Morocco Bid 2026 Faces Challenges: Anti-LGBT & facilities

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle
Re: Morocco Bid 2026 Faces Challenges: Anti-LGBT & facilitie

Post by ohenhen1 »

I care

Nigerians will have a better experience if the world cup is held in Morocco.
Winners do it the right way.

http://www.weareimpact.com/livebroadcast.aspx
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

kajifu wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Morocco wins as a WC there would essentially be a European WC due to proximity and timezone. The Europeans run FIFA and I expect them to do what they can to have it there under the guise of giving a new country the chance to host it.

I'm not happy with the North American bid although it would be convenient for me and I live in Canada. You can't have a WC in 3 countries which happen to be 3 of the biggest countries in the world. It will not have the same ambience of a WC in 1 host country and following your country around will be a b*tch.

FIFA shouldn't allow more than 1 country to host a WC. I won't be upset if Morocco wins it as it would be fairly convenient to attend.
Why is Canada not going alone and bid for it?They have never been in the world cup chance to host, it
I think we only have 1-2 stadiums that are WC ready. We would need to build 5-6 new stadiums funded by taxpayers which I, nor many others, would support. I'm happy with the US or Mexico being the sole host but we joined this joint bid which I think is a joke.

Imagine having a WC with 48 teams in 3 big a** countries. FIFA has destroyed the WC.
Bell
Egg
Egg

Post by Bell »

IF MOROCCO DOESN'T MEET THIS REQUIREMENT...

...why even allow them to bid in the first place?
Bell
kalani JR
Egg
Egg

Post by kalani JR »

ohenhen1 wrote:I care

How did you even come to this conclusion?
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

kalani JR wrote:

1. Visa issues, will they issue Nigerians visa to travel to the US for the tournament.
2. Traveling costs between 3 countries. Size of North America.

Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

ohenhen1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

1. Visa issues, will they issue Nigerians visa to travel to the US for the tournament.
Abeg...Nigerians full Houston and Dallas....plus other major Metros across the U.S, Canada and Europe....North America is no different from a vast Russia who is hosting the current tournament.

North America is 9.5 million square mi ( Including Central America and Greenland) while Russia is 6.5m sq mi.

I see Canada having 3 venues, Mexico 2-3 and the USA having 6-10 stadiums.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

Abeg...Nigerians full Houston and Dallas....plus other major Metros across the U.S, Canada and Europe....North America is no different from a vast Russia who is hosting the current tournament.

North America is 9.5 million square mi ( Including Central America and Greenland) while Russia is 6.5m sq mi.

KPOM.

From what I recall in my previous reading of the plan, Canada and Mexico will only host some games in the first phase but all elimination round games will be in the USA.
The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Benedict Iroha wrote:
ohenhen1 wrote:
kalani JR wrote:

What about Nigerians that are in Nigeria?

kajifu
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by kajifu »

Heliopolis wrote:
kajifu wrote:
Heliopolis wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Morocco wins as a WC there would essentially be a European WC due to proximity and timezone. The Europeans run FIFA and I expect them to do what they can to have it there under the guise of giving a new country the chance to host it.

I'm not happy with the North American bid although it would be convenient for me and I live in Canada. You can't have a WC in 3 countries which happen to be 3 of the biggest countries in the world. It will not have the same ambience of a WC in 1 host country and following your country around will be a b*tch.

FIFA shouldn't allow more than 1 country to host a WC. I won't be upset if Morocco wins it as it would be fairly convenient to attend.
Why is Canada not going alone and bid for it?They have never been in the world cup chance to host, it
I think we only have 1-2 stadiums that are WC ready. We would need to build 5-6 new stadiums funded by taxpayers which I, nor many others, would support. I'm happy with the US or Mexico being the sole host but we joined this joint bid which I think is a joke.

Imagine having a WC with 48 teams in 3 big a** countries. FIFA has destroyed the WC.
Canada has money and should host it alone.This join bid with Mexico,is Mexico safe for people to travel for games?
USA should just host it alone
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

The difficulties of statistical thinking describes a puzzling limitation of our mind: our excessive confidence in what we believe we know, and our apparent inability to acknowledge the full extent of our ignorance and the uncertainty of the world we live in. We are prone to overestimate how much we understand about the world and to underestimate the role of chance in events -- Daniel Kahneman (2011), Winner of the Nobel Prize in Economics
ohsee
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by ohsee »

ohenhen1 wrote:This LGBT angle is a sick attempt to sway the vote. Are they saying if you don't value LGBT rights, you will never host the world cup. Which basically means more than half of the world population including Nigeria. LGBT community can still go to the World cup, just know you are there for the world cup, respect Moroccan law. Don't flaunt it in public. The local police will also relax the enforcement. Keep politics out of football. Play the game.

