World Cup 2018: Cameroon legend Lauren makes blunt predictio

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

gmoni1
Egg
Egg
World Cup 2018: Cameroon legend Lauren makes blunt predictio

Post by gmoni1 »

Former Cameroon international Lauren has predicted that no African team will get past the quarter-final of the 2018 Fifa World Cup.

Nigeria, Tunisia, Senegal, Morocco and Egypt are the continent’s representatives in Russia, and they would be hoping to challenge for the coveted trophy.

Since Africa’s first participation in the quadrennial football showpiece in 1934, only Cameroon (1990), Senegal (2002), and Ghana (2010) have reached the competition’s last eight.

And the 41-year-old does not believe the five African flagbearers can challenge the status quo, because they are still a step behind the top teams.

"I could say Africa will be in the semis, we're going to win, but that's not the reality," Lauren told BBCSport.

"To be honest with you, I can't see any of them go further than the quarter finals. This is my honest opinion because we are still one step behind the top teams.

"I can't see them challenge Germany, Argentina, Spain or Brazil, they are not in that level.

"I don't like to lie to people. I am very honest, I speak my mind because we don't do things the right way.

"It happens in football, it happens in so many other African societies."

The 2018 World Cup kicks off on June 14 when hosts Russia tackle Saudi Arabia in the opening game at the Luzhniki Stadium, Moscow.

https://sports.yahoo.com/fkf-president- ... 00322.html
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg
Re: World Cup 2018: Cameroon legend Lauren makes blunt predi

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Who?
maceo4
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by maceo4 »

Pretty safe bet...
Super Eagus 4 Life!
Made in the image of God that's a selfie!
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

Honest truth.
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Was he honest about his football age? :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

He can honestly be wrong. In as much as quality is one of the ingredients in predicting future success, it is not the be all end all. To be successful, a team needs to be united, lucky, tactical, disciplined, possess great mental strength and belief. The last one being the most important. To me, that explains why the winners have come from a few countries
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

highbury wrote:He can honestly be wrong. In as much as quality is one of the ingredients in predicting future success, it is not the be all end all. To be successful, a team needs to be united, lucky, tactical, disciplined, possess great mental strength and belief. The last one being the most important. To me, that explains why the winners have come from a few countries
Is there any African team that has the aforementioned qualities?
Only two things in life are certain - death and taxes. But there is one other unpleasant certainty: criticism. No one escapes it entirely and often our careers, our emotional stability, even our happiness depends on how we react to it."By Benjamin Franklin"
Robotnik
Egg
Egg

Post by Robotnik »

Having watched Nigeria vs Serbia I'm afraid Nigeria will not make it to the 2nd round
Not the kind of stuff champions are made of
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

bamenda boy wrote:
highbury wrote:He can honestly be wrong. In as much as quality is one of the ingredients in predicting future success, it is not the be all end all. To be successful, a team needs to be united, lucky, tactical, disciplined, possess great mental strength and belief. The last one being the most important. To me, that explains why the winners have come from a few countries
Is there any African team that has the aforementioned qualities?
Nigeria! Although the Serbian game made me cautious
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Well, it's a prediction and the prediction can go either way and, hence the games are played. My only FEAR are the OJORO referee's calls
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Robotnik wrote:Having watched Nigeria vs Serbia I'm afraid Nigeria will not make it to the 2nd round
Bros, don't place much importance in any of those friendlies. Whether we won or lost, they don't mean much
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

bamenda boy wrote:Honest truth.
You wouldn’t feel that way if Cameroon was in the World Cup, you hypocrite :!:

Cheers.
Comrade Machel
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Comrade Machel »

I don't agree or disagree with him but I would be shocked if an African country reached the quarter finals :cry: I and I hope I am pleasantly surprised because we need it
Ratlala :thumbs: :D

https://youtu.be/8CZLsYase0Q
TonyTheTigerKiller
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by TonyTheTigerKiller »

Cheers.
bamenda boy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by bamenda boy »

TonyTheTigerKiller wrote:

Cheers.
I am happy that useless country did not go to waste space.
nemi2002
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by nemi2002 »

Ghana in 2010. Wish they made it tthrough even though dem midgets for make noise
bully12
Egg
Egg

Post by bully12 »

With the players Rohr is parading right now I have strong doubts if Nigeria will make it out of the group stage without mincing words. We have strikers who have very poor scoring records , Wingers who could not place one decent cross., mid fielders who can not pull off
one decent dribble and place a good pass. Rohr is too conservative that's the bane of this team and have foolish allegiance
to some inept and feckless players. There is no question about it if Rohr picks the right players Nigeria will excel because we are loaded with very highly skilled and inordinately talented players that have not been given adequate chance to make a claim with the national team .
heavyd
Egg
Egg

Post by heavyd »

bully12 wrote:With the players Rohr is parading right now I have strong doubts if Nigeria will make it out of the group stage without mincing words. We have strikers who have very poor scoring records , Wingers who could not place one decent cross., mid fielders who can not pull off
one decent dribble and place a good pass. Rohr is too conservative that's the bane of this team and have foolish allegiance
to some inept and feckless players. There is no question about it if Rohr picks the right players Nigeria will excel because we are loaded with very highly skilled and inordinately talented players that have not been given adequate chance to make a claim with the national team .
kindly list these players please. Thanks
YNWA
oloye
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by oloye »

pajimoh wrote:Was he honest about his football age? :tic:
Bobo mi, what has this got to do with what he said? Kai Nigerians.. :lol:
"There is big pressure at this club as you cannot be like the manager at Arsenal and ask for five years to try and to win one trophy" - Jose Mourinho

.... I believe in God. I try to be a good man so He can have a bit of time to give me a hand when I need it - Jose Mourinho
Dammy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Dammy »

Robotnik wrote:Having watched Nigeria vs Serbia I'm afraid Nigeria will not make it to the 2nd round
I will not place too much emphasis on the Serbia game and it's not because we lost. The real test was against Poland in a hostile environment with a competitive nature before a full house. In contrast, the Serbia game was like a friendly or training ground kickabout devoid of atmosphere. Most countries did not take the 2nd friendlies serious as players were already thinking of club games on the weekend. Serbia took the game more seriously as they lost their previous friendly to Morocco.
Last edited by Dammy on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am happy
Scipio Africanus
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Scipio Africanus »

I predict that Cameroon will not be in Russia

Wha choo looking at?!
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

oloye wrote:
pajimoh wrote:Was he honest about his football age? :tic:
Bobo mi, what has this got to do with what he said? Kai Nigerians.. :lol:
Egbon mi, not much o. I'm not faulting him for expressing his opinion o. But just like a good lawyer, I'm testing his "I don't like to lie to people" comment by trying to see how truthful he was in the past :tic:
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Eaglezbeak
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Eaglezbeak »

Cameroon definitely will not be anywhere after the first round of games!
WHAT SHALL BE SHALL BE SABI