Why Vic Mo Can't Captain Nigeria now.....

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Why Vic Mo Can't Captain Nigeria now.....

Post by jette1 »

Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:You might not like the article but it is 100000% correct about VicMo.

I saw it with my kro kro eyes in Atlanta in 2014 and have spoken to many a super eagle who feel the same way.

Moses roomed with Mikel sometimes and stayed there all day except to train and eat. Wore headphones throughout when in public and did not utter one word.

Maybe things have I changed these days I don't know. Apparently he has a reason why....and he also stays away from Nigerian Press. Treats them like a disease.
so what; That's who he is and how is that a personality handicap or did he tell you he is vying for SE captain-ship. Everyone is not into your gra gra lifestyle my friend. Some people are perfectly comfortable private and quiet and peaceful. This is a guy that overcame gruesome childhood trauma and is trying to just be. Some of you idiots here need to know whats going on before you open your mouth.
You are a moron. Of course you chose to ignore the part where I said he has a reason why he is that way. You just want to rush to say something without reading thoroughly.
obviously you are the moron; you reinforced what we already know to be an irrational rant by questioning his interactions. when did a choice to privacy become a personality deficit. But then again you are one of those typical fire brigade Nigerians who rule with iron fists. I feel sorry for your kids
You obviously have comprehension skills that can be tied to stupidity. Nowhere in my comment did I do any questioning. I validated the article with my personal experiences with the team and then clearly stated he seemed to have his reasons why he is the way he is. For some reason you took my response to mean I'm hostile towards the kid and starting insulting me for saying things exactly the way I saw.

You have serious issues.
you cannot extricate your already made stance; you justified the fictionary calcification of an innocent man by reinforcing a stereotype.
make peaceful change impossible make violent change inevitable.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
Ugbowo
Egg
Egg

Post by Ugbowo »

jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:You might not like the article but it is 100000% correct about VicMo.

I saw it with my kro kro eyes in Atlanta in 2014 and have spoken to many a super eagle who feel the same way.

Moses roomed with Mikel sometimes and stayed there all day except to train and eat. Wore headphones throughout when in public and did not utter one word.

Maybe things have I changed these days I don't know. Apparently he has a reason why....and he also stays away from Nigerian Press. Treats them like a disease.
so what; That's who he is and how is that a personality handicap or did he tell you he is vying for SE captain-ship. Everyone is not into your gra gra lifestyle my friend. Some people are perfectly comfortable private and quiet and peaceful. This is a guy that overcame gruesome childhood trauma and is trying to just be. Some of you idiots here need to know whats going on before you open your mouth.
You are a moron. Of course you chose to ignore the part where I said he has a reason why he is that way. You just want to rush to say something without reading thoroughly.
obviously you are the moron; you reinforced what we already know to be an irrational rant by questioning his interactions. when did a choice to privacy become a personality deficit. But then again you are one of those typical fire brigade Nigerians who rule with iron fists. I feel sorry for your kids
You obviously have comprehension skills that can be tied to stupidity. Nowhere in my comment did I do any questioning. I validated the article with my personal experiences with the team and then clearly stated he seemed to have his reasons why he is the way he is. For some reason you took my response to mean I'm hostile towards the kid and starting insulting me for saying things exactly the way I saw.

You have serious issues.
you cannot extricate your already made stance; you justified the fictionary calcification of an innocent man by reinforcing a stereotype.
One more thing, insult me all you want, but leave my kids out of internet shenanigans. They are innocent. I have said nothing about your family even though I think you made a moronic leap from my comment.

This is about being a leader of men. You can't lead men you don't talk to or interact with enough. You have to be a part of a team culture to understand that dynamic. I have captained and coached on a miniature level in sports and I manage professionally in my line of work. I know what it takes to lead.

