WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

john12
Egg
Egg
Re: WHICH SUPER EAGLES PLAYERS WOULD MAKE THE 1994 SQUAD?

Post by john12 »

Once again, you guys are overhyping those 1994 set of players idolizing them to goddess status. First of all, let’s understand that prior to 1994 World Cup most of them were fairly unknown players in the World scheme and most likely became popular after that World Cup. Also, their highest achievement was (Round of 16) which means that they were only Decent and not Great. To me, I believe that based on Statistics, Form and Best day performance, The likes of Mikel, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Moses, Iwobi and Ahmed Musa will make the team. The likes of Mikel, Moses are bonafide starters while the aforementioned 4 players will supplement our Bench.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

john12 wrote:Once again, you guys are overhyping those 1994 set of players idolizing them to goddess status. First of all, let’s understand that prior to 1994 World Cup most of them were fairly unknown players in the World scheme and most likely became popular after that World Cup. Also, their highest achievement was (Round of 16) which means that they were only Decent and not Great. To me, I believe that based on Statistics, Form and Best day performance, The likes of Mikel, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Moses, Iwobi and Ahmed Musa will make the team. The likes of Mikel, Moses are bonafide starters while the aforementioned 4 players will supplement our Bench.

Come back and talk after puberty don hit. :lol:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

john12 wrote:Once again, you guys are overhyping those 1994 set of players idolizing them to goddess status. First of all, let’s understand that prior to 1994 World Cup most of them were fairly unknown players in the World scheme and most likely became popular after that World Cup. Also, their highest achievement was (Round of 16) which means that they were only Decent and not Great. To me, I believe that based on Statistics, Form and Best day performance, The likes of Mikel, Ndidi, Iheanacho, Moses, Iwobi and Ahmed Musa will make the team. The likes of Mikel, Moses are bonafide starters while the aforementioned 4 players will supplement our Bench.
You are wildin...they were all that and a bag a of chips, just the sheer individual ability of each of our 94 players was incredible. Even our defenders (Uche esp., Egu was the weakest at this though) could hold on to the ball and pick passes...ask Ekong and Balogun to do that now and see how many goals we would chop...even some of our midfielders struggle with these basics like Ndidi you speak of is not comfortable with the ball at his feet, thats one of the staples of the 94 team, not just gra gra but ability on the ball is necessary to be on the team.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Mettalboy you’re speaking on emotions while I am on facts, data etc. when you’re ready to provide database statistics then we can discuss. Until then na just emotions
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

They were so great that their highest achievement was a Round of 16 and a nations cup win?? None of them were setting WORLD CLASS teams ablaze in 1994 or even playing week in and out for a WORLD CLASS team. Yet, you guys are holding them to a pedestal. I understand that we love to adore the guys that “did it first” but common, let’analyze with pure judgement and disregard emotions. Individually 1994 team were good but to say nothing less than 6 players will make that team is a PURE LIE.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

john12 wrote:Mettalboy you’re speaking on emotions while I am on facts, data etc. when you’re ready to provide database statistics then we can discuss. Until then na just emotions
First of all, let’s understand that prior to 1994 World Cup most of them were fairly unknown players in the World scheme and most likely became popular after that World Cup.
If they were only decent, why did they become popular after that world cup? :rotf: :rotf: How many African players were in Europe pre-1994?
Also, their highest achievement was (Round of 16) which means that they were only Decent and not Great.
Again, you were a zygote when the 1994 played. If you actually WATCHED them play, you wouldn't spout the rubbish you wrote above. Statistics ko. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In fact, sorry, you are right. Carry on.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

john12 wrote:They were so great that their highest achievement was a Round of 16 and a nations cup win?? None of them were setting WORLD CLASS teams ablaze in 1994 or even playing week in and out for a WORLD CLASS team. Yet, you guys are holding them to a pedestal. I understand that we love to adore the guys that “did it first” but common, let’analyze with pure judgement and disregard emotions. Individually 1994 team were good but to say nothing less than 6 players will make that team is a PURE LIE.

:rotf: how many nations cups did they partake in?

