Breaking news: Mugabe Wenger to go @ end of the season

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

mmeny
Eaglet
Eaglet
Re: Breaking news: Mugabe Wenger to go @ end of the season

Post by mmeny »

txj wrote:
theYemster wrote:
txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

You are not a real football fan if you cannot recognize this at this time.

There are football fans, there are trolls....then there are clowns....
99% of Arsenal/Wenger critics appreciate what Wenger did for the club early in his managerial career. That was never the basis of the criticism. The discontent comes from the past decade and you may disagree but to act like the criticism is unwarranted is simply disingenuous. The notion that he helped grow the club means he is thus untouchable is ludicrous. Firstly he was very handsomely rewarded for his services. Secondly, there are many people who actually started (and owned) companies and still had to step aside at some point. Ted Turner, Steve Jobs, Travis Kalanick, come to mind.

Enough with the straw man argument abeg.

My point, which you clearly lack the intelligence to decipher, is that at this moment, we can and should all be able to pause and simply pay respect...

True fans recognize this...
Leave them alone they don't get it.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Just because cat sabi swim no mean say him be catfish - M.I
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

The YeyeMan wrote:
theYemster wrote:
The YeyeMan wrote:The end of an era. Wenger - an Arsenal legend. Time to put aside the petty quibbles about whether he overstayed or not and just take a moment to marvel and respect the impact this man had on the game. It's a moment for Arsenal fans in particular to demonstrate some class, just as their manager has done throughout his career.
Why should we put it aside? We can still discuss it...that's what the forum is for, discussing. You don't have to partake in it but you shouldn't have to censor others if they're not breaking the forum rules. Nothing classless in that...as long as he's not personally insulted. We're not kids in kindergarten where we are expected to get along and sing kumbaya together. He won frickin football games...he didn't cure cancer.
I'm not for censoring any debate. Those who wish to harp on about Wenger staying on for too long or his mistakes or whatever are free to do so but are really missing the moment. Those people have been saying the same thing for the past X years so nothing new there; today is the moment to appreciate what he brought to the game.
Like I pointed out to txj many of his critics including me appreciate what he did and personally speaking is more reason why I am upset at him for tarnishing his legacy. Even though I became a fan of Arsenel just before he was hired, he was the major factor in me starting on as a fan. At one time I was a fan of Sheffield Wednesday, Real, Ajax and Milan...but I stayed and have remained an Arsenal fan...and Stationery Stores. :)
O-Qua Tangin Wann! Die with memories, not dreams.™

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nkume
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Nkume »

Rubbish thread!
"Our enemies are the political profiteers, the swindlers, the men in high and low places that seek bribes and demand 10 percent; those that seek to keep the country divided permanently so that they can remain in office as ministers or VIPs at least, the tribalists, the nepotists, those that make the country look big for nothing before international circles, those that have corrupted our society and put the Nigerian political calendar back by their words and deeds." - Kaduna Nzeogwu
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Cellular wrote:
txj wrote:In many a club, there's a new generation of fans who are in a vocal majority. Many of them, sad to say have no sense of history, or even a deep knowledge of the game. A perfect example being Southampton fans who clamored for the sack of Puel and have now led their club to almost certain relegation...

The reality is that Arsenal was a provincial club in London, with serial 1-0 wins bagged to the arsenal until a wiry Frenchman showed up from, of all places Japan!

In 22 years, the man not only changed the way football is played and players developed in England, but built this provincial club into a global brand. Nobody has ever done this in football.

Sure, we can quibble about tactics and selections, trophies won or lost, but people should learn to pay respect.

Dude!

"YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME! HELLOOOOOO!"

He overstayed his welcome. I like how the Americans treat sports... the essence is to win. Great coaches do get fired. And if you stay in a place long enough you will get fired.

They are about to finish in 6th place... it is not good enough! Their main rivals are getting better.
The sentimental BS just doesn't cut it especially when it is beginning to affect the bottomline.
Maybe at Pool you guys love talking about how you were winning trophies before color TV was invented...
Terry Francona won two world series championships for the Boston Red Sox after like over a century of futility. He got sacked a couple of years after cos the team sucked. Unlike Belichick, the guy is one of the most beloved people you'd ever meet. No sentiment. Speaking about Belichick, the day he stops winning he too will be out. Joe Torre won how many titles with the Yankees, he too was dropped like a hot potato.

Wenger did a great job but he was also very well compensated. He will get another gig if he wants it. Yeah give him his props cos he's earned it but to question ones fandom because they also choose to highlight his failures is absolute nonsense. When Fergie quit I vividly remember many talking about his antics with the refs while simultaneously recognizing his accomplishments. Even the sports channels are doing the exact same thing as I watch right now.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

mmeny wrote:
txj wrote:
theYemster wrote:

99% of Arsenal/Wenger critics appreciate what Wenger did for the club early in his managerial career. That was never the basis of the criticism. The discontent comes from the past decade and you may disagree but to act like the criticism is unwarranted is simply disingenuous. The notion that he helped grow the club means he is thus untouchable is ludicrous. Firstly he was very handsomely rewarded for his services. Secondly, there are many people who actually started (and owned) companies and still had to step aside at some point. Ted Turner, Steve Jobs, Travis Kalanick, come to mind.

My point, which you clearly lack the intelligence to decipher, is that at this moment, we can and should all be able to pause and simply pay respect...

Leave them alone they don't get it.... :clap: :clap: :clap:
Neither does this guy abi? Messrs "True Fans". Pfft!!! :roll:

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

txj wrote:
Tbite wrote:

There are also those who lack the ability to truly reason. Arsenal is now one of the most financially viable sporting entities in the world. So, how can we be so provincial in our thinking to simply consider this argument as BW or AW (Before Wenger or After Wenger).

C'mon now! Nobody is disputing said facts, the most vocal facts KNOW everything which you have just stated, to base your argument on that is disingenuous.

And let it also be known that Arsenal is not even Chelsea for that matter, with regards to the Abramovich era. 10/13 Arsenal top flight titles are BW (lets use this moronic abbreviation for arguments sake).Arsenal's only 2 league cups were BW. Half of Arsena's FA Cups were BW. Arsenal's highest European accolade was BW!

Wenger brought with him, a beautiful form of football and flair, but he certainly did not make the club, actually I have highlighted that over the course of the entire history of the game, they had won more without him. Now one might say that Wenger's tenure spanned 2 decades, and my titles go back to 1929, but the fact remains that nobody is questioning the competency of Arsene Wenger in the Mid 90s or Mid 2000s, what we simply recognize is that the game has left Wenger, and he cannot be considered one of Europe's elite managers anymore.

Going back to my opening remark, the fact that the club is now in good health (testament to people like Wenger) is all the more reason why he should leave! The club is no longer a fragile entity, whose hopes rests on personalities! It is now a strong and viable entity. Let it be known for that matter that the most successful clubs in Europe for the past 15 or so years have not relied on any single figures either. So we are left with a manager, who is not necessarily archaic but not the crème de la crème, a club that is viable and a model of replacing under-performing managers (that is viable, if for no other reason than financial and personnel rejuvenation).

This is may very well be a case of self-inflicted obsolescence. I will agree with you in part, it is because of Wenger that we no longer need Wenger. The club has now outgrown him.
They may 'know' it, but they have no appreciation of what it truly means. That is the real tragedy of the moment...

As a fan of a club that was a few hours from administration and has now fully rediscovered itself, I would urge Arsenal fans to focus on the true value of the club Wenger has bequeathed them. That is what should guide you in the choice of a new manager...
Please continue to educate. There is no Gooner I know that does not feel what you are saying.
Arsène Wenger at Arsenal, 1996 to 2018. I was there.
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Enugu II wrote:I rarely write and/or talk about foreign club football but surely this is an end to a great era, IMHO. This guy was one of the truly great giants of football. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Hear! Hear! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

anikulapo wrote:
txj wrote:
theYemster wrote:

Oh lawdy Lawdy see finishing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

paj wrote:I'm pissed. :evil: NOW Arsenal may get a coach that could actually start winning things.. :twisted:
Nah! Stay where you are. We don't want you back. :taunt: :taunt: :taunt:
Tbite
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Tbite »

I have great respect for Wenger and I really do wish him the best. I hope he goes on to win the Europa with Arsenal, and maybe even the CL with another team.
Buhari, whose two terms thankfully ground to a constitutional halt in May. (One thing both democracies have going for them is that their leaders, however bad, have only two terms to swing the wrecking ball.) Under Buhari, growth per head also plunged to 0. An economic agenda drawn from the dusty pages of a 1970s protectionist handbook failed to do the trick. Despite Buhari’s promise to tame terrorism and criminality, violence flourished. Despite his reputation for probity, corruption swirled. FT
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

The YeyeMan wrote:The end of an era. Wenger - an Arsenal legend. Time to put aside the petty quibbles about whether he overstayed or not and just take a moment to marvel and respect the impact this man had on the game. It's a moment for Arsenal fans in particular to demonstrate some class, just as their manager has done throughout his career.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Tobi17
Egg
Egg

Post by Tobi17 »

Wenger is still world class enough to land a gig at any top class club right now, yes I said it!!!
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

Tobi17 wrote:Wenger is still world class enough to land a gig at any top class club right now, yes I said it!!!
Won't be surprised if he shows up at PSG next.
theYemster
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by theYemster »

Tobi17 wrote:Wenger is still world class enough to land a gig at any top class club right now, yes I said it!!!
No question. However unlike at Arsenal he won't have the luxury of not being held accountable for mediocrity for over a decade.

© ɹ ǝ ʇ s ɯ é ʎ ǝ ɥ ʇ
" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

txj wrote:
theYemster wrote:

My point, which you clearly lack the intelligence to decipher,......
If your point needs "deciphering" it probably wasn't intelligently written
bouncino
Egg
Egg

Post by bouncino »

Quite an interesting day.
I have criticized AW lately but I can't say I am a happy man now.
Like they say, every good must come to an end. NOBODY can take away what he has done in Arsenal.
Wondering how it would feel with another soul at that dug out.
Arsene, the LEGEND of Arsenal
cic old boy
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by cic old boy »

Guardian reporting that he jumped b/4 he was pushed - the leaving was to preempt the sack at the end of the season.
http://www.naijiant.com/
Waffiman
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Waffiman »

cic old boy wrote:Guardian reporting that he jumped b/4 he was pushed - the leaving was to preempt the sack at the end of the season.
David Ornstein: “It is my understanding the club were prepared to see how the season concluded and, provided there was not a catastrophe, leave AW in charge until the end of his deal next summer.”

Ornstein: “Until extremely recently, even some of the most powerful people at the club did not know this was coming. Indeed, there remained a feeling he may see out his contract.“
Cellular
Site Admin
Site Admin
Location: Nembe Creek...Oil Exploration. If you call am bunkering na you sabi.

Post by Cellular »

The club was on a downward spiral.
At what point do the "real" fans think it was okay to let him go?
Arsenal was quickly turning into Liverpool, some will say Everton or Westham.
How many empty seats does it take?
You fancy yourself a big club and you accept mediocrity like a small club?
There were no signs that this season does not indicate a trend.
Thanks for the memories. If he had stayed any longer he would have been fired midseason.
THERE WAS A COUNTRY...

...can't cry more than the bereaved!

Well done is better than well said!!!
The YeyeMan
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by The YeyeMan »

Because three FA Cup wins in four years, and a semi final (minimum) appearance in the Europa League is a sign of mediocrity. Give me strength! :roll:
danfo driver quotes:
"Great! Now it begins." - Jan 25, 2024
-
Cellular quotes:
"The Yeyeman is hardly ever vulgar when dealing with anyone. " - Mar 23, 2018
"Thank God na oyibo be coach." - Nov 16, 2017
"I will take Trump over Clinton but I am in the minority." - Jul 19, 2016

© The YeyeMan 2024
This post is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.
It is not authorised by CyberEagles. You assume all risk for your use. All rights reserved.
tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

danfo driver wrote:
tfco wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

We purists thank you for your services Arsene.
:rotf: :rotf:
I thought he was a neutralist? Abi na neutralized purist? :lol:
:D :D
if one has to go around proclaiming that one is a Football Purist....

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

tfco
Eagle
Eagle

Post by tfco »

Brendan Rodgers?

hmm. That could work.

AFCON 2024 L-O-S-E-R-S

They did not CEDIS coming
Naira Did We :rotf: :rotf:

metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

tfco wrote:
danfo driver wrote:
tfco wrote:
metalalloy wrote:

We purists thank you for your services Arsene.
:rotf: :rotf:
I thought he was a neutralist? Abi na neutralized purist? :lol:

:D :D
if one has to go around proclaiming that one is a Football Purist....
We purists humbly request that you desist from derailing this thread.

TIA.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16