The inside story of Man City's Premier League title Win

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: The inside story of Man City's Premier League title Win

Post by pajimoh »

Cally wrote:
pajimoh wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Inside story is over 600m spent. Wages excluded. Congrats to them. The money could have been spent without achieving their objective so they deserve to be complemented
Did you read the article?
It's not a tough read, unless you're a hater, then it will be a bitter pill.... :taunt:
Chief, I don't need to read the article. That is the opinion of the writer. I formed my own opinion about Man City and Pep a long Tim ago.
Not many managers can have the tools and make it work. Pep gas. But Oep has always taken teams that have won things. Pep also works in environment where lack is also part of the pressure.

Maurinho took a club from Portugal to the top of European football. He's shown he can manage at middle of the road clubs as well as rich clubs.

Many good managers that could have given Pep a run for his skills don't have 300m to spend on defenders alone.

I recognize his achievements but 'm a firm believer in building a team not buying a team. For me Pep falls short on that. Their academy is utterly useless. It's like making a vegetable farm but going out to but all your vegetables.

I don't need to waste my time reading someone else's opinion of Pep.
Stop being a cheap hater. You are a Tottenham fan. Which of your defenders isn't more highly rated or expensive than the defenders Pep bought? On paper, Spurs likely has better defenders than City. Compare Otamendi, Stones, even that French dude, and Walker to the likes of Aldewereild, Sanchez, Vertoghen and tell me who the better defenders are. I would only single out Kompany as perhaps better than Spurs' centerbacks. Compare Lloris to Ederson, who would you have rated higher prior to this season?

Heck, Pep spent tons of money on Mendy, and the guy proceeded to get injured after only about 4 games. He's even in danger of not receiving a medal. Pep then used the right footed Danilo and a converted midfielder like Fabian Delph to walk the league. City ended paying so much money cause the likes of Tottenham skinned them with huge demands for average players like Walker. You overcharge them for your player, rejoice at making so much money from money-miss-roads and when they walk the league, you turn around and accuse them of buying the championship.

What a load of rubbish! Give credit to a deserving manager joor! Pep Guardiola.
Like I said, not everyone can make money work. But I recognize Pep has all the tools he needs. But he's outspend everyone and that must be recognized.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Whatever team wins the EPL next season are going to get articles written extolling what they did right or better than the others. Either buying finished products or promoting from the academy.

No one begrudges City and their superb season, but to write off about 400M Pounds net-spend since Guardiola joined the team is being economic with the truth.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

http://i42.tinypic.com/210hk01.jpg
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

balo wrote:Whatever team wins the EPL next season are going to get articles written extolling what they did right or better than the others. Either buying finished products or promoting from the academy.

No one begrudges City and their superb season, but to write off about 400M Pounds net-spend since Guardiola joined the team is being economic with the truth.

Goes both ways......dismissing the quality of their performance is also being economic with the truth.

There is a reason why I told pajimoh to focus on what the articles is trying to focus on.....not that i am dismissing the fact that their outlay on players is much more than considerable but thats another topic for another day

come on.....Person 1: City won playing one the best football ever seen in the premier league era
Person 2: United Emirates human rights record, 400m outlay, pep should do it with a smaller team, yadayada
That is just a ridiculous attempt at deflection or clutching at straws
The article is about the quality of their football and how their manager got them to play like that.....not about how much they spent.
How hard is it to just admit that after the english pundits kept on harping about how Pep will never win the premier league with that style of playing....guess what he did it. It might not happen again but since the epl started no team has ever won the league playing that way(yes...some teams have won more).
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

bk-one wrote:
balo wrote:Whatever team wins the EPL next season are going to get articles written extolling what they did right or better than the others. Either buying finished products or promoting from the academy.

Goes both ways......dismissing the quality of their performance is also being economic with the truth.

There is a reason why I told pajimoh to focus on what the articles is trying to focus on.....not that i am dismissing the fact that their outlay on players is much more than considerable but thats another topic for another day

come on.....Person 1: City won playing one the best football ever seen in the premier league era
Person 2: United Emirates human rights record, 400m outlay, pep should do it with a smaller team, yadayada
The article is about the quality of their football and how their manager got them to play like that.....not about how much they spent.
How hard is it to just admit that after the english pundits kept on harping about how Pep will never win the premier league with that style of playing....guess what he did it. It might not happen again but since the epl started no team has ever won the league playing that way(yes...some teams have won more).
The catalyst in them playing "that way" is because of the quality of their players. I understand that they "bought in", but if they didn't have the quality to appreciate the Manager's ideas, we would all be here lambasting Guardiola.
If Noah had been truly wise, he would have swatted those two flies. -- Helen Castle

Mr. Piffington
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Mr. Piffington »

