Joel Obi Interview

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet
Joel Obi Interview

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

Even though i think OGU fits the SE better I;m still so happy for Joel. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
[/video]
OCCUPY NFF!!
bully12
Egg
Egg
Re: Joel Obi Interview

Post by bully12 »

Enugu 11 and Gotti did you hear it from the horse's mouth . He was not injured in last World Cup , Keshi was absolutely pervading false statement to cover up his depravities and malfeasance . Everybody who watched the last match before Keshi dropped him knew he was 100% fit also performed extremely brilliant in the match. May Keshi's soul rest in peace but all these attempts to cover up his corrupt proclivities is absolutely hilarious and insane.
DIMKA76
Egg
Egg

Post by DIMKA76 »

bully12 wrote:Enugu 11 and Gotti did you hear it from the horse's mouth . He was not injured in last World Cup , Keshi was absolutely pervading false statement to cover up his depravities and malfeasance . Everybody who watched the last match before Keshi dropped him knew he was 100% fit also performed extremely brilliant in the match. May Keshi's soul rest in peace but all these attempts to cover up his corrupt proclivities is absolutely hilarious and insane.
omo did you eat a dictionary? why not tailor your writing to your audience. By that, I mean write simply. Something English politicians do excellently.
WE ARE ALL TOGETHER!!
Flex Swift
Egg
Egg

Post by Flex Swift »

So he wasn’t injured..... Keshi just decided to take Reuben and Babatunde
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

DIMKA76 wrote:
bully12 wrote:Enugu 11 and Gotti did you hear it from the horse's mouth . He was not injured in last World Cup , Keshi was absolutely pervading false statement to cover up his depravities and malfeasance . Everybody who watched the last match before Keshi dropped him knew he was 100% fit also performed extremely brilliant in the match. May Keshi's soul rest in peace but all these attempts to cover up his corrupt proclivities is absolutely hilarious and insane.
omo did you eat a dictionary? why not tailor your writing to your audience. By that, I mean write simply. Something English politicians do excellently.
I dont know why Nigerians choose to use the English language as a weapon. The guy don break my head sef. :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi Intervi

Post by Gotti »

DIMKA76 wrote:
Sadly, despite the dictionary lodged in his throat, he still struggles with basic comprehension...

ALL of my posts on Joel Obi in respect of the 2014 WC (including the specific posts Mr. BULLY is referring to) centers on FITNESS, not injury - and FYI that is a distinction with a DIFFERENCE - as I have repeated on more than one occasion on several threads on the subject matter that dude barely played a full 90 minutes TWICE during the ENTIRE 2013/14 league season leading into the 2014 WC (and appeared in a grand total of 8 games during said season).

Of course, it would seem apparent to most rational folk that he may not have been specifically injured for his one appearance in 4 years against Scotland, but (and this is irregardless of the report that Keshi said he had a “slight ankle knock” that Keshi did not want to risk - possibly in light of Joel’s well-documented history of RECURRING injuries) hopefully even Mr. Bully is knowledgeable enough to recognize that Joel (and one is not necessarily accusing Joel of anything) would not be the first player to self-proclaim his own medical fitness - particularly to participate in his first-ever (and perhaps only-ever) WC finals. In relatively recent history, each of Kanu, Amokachi, Iroha and Amunike declared themselves injury-free leading to the 1998 WC (as Yakubu who was recovering from eye surgery similarly declared in 2002 as he tried to force his way into the WC squad).

The SILLIEST aspect of Mr. BULLY churlish argument on this matter is that Keshi did not have to invite Joel Obi to the pre-WC camp at all! Joel was not a part of Keshi’s SE squad that won the 2013 ANC or played in the Confederation Cup nor in any of the SE WC qualifiers under Keshi. That in itself is not surprising given that Joel Obi had only started ONE game and played in a grand total of barely TWO games - none for the entire 90 minutes - in the 2012/13 Serie A season (making it a grand total of 10 games, and only TWO for the entire 90 minutes in the 2 league seasons immediately preceding the 2014 WC and for much of Keshi’s tenure up to that point). One suspects that because Keshi had played Joel in his first 3 games as SE coach (2 friendlies and an away ANCQ) and had publicly declared his admiration for Joel’s game (and a potentially key role on the team Keshi was building), he was willing to bend over backwards to give an opportunity to a relatively inactive player. Frankly, if Joel was not so beloved here on CE, his invitation would have been proffered as “evidence” of corruption! SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Gotti wrote:
DIMKA76 wrote:
Sadly, despite the dictionary lodged in his throat, he still struggles with basic comprehension...