Morocco should have our support. Nigerians will have a better experience in Morocco than in the US, Canada and Mexico. Europeans will also have a better experience. I hear there are good vacations spots in Morocco. It is good to have new countries host it. Morocco will also spend 18 billion dollars on new stadiums, hotels and transportation. Morocco is part of Africa, part of the AU and are in the process of joining Ecowas. They are also a part of the new free trade agreement. Africans must support Africans.
Nna, I dey fear o! Is it a cold day in hell? Disregarding Man City's victory, has the moon turned blue? Is the world coming to an end? Every sentence ohenhen wrote above makes sense. :scared:
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Trump is now threatening any one that votes against the US lol.

Odas
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Odas »

Benedict Iroha wrote:But I still do not support Morocco.

Morocco voted against South Africa on their soccer world cup bid, they also voted against South Africa on their rugby world cup bid, they refused to host an African cup of Nations but hosted FIFA club world cup the same year because of Ebola.

Cry me a river with this African unity crap. Morocco once applied to join the E.U.

Hope North America wins...It will nice to visit Canada and Mexico.
Hmmm, looking at the points you listed - Chief Iroha - I just changed my mind. Thus, Morocco should lose this bid. "Karma is a biitch", they say.
And the BIBLE says: The race is NOT for the swift, neither is the battle for the strong nor ... but time and chance makes them all.
Ecclesiastes 1:18: For in much wisdom is much grief and he that increases knowledge increases sorrow.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

If Morocco loses, I think they have a case with CAS. The whole process is already tainted with Trump threatening political consequences if voters don't support the US bid.

Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Fifa secretary general reported to ethics chiefs over World Cup bid

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/43885958
By Richard Conway

One of Fifa's most senior executives, Fatma Samoura, has been reported to the organisation's powerful ethics committee.

Samoura, who was appointed secretary general of football's world governing body by its president Gianni Infantino in 2016, is accused of alleged breaches of its ethics code relating to "duty of disclosure, co-operation and reporting" and "conflicts of interest".

The claims stem from allegations relating to Morocco's bid to host the 2026 World Cup. The North African country wants to host the tournament but is up against a North American joint effort comprising Canada, the USA and Mexico.

Members of a Fifa World Cup evaluation taskforce - which recently visited the bidding countries - are said to have discovered an undeclared family link between Samoura - whose full name is Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura - and the former Liverpool forward El Hadji Diouf, who is working in an ambassadorial role for the Moroccan bid.

Both Samoura, 55, and Diouf are from Senegal. They are both now the subject of an ethics complaint.

A senior Fifa source has told BBC Sport the allegation is "tenuous", while Samoura said she is "fully aware of this upcoming complaint" and has "a good idea who is conveying this message".

She added: "The whole country of Senegal will laugh at Fifa Ethics... because everyone in my country knows the origin of El Hadji Diouf."

The same senior source, who wishes to remain anonymous, also alleges Infantino "encouraged" the evaluation taskforce to find evidence that could block Morocco's candidacy.

It is claimed Infantino was motivated to do this as he favours the rival North American bid given the enormous financial advantage it has over its African rival.

This is Morocco's fifth attempt to host the World Cup after making bids for the 1994, 1998, 2006 and 2010 finals

In response to the allegation a Fifa spokesperson told BBC Sport: "The bidding process for the 2026 Fifa World Cup has been designed to evaluate the bids against objective criteria and so avoid a return to the secret and subjective decisions of the past.

"The process is as fair, objective and transparent as it can get as demonstrated with the publication of the bid books, all bidding documents and the scoring system.

"The taskforce's assessment is guided by clear and objective criteria and its report will be made public to guarantee full transparency of the process. The Fifa president is not involved in this process and he will not take part in the vote of the congress. These are facts and not 'maybe' or gossip.

"Fifa has been heavily criticised for how it conducted the selection of hosts in the past. It was our obligation to learn from this and leave no room for any doubt or subjectivity.

"Anyone criticising this approach should be able to say if they would prefer a return to the old ways.

"Allegations of a defamatory nature are unacceptable, especially when they come in a middle of a bidding process when calm, sense of responsibility and respect should prevail."

Fifa president Gianni Infantino last month challenged anyone to find a more transparent or fairer bid process than that for the 2026 World Cup
The Fifa 2026 bid evaluation taskforce - which recently visited North American and Moroccan cities - includes Samoura's two deputies, Marco Villiger and former AC Milan player Zvonimir Boban.

Some Morocco bid supporters have suggested they are Infantino allies, and that that raises questions over the taskforce's impartiality and independence from the Fifa administration.

There are further concerns over claims the Morocco bid team were only told of some eligibility criteria hours before their bid document had to be submitted, potentially weakening their submission.

The bidding process comes with Fifa facing a financial shortfall following years of dealing with expensive legal bills resulting from a US Department of Justice investigation into corrupt executives. It has also struggled to attract major sponsors to this summer's World Cup in Russia.

In light of this, it is believed Infantino wants the North American bid to win given organisers' claims it will generate around $5bn (£3.58bn) in economic activity and $2.1bn (£1.5bn) in ticket revenue alone.

The Swiss-Italian could yet face the prospect of being placed under an ethics investigation himself concerning the allegation he attempted to interfere in the 2026 bidding process although there is no evidence that a complaint has been made.