Football fans are the funniest people. It's like they can't accept a new style, team, coach, etc has come and upset the apple cart so they clutch at straws. When Man United, Chelsea, etc were winning trophies and dominating nobody was talking about money spent even though they outspent everyone else and had vast amounts of resources compared to everyone else but when Pep and City do it is an issue? GTFOH. Pep is a good coach and with the way City are going this season they're set to smash a lot of records and people are still making excuses. Congratulate or move on, everything is just saltiness.
This post was made by Appitti who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by bully12 who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by COOKING SPOON who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by danfo driver who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by muzines who is currently on your ignore list.
This post was made by ohenhen1 who is currently on your ignore list.
Cally
Egg
Egg

Post by Cally »

balo wrote:
bk-one wrote:

The catalyst in them playing "that way" is because of the quality of their players. I understand that they "bought in", but if they didn't have the quality to appreciate the Manager's ideas, we would all be here lambasting Guardiola.
Balo, granted you said we are saying the same thing. I think I differ in my definition of the so-called quality. Are we defining these players by how much they cost, or how good they actually were before Pep took them on? That is the crux of the matter. No one on this site would have been sure that De Bruyne, Sane, and Sterling would have played at the level and with the quality that they played this season. The players at Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool are arguably on paper, more heralded than the ones Pep used. What is the difference? Coaching! Let's just admit it.

The article said that he kept insisting that they never kick the ball long out from defence no matter the circumstance. Doing that is very difficult, and only comes with practice and dedication. It took time, but its now second nature to them. Coaching.
http://www.meditationsofthesoul.com

"My friends - "We need to really reassess the way we trash our national team, derogate some players and disrespect the people that run our football. Let the brand new Super Eagles become our new Brand of national pride.. The unifying identity for all.. Bar none!" - CE's The Great Seloweizer (6/24/13)

The Arsenal Football Club - "The Deeper The Foundation, The Stronger The Fortress."
bk-one
Egg
Egg

Post by bk-one »

Cally wrote:
balo wrote:
bk-one wrote:

Balo, granted you said we are saying the same thing. I think I differ in my definition of the so-called quality. Are we defining these players by how much they cost, or how good they actually were before Pep took them on? That is the crux of the matter. No one on this site would have been sure that De Bruyne, Sane, and Sterling would have played at the level and with the quality that they played this season. The players at Chelsea, United, Spurs, Arsenal, Liverpool are arguably on paper, more heralded than the ones Pep used. What is the difference? Coaching! Let's just admit it.

The article said that he kept insisting that they never kick the ball long out from defence no matter the circumstance. Doing that is very difficult, and only comes with practice and dedication. It took time, but its now second nature to them. Coaching.
there :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

Cally wrote:
balo wrote:
bk-one wrote:

Guardiola has made his name coaching the best teams and players, I doubt anyone disagrees that he is quality.
But we can't deny that he could not impart his superior knowledge on Hart, Mangala, Nolito, Kelechi, Yaya Toure (2ce now?), Sagna. He had to get rid of them and bring in better replacements. Yaya dropped to the bench. The discarded are quality players in their own rights.

Sterling, Sane and De Bruyne were extremely talented players before they started playing for Pep. De Bruyne was already a known quality and running the City midfield since Manuel Pellegrini. His quality remains high under both coaches..

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Mr. Piffington wrote:Football fans are the funniest people. It's like they can't accept a new style, team, coach, etc has come and upset the apple cart so they clutch at straws. When Man United, Chelsea, etc were winning trophies and dominating nobody was talking about money spent even though they outspent everyone else and had vast amounts of resources compared to everyone else but when Pep and City do it is an issue? GTFOH. Pep is a good coach and with the way City are going this season they're set to smash a lot of records and people are still making excuses. Congratulate or move on, everything is just saltiness.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Its called sheer hypocrisy. For DECADES, manure outspent every one and won practically every premier title in sight, these same clowns like thiefco had no problems hanging onto the bandwagon, now some others are around to challenge them with equally big pockets, all they do is *Nice Lady* and moan.

G T F O H and eat your humble pie. Long live Abramovich, long the good Sheik keep pumping $$$$ into the transfer market, anybody wey e pain, make dem go hug a wet transformer. :taunt: :taunt:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

tfco wrote:
bk-one wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Inside story is over 600m spent. Wages excluded. Congrats to them. The money could have been spent without achieving their objective so they deserve to be complemented
You know its possible to focus on their football first and leave the finances for the time there is an article about their finances right?

