Coach Knows Best? The infamous Amokachi moment.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet
Coach Knows Best? The infamous Amokachi moment.....

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Coach Knows Best? The infamous Amokachi moment.....

Post by metalalloy »

Haha talk about backing up your ballsy move
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

Enugu II wrote:
How was this possible? :???: :shock:
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Amo was one of several players warming up. Royle wanted to make a substitution but wanted to bring in another player. But he turned his back. Amo, noticing his coach turned his back, went to the official and got himself subbed in. When the coach realized, Amo was on the pitch.

That's the kind of move that can get a player fired. But it all turned out great :D :D :D
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

deanotito wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Amo was one of several players warming up. Royle wanted to make a substitution but wanted to bring in another player. But he turned his back. Amo, noticing his coach turned his back, went to the official and got himself subbed in. When the coach realized, Amo was on the pitch.

That's the kind of move that can get a player fired. But it all turned out great :D :D :D

Wow, na risky move by Amokachi that turned out ok. However??????
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cell,

That is exactly how I felt when I saw this. Na real wa!!!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

....so as recent as 1995 the English league was still primitive, that they don't give the name of subbing players to the ref or 4th official :laugh:
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

I guess Royle took the credit for the tactical move.
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

mcal wrote:....so as recent as 1995 the English league was still primitive, that they don't give the name of subbing players to the ref or 4th official :laugh:
See deanotito's post above.
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
SylverEagles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by SylverEagles »

mcal wrote:....so as recent as 1995 the English league was still primitive, that they don't give the name of subbing players to the ref or 4th official :laugh:
You do know that 1995 is 23 years ago? That is more than 'recent'.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Enugu II wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cell,

EII and Cell, this is common knowledge. I am surprised you guys didn’t know this.

Amo also had the distinct honor of being the scorer of the first goal in CL history
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

oloye wrote:I guess Royle took the credit for the tactical move.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: I bet he would have!
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
Cell,

EII and Cell, this is common knowledge. I am surprised you guys didn’t know this.

Amo also had the distinct honor of being the scorer of the first goal in CL history
Chief,

I knew of the second but not the first. I laff tire oo! As Oloye stated, the coach would have claimed that his tactics worked to perfection and we would of course swallow the claim!
icee
Egg
Egg

Post by icee »

Dan the Bull has always been a confident guy. Even till this day, watch his current day interviews he always has this self belief that borders on pride but not crossing that pride line. This was the group from 94 that knew no fear and you see it in his gait and how he pounces on and drives the ball. For a coach and the Nigerian camp, it was for a better, for worse during that "mafia" era. This was one of the many mafia moves
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
deanotito wrote:
Cellular wrote:
Enugu II wrote:

Wow, na risky move by Amokachi that turned out ok. However??????
that was 100% impulsive act - residue of internalized behaviors at pick-up games in Nigeria ( watch your suppressed past it might jump out of you sometime)
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

The YeyeMan wrote:
See deanotito's post above.
..."the coach turn around, Amo went to the official and was subbed" does that mean all the players warming up have their name slip in hand to present?
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

SylverEagles wrote:
You do know that 1995 is 23 years ago? That is more than 'recent'.
...I still remember where I was and what I was doing back then. Still enjoying the euphoria of SE 1994 USA wc :thumbs:
kofi86
Egg
Egg

Post by kofi86 »

Günter Netzer did the same in the early 70s. It was his last game for the club before moving to Real Madrid. It was the German cup final, the score was 1:1 after regular time. He subbed himself in and scored the winning goal as his club won 2-1
"If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!"
folem
Egg
Egg

Post by folem »

kofi86 wrote:Günter Netzer did the same in the early 70s. It was his last game for the club before moving to Real Madrid. It was the German cup final, the score was 1:1 after regular time. He subbed himself in and scored the winning goal as his club won 2-1
[/video]
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

dude has size o
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

(Harrysong) Dan Amokachi the bull... the bull!..the bull!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
----------------------------------------------------------------
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

As a current coach I wonder what he would do if his player disobeyed him like that but went on to prove it was the right decision...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Purity
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Purity »

He subbed him self without his name being sent to the 4th official? Is it possible to a sub to be made without a player(s) name being sent to the 4th official?
Jesus didn't die so we could have religion. He died so we could have a deep, intimate, personal relationship with God.