi Yekini (Samson Siasia),
Daniel Amokachi.
Georgia: Irakli Zoidze (?. Grikashvili 75'), Besik Beradze,
Kakhaber Tskhadadze, Murtaz Shelia (Nugzar Lobzhanidze 46'),
?. Dishkariani, Dimitri Kudinov (?. Janashia 65'),
Georgi Nemsadze, Gocha Jamarauli, Revaz Arveladze,
Georgi Kinkladze, Archil Arveladze (Gela Inalishvili 78').
Referee: Oluferni Orimson Olaniyan (Nigeria).
Coaches: Nigeria: Clemens Westerhof (Netherlands).
Georgia: Aleksandr Chivadze.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Just as I'm sure the same people who are overating the 1994 squad purely on sentiment and our first time on the big stage, will probably hide their heads in the sand when they are reminded that the same team plus the improved and added stars of 1996 that now formed the new Super Super Eagles conceded 9 goals in three games. 0-1 Germany, 1-5 Holland, 0-3 Yugoslavia. Whether or not they were "throwing" these games is besides the point. Eighteen goals in six games with three goalkeepers is just not a good record. Willy 2, Rufai & Omo Alhaja (Baruwa).

When you add the World Cup performance to it, there is no basis to call this team great. They conceded nine goals again against Paraguay, Spain and Denmark. If Africa"s low standard at the 1994 ANC is the basis of measurement, great, they were a GOOD TEAM. But please let's not attempt to fool or deceive anyone by saying that between 1994-98, winning three potential ANC's would have made this team a world beater. They were not.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

nzeogwu wrote:Just as I'm sure the same people who are overating the 1994 squad purely on sentiment and our first time on the big stage, will probably hide their heads in the sand when they are reminded that the same team plus the improved and added stars of 1996 that now formed the new Super Super Eagles conceded 9 goals in three games. 0-1 Germany, 1-5 Holland, 0-3 Yugoslavia. Whether or not they were "throwing" these games is besides the point. Eighteen goals in six games with three goalkeepers is just not a good record. Willy 2, Rufai & Omo Alhaja (Baruwa).

When you add the World Cup performance to it, there is no basis to call this team great. They conceded nine goals again against Paraguay, Spain and Denmark. If Africa"s low standard at the 1994 ANC is the basis of measurement, great, they were a GOOD TEAM. But please let's not attempt to fool or deceive anyone by saying that between 1994-98, winning three potential ANC's would have made this team a world beater. They were not.

Few things.
1. The 1994 squad did not play against Paraguay, Spain or Denmark.
2. The friendlies you referred to above occurred 4 years after the 1994 world cup.
3. The 1994 Squad was not the 1998 Squad.
4. The crux of the Olympic winning team in 1996 including the "added stars" were on the 1994 World cup squad.
5. This topic is specifically about which current players could make the 1994 squad. Everything else you people keep throwing in is a red herring.
6. Try to understand the different squads being discussed.
7. Who is arguing they were "world beaters"?

Thank you.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

nzeogwu wrote:Just as I'm sure the same people who are overating the 1994 squad purely on sentiment and our first time on the big stage, will probably hide their heads in the sand when they are reminded that the same team plus the improved and added stars of 1996 that now formed the new Super Super Eagles conceded 9 goals in three games. 0-1 Germany, 1-5 Holland, 0-3 Yugoslavia. Whether or not they were "throwing" these games is besides the point. Eighteen goals in six games with three goalkeepers is just not a good record. Willy 2, Rufai & Omo Alhaja (Baruwa).

Why stop there? Why not call the present team “the 2014 WC team (plus 2016 Olympics stars)”? :roll:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

metalalloy wrote:

Few things.
1. The 1994 squad did not play against Paraguay, Spain or Denmark.
2. The friendlies you referred to above occurred 4 years after the 1994 world cup.
3. The 1994 Squad was not the 1998 Squad.
4. The crux of the Olympic winning team in 1996 including the "added stars" were on the 1994 World cup squad.
5. This topic is specifically about which current players could make the 1994 squad. Everything else you people keep throwing in is a red herring.
6. Try to understand the different squads being discussed.
7. Who is arguing they were "world beaters"?

Thank you.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

I USUALLY DON'T CARE MUCH ABOUT THREADS WITH HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS LIKE THIS, BUT...

...this is an exception. I like the subject.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

ONE GOOD THING ABOUT THIS THREAD IS THAT...

...it keeps the millennials away. Most of them think soccer started 20 years ago.
Bell
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

AS FOR ME...

...not too many from the 2018 would make the 94 squad. The ones I'd consider are Obi, V. Moses and Ndidi, hardly any of which would start.

Some have said not too many played for top Euro clubs which sounds like a comment by a millennial because world soccer was less integrated then and Africans were the last to become part of it. I've often said JayJay would not be out of place in selection of 10 other players in the world, something I cannot say of any player today. Oliseh, Finidi, and Amunike went to play for important clubs later.

Someone said the 94 team's success was due to the fact they were hardly known by Europeans; what that analysis ignores is that the '94 team themselves knew little of the Europeans.

For those who are doubting the superiority of the 94 team, ask yourself two questions?

1) How many of today's players will you remember for their ability 10 years from now? (a few weeks ago, a non-Nigerian soccer friend told me he didn't know a single Nigerian player, until he watched Chelsea and saw Moses)
2) Which of these teams would you rather pay to watch?

The answer to both questions will tell which is superior.
Bell
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Most people here are suffering from “first time syndrome” the 1994 team were obviously a good team but to say no one in our present team will make that 1994 team is a lie. We cannot keep adulating a team that lost the same set of games as our 1998 and 2014 team. In addition to it, none of that 1994 team set ablaze any world class team with Superlative performances consistently prior to 1994 team. Before we overhype that 1994 let’s states fact

1, they lost all games except Georgia prior to World Cup
2, The lost 2 games at the main World Cup please don’t give me moral victory nonsense
3, None of them were setting ablaze a world class team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, man utd etc in 1994. Infact, it was after that World Cup that the likes of Finidi transfered to ajax

Statistically speaking, our present team is better than that 1994 World Cup but individually 1994 team wins. However, I believe that at least 6 players presently will make that 1994 team. We need to step our game up and stop celebrating mediocrity
Last edited by john12 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Mr Nell, your claim that few players from this present team will make our 1994 squad and only Mikel, ndidi, and Moses might be considered but won’t start are pure fiction! I disagree. Do you realize that a player like Moses and Mikel are Epl, Champions league, Uefa Cup, African nations cup, Facup and carling cup winners in 2018 and In comparison to our 1994 team no player whatsoever had such VICTORIOUS resume. Infact, only Finidi George from that 1994 team achieved similar results. so, let’s clarify one factor, MIKEL and MOSES will walk into that 1994 team as pure starters. Now, the likes Of iheanacho, Iwobi, Ndidi Ahmed Musa, all has better CV and are playing for much better clubs than some of those guys in 1994 we should also realize that these lads are still youngsters therefore, Maximum potential hasn’t been reached but in comparison to some of our 1994 players, these trio are better. A player like iheanacho has 8 goals in 14 games for Nigeria and experience at Big clubs like Man city, Leicester City all at the age of 21. Tell me who in 1994 squad had the same resume?? Similar references and resume to Iwobi and Ahmed Musa. As for me,

1, Mikel Obi
2, Victor Moses
3, Vincent Enyeama are PURE STARTERS while

4, Ndidi
5, iheanacho
6, Ahmed Musa will make the 23 of that Team.

We can argue and agree to disagree but one factor to always remember is that STATISTICS never LIE. We should back our opinions with STATISTICS and not Emotions. 1994 team were obviously a good team but weren’t GREAT and we should stop adulating them like they won a World Cup or even Made a quarter final appearance. Their highest achievement was a round of 16 performance and 1 nations cup which has been matched by our 1998 and 2014 team so we should just keep calm and hope that our 2018 team can break records.

Also, Mr Dell to answer your questions
1, its easier speaking from hindsight and in retrospect so we won’t know how many SE from this present team will be remembered 10 years from now but there’s nothing those 1994 team achieved that the likes of Mikel, Moses and Enyeama hasn’t achieved or upcoming stars like ndidi, iwobi, Musa

2, I will rather watch 1994 team because I think overall they were a slightly better team than this present one but the question is in comparison to set of “players” in 1994 vs 2018 not the overall team and also the comparison won’t be complete until World Cup is over
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

This obsession with the 1994 team is getting unhealthy. They won a grand total of one trophy and "peaked" by getting to the second round of the World Cup. The Bredas and Cameroonians must be laughing at us talking about "our greatest team" when they had teams that got to the World Cup quarter-final and won back to back AFCON titles.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

wiseone wrote:This obsession with the 1994 team is getting unhealthy. They won a grand total of one trophy and "peaked" by getting to the second round of the World Cup. The Bredas and Cameroonians must be laughing at us talking about "our greatest team" when they had teams that got to the World Cup quarter-final and won back to back AFCON titles.
wise one, they still are our greatest team though so I'm not sure why the obsession should stop. Do the Cameroonians not still talk of the 90 team? If those countries greatest teams won more than ours, that shouldn't stop us from talking of our greatest team until we get another generation who surpass them.
The 2013 team equalled the 94 team in achievements but no one is going to remember their style and panache like the 94 team.