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

My guy, I watched them play in 1994 and was obviously impressed with their performance. At that time, they were revered amongst Africans and Nigerians because performances like that never happened prior to 1994. However, let’s also understand that most of those guys were fairly unknown prior to that World Cup and became famous after the World Cup. Our present team has Experienced World Cup players, Premier league winners and WORLD CLASS clubs players therefore, you can’t tell me that nothing less than 6 players wouldn’t get into that 1994 team. Let’s wait until World Cup is over to make a fair judgement
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

They partaked in 1 but there isn’t any evidence that they would had won multiple nations cup. Afterall, from 2000 to 2010 Nigeria got into ANC semi-finals 4 times and Final once. Once again, we should disregard emotions and speak on Database, statistics Etc. 1994 team were obviously good but I’m convinced our present boys has like 6 players that will get into that team
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

john12 wrote:They partaked in 1 but there isn’t any evidence that they would had won multiple nations cup. Afterall, from 2000 to 2010 Nigeria got into ANC semi-finals 4 times and Final once. Once again, we should disregard emotions and speak on Database, statistics Etc. 1994 team were obviously good but I’m convinced our present boys has like 6 players that will get into that team

By 2000 only 5 members of the 1994 squad were at the nations cup (Okocha, Mutiu, Oliseh, Finidi and Ikpeba who shouldn't really count as he was a fringe member in 1994). 1996, they were prevented from defending their title, and in 1998 they were banned. So your point about 1 nations cup makes no sense. They were at their peak in 1994. The 5th ranked team in the world in 1994 was NOT average. They were champions in 94, and the core of the 94 squad (restricted by age), won the Olympics in 1996!!! You mean to tell me that a squad that won the olympics, beat fully stacked Brazil, and Argentina squads at a higher profile tournament would have struggled to defend its African Nations cup title in 1996? :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

However, carry on. You are right. You know what you are talking about. keep on relying on databases and statistics :lol: :lol:

john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

My brother, you’re speaking on hypothetical but we all know is they didn’t. It’s easy to speak on hindsight and in retrospect but at the end of the day, your 1994 team only won 1 nations cup and a round of 16 exit and maybe of them weren’t setting WORLD CLASS teams ablaze. So why do you think I should hold them to a pedestal?
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

john12 wrote:My brother, you’re speaking on hypothetical but we all know is they didn’t. It’s easy to speak on hindsight and in retrospect but at the end of the day, your 1994 team only won 1 nations cup and a round of 16 exit and maybe of them weren’t setting WORLD CLASS teams ablaze. So why do you think I should hold them to a pedestal?
2 minutes away from beating the finalist that only lost on penalty kicks and lost 1 game in regulation all tourney.
Absolutely dismantled the 4th place team.

But Go on :D

Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

maceo4 wrote:
Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Obong wrote:I recently had a friendly argument with one of my good friends, an ardent Super Eagles fan. When we were discussing the abiding influence of the 1994 Super Eagles set, we ended up making the inevitable comparison with the current team. Since the bulk of the famous 1996 Olympic team emerged from the 1994 World Cup team, there is no denying their legendary status in Nigerian football. They are deservedly the gold standard despite only achieving the second round (literally few minutes away from eliminating Italy). So, which of our current players would make the squad of 23, if the current set were available for selection in 1994? In my opinion, only Victor Moses and Captain Mikel (add Enyeama, if he were to be on the team) would make the 1994 team. Even then, they would be hard-pressed to start ahead of more complete or talented starters. For illustration, let me note the presumed starters for each team. My selection for starter for each position will appear in bold. So, who of the 2018 Rohr-led Super Eagles would crash the Westerhof team of 1994?