The article talks about his demeanor when he is around his teammates. It is a correct description based on my experiences with them and whoever spoke to own goal is not the only player to say this about VicMo. It was not said negatively then and I don't think its negative now especially if VicMo himself has no interest in the position.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:

You have serious issues.
One more thing, insult me all you want, but leave my kids out of internet shenanigans. They are innocent. I have said nothing about your family even though I think you made a moronic leap from my comment.

This is about being a leader of men. You can't lead men you don't talk to or interact with enough. You have to be a part of a team culture to understand that dynamic. I have captained and coached on a miniature level in sports and I manage professionally in my line of work. I know what it takes to lead.

The article talks about his demeanor when he is around his teammates. It is a correct description based on my experiences with them and whoever spoke to own goal is not the only player to say this about VicMo. It was not said negatively then and I don't think its negative now especially if VicMo himself has no interest in the position.
my friend shot your mouth; Vic mo didn't tell you he is vying for leadership; his demeanor is not a personality deficit; like i said apparently you know nothing about all the factors/childhood experiences that came to make him who he is. So why are you joining in caricature of an innocent man. you should be ashamed of yourself.

"It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is. If the--if he--if 'is' means is and never has been, that is not--that is one thing. If it means there is none, that was a completely true statement....Now, if someone had asked me on that day, are you having any kind of sexual relations with Ms. Lewinsky, that is, asked me a question in the present tense, I would have said no. And it would have been completely true."
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

If you follow the team on social its easy to notice this, he is never in any of bonding activities. But that's who he is and as long as its not bringing down no reason to highlight it, afterall he and Mikel are way above most of the bums on our team anyways :twisted:
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

....assume assume and assume. I would rather like a person like that than a person who fakes, pretends and then stab you in the back.
Mr Shows
Egg
Egg

Post by Mr Shows »

He can be a loner in the dressing room but as far as he remains a beast on the pitch, couldn't give a ratszass..

Balogun doesn't mingle that much either. That is just down to their personality and ability to flow with the culture. Owngoal are simply courting controversy..
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

jette1 wrote:
Ugbowo wrote:
jette1 wrote:

And where did Ugbowo mention that VicMo has a 'personality deficit' or personality 'handicap'?
This is you setting up a straw man to demonstrate your ITK personality flaw.
He mentioned his observations which you are free to disagree with, but to attribute to him a line of argument he is not making is dishonest and might be a sign that you yourself might be manifesting early signs of a Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD), or maybe even a brand new category - 'ITK Personality Disorder' (ITKPD).
See what I did there? :taunt:

And kindly leave his kids out of it - another sign you are losing it. :roll:
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

He implied all of that by reinforcing mischaracterizations, projecting intentions and associations and injecting an innocent man in the middle of it. He is essentially engaging or reinforcing a defamation and character assasination purely based on hear-say and stereotype, & you defending him amounts to endorsing the defamation
Last edited by jette1 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

Mr Shows wrote:He can be a loner in the dressing room but as far as he remains a beast on the pitch, couldn't give a ratszass..

Balogun doesn't mingle that much either. That is just down to their personality and ability to flow with the culture. Owngoal are simply courting controversy..

He got along and mingled a lot at the last camp they had in the poland/serbia games. At least he looked like it in the live streams.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
green4life
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by green4life »

For Vico Mo to attain this level of success in his life, he definitely has sufficient leadership ability. The irony of the article is Mikel was referenced as an example of a 'loner' who has become a good leader. Even as of last year, there was a video posted on CE where Mikel did not join the rest of the team in singing in the team bus after a result in Cameroon. What does that mean with respect to his leadership ability? Nothing apparently.

Leadership comes in different packages. The fact that someone likes to keep to himself is far from being definitive on the question of leadership trait. My point is we will not be able to determine the effectiveness of Moses as a leader until he is put in that position. Nevertheless, keep in mind that he might not wish to wear the armband and chose to 'lead' in his own way on the pitch which is also ok with regards to leadership.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

IMO there is nothing wrong in Moses' personality. It is what it is. Now can he lead a team? It depends. One thing for sure is that a leader must be able to communicate effectively. If Moses is named captain then he must do those things. Mikel may not be a rara guy but he does communicate. However, it does not appear that he is a social leader. That I think is what both Musa and Onazi do for the team. That is a very important role because it creates team bonding. Mikel from my understanding is the task guy in his own way. As for Vic Mo, if named captain he will be expected to do more and he surely can step up or simply reject the responsibility.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

I have heard enough nonsense here about criteria for leadership; leadership on sports pitch absolutely has very little to do with whether you socialize or not socialize off the pitch with teammates. Sports being the multibillion dollar business that We know is no less of a business than the big conventional corporations and you want to socialize with bill gates or Jeff bezo before you do your job. I was in leadership position for the 12 years I served in the US combat arms and military mission is closely comparable to stepping on the pitch against an opponent in a zero-sum encounter of kill or get killed —that is strictly business and actually requires leadership by fear or force instea of some mambi pambi socialization-based persuasion on subordinates to do their job. If at this point any member of the team still haven’t understood that it is either opponent die or we die and rather still need further pacification based on premission socialization then they might have to sit out. Your subordinates perform based on your own performance as a leader from the front and on the front. And no one in SE personifies this more than Moses in the manner he dazzles on the pitch like it is his last game. And you wanna tell me he is not a leader. Take the Quaterback position in NFL for example they are essentially field marshals and hardly ever see their players after the game until next practice. But their role in command of the game automatically gives them the captainship role irrespective of anyone else. And it’s not unusual to see someone else assume leadership role off the pitch (the emotional leader role) because quarterbacks even though they are captains on the pitch may not necessarily be cut out socially off the pitch. Yes bonding is essential part of team spirit but to say that good captainship is solely about clubbing and clowning with teammates is simply a stretch. Good leaders may not even have to talk and often can be antisocial yet command leadership.
Last edited by jette1 on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:I have heard enough nonsense here about criteria for leadership; leadership on sports pitch has absolutely nothing to do with whether you socialize or not socialize off the pitch with teammates. Sports is a multi billion dollar business and is no less of a business than the big conventional corporations and you want to socialize with bill gates or Jeff bezo before you do your job. I was in leadership position for the 12 years I served in the US combat arms and military mission is comparable to stepping on the pitch against an opponent in a zero-sum encounter that is strictly business and actually requires leadership by fear or force instead of some mambi pambi socialization based persuasion on subordinates to do their job. If any member of the team still haven’t understood that it is either they die or we die but rather need further pacification based on premission socialization then they might have to sit out. Your subordinates perform based on your own performance as a leader from the front and on the front. And no one in SE personifies this the way Moses dazzles on the pitch like it is his last game. And you wanna tell me he is not a leader. Take the Quaterback position in NFL for example they are essentially field marshals and hardly even see their players after the game until next practice. But their role in command of the game automatically gives them the captainship irrespective of a one else. And it’s not unusual to see someone else assume captainship role off the pitch (emotional leader role) because some quarterbacks even though there are captain on the pitch may not necessarily talk or interact socially off the pitch. Yes bonding is essential part of team spirit but to say that good captainship is solely about clubbing and clowning with teammates is simply a stretch. Good leaders may not even talk and often can be antisocial.
jette1,

Sports leadership is not just what you do on match days, bro. It goes beyond the field of play and includes preparation, getting others on the same page of focus, etc. You cannot do that without communicating effectively. Communication is an essential characteristic of an effective leader, whether it is in sports or in a corporation. You need that ability to inspire others to be at their best. Without it, you will have a team moving in multiple directions without focus. Btw, we have seen that type of leadership on some sports teams and the results were not pretty, ask the Chicago Bears (if you follow NFL football) a few years ago. If Moses was to be captain, he must communicate and lead. His play will not replace that essential aspect.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
jette1 wrote:I have heard enough nonsense here about criteria for leadership; leadership on sports pitch has absolutely nothing to do with whether you socialize or not socialize off the pitch with teammates. Sports is a multi billion dollar business and is no less of a business than the big conventional corporations and you want to socialize with bill gates or Jeff bezo before you do your job. I was in leadership position for the 12 years I served in the US combat arms and military mission is comparable to stepping on the pitch against an opponent in a zero-sum encounter that is strictly business and actually requires leadership by fear or force instead of some mambi pambi socialization based persuasion on subordinates to do their job. If any member of the team still haven’t understood that it is either they die or we die but rather need further pacification based on premission socialization then they might have to sit out. Your subordinates perform based on your own performance as a leader from the front and on the front. And no one in SE personifies this the way Moses dazzles on the pitch like it is his last game. And you wanna tell me he is not a leader. Take the Quaterback position in NFL for example they are essentially field marshals and hardly even see their players after the game until next practice. But their role in command of the game automatically gives them the captainship irrespective of a one else. And it’s not unusual to see someone else assume captainship role off the pitch (emotional leader role) because some quarterbacks even though there are captain on the pitch may not necessarily talk or interact socially off the pitch. Yes bonding is essential part of team spirit but to say that good captainship is solely about clubbing and clowning with teammates is simply a stretch. Good leaders may not even talk and often can be antisocial.
jette1,

Sports leadership is not just what you do on match days, bro. It goes beyond the field of play and includes preparation, getting others on the same page of focus, etc. You cannot do that without communicating effectively. Communication is an essential characteristic of an effective leader, whether it is in sports or in a corporation. You need that ability to inspire others to be at their best. Without it, you will have a team moving in multiple directions without focus. Btw, we have seen that type of leadership on some sports teams and the results were not pretty, ask the Chicago Bears (if you follow NFL football) a few years ago. If Moses was to be captain, he must communicate and lead. His play will not replace that essential aspect.
Relative to soccer and national teams and given the few days players camp before major games your picture is unrealistic. It’s not even enough time to bond if players didn’t already harbor a collective unconscious bond. These are professionals and not Boy Scouts and they do not baby sitters disguised as a captain to know what’s expected of them. That’s why you have technical team to iron strategies for a game. The captains role is essentially an over glorified position. It’s not his place to do what you are talking about.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
jette1,

Relative to soccer and national teams and given the few days players camp before major games your picture is unrealistic. It’s not even enough time to bond if players didn’t already harbor a collective unconscious bond. These are professionals and not Boy Scouts and they do not baby sitters disguised as a captain to know what’s expected of them. That’s why you have technical team to iron strategies for a game. The captains role is essentially an over glorified position. It’s not his place to do what you are talking about.
jette1,

Captain's role isn't glorified. You do realize the captain is the guy who represents the team in welfare discussions with the NFF? He is the guy who speaks on behalf of the team in several other matters and with the technical crew as well as the admin? It isn't just wearing the armband.

BTW, the fact that the team meets for only brief periods heightens the importance of the leader rather than diminish it. The leader basically works more to achieve within a short period. I hope you have read about Rohr's thinking on Musa in spite of the fact that many do not think that Musa deserves a place on the team? There is value to leaders like that. From the little glimpse that we have, you see John Ogu's leadership qualities and how it appears that other players gravitate towards him. Note he isn't even a starter but guess what? He appears to be a leader on that team. It isn't something that should be taken lightly as if it doesn't matter. I bet you that if Vic Mo is described accurately in that piece, he would have been long gone from the team if his talent was on the level of John Ogu's or Musa's.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
jette1 wrote:
Enugu II wrote:
jette1,

jette1,

Captain's role isn't glorified. You do realize the captain is the guy who represents the team in welfare discussions with the NFF? He is the guy who speaks on behalf of the team in several other matters and with the technical crew as well as the admin? It isn't just wearing the armband.

BTW, the fact that the team meets for only brief periods heightens the importance of the leader rather than diminish it. The leader basically works more to achieve within a short period. I hope you have read about Rohr's thinking on Musa in spite of the fact that many do not think that Musa deserves a place on the team? There is value to leaders like that. From the little glimpse that we have, you see John Ogu's leadership qualities and how it appears that other players gravitate towards him. Note he isn't even a starter but guess what? He appears to be a leader on that team. It isn't something that should be taken lightly as if it doesn't matter. I bet you that if Vic Mo is described accurately in that piece, he would have been long gone from the team if his talent was on the level of John Ogu's or Musa's.
At best every appraisal you made specific to Musa, Balogun and John Ogu are speculations and projections which you hope are true because admittedly you have not verified this yourself. I’m sure you would be objective enough to agree that Balogun as a captain has not performed any of the roles you described above. At best he was just an honorary captain. Moses I’m sure is more than capable of honorary captain just like Balogun and ekong were for those games.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Jette1

So your point is about honorary captain ship? If it is, sure Moses or even a non-player may be designated honorary captain for a day with the accompanying responsibilities that a substantive captain must bear. Btw, my thought is that Moses can be a substantive captain but must exhibit the accompanying leadership and communication responsibilities.
Damunk
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by Damunk »

Enugu II wrote:Jette1

So your point is about honorary captain ship? If it is, sure Moses or even a non-player may be designated honorary captain for a day with the accompanying responsibilities that a substantive captain must bear. Btw, my thought is that Moses can be a substantive captain but must exhibit the accompanying leadership and communication responsibilities.
I don't think Moses can be an effective captain and it is nithing to do with a personality 'flaw' or 'deficit' or 'handicap'.
Like I said elsewhre, the future substantive captain of the SE is Ndidi without a doubt. Deputy probably Alex Iwobi.
In the transition period (after Mikel retires) I would put my money on Ekong and maybe Balogun assuming they can keep their current places without challenge
"Ole kuku ni gbogbo wọn "
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

jette1 wrote:An apple never falls too far from its tree though; so all you guys aren’t that far removed from this pathetic journalist cognitive stressors and perhaps developmental life conflicts. Views you express here often have similarities to owngoal views
Even if what you have claimed is true I hope you know the difference between an online magazine and a fan's forum.
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Damunk wrote:

I don't think Moses can be an effective captain and it is nithing to do with a personality 'flaw' or 'deficit' or 'handicap'.
Like I said elsewhre, the future substantive captain of the SE is Ndidi without a doubt. Deputy probably Alex Iwobi.
In the transition period (after Mikel retires) I would put my money on Ekong and maybe Balogun assuming they can keep their current places without challenge
Ndidi ahead of Ekong Based on what: But let me finish that thought for you. = Based on what you observed on TV from the vantage love-seat in your living room. We know you have never met the man. And that's exactly my point. People are making appraisals of something as complex as personality make-up of someone they have never met and you would tell me you are not prejudiced & you are being completely objective. Now continue............
Last edited by jette1 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

No my point is not about honorary Captain; I was trying to remind you that what Balogun, Musa, Ekong have done thus far do not reflect the substantive captain role as you described above. They essentially played the honorary captain role and nothing more.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

jette1 wrote:

No my point is not about honorary Captain; I was trying to remind you that what Balogun, Musa, Ekong have done thus far do not reflect the substantive captain role as you described above. They essentially played the honorary captain role and nothing more.
Jette1

So who fulfilled the role of substantive captain behind the scenes? Or do you assume that no one did?
jette1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by jette1 »

Enugu II wrote:
jette1 wrote:

Jette1

So who fulfilled the role of substantive captain behind the scenes? Or do you assume that no one did?
given that neither Balogun nor Ekong could have completely become familiar with all related inner workings, right persons to talk to about miscellaneous issues etc within their brief time in Captaining it's safe to assume the assistants & Adm team covered for them behind the scene.