Breaking news: Mugabe Wenger to go @ end of the season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Breaking news: Mugabe Wenger to go @ end of the season

Post by metalalloy »

The YeyeMan wrote:
theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:The end of an era. Wenger - an Arsenal legend. Time to put aside the petty quibbles about whether he overstayed or not and just take a moment to marvel and respect the impact this man had on the game. It's a moment for Arsenal fans in particular to demonstrate some class, just as their manager has done throughout his career.
Why should we put it aside? We can still discuss it...that's what the forum is for, discussing. You don't have to partake in it but you shouldn't have to censor others if they're not breaking the forum rules. Nothing classless in that...as long as he's not personally insulted. We're not kids in kindergarten where we are expected to get along and sing kumbaya together. He won frickin football games...he didn't cure cancer.
I'm not for censoring any debate. Those who wish to harp on about Wenger staying on for too long or his mistakes or whatever are free to do so but are really missing the moment. Those people have been saying the same thing for the past X years so nothing new there; today is the moment to appreciate what he brought to the game.
:clap:
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
YUJAM
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by YUJAM »

The board pushed him out

http://www.espn.com/soccer/club/arsenal ... ve-arsenal

Great legacy though
Ghana's First President Kwame Nkrumah said: "We face neither East nor West; we face Forward"
anikulapo
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by anikulapo »

YUJAM wrote:The board pushed him out

Great legacy though

Stop sharing fake news and speculation .... Gabe Marcotti is a bigot and a Buffoon along with being a clown :roll:
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.....

"“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.”

MLK.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Great legacy though
Yeah the CNN world sport reporter all but confirmed it. He said they asked Gazidis if it was Wenger's decision or the Board's and he refused to answer.
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The YeyeMan wrote:Because three FA Cup wins in four years, and a semi final (minimum) appearance in the Europa League is a sign of mediocrity. Give me strength! :roll:
Dude let's try and be objective. Arsenal is down to 6th, from 5th last year, and 33 points off of first place, steadily regressing the past few years save for the one season they were runners up to Leicester, a season where all the top teams had an off year yet Arsenal still couldn't take advantage and win the league. So yes for a club of Arsenal's stature and wealth, it's a mediocre return. Keep in mind this is over a thirteen year spell.

Stop taking a favorable snapshot to further your agenda.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Great legacy though
That is in no doubt as i dont see Wenger like a man who can step down on his own
kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Cellular wrote:The club was on a downward spiral.
At what point do the "real" fans think it was okay to let him go?
Arsenal was quickly turning into Liverpool, some will say Everton or Westham.
How many empty seats does it take?
You fancy yourself a big club and you accept mediocrity like a small club?
There were no signs that this season does not indicate a trend.
Thanks for the memories. If he had stayed any longer he would have been fired midseason.
:clap: :clap: :clap: Wenger can take this team to championship and some will tell us how great he was.
He is not good anymore to compete for EPL and CL.This is a man who si a top 3-4 most paid EPL coach.A man making 10million a year and guys acting like he was working for free at Arsenal.A man who has take the club backward.
To those his fans we warn you all and glad he was forced to step down or would have been fired the Trump way over the phone.Arsenal has make him one of the richest coaches in the game.
All the nyash licker should stick where the sun dont shine and please dont forget to follow him out of the club.
Chief Ogbunigwe
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Chief Ogbunigwe »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

You are not a real football fan if you cannot recognize this at this time.

There are football fans, there are trolls....then there are clowns....
Dude!

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! HELLOOOOOO!"

He overstayed his welcome. I like how the Americans treat sports... the essence is to win. Great coaches do get fired. And if you stay in a place long enough you will get fired.

They are about to finish in 6th place... it is not good enough! Their main rivals are getting better.
The sentimental BS just doesn't cut it especially when it is beginning to affect the bottomline.
Maybe at Pool you guys love talking about how you were winning trophies before color TV was invented...
Cellular no gree o....
AFCON 2019 sweet o
Barren for 37 yrs no good o

New member and Titled Chief, Distant Gunners Consortium.
"This is an island surrounded by water, big water, ocean water."
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Great legacy though
According to the most reliable of Arsenal sources:

David Ornstein: “It is my understanding the club were prepared to see how the season concluded and, provided there was not a catastrophe, leave AW in charge until the end of his deal next summer.”

Ornstein: “Until extremely recently, even some of the most powerful people at the club did not know this was coming. Indeed, there remained a feeling he may see out his contract.“

Now the fans will focus on the Americans if they don't get it right at Arsenal. The man who held it all together is going, the vast majority of fans have no respect anymore for no one at the club. The Americans are next if they don't deliver. You should hear one or two chants already being directed at them.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:

Great legacy though
Stop sharing fake news and speculation .... Gabe Marcotti is a bigot and a Buffoon along with being a clown :roll:
It is pure rubbish and he has been exposed already on Twitter. Apart from David Ornstein, another thing they used against him was Auba saying he joined because of Wenger. Marcotti's article is crass and tasteless in terms of timing but he never liked Wenger.