1994 - 2018

Rufai - Uzoho

Eguavoen - Abdullahi
Iroha (Emenalo) - Idowu
Nwanu - Ekong
Okechukwu - Balogun

Oliseh - Onazi
Okocha - Ndidi
Amokachi - Mikel

Finidi - Moses
Yekini - Ighalo
Amuneke - Iwobi (Simon)
The players that I will add from this year's crop are as follows:

Mikel Obi
Victor Moses
Wilfred Ndidi

That would be it. The rest won't make the 1994 team in my opinion. Both Mikel (for Oliseh) and Victor (for Amuneke) will start as well.
Mikel for Oliseh, BUT VM over Amuneke? Unless you expect your #11 to play wingback. Quietly, Amuneke and Finidi were 2 of our most talented, cerebral (apologies for using this word, not meant to put others down) and highly effective/efficient players. A healthy Amunike all day!!!!
I don't think a Mikel type of player would start over Oliseh because of the sheer amount of donkey work Oliseh had to do to cover for non defending midfielders like JJ. He would gas out after 60 minutes doing the kind of chasing and winning back Oliseh had to do and then give the ball right back to JJ to lose it again lol.
LOL....maybe Mikel for vex slap JJ....nah, never mind...na only Osaze get dat kain liver.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

Which statistics are you talking about?

Maybe Mikel but doubt he will even start in that team.

Let the current team win an ANC and qualify for RD of 16 first.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”
olu
Egg
Egg

Post by olu »

I would Abdullahi over Eguaveon and Moses over Amuneke. I'll go with the 94 starters for the other positions.
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

I’m talking about our current top players statistics compared to our 1994 team statistics prior to that year World Cup. Mikel and MOSES are bonafide starters the likes of iwobi, ndidi, Ihenacho and musa will supplement the bench
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

Yall don't even understand how low Naija footy have fallen lately. MAYBE Iwobi, Moses and Mikel can make the team but not as starters. No one on this current team have the ability of Adepoju not to mention Okocha, Finidi, Oliseh, Yekini, Siasia, Amokachi, and Rafai. Players like Amunike, Ikpeba, Nwanu, Ezeugo, Ekoku, and Okafor can be upgraded but not from the current bunch. Etebo, Musa, and Joel won't even make the preliminary list. Back then players learn the fundamentals and can do the basics right, Musa can't even cross the ball, Ndidi not comfortable with ball at his feet, Iheanacho can't run for 45min, Simon a non factor when game a little physical and they are all close to being starters. They might do well in Russia but 80% of the current set don't appear to be world standard and a good 80% of the 94 set were.
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

Mikel and Ndidi. Tempted to say Victor Moses but he can't hold a candle to Finidi and wouldn't have replaced Amokachi or Amunike.
Maybe Leon Balogun or Ekong as well in defense. Uche Okechukwu was a warrior but Nwanu could probably have been upgraded. Also Eguavoen wasn't the best so maybe Victor Moses at RB?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
platinum
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by platinum »

john12, are you an agent for all these current set?
Evans Bipi, had declared to the press, “Why must [Governor Amaechi] be insulting my mother, my Jesus Christ on earth?”
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Finidi what a G.

[/video]
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

Oscar claims that our present players doesn’t have the abilities of adepoju, oliseh, Siasia, yekini and Amokachi but cannot provide any stats to ascertain his claims. Oscar claims are based on emotions and feelings like some CE members and not fact. Like I said, Atleast 6 players will make that team and 2 will start. Let’s wait until World Cup is over to make a fair conclusion
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

wanaj0 wrote:
Which statistics are you talking about?

Maybe Mikel but doubt he will even start in that team.

Let the current team win an ANC and qualify for RD of 16 first.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Abegi told them!

I was even entertaining his argument out of intellectual curiousity, until I stumbled onto Ahmed Musa! Hate to put any of our players down, but Musa can hardly carry Tijani Babangida's jockstrap and even TJ could not make the 1994 WC squad. Nonetheless, I think that Mikel (who would likely start in some games in stead of Oliha), Victor Moses, Ndidi, and (surprisingly, because we were razor thin at RB, even then) and Shehu Abdullahi likely make the squad.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
oscar52
Egg
Egg

Post by oscar52 »

john12 wrote:Oscar claims that our present players doesn’t have the abilities of adepoju, oliseh, Siasia, yekini and Amokachi but cannot provide any stats to ascertain his claims. Oscar claims are based on emotions and feelings like some CE members and not fact. Like I said, Atleast 6 players will make that team and 2 will start. Let’s wait until World Cup is over to make a fair conclusion
Agent, which stats are you looking for? Can you say convincingly that this team will beat Ethiopia? What about Niger, Seychelles, and Chad? These are countries the 94 set would have schooled on footy.