ALL of my posts on Joel Obi in respect of the 2014 WC (including the specific posts Mr. BULLY is referring to) centers on FITNESS, not injury - and FYI that is a distinction with a DIFFERENCE - as I have repeated on more than one occasion on several threads on the subject matter that dude barely played a full 90 minutes TWICE during the ENTIRE 2013/14 league season leading into the 2014 WC (and appeared in a grand total of 8 games during said season).

Of course, it would seem apparent to most rational folk that he may not have been specifically injured for his one appearance in 4 years against Scotland, but (and this is irregardless of the report that Keshi said he had a “slight ankle knock” that Keshi did not want to risk - possibly in light of Joel’s well-documented history of RECURRING injuries) hopefully even Mr. Bully is knowledgeable enough to recognize that Joel (and one is not necessarily accusing Joel of anything) would not be the first player to self-proclaim his own medical fitness - particularly to participate in his first-ever (and perhaps only-ever) WC finals. In relatively recent history, each of Kanu, Amokachi, Iroha and Amunike declared themselves injury-free leading to the 1998 WC (as Yakubu who was recovering from eye surgery similarly declared in 2002 as he tried to force his way into the WC squad).

The SILLIEST aspect of Mr. BULLY churlish argument on this matter is that Keshi did not have to invite Joel Obi to the pre-WC camp at all! Joel was not a part of Keshi’s SE squad that won the 2013 ANC or played in the Confederation Cup nor in any of the SE WC qualifiers under Keshi. That in itself is not surprising given that Joel Obi had only started ONE game and played in a grand total of barely TWO games - none for the entire 90 minutes - in the 2012/13 Serie A season (making it a grand total of 10 games, and only TWO for the entire 90 minutes in the 2 league seasons immediately preceding the 2014 WC and for much of Keshi’s tenure up to that point). One suspects that because Keshi had played Joel in his first 3 games as SE coach (2 friendlies and an away ANCQ) and had publicly declared his admiration for Joel’s game (and a potentially key role on the team Keshi was building), he was willing to bend over backwards to give an opportunity to a relatively inactive player. Frankly, if Joel was not so beloved here on CE, his invitation would have been proffered as “evidence” of corruption! SMH

Agree with you....except that I hate that word....yes, I know it IS a word...just sounds somehow... :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Gotti wrote:ALL of my posts on Joel Obi in respect of the 2014 WC (including the specific posts Mr. BULLY is referring to) centers on FITNESS, not injury - and FYI that is a distinction with a DIFFERENCE - as I have repeated on more than one occasion on several threads on the subject matter that dude barely played a full 90 minutes TWICE during the ENTIRE 2013/14 league season leading into the 2014 WC (and appeared in a grand total of 8 games during said season).
Not that I disagree with your post in general, but I just want to point out that Gabriel Reuben made even fewer 90 minute appearances than Joel did that season (just one), and also appeared in eight games in an inferior league yet was deemed good enough to make the squad.

But anyway, it's all in the past, and other factors like Joe's recurring injuries may have been a factor in his non-inclusion.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

The YeyeMan wrote:
Gotti wrote:ALL of my posts on Joel Obi in respect of the 2014 WC (including the specific posts Mr. BULLY is referring to) centers on FITNESS, not injury - and FYI that is a distinction with a DIFFERENCE - as I have repeated on more than one occasion on several threads on the subject matter that dude barely played a full 90 minutes TWICE during the ENTIRE 2013/14 league season leading into the 2014 WC (and appeared in a grand total of 8 games during said season).
Not that I disagree with your post in general, but I just want to point out that Gabriel Reuben made even fewer 90 minute appearances than Joel did that season (just one), and also appeared in eight games in an inferior league yet was deemed good enough to make the squad.

But anyway, it's all in the past, and other factors like Joe's recurring injuries may have been a factor in his non-inclusion.
And in this video Joel said ppl said he was injured or wasn’t fit, but that wasn’t true. So he addressed both. We should just admit Keshi had his guys and was loyal and would take them regardless of form and others just have to make way unless you were exceptional.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Flex Swift wrote:So he wasn’t injured..... Keshi just decided to take Reuben and Babatunde
Keshi is a legend but those two where never going to be affective at that level but he also gave Shola Ameobi a World Cup spot so nothing was a surprise!
Last edited by Eaglezbeak on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

That was the pay to play era
9jaMan
Egg
Egg

Post by 9jaMan »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote: so happy for Joel. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
[/video]
My client, Joel Baller :thumbs:
Last edited by 9jaMan on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

The YeyeMan wrote:

First, that's factually incorrect - he made 3 for Beveren (one more than Joel)... :lol:
Nonetheless, highlighted below is my take on Reuben in the thread being referenced here by BULLY!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=286075
Gotti wrote:
Flex Swift wrote:I would be very surprised if John Ogu made the World Cup squad. He is a very nice guy but he is not an elite player which would explain why he couldn’t make it in Portugal an has ended up in Israel.The quality of football to be played at WC he is not at that level.

Onazi’s form has dipped and he could also find himself on the World Cup standby list if things don’t change.

Over the too friendlies Joel Obi in my opinion did enough to threaten both Onazi and Ogu’s position. Against Poland he was everywhere closing down the opposition, taking the ball from the back four, winning the ball in midfield. He was dropped from the last World Cup squad in favour of Reuben and Babatunde players as it proved to be utter rubbish. Obi spent majority of his career playing for Inter Milan and now plays for Torino has he been a crap player he would not have lasted this long in the Italian top flight. Rohr should not make the mistake Keshi made in taking substandard players (Reuben, Azeez ,Babatunde) that play in backwater leagues for a genuine talent playing in one of the best leagues in Europe.
Since when did the La Liga become a “backwater” league? :blink:

Joel Obi’s issues have never been talent but a history of injuries. That is primarily the reason for his 4-year prolonged absence from the SE, rather than so-called “mistake” from any coach - Keshi, Siasia or Oliseh (even Rohr until this month of March). In the season leading into the 2014 WC, dude played a full 90 minute game only TWICE in the entire season and make a grand total of 8 appearances all season (being either subbed-on or off in the other 6 games). Dude was actually quite fortunate to be a surprise call-up for the pre-WC 2014 camp, as he was clearly not match-fit (albeit not sure that Reuben was either). Now, that Joel has been relatively fit and playing regularly he has earned due consideration and no one should begrudge him if the coaches elect to take him to Russia - but abegi let’s quit revising factual history to score cheap partisan polemic points.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:And in this video Joel said ppl said he was injured or wasn’t fit, but that wasn’t true. So he addressed both. We should just admit Keshi had his guys and was loyal and would take them regardless of form and others just have to make way unless you were exceptional.
I guess that settles it then... :lol:
Like Amokachi, Kanu and Amunike in 1998, and Yakubu in 2002?!

While I cannot personally attest to his personal fitness in 1998 (and neither can you vouch for same, as neither of us were personally privy to the pre-WC camp - as, for example, Keshi), a player self-servingly asserting his own fitness is not dispositive of the matter. If (for example) Onyekuru, who has started training post-injury, tomorrow self-proclaims himself "healthy and match fit" for the WC, I would hope that you not be gullible enough to swallow such proclamation hook, line and sinker. There's a reason Joel Obi was limited to a grand total of 10 league games over the two seasons immediately preceding the 2014 WC (including ZERO games between March and May 2014, and barely ONE league game from March 2014 until the WC 2014), and it was not because he was preserving himself for the WC. SMDH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Joel obi wasnt injured or unfit
He certainly wasnt any less fit than Reuben who couldnt even make the bench at Kilmarnock - a scottish division 2 side
Keshi may he rest in peace was corrupt.sorry.
But Everyone knows this