I actually don't think Wenger is leaving on good terms with certain elements in the Board. I think he felt let down by more than one factor and called time on his reign at Arsenal.

I think the empty seats in recent weeks played a part in his decision and finally some of his players let him down big. Realising he cannot replace all of them may have played a part.

The pressure is now on Galzidis and his fellow Americans. There is a section in the fan base that want to get at the Americans, if they don't get it right, expect pure nastiness.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Beyond the Double, beyond one of the most brilliant teams ever seen in England, for me, the most impressive thing about Wenger is the grace with which he has dealt with relentless and half-baked criticism and abuse during his time at the club. I remember how he had to face off the press and their paedophile rumours in his first few days at the club.

All you have to do is browse this thread and the main Arsenal thread, then read the abuse and insults. The same type of people in their minority are like empty vessels, they make the most noise. The man has almost never ranted, never shown bitterness, despite his immense achievements being dragged through the mud by many.

He made mistakes, putting the mistakes aside, his achievements will be sung from the rooftops in the next few weeks, and rightly so.

His appointment hauled English football into the best of 21st century football, he introduced so many inmovations to the game but what you hardly hear is how generous he was. For example, when others came and asked about his ideas, he explained and demostrated it to them. When Roman eamted to build Chelsea's training ground, he asked Wenger to see Arsenal's, Wenger took him on a guided tour of Arsenal's facility.

The man guarded Arsenal from the worst of English football whilst keeping them at the top. He remained a bastion of eloquence, perspective and dignity in an environment which was rapidly losing all three. Even in the most adverse of conditions, he never lost his sense of humour.

The Arsenal fans who have insulted him here and those who ever held up a Wenger out banner should take time out to read every single word of praise being justifiably lavished on him between now and the end of the season. They should think about how lucky they have been in the last 22 years. I know how lucky I have been, I witnessed Arsenal live and direct before Wenger and enjoyed every moment since he joined. I know I will never get such an experience in my life time again.
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

Waffiman wrote:Beyond the Double, beyond one of the most brilliant teams ever seen in England, for me, the most impressive thing about Wenger is the grace with which he has dealt with relentless and half-baked criticism and abuse during his time at the club. I remember how he had to face off the press and their paedophile rumours in his first few days at the club.

All you have to do is browse this thread and the main Arsenal thread, then read the abuse and insults. The same type of people in their minority are like empty vessels, they make the most noise. The man has almost never ranted, never shown bitterness, despite his immense achievements being dragged through the mud by many.

He made mistakes, putting the mistakes aside, his achievements will be sung from the rooftops in the next few weeks, and rightly so.

His appointment hauled English football into the best of 21st century football, he introduced so many inmovations to the game but what you hardly hear is how generous he was. For example, when others came and asked about his ideas, he explained and demostrated it to them. When Roman eamted to build Chelsea's training ground, he asked Wenger to see Arsenal's, Wenger took him on a guided tour of Arsenal's facility.

The man guarded Arsenal from the worst of English football whilst keeping them at the top. He remained a bastion of eloquence, perspective and dignity in an environment which was rapidly losing all three. Even in the most adverse of conditions, he never lost his sense of humour.

The Arsenal fans who have insulted him here and those who ever held up a Wenger out banner should take time out to read every single word of praise being justifiably lavished on him between now and the end of the season. They should think about how lucky they have been in the last 22 years. I know how lucky I have been, I witnessed Arsenal live and direct before Wenger and enjoyed every moment since he joined. I know I will never get such an experience in my life time again.
:rotf: dude get a grip
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

smartbrother wrote:
Waffiman wrote:Beyond the Double, beyond one of the most brilliant teams ever seen in England, for me, the most impressive thing about Wenger is the grace with which he has dealt with relentless and half-baked criticism and abuse during his time at the club. I remember how he had to face off the press and their paedophile rumours in his first few days at the club.

:rotf: dude get a grip
What a smart response. :taunt:
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:

Great legacy though

David Ornstein: “It is my understanding the club were prepared to see how the season concluded and, provided there was not a catastrophe, leave AW in charge until the end of his deal next summer.”

Ornstein: “Until extremely recently, even some of the most powerful people at the club did not know this was coming. Indeed, there remained a feeling he may see out his contract.“

Now the fans will focus on the Americans if they don't get it right at Arsenal. The man who held it all together is going, the vast majority of fans have no respect anymore for no one at the club. The Americans are next if they don't deliver. You should hear one or two chants already being directed at them.
one down....one to go
...i told u it would play out like this
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

"I didn't buy Arsenal stake to win trophies" Kroneke
Mzekezeke
Egg
Egg

Post by Mzekezeke »

Great legacy though
This article confirms what we all suspected. Wenger would have clung on if the opportunity was there. At last the board did the right thing for Arsenal FC.

I wish Arsene all the best for the future.
Patrick Ntsoelengo,Nelson Dladla,Petros Nzimande, Abednigo Ngcobo,Doctor Khumalo,Vusi Lamola,Gerald Dlamini,Simom Lehoko,Silvester Kole,Lucas Radebe,Jan Lichaba, Leonard Likoebe,Edson Mguyo, Arie Khongoane,Marks Maponyanye,Donald Khuse, Jabu Pule, Mark Tovey, Zebulon Nhlapo,Gabriel Tikkie Khoza,Moran Khulu,Michael Dlamini,Johannes Mofokeng, Wellinton Manyathi,Jingles Perreira....... to be continued....Amhakhosi Kaizer Chiefs!!!!!!!
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Mzekezeke wrote:

Great legacy though
This article confirms what we all suspected. Wenger would have clung on if the opportunity was there. At last the board did the right thing for Arsenal FC.

I wish Arsene all the best for the future.
can't say for sure whether the article is true.....what i do know is that this was going to be wengers last year after i saw Sven Mislintat recruit auba....writing on the wall
“If this year, you cannot compete with Spurs, with all the respect I have for them, and Leicester, then change your sport. I’m sorry.” Emmanuel Petit

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

Waffiman wrote:
anikulapo wrote:

Great legacy though
It is pure rubbish and he has been exposed already on Twitter. Apart from David Ornstein, another thing they used against him was Auba saying he joined because of Wenger. Marcotti's article is crass and tasteless in terms of timing but he never liked Wenger.

I actually don't think Wenger is leaving on good terms with certain elements in the Board. I think he felt let down by more than one factor and called time on his reign at Arsenal.

I think the empty seats in recent weeks played a part in his decision and finally some of his players let him down big. Realising he cannot replace all of them may have played a part.

The pressure is now on Galzidis and his fellow Americans. There is a section in the fan base that want to get at the Americans, if they don't get it right, expect pure nastiness.
empty seats at the emirates?.......weren't you the same on that was saying that I have never been to the stadium before, so I didn't know what I was talking about?
...aren't the fans are ill informed?......haven't you shown your trust and support for the board in times past? :D
...if I had time I would dig out that thread.....just letting you know I'm blocking all your flip flop paths :wink:

theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Waffiman wrote:

Great legacy though

Well some would say 6th position (and falling), 33 points off of pole position, 14 points off of top 4, and 9 points off of Europa qualification qualifies as a catastrophe.

The same Ornstein that's saying Wenger would've walked away last season but because Arsenal didn't have a succession plan in place??? If that's the case then it's an indictment on both the Board and Wenger himself. And of that was the case then Wenger should've said last year that he was staying for only one season while a replacement is found instead of signing a two year deal and not saying it's his final contract and then announcing midseason he's leaving at the end of the season. Truth is Ornstein knew nothing about this decision to oust Wenger and is just speculating to protect Wenger's rep.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Gooner1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Great legacy though

one down....one to go
I told him as well but he kept talking tough. I remember when Wenger renewed his contract after the team finished 5th and he was beating his chest that Wenger finally got his way with team control. I told him things will get worse and now here we are.

Anyways hopefully he gets a decent send-off with the Europa Cup.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
pajimoh
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by pajimoh »

Some are concentrating on the negative side of his reign. No matter who you are, life is like a coin, you get two sides. Sweet times and bitter times, positive things and negative occurrences.

This is the time to remember the man for the good things he achieved.

List the number of league titles, cups and years in Europe? Above all the stability, respectability and pride he gave to the club and generation of fans.

He was the manager for a transition period but maybe not for growth period.

In any case, for another manager to better what Wenger achieved, would take monumental successes. That is the worry, the challenge. The ghost of Arsene will haunt that club for a while before the exorcism
Last edited by pajimoh on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Super Eagles - Fly Above The Storm!!!
Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

theYemster wrote:
Gooner1 wrote:
Waffiman wrote:

Great legacy though

one down....one to go
I told him as well but he kept talking tough. I remember when Wenger renewed his contract after the team finished 5th and he was beating his chest that Wenger finally got his way with team control. I told him things will get worse and now here we are.

Anyways hopefully he gets a decent send-off with the Europa Cup.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
bro....i remember the back and forth we had with Waffi, personally i thought wenger would force the boards hand at the end of the season, thankfully wenger saw sense.
Prior to this announcement I was not even remotely interested in the europa cup.......but the team should make it their top priority to win it for wenger.....would be a glorious send off :D

Gooner1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Gooner1 »

pajimoh wrote:Some ate concentrating on the negative side of his reign. No matter who you are, life is like a coin, you get two sides. Sweet times and bitter times, positive things and negative occurrences.

This is the time to remember the man for the good things he achieved.

List the number of league titles, cups and years in Europe? Above all the stability, respectability and pride he gave to the club and generation of fans.

He was the manager for a transition period but maybe not for growth period.

In any case, for another manager to better what Wenger achieved, would take monumental successes. That is the worry, the challenge. The ghost of Arsene will haunt that club for a while before the exorcism
we have to start somewhere, there are 2 battles to fight.....one on the pitch,one in the boardroom......Kroneke has to GO!! :curse: :curse:

Coach
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Coach »

Sources, of questionable credibility, claiming Robert was told to step down or suffer the indignity of being sacked. Surely not. Granted Wengabe had earned the right to fired but does Beloved have the cajones for such Machiavellianism? Hard to believe.