Not dismissing the fact that they have spent 600m but the article is about their football( how they played) which was fantastic, better than most other financially doped clubs which spent more or less like them
:clap:

therefore we expect the following next season
1. Players from the famed City Academy being blooded into the 1st team
2. A deeper run in the UCL
3. Other teams in the Prem playing from the back,something which was never seen prior to 2017
4. The remaining teams to stop hoofing it from the back <-- justification of the English Revolution
You paid almost ONE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS for one player who could not even finish a game against the world champion division 2 bound West Ham :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

balo wrote:
Cally wrote:
balo wrote:
bk-one wrote:

Guardiola has made his name coaching the best teams and players, I doubt anyone disagrees that he is quality.
But we can't deny that he could not impart his superior knowledge on Hart, Mangala, Nolito, Kelechi, Yaya Toure (2ce now?), Sagna. He had to get rid of them and bring in better replacements. Yaya dropped to the bench. The discarded are quality players in their own rights.

Sterling, Sane and De Bruyne were extremely talented players before they started playing for Pep. De Bruyne was already a known quality and running the City midfield since Manuel Pellegrini. His quality remains high under both coaches..
But bros this your argument get k leg. Not ever player fits the way every manager wants to play. Dost is one of the best scoring strikers in Europe, but would never fit inside Pep's system. Same goes for Kele, as much as it pained me as a Nigerian, He isn't a striker that fits or showed any indication he was willing to adapt to fit Pep's system. Heck he even benched a world class star like Kun because Jesus fit his system better.

Mourinho has had the best players on the planet on his team and converted them to fit his very restricted style of play, or benched/sold them if he didn't see them in his system. IT is something any top level manager does.
Last edited by metalalloy on Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

balo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by balo »

metalalloy wrote:
balo wrote:
Cally wrote:
balo wrote:
bk-one wrote:

But bros this your argument get k leg. Not ever player fits the way every manager wants to play. Dost is one of the best scoring strikers in Europe, but would never fit inside Pep's system. Same goes for Kele, as much as it pained me as a Nigerian, He isn't a striker that fits or showed any indication he was willing to adapt to fit Pep's system. Heck he even benched a world class star like Kun because Jesus fit his system better.

Mourinho has has the best players on the planet on his team and converted them to fit his very restricted style of play, or benched/sold them if he didn't see them in his system. IT is something any top level manager does.
Correct. Both coaches have been very lucky to have coached the richest teams in the world. When the owners refuse to come up with the funds needed, how do they handle it?

We saw Morinho go through one of his toughest times as a coach during his last stint at Chelsea when he didn't get his targets.

We have seen Pep in his first season at Man City get disgraced tactically. Another coach we are seeing serve up crap is Conte at Chelsea.

All boils down to money. They are happy when there is money to pick and choose their players.

As conservative/pragmatic as Morinho is, he has won a lot of championships and on some good days you see his teams play great football. So it's not like he can't coach a team to play attacking soccer.

paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Kabalega wrote:
balo wrote:Roman needs to search his inner billionaire and cough up the dough to challenge City.
Surely 700M would be money well spent, even if I recognize that 9M of that would go to send limited Conte packing.. :D
Another one who didn't read the article. :roll:

Chelski will probably get Allegri next season and lose about 9 key players too.
No amount of spending will win you titles. To do that, you need a Pep Guardiola. :thumbs:
All 600M to win EPL and Carling Cup...De Matteo spend a lot less to win CL and FA cup...abeg make we hear word...and yes I'm a hater :mad:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

paj wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
balo wrote:Roman needs to search his inner billionaire and cough up the dough to challenge City.
Surely 700M would be money well spent, even if I recognize that 9M of that would go to send limited Conte packing.. :D

No amount of spending will win you titles. To do that, you need a Pep Guardiola. :thumbs:
All 600M to win EPL and Carling Cup...De Matteo spend a lot less to win CL and FA cup...abeg make we hear word...and yes I'm a hater :mad:
Too much hatorade.

How much would Di Matteo's team cost in 2017?
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

This is what is commonly called a “puff piece”. Person wet spend almost 1Billion come dey preach about “narrative” and “improvements” to certain players??? I like Pep, but please spare us the bulljive.

Anything short of the treble is failure
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
paj
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by paj »

Kabalega wrote:
paj wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Too much hatorade.

Di Matteo only got Hazard(32M), Oscar(30M) and Azpi(8M) added to the team after he won,,when he took over we'd added Mata(23M) and Lukaku(12M + addons)..oya ..talk :evil:
The Brunch Mixtape Project
Available on all major streaming platforms :)
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

metalalloy wrote:
tfco wrote:
bk-one wrote:
You know its possible to focus on their football first and leave the finances for the time there is an article about their finances right?

Not dismissing the fact that they have spent 600m but the article is about their football( how they played) which was fantastic, better than most other financially doped clubs which spent more or less like them

3. Other teams in the Prem playing from the back,something which was never seen prior to 2017
4. The remaining teams to stop hoofing it from the back <-- justification of the English Revolution
You paid almost ONE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS for one player who could not even finish a game against the world champion division 2 bound West Ham :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
as usual you have no point....just kpom what others say with NO thought of your own.

All you do is slurp slurp on The Inheritance Merchant's nuts, all because u hate Mourinho.

2 seasons, 2 trophies....excellent. Time to buy Liverpool players to go further in the UCL

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Mr. Piffington wrote:Football fans are the funniest people. It's like they can't accept a new style, team, coach, etc has come and upset the apple cart so they clutch at straws. When Man United, Chelsea, etc were winning trophies and dominating nobody was talking about money spent even though they outspent everyone else and had vast amounts of resources compared to everyone else but when Pep and City do it is an issue? GTFOH. Pep is a good coach and with the way City are going this season they're set to smash a lot of records and people are still making excuses. Congratulate or move on, everything is just saltiness.
where did the term Chelski come from? When United paid for Rio Ferdinand, wasn't there a lot of noise about money spent on just 1 defender?

Look, you rate him as the best thing since sliced bread, others see things different. Accept and move on.

Theres a reason your ilk have still not commented on what went wrong in 2 UCL games v Liverpool

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

tfco wrote:
bk-one wrote:

This pep dey pain you. How much did Mourinho spend?
Kabalega
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Kabalega »

paj wrote:
Kabalega wrote:
paj wrote:
Kabalega wrote:

Too much hatorade.

Di Matteo only got Hazard(32M), Oscar(30M) and Azpi(8M) added to the team after he won,,when he took over we'd added Mata(23M) and Lukaku(12M + addons)..oya ..talk :evil:
How much would those same players cost in 2017?
You've got to be fair when comparing player purchases in a high rising cost of doing business.

Also Di Matteo didn't have the burden of worrying about the EPL as Chelsea was already out of the top 4.
“If your opponent is of choleric temper, seek to irritate him. Pretend to be weak, that he may grow arrogant.”- Sun Tzu
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

When people don't have much to say then they start diverting attention like "Pep is a great coach" . "hypocrisy because other clubs in the past spent money.

No one is saying Pep is not s good coach. No one is saying City did not play some jaw dropping football. No one is claiming clubs have not spent grew deal of money in the past.

What at least I'm saying is and we have said it in the time of Chelsea, Man United, Real, PSG and we've been saying it since Dubai money landed at City. City's ascendancy comes with their money and Pep used that money to the fullest.

I consider Pep a very good coach that can make things happen when he has the sharpest knives but cannot create the sharpest knives himself. SAF was a great coach in that he proved himself at lowly Aberdeen. Got the gig at Man United and used youth from the club to win things, while constantly refreshing with gems he picked up here and there.

Maurinho did similar with Porto and his managerial skill got him gigs at top clubs where he proved himself again and again. He even took Inter to the holy Grail of European football when they were not the best in Europe.

Pep has not tested his managerial skill at some unfancied club where he'd have to sharpen his own knives.
If you're given the fasted car and most expensive car with top engineers and you beat the likes of Lada and Skoda, where's the praise in that? Sure we can talk about your handling of the car but not the pace or the car compared to others.

He's put big and expensive names together, got them playing great football and he's achieved his aim, but question mark remains... Can he do the same without jumping from Barca to Bayern to Man City? Clubs that were no pushovers in terms of winning things and resources before he joined.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Real won the Champions League with a squad full of Primark specials. Fact.
wanaj0
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wanaj0 »

pajimoh wrote:When people don't have much to say then they start diverting attention like "Pep is a great coach" . "hypocrisy because other clubs in the past spent money.

No one is saying Pep is not s good coach. No one is saying City did not play some jaw dropping football. No one is claiming clubs have not spent grew deal of money in the past.

What at least I'm saying is and we have said it in the time of Chelsea, Man United, Real, PSG and we've been saying it since Dubai money landed at City. City's ascendancy comes with their money and Pep used that money to the fullest.

I consider Pep a very good coach that can make things happen when he has the sharpest knives but cannot create the sharpest knives himself. SAF was a great coach in that he proved himself at lowly Aberdeen. Got the gig at Man United and used youth from the club to win things, while constantly refreshing with gems he picked up here and there.

Maurinho did similar with Porto and his managerial skill got him gigs at top clubs where he proved himself again and again. He even took Inter to the holy Grail of European football when they were not the best in Europe.

Pep has not tested his managerial skill at some unfancied club where he'd have to sharpen his own knives.
If you're given the fasted car and most expensive car with top engineers and you beat the likes of Lada and Skoda, where's the praise in that? Sure we can talk about your handling of the car but not the pace or the car compared to others.

He's put big and expensive names together, got them playing great football and he's achieved his aim, but question mark remains... Can he do the same without jumping from Barca to Bayern to Man City? Clubs that were no pushovers in terms of winning things and resources before he joined.
City will have to win CL for their current arrangement to be considered a success! Pepe is yet to 'improve' on previous performance. There is still a lot more work to do. A lot more money to be spent.
“We do not have natural disasters in Nigeria, the only disaster we have is human beings,”