That said Joel Obi has no business being in the squad this year
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

maceo4 wrote:And in this video Joel said ppl said he was injured or wasn’t fit, but that wasn’t true. So he addressed both. We should just admit Keshi had his guys and was loyal and would take them regardless of form and others just have to make way unless you were exceptional.
BTW, would that be why Joel played more games under Keshi (4) than any other SE coach? :lol:
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

smartbrother wrote:Joel obi wasnt injured or unfit
He certainly wasnt any less fit than Reuben who couldnt even make the bench at Kilmarnock - a scottish division 2 side
But Everyone knows this

Kilmarnock was NOT in the Scottish Second Division...
"But everyone knows this" - Or at least everyone not self-proclaimed 'smart'! :D

BTW, while I cannot (and has not sought to) defend Reuben's inclusion in the 2014 WC squad (a case could have been made for him at another time but definitely not by the time of the WC), who gives a flying #$%$ where our players play - so long as they represent? Until recently our starting RB was playing in Cyprus (and in Kuwait not too long aprior), and our starting LB is presently struggling for minutes in the Belgian second division (which by your leap of tortured logic proves Coach Rohr's "corruption"), while folks have been here on CE campaigning for the call-up of a player who was an actual Scottish second division player last season. SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

IMO, Joel did not look fit in the Scotland game. He was pulling out of tackles. Every player will declare themselves fit for the WC, just like Beckham did in 2002 where it was evident that he was not match fit.
I am happy
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Gotti wrote:
But Everyone knows this

"But everyone knows this" - Or at least everyone not self-proclaimed 'smart'! :D

BTW, while I cannot (and has not sought to) defend Reuben's inclusion in the 2014 WC squad (a case could have been made for him at another time but definitely not by the time of the WC), who gives a flying #$%$ where our players play - so long as they represent? Until recently our starting RB was playing in Cyprus (and in Kuwait not too long aprior), and our starting LB is presently struggling for minutes in the Belgian second division (which by your leap of tortured logic proves Coach Rohr's "corruption"), while folks have been here on CE campaigning for the call-up of a player who was an actual Scottish second division player last season. SMH
I guess you are referring to Echiejiele. Since he moved to Belgium, have you seen him play for the S.E?
You are only trying to justify mediocrity over reality.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Gotti wrote:
But Everyone knows this

Your rebuttal is ridiculous.
No one said Keshi was corrupt because Reuben played (or rather warmed the bench ) for Kilmarnock

Keshi was corrupt because he had a pattern of picking trash obscure players such as Reuben, Uchebo and Mba ahead of established and much better alternatives such as (at the time) Joel Obi.
he then dropped them as soon as they found their way into better clubs like boavista and picked a fresh round of trash obscure players to market
Which suggests he was paid by agents or the players themselves in return for national team caps
He was corrupt as coach of Togo because Adebayor confirmed it
He was corrupt because the NFF eventually fired him for corruption (among other things)
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Gotti wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:

First, that's factually incorrect - he made 3 for Beveren (one more than Joel)... :lol:
There was just a single 90 minute appearance from Reuben that season:
https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/reuben- ... rainer_id=
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Dammy wrote:IMO, Joel did not look fit in the Scotland game. He was pulling out of tackles. Every player will declare themselves fit for the WC, just like Beckham did in 2002 where it was evident that he was not match fit.
He looked fine to me.
danfo driver quotes:
-
Cellular quotes:

© The YeyeMan 2024
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

naijaguy wrote:
Gotti wrote:Kilmarnock was NOT in the Scottish Second Division...

I guess you are referring to Echiejiele. Since he moved to Belgium, have you seen him play for the S.E?
You are only trying to justify mediocrity over reality.
Ignoring your obvious comprehension deficit... :D
Isn't Echiejile (who's played LESS game than Gabriel in the Belgian 2d Div) still in the SE squad?! SMH
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL