WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Post by Gotti »

platinum wrote:
wiseone wrote:This obsession with the 1994 team is getting unhealthy. They won a grand total of one trophy and "peaked" by getting to the second round of the World Cup. The Bredas and Cameroonians must be laughing at us talking about "our greatest team" when they had teams that got to the World Cup quarter-final and won back to back AFCON titles.
wise one, they still are our greatest team though so I'm not sure why the obsession should stop. Do the Cameroonians not still talk of the 90 team? If those countries greatest teams won more than ours, that shouldn't stop us from talking of our greatest team until we get another generation who surpass them.
The 2013 team equalled the 94 team in achievements but no one is going to remember their style and panache like the 94 team.

It isn't unhealthy. It simply shows that we're not as great as we wish, and we have to get a team to surpass that 94 team in achievements and in style.
Abegi tell am... :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

wiseone wrote:The irony is that the 1994 team was not even Nigeria's best ever team (I think the 1998 team was more experienced and refined). The 1994 team were a strange mix of players coming to the end of their careers and players just on the cusp of "making it". By 1998 half the team were at their peak and had 3 African footballers of the year in the team.
The 1998 was a crap TEAM...
Unless you regard any assemblage of players for a team.

The SE had little real competitive activity between the 1994 WC and 1996 (apart from hurriedly cobbled together squads for the aforementioned US Cup, the King Fahd Cup and something called the Afro-Asian Cup), with a veritable revolving door of coaches by the time the 1998 WC came around - Bonfrere (took the money and ran), Alberto Torres (met the NFA and ran away), Shaibu Amodu (2x), Philippe Troussier (with his 3-5-2 dross) and finally Bora Multivitamin. Added to the last-minute befuddling inclusion of the over-the-hill gang of Yekini, Eguavoen and Iroha (who had not played football all season and was actually on a trial with DC United when he was called up), the team had glaring deficiencies at the GK and RB positions following injuries to Ike Shorunmu and Jero Shakpoke (whose readiness for the big stage was actually never really tested), major disciplinary issues and included the glaring walking wounded in Kanu and Amokachi.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

Gotti wrote:
nzeogwu wrote:My apologies. The question is who would make the 1994 team. Actually, with the exception of Okechukwu, Yekini, Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh and Amokachi, none of the others from the 1994 team would make the current team in a 4-2-3-1.

As for who would make the 1994 team:

Troost Ekong
Mikel
Ndidi
Vic Mo

I still maintain that the current team is statistically superior, individually inferior and will go further. It also has a deeper bench. Semitoje, Oliha, Agu, Agbonavbare, Ekoku, Emenalo, Eguavoen would not make this squad.
Dude, Troost-Ekong cannot carry 1994 WC reserve Uche Okafor’s jockstrap...
Uche Okafor was a FOOTBALLER who can actually pass out of defense and not just hoof it upfield.
Gotti, na wa for small pickins for here o...

Comparing Troost Ekong with Uche Okafor, ke... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who is ranking Emenalo alongside Semitoje..?
Emenalo was the best CB in Nigeria in 1985 (ran the great Keshi close in that period); education abroad stymied his career...it is a testament to his ability that he was able to bounce back to make the 1994 squad (almost a decade later)...

Emenalo was an absolute baller...you guys just think 9ja football began in the 90's..?
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
eyan
Egg
Egg

Post by eyan »

FATHER TIKO wrote:
Gotti wrote:
nzeogwu wrote:My apologies. The question is who would make the 1994 team. Actually, with the exception of Okechukwu, Yekini, Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh and Amokachi, none of the others from the 1994 team would make the current team in a 4-2-3-1.

As for who would make the 1994 team:

Troost Ekong
Mikel
Ndidi
Vic Mo

I still maintain that the current team is statistically superior, individually inferior and will go further. It also has a deeper bench. Semitoje, Oliha, Agu, Agbonavbare, Ekoku, Emenalo, Eguavoen would not make this squad.
Dude, Troost-Ekong cannot carry 1994 WC reserve Uche Okafor’s jockstrap...
Uche Okafor was a FOOTBALLER who can actually pass out of defense and not just hoof it upfield.
Gotti, na wa for small pickins for here o...

Comparing Troost Ekong with Uche Okafor, ke... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Who is ranking Emenalo alongside Semitoje..?
Emenalo was the best CB in Nigeria in 1985 (ran the great Keshi close in that period); education abroad stymied his career...it is a testament to his ability that he was able to bounce back to make the 1994 squad (almost a decade later)...

Emenalo was an absolute baller...you guys just think 9ja football began in the 90's..?
Emenalo might be a great baller in 85 but not in 94.
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Father Tiko, the conversations and opinions are welcomed. The insults are not. Especially to your elders.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

It appears many of the younger folk miss the point of the thread. It is a simply a man-for-man comparison of the starters or presumed starters on each team. Indeed, the 2018 set is a new generation and have opportunity and history beckoning in Russia(though they have several advantages that the 1994 set did not have).Granted, some nostalgia may come into play, but that generation earned its golden appellation through virtuoso performances and swagger, and are responsible for the reputation that Nigerian football has gained worldwide.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Obong wrote:It appears many of the younger folk miss the point of the thread. It is a simply a man-for-man comparison of the starters or presumed starters on each team. Indeed, the 2018 set is a new generation and have opportunity and history beckoning in Russia(though they have several advantages that the 1994 set did not have).Granted, some nostalgia may come into play, but that generation earned its golden appellation through virtuoso performances and swagger, and are responsible for the reputation that Nigerian football has gained worldwide.
Obong,

Pound for pound, it is just difficult to see several of the current lads displacing players from the 1994 set. To me, the strength of the current XI is in their team work and not necessarily in their individual abilities. Only a few of the current players can compete on individual ability with the 1994 team in my opinion.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
FATHER TIKO
Egg
Egg

Post by FATHER TIKO »

nzeogwu wrote:Father Tiko, the conversations and opinions are welcomed. The insults are not. Especially to your elders.
Oga Nzeogwu, no vex, where's the insult for my comment, nah..?

"Small pickins"..? Ah, that na figurative expression, nah... :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I just dey question how anyone who watched our 1994 set could rate Troost Ekong capable of displacing any CB in that set...
"...Some say football is not a matter of life and death;
I can assure you it's more important than that..."
- Bill Shankly
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Father Tiko, I de pull your legs now. God bless you all. I wish we were all entitled to the same level of free speech without repercussions in Naija. The various points of contributory opinions push all of us and thus the team. I love this forum