Breaking news: Mugabe Wenger to go @ end of the season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Breaking news: Mugabe Wenger to go @ end of the season

Post by anikulapo »

theYemster wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
Cellular wrote:Arsenal once again shows it is run by accountants.

Once those empty seats became a mainstay and club paraphernalia wasn't selling as much... it was time to lead the old geezer to pasture.

I remember years ago telling Waffi and Robby on this site that the reason why Arsenal wasn't spending big wasn't because of no damn stadium... they are a bottomline club. When you spend big on players, you demand results... back-to-back missing out on 4th place trophy after spending on players is enough to send Wenger packing.
It took 4 years of me refusing to buy the jersey lol. I am a fan of Wenger. He is a great manager. But it was time. He should have stepped down after the FA cup victory. I even opened a thread on that. The likes of Waffi and Skylolo were attacking me. They said I was a hater. It is actually the opossite. Wenger is the reason why I am an Arsenal fan.
Yeah that must've been it. :)

Imagine the madness :rotf:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
charlie
Egg
Egg

Post by charlie »

This news is long overdue.
Arsene Wenger has done wonders for Arsenal the club. He deserves a wing in the stadium named after him for his services.
But the team has become stale in recent years. Predictably mediocre, and it will only get worse if he continues at the helm.
Time for new blood, new ideas, new leadership. Its the only way to grow.
Kola nut lasts long for those that savor it
mcal
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by mcal »

...the beginning of the end of the club known as Arsenal. Mid table to relegation battle :shock: :scared:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

There was an Arsenal before Wenger. I hear the former Dortmund boss is linked.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

anikulapo wrote:
theYemster wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Once those empty seats became a mainstay and club paraphernalia wasn't selling as much... it was time to lead the old geezer to pasture.

I remember years ago telling Waffi and Robby on this site that the reason why Arsenal wasn't spending big wasn't because of no damn stadium... they are a bottomline club. When you spend big on players, you demand results... back-to-back missing out on 4th place trophy after spending on players is enough to send Wenger packing.
It took 4 years of me refusing to buy the jersey lol. I am a fan of Wenger. He is a great manager. But it was time. He should have stepped down after the FA cup victory. I even opened a thread on that. The likes of Waffi and Skylolo were attacking me. They said I was a hater. It is actually the opossite. Wenger is the reason why I am an Arsenal fan.

:lol: :lol: Ohenhen is one of the forumers I have on my list that I would love to meet in person... just out of curiousity. :D
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
wiseone
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by wiseone »

Agree. The Old Man has done a wonderful job for Arsenal and has been a great servant to the club and EPL. An Arsene Wenger Stand would be deserved.

Next up (if I was Arsenal chair): Ancelotti or Simeone...
charlie wrote:This news is long overdue.
Arsene Wenger has done wonders for Arsenal the club. He deserves a wing in the stadium named after him for his services.
But the team has become stale in recent years. Predictably mediocre, and it will only get worse if he continues at the helm.
Time for new blood, new ideas, new leadership. Its the only way to grow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Still in wait and see mode. Why did they force him out? Sales are down.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

Cellular wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
theYemster wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

:lol: :lol: Ohenhen is one of the forumers I have on my list that I would love to meet in person... just out of curiousity. :D

See Agbaya :taunt: :taunt: you remind me of the teenagers who go to the market to taunt the Village madman :mrgreen:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

You are not a real football fan if you cannot recognize this at this time.

There are football fans, there are trolls....then there are clowns....
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
azuka
Egg
Egg

Post by azuka »

txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

Wooow.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

There are also those who lack the ability to truly reason. Arsenal is now one of the most financially viable sporting entities in the world. So, how can we be so provincial in our thinking to simply consider this argument as BW or AW (Before Wenger or After Wenger).

C'mon now! Nobody is disputing said facts, the most vocal facts KNOW everything which you have just stated, to base your argument on that is disingenuous.

And let it also be known that Arsenal is not even Chelsea for that matter, with regards to the Abramovich era. 10/13 Arsenal top flight titles are BW (lets use this moronic abbreviation for arguments sake).Arsenal's only 2 league cups were BW. Half of Arsena's FA Cups were BW. Arsenal's highest European accolade was BW!

Wenger brought with him, a beautiful form of football and flair, but he certainly did not make the club, actually I have highlighted that over the course of the entire history of the game, they had won more without him. Now one might say that Wenger's tenure spanned 2 decades, and my titles go back to 1929, but the fact remains that nobody is questioning the competency of Arsene Wenger in the Mid 90s or Mid 2000s, what we simply recognize is that the game has left Wenger, and he cannot be considered one of Europe's elite managers anymore.

Going back to my opening remark, the fact that the club is now in good health (testament to people like Wenger) is all the more reason why he should leave! The club is no longer a fragile entity, whose hopes rests on personalities! It is now a strong and viable entity. Let it be known for that matter that the most successful clubs in Europe for the past 15 or so years have not relied on any single figures either. So we are left with a manager, who is not necessarily archaic but not the crème de la crème, a club that is viable and a model of replacing under-performing managers (that is viable, if for no other reason than financial and personnel rejuvenation).

This is may very well be a case of self-inflicted obsolescence. I will agree with you in part, it is because of Wenger that we no longer need Wenger. The club has now outgrown him.
Last edited by Tbite on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

http://www.naijiant.com/
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I will even go as far as to say that the ownership of Arsenal PLC are themselves not indispensable.

So let us not go that route either. The top clubs in Europe are all viable. Managers can change hands and they will endure, even ownership can change hands and they will endure.

Arsenal is a lucrative entity that the best of the best are all interested in, both from a financial standpoint, from a footballing standpoint and due to its historical legacy, made stronger by greats like Arsene Wenger.

It is bigger than Kroenke, Usmanov, Gazidis, Wenger, Viera, Henry. This is a VERY viable club. Do not insult it.

And that is the way it should be! The fact that Arsenal is a more significant and viable entity than these individuals, means that Wenger has succeeded! If Arsenal needed Wenger to endure, then he would have failed!

Fortunately Wenger has not failed! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
txj
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by txj »

Tbite wrote:

There are also those who lack the ability to truly reason. Arsenal is now one of the most financially viable sporting entities in the world. So, how can we be so provincial in our thinking to simply consider this argument as BW or AW (Before Wenger or After Wenger).

C'mon now! Nobody is disputing said facts, the most vocal facts KNOW everything which you have just stated, to base your argument on that is disingenuous.

And let it also be known that Arsenal is not even Chelsea for that matter, with regards to the Abramovich era. 10/13 Arsenal top flight titles are BW (lets use this moronic abbreviation for arguments sake).Arsenal's only 2 league cups were BW. Half of Arsena's FA Cups were BW. Arsenal's highest European accolade was BW!

Wenger brought with him, a beautiful form of football and flair, but he certainly did not make the club, actually I have highlighted that over the course of the entire history of the game, they had won more without him. Now one might say that Wenger's tenure spanned 2 decades, and my titles go back to 1929, but the fact remains that nobody is questioning the competency of Arsene Wenger in the Mid 90s or Mid 2000s, what we simply recognize is that the game has left Wenger, and he cannot be considered one of Europe's elite managers anymore.

Going back to my opening remark, the fact that the club is now in good health (testament to people like Wenger) is all the more reason why he should leave! The club is no longer a fragile entity, whose hopes rests on personalities! It is now a strong and viable entity. Let it be known for that matter that the most successful clubs in Europe for the past 15 or so years have not relied on any single figures either. So we are left with a manager, who is not necessarily archaic but not the crème de la crème, a club that is viable and a model of replacing under-performing managers (that is viable, if for no other reason than financial and personnel rejuvenation).

This is may very well be a case of self-inflicted obsolescence. I will agree with you in part, it is because of Wenger that we no longer need Wenger. The club has now outgrown him.
They may 'know' it, but they have no appreciation of what it truly means. That is the real tragedy of the moment...

As a fan of a club that was a few hours from administration and has now fully rediscovered itself, I would urge Arsenal fans to focus on the true value of the club Wenger has bequeathed them. That is what should guide you in the choice of a new manager...
Form is temporary; Class is Permanent!
Liverpool, European Champions 2005.

We watched this very boring video, 500 times, of Sacchi doing defensive drills, using sticks and without the ball, with Maldini, Baresi and Albertini. We used to think before then that if the other players are better, you have to lose. After that we learned anything is possible – you can beat better teams by using tactics." Jurgen Klopp
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

txj wrote:
Tbite wrote:

They may 'know' it, but they have no appreciation of what it truly means. That is the real tragedy of the moment...

As a fan of a club that was a few hours from administration and has now fully rediscovered itself, I would urge Arsenal fans to focus on the true value of the club Wenger has bequeathed them. That is what should guide you in the choice of a new manager...
I don't disagree. They should appreciate all he did, and he is the best manager the club ever had and the second most influential manager in the Premier League's history.

but that does not also take away from the fact that he had to leave. He is great, he is to be appreciated, but he had to leave. He had to leave, he had to leave. Hence, the empty seats.

The fact that we have this feeling that the fans are unappreciative is ONLY because he left too late. EVERY SINGLE Arsenal fan loves Arsene Wenger and appreciate him. The only reason why it may appear that they do not respect him, is because they have become so invested in ushering him out! He is the reason why Arsenal fans have become this way.

They are class fans, and I am sure they will take on board your warning. They will want to emulate his philosophy and values. Arsene Wenger gave me some of the best footballing memories in my life! I will never forget! But.....................He had to............?
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

Appreciate what? This isn't a family business. Wenger was great for the club but overstayed his welcome a decade ago and was not held to account by the club's senior management. Just because he was great in the 90s and early 2000s doesn't mean we should bow down to him forever. No one ever says that a club should continue to employ a washed-up striker just because they bagged 30 goals a season a decade ago. He has consistently under-performed for a decade and tarnished his legacy as a result. Kai, I would hate to work with some of you. You Wenger fans sound like a bunch of government employees. Imagine working with you guys in business..."Yeah, well he hasn't met his sales targets for 10 years but don't forget that he was a rainmaker when our company was down in the dumps!" Give me an effin break.
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

Heliopolis wrote:Appreciate what? This isn't a family business. Wenger was great for the club but overstayed his welcome a decade ago and was not held to account by the club's senior management. Just because he was great in the 90s and early 2000s doesn't mean we should bow down to him forever. No one ever says that a club should continue to employ a washed-up striker just because they bagged 30 goals a season a decade ago. He has consistently under-performed for a decade and tarnished his legacy as a result. Kai, I would hate to work with some of you. You Wenger fans sound like a bunch of government employees. Imagine working with you guys in business..."Yeah, well he hasn't met his sales targets for 10 years but don't forget that he was a rainmaker when our company was down in the dumps!" Give me an effin break.
We all know what really happened, and I really have to question Kroenke.

I actually would hope that Kroene sells and leaves, but one issue at a time.

Your analogy is correct, but we do know that due to the peculiar circumstance and nature of this business, Arsenal was viable in spite of their failures. I don't know if they still do, but at least in the past they had the highest ticket prices, they managed to make the CL year in year out, they managed to get some of the best Broadcast/commercial deals in the PL. So Arsenal was doing great and is doing great. The past year has been the only major concern for Kroenke and his like. These are people that never responded! Even in the middle of the storm, Kroenke did not get off his chair, he sent his son!

So the owners do not care about the clubs values! They are a disgrace to football!

I only HOPE that I am wrong, and the only reason why they did not sack Wenger is because they were afraid of how strong his legacy had become, and not because they were satisfied with his ability to steady Arsenal's revenue earnings.

I hope Kroenke is not as bad as I think he is. I really hope so.
Cito
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Cito »

Cellular wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
theYemster wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Add Kajifu and danfo to that list. :D
"Learn from others whom have walked the path before you, but be smart enough to know when to cut your own trail."
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Cito wrote:
Cellular wrote:
anikulapo wrote:
theYemster wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:

Add Kajifu and danfo to that list. :D
ohen and kaji for me

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

danfo driver
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by danfo driver »

A Great Manager.
“Everyone has the power for greatness, not for fame but greatness, because greatness is determined by service.” Martin Luther King Jr.
His service to Arsenal is undeniable. He took on a club and significantly changed the culture of the club, both in and out of the pitch. The same way Cruyff influenced Barcelona, Fergie influenced United and Helenio Herrera had influenced Inter. Arsenal is Arsene Wenger's Arsenal.

I wish, for him, that 10 years from now, he will remember the great times and the true feelings Gooners have for him and not the last 3 years were he was insulted.

Arsene Wenger, a truly great manager. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Last edited by danfo driver on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"it is better to be excited now and disappointed later, than it is to be disappointed now and later." - Marcus Aurelius, 178AD
metalalloy wrote: Does the SE have Gray, Mahrez or Albrighton on our team or players of their caliber?
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Waffiman wrote:Alas, there goes my football hero.

Arsenal became a loved and respected club by neutrals and even some detractors because of Arsene Wenger and the values he personified; beautiful football, class, honesty, loyalty and consistency.

He transformed AFC into a modern colossus and his imprint will remain on English and World football for ages.

Au revoir Arsene. Thanks for the wonderful memories. :clap: :clap:

Waffi, I break with you here. You have joined those who have never been to the Emirates. Me I support Mr. Wenger until he decides to retire.
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mcal wrote:...the beginning of the end of the club known as Arsenal. Mid table to relegation battle :shock: :scared:
Psst, Arsenal is already mid-table.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

danfo driver wrote:A Great Manager.
“Everyone has the power for greatness, not for fame but greatness, because greatness is determined by service.” Martin Luther King Jr.
His service to Arsenal is undeniable. He took on a club and significantly changed the culture of the club, both in and out of the pitch. The same way Cruyff influenced Barcelona, Fergie influenced United and Helenio Herrera had influenced Inter. Arsenal is Arsene Wenger's Arsenal.

I wish, for him, that 10 years from now, he will remember the great times and the true feelings Gooners have for him and not the last 3 years were he was insulted.

Arsene Wenger, a truly great manager. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ha...enemy of Arsenal...OK o...Ogbeni, anoda Fiera and Anri waiting to torment you :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."