It isn't unhealthy. It simply shows that we're not as great as we wish, and we have to get a team to surpass that 94 team in achievements and in style.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

Bell wrote: Some have said not too many played for top Euro clubs which sounds like a comment by a millennial because world soccer was less integrated then and Africans were the last to become part of it. I've often said JayJay would not be out of place in selection of 10 other players in the world, something I cannot say of any player today. Oliseh, Finidi, and Amunike went to play for important clubs later.
john12 wrote: 1, they lost all games except Georgia prior to World Cup
2, The list 2 games at the main World Cup please don’t give me moral victory nonsense
3, None of them were setting ablaze a world class team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, man utd etc in 1994. Infact, it was after that World Cup that the likes of Finidi transfered to ajax
Finidi George transfered to Ajax in 1993 and won the Eredivisie before the World Cup.
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

The irony is that the 1994 team was not even Nigeria's best ever team (I think the 1998 team was more experienced and refined). The 1994 team were a strange mix of players coming to the end of their careers and players just on the cusp of "making it". By 1998 half the team were at their peak and had 3 African footballers of the year in the team.
platinum wrote:
wise one, they still are our greatest team though so I'm not sure why the obsession should stop. Do the Cameroonians not still talk of the 90 team? If those countries greatest teams won more than ours, that shouldn't stop us from talking of our greatest team until we get another generation who surpass them.
The 2013 team equalled the 94 team in achievements but no one is going to remember their style and panache like the 94 team.

It isn't unhealthy. It simply shows that we're not as great as we wish, and we have to get a team to surpass that 94 team in achievements and in style.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

wiseone wrote:The irony is that the 1994 team was not even Nigeria's best ever team (I think the 1998 team was more experienced and refined). The 1994 team were a strange mix of players coming to the end of their careers and players just on the cusp of "making it". By 1998 half the team were at their peak and had 3 African footballers of the year in the team.
platinum wrote:

The 98 team had more potential, yes. They have the distinction of being Nigeria's biggest underachievers WRT talent level, they gave us an embarrassing world cup exit and won nothing on the continent. I rate the 94 team higher.
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

That this DOA thread reached six pages, is a testament to unnecessary football rantings.
Trying to compare football eras and personnel is quite a waste of time, except ranters want
to add that the sport is stagnant.
Anyway, since opinions on the issue are subjective, let the rantings continue.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

joao wrote:That this DOA thread reached six pages, is a testament to unnecessary football rantings.
Trying to compare football eras and personnel is quite a waste of time, except ranters want
to add that the sport is stagnant.
Anyway, since opinions on the issue are subjective, let the rantings continue.

And your "contribution" has almost pushed us to page 7. Well done. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

platinum wrote:
wiseone wrote:The irony is that the 1994 team was not even Nigeria's best ever team (I think the 1998 team was more experienced and refined). The 1994 team were a strange mix of players coming to the end of their careers and players just on the cusp of "making it". By 1998 half the team were at their peak and had 3 African footballers of the year in the team.
platinum wrote:

The 98 team had more potential, yes. They have the distinction of being Nigeria's biggest underachievers WRT talent level, they gave us an embarrassing world cup exit and won nothing on the continent. I rate the 94 team higher.
What was there to win in 1998 apart from WC?
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

My apologies. The question is who would make the 1994 team. Actually, with the exception of Okechukwu, Yekini, Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh and Amokachi, none of the others from the 1994 team would make the current team in a 4-2-3-1.

As for who would make the 1994 team:

Troost Ekong
Mikel
Ndidi
Vic Mo

I still maintain that the current team is statistically superior, individually inferior and will go further. It also has a deeper bench. Semitoje, Oliha, Agu, Agbonavbare, Ekoku, Emenalo, Eguavoen would not make this squad.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Nzeogwu Iheanacho and Iwobi will make that 1994 team while Mikel, Moses are pure starters no if or but. Some clown even said that if we were going to play with three midfielders he would rather ADEPOJU Athan MIKEL. What sort of nonsense we see on CE
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

john12 wrote:Most people here are suffering from “first time syndrome” the 1994 team were obviously a good team but to say no one in our present team will make that 1994 team is a lie. We cannot keep adulating a team that lost the same set of games as our 1998 and 2014 team. In addition to it, none of that 1994 team set ablaze any world class team with Superlative performances consistently prior to 1994 team. Before we overhype that 1994 let’s states fact

1, they lost all games except Georgia prior to World Cup
2, The lost 2 games at the main World Cup please don’t give me moral victory nonsense

Statistically speaking, our present team is better than that 1994 World Cup but individually 1994 team wins. However, I believe that at least 6 players presently will make that 1994 team. We need to step our game up and stop celebrating mediocrity
Apart from being misinformed on Finidi...
How many of the present team are “setting ablaze a world class team like Barcelona, Real Madrid, man Utd etc”? :oops:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

nzeogwu wrote:My apologies. The question is who would make the 1994 team. Actually, with the exception of Okechukwu, Yekini, Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh and Amokachi, none of the others from the 1994 team would make the current team in a 4-2-3-1.

As for who would make the 1994 team:

Troost Ekong
Mikel
Ndidi
Vic Mo

I still maintain that the current team is statistically superior, individually inferior and will go further. It also has a deeper bench. Semitoje, Oliha, Agu, Agbonavbare, Ekoku, Emenalo, Eguavoen would not make this squad.
Dude, Troost-Ekong cannot carry 1994 WC reserve Uche Okafor’s jockstrap...
Uche Okafor was a FOOTBALLER who can actually pass out of defense and not just hoof it upfield.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL