Joel Obi: subbed in and out today

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

kawawa
Egg
Egg
Joel Obi: subbed in and out today

Post by kawawa »

http://global.espn.com/football/match?gameId=491357

Came in at 57 min, replaced by Ghanaman at 85 min. Anyone watch the game?
Know what happened?
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Joel Obi: subbed in and out today

Post by Eaglezbeak »

kawawa wrote:http://global.espn.com/football/match?gameId=491357

Came in at 57 min, replaced by Ghanaman at 85 min. Anyone watch the game?
Know what happened?
Well Nigerians know Obi is talented but also know he is injury prone,the Ghana man got lucky that's all!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

Commentary
85' - Substitution, Torino. Afriyie Acquah replaces Joel Obi because of an injury.
*** Every child is A STAR! ***

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
----------------------------------------------------------------
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
* Progressive Federalism * Personal Revolution * Industrialization *
walesvilla
Egg
Egg

Post by walesvilla »

YemiBrazil wrote:Commentary
85' - Substitution, Torino. Afriyie Acquah replaces Joel Obi because of an injury.
not sure if Obi can play 2 full 90mins in a tournament - lets not just risk we already know is the inevitable
MYMIND
Egg
Egg

Post by MYMIND »

If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

MYMIND wrote:If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.
Then our eyes clear and we start blaming the coach for not paying attention to statistics leading to waste of a valuable slot if he gets injured after 2 matches? Good player but is he that vital to how we play? That's the big question :mrgreen:

Only Mister Johnson https://www.amazon.com/Only-Mister-Johnson-Okey-Chigbo/dp/B09DMW3RM9
"A revolution in a personal context, is a turn around of a predominant way of thinking or doing things TO BETTER YOURSELF and effectively BETTER YOUR NATION!!!"
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

YemiBrazil wrote:
MYMIND wrote:If he is fit at the time of team selection, he will make the squad. Simple.
Then our eyes clear and we start blaming the coach for not paying attention to statistics leading to waste of a valuable slot if he gets injured after 2 matches? Good player but is he that vital to how we play? That's the big question :mrgreen:
How is it a waste of a slot if he gave us 2 good matches? How many matches do you think we will play at the WC? You know sey only 3 are guaranteed abi?
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
nzeogwu
Egg
Egg

Post by nzeogwu »

Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If he is good enough and fit. He should go to the World cup. Am not sure he is on the plane to Russia.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
john12
Egg
Egg

Post by john12 »

The guy was absolutely horrible in the past 2 games for Nigeria and if he intends on going to World Cup he needs to step up his game. If ogu had performed that bad in our last 2 games that would had been the end of OGU on CE
kawawa
Egg
Egg

Post by kawawa »

john12 wrote:The guy was absolutely horrible in the past 2 games for Nigeria and if he intends on going to World Cup he needs to step up his game. If ogu had performed that bad in our last 2 games that would had been the end of OGU on CE
Not true. Was good against Poland
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

He was average. Got driven off the ball to easily, didn't contribute much going forward. Was okay in his defensive duties. I actually think Mikel Agu looked better in past games for Nigeria minus that one bad game against Cameroon. Joel Obi is not an automatic selection.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Shownoja
Egg
Egg

Post by Shownoja »

ohenhen1 wrote:He was average. Got driven off the ball to easily, didn't contribute much going forward. Was okay in his defensive duties. I actually think Mikel Agu looked better in past games for Nigeria minus that one bad game against Cameroon. Joel Obi is not an automatic selection.
Completely agree :agree: :agree: :agree:
To stop trying is to start dying
YemiBrazil
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by YemiBrazil »

maceo4 wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
How is it a waste of a slot if he gave us 2 good matches? How many matches do you think we will play at the WC? You know sey only 3 are guaranteed abi?
3 guaranteed with possibilities of 4, 5, 6, 7. The waste may not be glaring initially but possibilities may turn to reality and then you look stupid for being myopic.

deanotito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by deanotito »

nzeogwu wrote:Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.
Bros, what are you on about? You really want to compare Joel Obi's injury history to Uwa, Taiwo and Iroha's???

Common! I'm all for taking him to the WC, but I've said it before...his injury frequency is not normal for a hardworking, preparation-minded player. The only explanation is that his body type is not suited for his chosen profession. Yes, that's actually a thing.

When I was growing up as a teen, I noticed that my brother and I both suffered from a lot of cramps while playing soccer. Our diets were as good or better than those of our peers....but give us a day or 2 of inaction, and we'd pull up on the field clutching our hammies, and calves. My friends didn't even know what a cramp was, let alone understand how it felt. But there was something about my brother and I's physiology that made us susceptible to them, even at what was a low level of kickabout soccer.

Joel's injuries are not normal for a player of his caliber. If you told me he never trained, and didn't eat well, I would understand why he was always getting hurt. But if that were the case, he would have been fired from top flight football. He is obviously professional enough, and takes his career seriously. His body just doesn't cooperate.
If purge dey worry you, you no dey select toilet
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

YemiBrazil wrote:
maceo4 wrote:
YemiBrazil wrote:
3 guaranteed with possibilities of 4, 5, 6, 7. The waste may not be glaring initially but possibilities may turn to reality and then you look stupid for being myopic.
Bros, at the level of our team, its a pretty safe bet that we are not playing more than 4 games if that. To me if we can get 2 good games out of Obi that would be a good return. Also, his injuries of late have been less serious than in the past and require less time out, if he's out for a week after the first game he would still be available for us in the tourney. Also, he might not even be a starter anyways, but we need players of his quality to push the starters for a spot.
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
Cmoke
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cmoke »

Nna no vex,

Uwa did not make it to the mundial in 2014!

Cmoke :D :D :D :D :D :D

nzeogwu wrote:Some of us are funny, sha. In 1994 we took Iroha to the Mundial, he got hurt in the first match. No one said he was plastic in 1998. In 2010, again, we lost Taiwo and Uwa Echeijele, both left backs in the Argentina game, nobody said they were plastic. Some had the nerve to request Uwa in 2014 only to see him replaced by Juwon again after the first match. I think we should be more concerned about phony left backs than a terrier like Joel.
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

deanotito wrote:
Bros, what are you on about? You really want to compare Joel Obi's injury history to Uwa, Taiwo and Iroha's???

Common! I'm all for taking him to the WC, but I've said it before...his injury frequency is not normal for a hardworking, preparation-minded player. The only explanation is that his body type is not suited for his chosen profession. Yes, that's actually a thing.

When I was growing up as a teen, I noticed that my brother and I both suffered from a lot of cramps while playing soccer. Our diets were as good or better than those of our peers....but give us a day or 2 of inaction, and we'd pull up on the field clutching our hammies, and calves. My friends didn't even know what a cramp was, let alone understand how it felt. But there was something about my brother and I's physiology that made us susceptible to them, even at what was a low level of kickabout soccer.

Joel's injuries are not normal for a player of his caliber. If you told me he never trained, and didn't eat well, I would understand why he was always getting hurt. But if that were the case, he would have been fired from top flight football. He is obviously professional enough, and takes his career seriously. His body just doesn't cooperate.
Iroha's injury history was dire. He got injured after the first game in Algiers'90 CAN and did not play for the rest of the tournament. He missed CAN'92 due to injury and also played just the opening match against Bulgaria in the 1994 WC before succumbing to injury. The only tournament he played injury free was CAN 94.
I am happy