Michael Oliver: An 'Affirmative Action' Ref

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

txj
Eaglet
Eaglet
Michael Oliver: An 'Affirmative Action' Ref

Post by txj »

Wondered how/why Oliver was appointed to ref the Juve/Madrid game...

Turns out this was an affirmative action decision to help 'grow' a young English ref by assigning him a high profile game.

To be clear, I do not blame him for the PK call. Nothing in his experience could've prepared him for dealing with Madrid's Lucas Vazquez- a well rounded and thoroughbred simulator.

Close watchers of La Liga would know of Vazquez, going back to his loan days with Espanyol.

For me, the events that led to Buffon's red card was in part a product of Oliver's failures, inexperience and general poor management. Oliver is fundamentally a poor ref' although I have to admit he is better than Jon Moss!
Last edited by txj on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Michael Oliver: An Affirmative Action Ref

Post by kajifu »

txj wrote:Wondered how/why Oliver was appointed to ref the Juve/Madrid game...

Turns out this was an affirmative action decision to help 'grow' a young English ref by assigning him a high profile game.

To be clear, I do not blame him for the PK call. Nothing in his experience could've prepared him for dealing with Madrid's Lucas Vazquez- a well rounded and thoroughbred simulator.

Close watchers of La Liga would know of Vazquez, going back to his loan days with Espanyol.

For me, the events that led to Buffon's red card was in part a product of Oliver's failures, inexperience and general poor management. Oliver is fundamentally a poor ref' although I have to admit he is better than Jon Moss!
I think he is the best EPL ref and that speak volume why we will not have any of them at the world cup.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

He's one of England's best. Arguably an indictment.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Best kee ?? He's the same Guy Joe Hart was using his face for a facial.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

He was immaculate in that game. You should go and try officiating a proper game at any level, then come back and call him a poor ref. I don't like or support Real and Ronaldo, but I doff my hat for Michael Oliver strictly based on his performance in that game.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Cally wrote:

He was immaculate in that game. You should go and try officiating a proper game at any level, then come back and call him a poor ref. I don't like or support Real and Ronaldo, but I doff my hat for Michael Oliver strictly based on his performance in that game.
Sometimes it's best not to say anything. I didn't want to contribute to this drivel but you fall my hand.
Txj strikes me as one of those "too know" who think he knows more than those actually doing the job.
When a penalty is awarded, you'd find those who agree and disagree in equal measure.
I think Oliver did a good job. If he was pro Real, he could have disallowed the third goal on pretence that the keeper was impeded.
Considering people like txj have definitely not run the length and breath of the pitch for 90 minutes, making tough calls in a high profile game, it is easy and cowardly to give your expert opinion from the comfort of your settee while destroying someone's reputation by enhancing yours.

Refs make mistakes. Sometimes terrible ones but we should not sit here and think we would have done a better job.
Oliver definitely have some bad days in him, we all do but he handled that game well in my honest opinion.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

It was a PK.

Plain and Simple.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

pajimoh wrote:
Cally wrote:

Sometimes it's best not to say anything. I didn't want to contribute to this drivel but you fall my hand.
Txj strikes me as one of those "too know" who think he knows more than those actually doing the job.
When a penalty is awarded, you'd find those who agree and disagree in equal measure.
I think Oliver did a good job. If he was pro Real, he could have disallowed the third goal on pretence that the keeper was impeded.
Considering people like txj have definitely not run the length and breath of the pitch for 90 minutes, making tough calls in a high profile game, it is easy and cowardly to give your expert opinion from the comfort of your settee while destroying someone's reputation by enhancing yours.

Refs make mistakes. Sometimes terrible ones but we should not sit here and think we would have done a better job.
Oliver definitely have some bad days in him, we all do but he handled that game well in my honest opinion.
You said it all. He handled the game well.
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

Cellular wrote:It was a PK.

Plain and Simple.
Maradona disagrees with you.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
chendosplastic
Egg
Egg

Post by chendosplastic »

chendosplastic wrote:

Plain and Simple.
Maradona disagrees with you.
..the real Maradona, that is, not the gimmick we have here.
"The history book on the shelf is always repeating itself" - ABBA.
"Facts, Logic, truth is the way....stop ranting via emotions; seeing things through the prism of ethnicity is comfortable but ultimately a road to perdition." - airwolex.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Plain and Simple.
Clear penalty. Some people are saying because Juventus tried and it was the last minute, the ref should have overlooked it. 100% penalty.
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

Plain and Simple.

I would not have made that call. The only way I would blow a PK in that game and at the time he did, the defender would have to literally wrestle the opponent to the ground WWF style. Poor judgment.
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

ANC wrote:

Plain and Simple.

I would not have made that call. The only way I would blow a PK in that game and at the time he did, the defender would have to literally wrestle the opponent to the ground WWF style. Poor judgment.
Bros, it was a professional penalty given... he was trying to force the ref to be sentimental and not give it.

Not giving it would have made the ref look like he was emotionally vested in the game.

PK.

Glad it wasn't a blackman who committed the PK. They would have been talking about his intellect/intelligence.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...again, if you hate the English, hate the club from Madrid, and a fan of or leaning to Juventus, you will disagree with the call. No matter how much replays, slo-mo they show :biggrin:

For me it was a clear foul and penalty. Hope it never happen to SE in Russia, because there are players asking for the slightest of touch in the area.
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

I don't like Real but it was clear cut penalty.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

PK or not, the ref, like most English refs, na fake people.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Cellular wrote:
ANC wrote:

Plain and Simple.

Bros, it was a professional penalty given... he was trying to force the ref to be sentimental and not give it.

Not giving it would have made the ref look like he was emotionally vested in the game.

PK.

Glad it wasn't a blackman who committed the PK. They would have been talking about his intellect/intelligence.
Hmmm na African committed that PK ooooh
Orion
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Orion »

airwolex wrote:

Plain and Simple.
Clear penalty. Some people are saying because Juventus tried and it was the last minute, the ref should have overlooked it. 100% penalty.
Yep, clear penalty. People are being swayed by sentiment here over real hard facts. They feel Juventus fought a hard fight to get back level and the last minute penalty was cruel. What they're failing to see is that Real Madrid also worked so hard to get the ball to that scoring position. It would have been cruel on them too if the ref had ignored the fact their player was clearly impeded in the penalty box as he was about to pull the trigger.
"I Think, Therefore I am" - Rene Descartes
juventuss
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by juventuss »

Orion wrote:
airwolex wrote:

Plain and Simple.
Yep, clear penalty. People are being swayed by sentiment here over real hard facts. They feel Juventus fought a hard fight to get back level and the last minute penalty was cruel. What they're failing to see is that Real Madrid also worked so hard to get the ball to that scoring position. It would have been cruel on them too if the ref had ignored the fact their player was clearly impeded in the penalty box as he was about to pull the trigger.
But where was the sentiment for other fouls committed by madrid ? Anyways Oliver has a target on him. He can't go back now.
Ayton Senna wrote:On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' As soon as you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high - Ayton Senna

FORZA JUVE
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

He is my favourite ref. A very fair one at that.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
chuks69
Egg
Egg

Post by chuks69 »

What about Isco clean goal that was wrongly called offside by Oliver's linesman? At the end of the day, all these decisions evens out..
afc##
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

All you people saying it's a pen knows nothing. TXJ knows it all and he disagrees with you simpletons:tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Txj

Honestly, I am beyond shock at your use of affirmative action to describe a referee that you describe as being "helped" to grow and, in essence, allude to the referee's non-qualification for a position to which he had been entrusted. Make no mistake, I am not interested in this referee but in your use of affirmative action as a descriptor. It is an indelibly shocking descriptor to use. In fact, to state that it is shocking is to state the least. May I assume that it is an error on your part?

Here is what affirmatiove action is:

an action or policy favoring those who tend to suffer from discrimination, especially in relation to employment or education; positive discrimination.

Am I to assume that you believe that so many minorities, who are quite qualified, but would have been denied access without this program, are unqualified for positions that they access? Or should I assume that you are unaware what affirmative action is? Why exactly do you use affirmative action to describe this particular individual?
Last edited by Enugu II on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics