Cybereagles

The Undisputed Number One Home for All Super Eagles Fans
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 am
Posts: 1130
http://global.espn.com/football/match?gameId=491357

Came in at 57 min, replaced by Ghanaman at 85 min. Anyone watch the game?
Know what happened?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:05 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:51 pm
Posts: 12911
Location: South London
kawawa wrote:
http://global.espn.com/football/match?gameId=491357

Came in at 57 min, replaced by Ghanaman at 85 min. Anyone watch the game?
Know what happened?

Well Nigerians know Obi is talented but also know he is injury prone,the Ghana man got lucky that's all!

_________________
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:12 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:01 pm
Posts: 24634
Location: Copacabana
Commentary
85' - Substitution, Torino. Afriyie Acquah replaces Joel Obi because of an injury.

_________________
Image
*** Every child is A STAR! ***
SUPER EAGLES - Fly Above the Storm!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
"If you are tribalistic you have no right to complain about racism!!!"
* Kingsley Moghalu * Omoyele Sowore * Fela Durotoye *


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:54 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2004 6:56 pm
Posts: 4684
Location: The Wood and Alaba Market
YemiBrazil wrote:
Commentary
85' - Substitution, Torino. Afriyie Acquah replaces Joel Obi because of an injury.


not sure if Obi can play 2 full 90mins in a tournament - lets not just risk we already know is the inevitable


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2003 4:04 pm
Posts: 485
If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:09 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:01 pm
Posts: 24634
Location: Copacabana
MYMIND wrote:
If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.

Then our eyes clear and we start blaming the coach for not paying attention to statistics leading to waste of a valuable slot if he gets injured after 2 matches? Good player but is he that vital to how we play? That's the big question :mrgreen:

_________________
Image
*** Every child is A STAR! ***
SUPER EAGLES - Fly Above the Storm!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
"If you are tribalistic you have no right to complain about racism!!!"
* Kingsley Moghalu * Omoyele Sowore * Fela Durotoye *


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 36081
Location: Land of the Terrapins
YemiBrazil wrote:
MYMIND wrote:
If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.

Then our eyes clear and we start blaming the coach for not paying attention to statistics leading to waste of a valuable slot if he gets injured after 2 matches? Good player but is he that vital to how we play? That's the big question :mrgreen:


How is it a waste of a slot if he gave us 2 good matches? How many matches do you think we will play at the WC? You know sey only 3 are guaranteed abi?

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:17 pm
Posts: 647
Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 56379
If he is good enough and fit. He should go to the World cup. Am not sure he is on the plane to Russia.

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kimbo5c0Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAchpi46lA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm
Posts: 1904
The guy was absolutely horrible in the past 2 games for Nigeria and if he intends on going to World Cup he needs to step up his game. If ogu had performed that bad in our last 2 games that would had been the end of OGU on CE


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:42 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 am
Posts: 1130
john12 wrote:
The guy was absolutely horrible in the past 2 games for Nigeria and if he intends on going to World Cup he needs to step up his game. If ogu had performed that bad in our last 2 games that would had been the end of OGU on CE

Not true. Was good against Poland


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:46 pm
Posts: 56379
He was average. Got driven off the ball to easily, didn't contribute much going forward. Was okay in his defensive duties. I actually think Mikel Agu looked better in past games for Nigeria minus that one bad game against Cameroon. Joel Obi is not an automatic selection.

_________________
Winners do it the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kimbo5c0Ak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMAchpi46lA


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:33 pm
Posts: 7277
ohenhen1 wrote:
He was average. Got driven off the ball to easily, didn't contribute much going forward. Was okay in his defensive duties. I actually think Mikel Agu looked better in past games for Nigeria minus that one bad game against Cameroon. Joel Obi is not an automatic selection.

Completely agree :agree: :agree: :agree:

_________________
To stop trying is to start dying
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:56 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2004 7:01 pm
Posts: 24634
Location: Copacabana
maceo4 wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
MYMIND wrote:
If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.

Then our eyes clear and we start blaming the coach for not paying attention to statistics leading to waste of a valuable slot if he gets injured after 2 matches? Good player but is he that vital to how we play? That's the big question :mrgreen:


How is it a waste of a slot if he gave us 2 good matches? How many matches do you think we will play at the WC? You know sey only 3 are guaranteed abi?

3 guaranteed with possibilities of 4, 5, 6, 7. The waste may not be glaring initially but possibilities may turn to reality and then you look stupid for being myopic.

_________________
Image
*** Every child is A STAR! ***
SUPER EAGLES - Fly Above the Storm!!!
----------------------------------------------------------------
"If you are tribalistic you have no right to complain about racism!!!"
* Kingsley Moghalu * Omoyele Sowore * Fela Durotoye *


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:14 pm
Posts: 12667
Location: USA
nzeogwu wrote:
Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.


Bros, what are you on about? You really want to compare Joel Obi's injury history to Uwa, Taiwo and Iroha's???

Common! I'm all for taking him to the WC, but I've said it before...his injury frequency is not normal for a hardworking, preparation-minded player. The only explanation is that his body type is not suited for his chosen profession. Yes, that's actually a thing.

When I was growing up as a teen, I noticed that my brother and I both suffered from a lot of cramps while playing soccer. Our diets were as good or better than those of our peers....but give us a day or 2 of inaction, and we'd pull up on the field clutching our hammies, and calves. My friends didn't even know what a cramp was, let alone understand how it felt. But there was something about my brother and I's physiology that made us susceptible to them, even at what was a low level of kickabout soccer.

Joel's injuries are not normal for a player of his caliber. If you told me he never trained, and didn't eat well, I would understand why he was always getting hurt. But if that were the case, he would have been fired from top flight football. He is obviously professional enough, and takes his career seriously. His body just doesn't cooperate.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2003 6:41 am
Posts: 36081
Location: Land of the Terrapins
YemiBrazil wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
MYMIND wrote:
If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.

Then our eyes clear and we start blaming the coach for not paying attention to statistics leading to waste of a valuable slot if he gets injured after 2 matches? Good player but is he that vital to how we play? That's the big question :mrgreen:


How is it a waste of a slot if he gave us 2 good matches? How many matches do you think we will play at the WC? You know sey only 3 are guaranteed abi?

3 guaranteed with possibilities of 4, 5, 6, 7. The waste may not be glaring initially but possibilities may turn to reality and then you look stupid for being myopic.


Bros, at the level of our team, its a pretty safe bet that we are not playing more than 4 games if that. To me if we can get 2 good games out of Obi that would be a good return. Also, his injuries of late have been less serious than in the past and require less time out, if he's out for a week after the first game he would still be available for us in the tourney. Also, he might not even be a starter anyways, but we need players of his quality to push the starters for a spot.

_________________
Super Eagus 4 Life!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:41 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:47 pm
Posts: 10295
Nna no vex,

Uwa did not make it to the mundial in 2014!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D


nzeogwu wrote:
Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:33 pm
Posts: 7971
deanotito wrote:
nzeogwu wrote:
Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.


Bros, what are you on about? You really want to compare Joel Obi's injury history to Uwa, Taiwo and Iroha's???

Common! I'm all for taking him to the WC, but I've said it before...his injury frequency is not normal for a hardworking, preparation-minded player. The only explanation is that his body type is not suited for his chosen profession. Yes, that's actually a thing.

When I was growing up as a teen, I noticed that my brother and I both suffered from a lot of cramps while playing soccer. Our diets were as good or better than those of our peers....but give us a day or 2 of inaction, and we'd pull up on the field clutching our hammies, and calves. My friends didn't even know what a cramp was, let alone understand how it felt. But there was something about my brother and I's physiology that made us susceptible to them, even at what was a low level of kickabout soccer.

Joel's injuries are not normal for a player of his caliber. If you told me he never trained, and didn't eat well, I would understand why he was always getting hurt. But if that were the case, he would have been fired from top flight football. He is obviously professional enough, and takes his career seriously. His body just doesn't cooperate.

Iroha's injury history was dire. He got injured after the first game in Algiers'90 CAN and did not play for the rest of the tournament. He missed CAN'92 due to injury and also played just the opening match against Bulgaria in the 1994 WC before succumbing to injury. The only tournament he played injury free was CAN 94.

_________________
I am happy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC + 1 hour


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 01bakana, Ad, Google [Bot], maceo4, naijaguy, oloye, YemiBrazil and 16 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group