The word "HANG" time to do away with it?

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The word "HANG" time to do away with it?

Post by pajimoh »

Chief Ogbunigwe wrote:
pajimoh wrote:I think "hang" should be done away with. Yes we are Nigerians but cosmopolitan. Not everyone understands or appreciate such terms. For this site to be universal, we need to move from the mindset that it's for Nigerians alone.
Hang, especially when you precedes it with a name, is creepy.
Mikel scores, Mikel don tear net..... We have options for headline. Mikel Hangs - is not cool.
If you like, you can creep out. Our boys should be hanging goals at the WC :clap: :clap: :clap:

I didn't see you complain when Harry Kane was hanging goals left and right. In fact, you lot took Eriksen's goal and forced Harry Kane to hang it.
Hanging goals is obviously different from Mikel hang or Mikel don hang. Hello chief :D
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Here we go again trying to enforce colo grammar patrol on CE to sooth the sensitivity those who are offended because the word has other meanings in London and US.

They're offended because they think the word "hang" suggests the player might be dead because he hung himself or was discovered hanging from a rope. Really? GTFOH! If you cannot respect our culture and language then you've no business on CE, you need to go to the bbc forum or your team's forum where they don't use the word hang.

Respect the fact that we have a colloquial language which will not change because sombody in London doesn't like it. I think the suggestion to stop using the word is offensive, we demand an apology.
Look at this stone for brain Ibadan sewer rat :rotf: What is culture about using the word "hang"?

Are you OK in the head at all? How many people outside CE do you think use the word "hang" to describe scoring a goal. Mofo :rotf:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

kawawa wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Gotti wrote:The only CE slang I cringe at is “rape” (as in “rape so-and-so defender)...

Otherwise, my best counsel to those unable and unwilling to accustom themselves to Nigerian slangs and Naija-speak on a Nigerian cite, is simply to scroll on. It is not by force. We HANG goals!!
What is the difference between the two examples. It reads like the same analogy to me.
Huge differences. I have never equated hand as we do in goals with the implications being proferred. You can hang things from a line, hang unto something, things can hang in balance of course you can hang from the neck but is there really any other meaning for rape?
Obviously you saw my other post, but you just wanted to post this right.

:rotf:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

pajimoh wrote:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA wrote:Here we go again trying to enforce colo grammar patrol on CE to sooth the sensitivity those who are offended because the word has other meanings in London and US.

They're offended because they think the word "hang" suggests the player might be dead because he hung himself or was discovered hanging from a rope. Really? GTFOH! If you cannot respect our culture and language then you've no business on CE, you need to go to the bbc forum or your team's forum where they don't use the word hang.

Respect the fact that we have a colloquial language which will not change because sombody in London doesn't like it. I think the suggestion to stop using the word is offensive, we demand an apology.
Look at this stone for brain Ibadan sewer rat :rotf: What is culture about using the word "hang"?

Are you OK in the head at all? How many people outside CE do you think use the word "hang" to describe scoring a goal. Mofo :rotf:
If you don't know how culture impacts language ,perception and context of words then you've no business commenting. Stick to the Arsenal vs Chelsea talk, it's for simps like u.

Btw, where in Ibadan have you seen a sewer?wish we had a sewerage system. I really do.
OCCUPY NFF!!
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

Tbite wrote:
kawawa wrote:
Tbite wrote:
Gotti wrote:The only CE slang I cringe at is “rape” (as in “rape so-and-so defender)...

Otherwise, my best counsel to those unable and unwilling to accustom themselves to Nigerian slangs and Naija-speak on a Nigerian cite, is simply to scroll on. It is not by force. We HANG goals!!
What is the difference between the two examples. It reads like the same analogy to me.
Huge differences. I have never equated hand as we do in goals with the implications being proferred. You can hang things from a line, hang unto something, things can hang in balance of course you can hang from the neck but is there really any other meaning for rape?

Nope saw the first and did not have the patience to read more and see you correct yourself. How was I to know you did not think through the first response :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
joao
Egg
Egg

Post by joao »

Another thread for those too weak minded to distinguish difference between
a real word and slang. I guess a statement like 'taking a shot' applies only to
pointing a gun.
"We now live in a nation where doctors destroy health, lawyers destroy justice, universities destroy knowledge,
governments destroy freedom, the press destroys information, religion destroys morals, and our banks destroy the economy.”

― Chris Hedges
Gotti
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gotti »

Undertaker wrote:
charlie wrote:Words have no power without meaning.

My neighbours has a dog they called "Toto".
Everytime I hear them calling for the dog,...

"Toto,...where are you? Toto! stop making that racket"

I cringe inside and want to tell them to change their dogs name,...then I remember where I live.

My point is, if we all know the meaning and the context by which a word is used, and it is not meant to cause harm, then its on you to adapt. We as a society cannot force meaning into words when there is none meant.
You cringe because you have never had Toto before? :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Lazy Betty even introduced into the SE lexicon...
Calling-up full Israeli international Toto Tamuz to the SE.
#ENDSARS #BLM
#ENDPOLICEBRUTALITY

#FREESENEGAL
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Tried in vain to popularise ‘beheads’ as a light hearted and arguably more current alternative to hangs. Didn’t make the cut, ironically.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The use of hang, rape, sodomized, and molested just isn't good enough. That is just it.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Enugu II wrote:The use of hang, rape, sodomized, and molested just isn't good enough. That is just it.
Ol boy, it's our culture and we are changing for no one.

Signed

The CE Shaker
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

kawawa wrote:
Tbite wrote:
kawawa wrote:
Tbite wrote:

Nope saw the first and did not have the patience to read more and see you correct yourself. How was I to know you did not think through the first response :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
I haven't really said my bit to be honest. I was just testing a few ideas.

I'm probably on the fence with regards to this issue.

I think both sides have merit.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Ok...wetin una think of "Shake Net"...abi fishermen like Ikwerreman and CIC go vex too? :taunt:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
ANC
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ANC »

paj wrote:Ok...wetin una think of "Shake Net"...abi fishermen like Ikwerreman and CIC go vex too? :taunt:

:lol:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

What about “ he scored a goal’? Wouldn’t our goal challenged Bredas as yuugandans but offended? :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!