Fifa's troubled past

The revelations come as the governing body is attempting to reform following a series of damaging political and financial scandals.

It culminated in police dawn raids at a luxury Zurich hotel in May 2015, the extradition of Fifa executives to face trials in the US and the eventual deposing of Sepp Blatter as the organisation's long-serving president.

The decision over whom to award the 2026 World Cup could also be plunged into doubt following the claims.

The 2026 tournament is set to be the first World Cup to be allocated since the controversial decision to grant the 2018 edition to Russia and 2022 to Qatar.

Those choices have been mired in controversy ever since and are the subject of several ongoing criminal investigations - for example, former Fifa president Sepp Blatter has suggested there was an agreement in place for Russia to host the 2018 tournament before the vote took place.

Fifa radically overhauled its voting procedures as a result of the Russia/Qatar process, taking power away from a small number of leading executives and placing it in the hands of its 211 member associations. It also promised enhanced clarity, transparency and fairness when awarding its marquee event.

Morocco's 2026 bid is gathering pace and is thought to stand a serious chance of winning the necessary 104 majority votes needed for victory.

A vote is scheduled to take place in Moscow on 13 June at Fifa's annual congress, with the North American countries and Morocco the only contenders.
Enugu II
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by Enugu II »

Unfriendly fire inside Fifa
http://www.josimar.no/artikler/unfriend ... fifa/4888/

Two senior Fifa officials, Marco Villiger and Tomaz Vesel, filed the false complaint against secretary general Fatma Samoura, a complaint that was dismissed by the ethics committee. The consequences could be severe, as FIFA’s code of ethics clearly states that filing false accusations is a serious violation.

By Pål Ødegård and Håvard Melnæs

The past week was crazy even by FIFA standards. Last Wednesday BBC revealed that FIFA’s ethics committee had received a complaint against secretary general Fatma Samoura from members of the 2026 World Cup bid evaluation task force. Samoura, who’s full name is Fatma Samba Diouf Samoura, was family related to fellow Senegalese El Hadji Diouf, the claim said. El Hadji Diouf, the former Liverpool forward and Senegal international, is now an ambassador for Morocco’s bid to host the 2026 World Cup. If such a relation was true, it would be a violation of the ethics code for Samoura not to disclose this fact, since it creates a possible conflict of interest.

However, there is no family relation between the two. Not only is Diouf a very common surname in Senegal. El Hadji Diouf was not even baptized Diouf, but as Diallo after his father Boubacar Diallo, also a famous former Senegalese footballer. Both publicly dismissed any family relations as ‘ridiculous’. And on Friday, the ethics committee issued a statement that Samoura would not be investigated, as the claims against her had ‘no substance’. But who filed the complaint? According our sources it was Marco Villiger, deputy secretary general of Fifa, and Tomaz Vesel, chairman of the independent audit & compliance committee.

Boomerang effect?
Now, why would two such high ranking FIFA officials file such a flimsy accusation? As BBC stated in their article when the story broke, FIFA president Gianni Infantino instructed the task force members to find something that could hurt the Moroccan bid. It is widely believed that Infantino prefers that the United bid of Canada, Mexico and the US.

Why they chose such an unfounded pretext, and why the secretary general’s removal by an ethics inquiry would hurt Morocco’s chances aren’t clear. An it is certainly not clear why high ranking FIFA officials would make such a reckless accusation against their “own” secretary general. According to experts in FIFA’s code of ethics Josimar have talked to, Vesel and Villiger should now find themselves in big trouble by the same code, where article 61.3 clearly states that:

“Any person who lodges a complaint against a person who he knows to be innocent, with the intent of harming this person, or in any other way takes malicious steps with the intent of harming this person who he knows to be innocent shall be sanctioned”.

The legal experts Josimar have talked to agree that if circumstances are as they appear, filing an accusation that is clearly not true, and so easy to fact-check, can be regarded as subject to this article. And considering their high-ranking positions and special roles on the inspection task force, a sanction against them ought to be quite severe; both Villiger and Vesel could be banned from football. And if the FIFA president turns out to be involved in a conspiracy against his own secretary general, that applies to him as well.

The question, however, is if the current ethics committee will pursue this matter at all. Since the controversial removal of the former chairmen at the FIFA congress in Bahrain last year, a move made by Gianni Infantino to stop at least one investigation against himself for meddling in local elections, the current committee has done little to portray confidence as an independent legal authority within the world governing body of football.

Another change from the former ethics committee administration is the lack of independent spokespersons. Cornel Borbély and Hans-Joachim Eckert each had their respective spokesperson so they wouldn’t have to rely on FIFA’s own media department to handle press inquiries and hand out statements, hence giving credibility to their independence. This is not the case with the current ethics committee. Josimar contacted Tomaz Vesel, chairman of the audit & compliance committee, who responded with “I know why you’re contacting me”. When we asked him if he had filed the complaint against Fatma Samoura, he said we had to ask the questions to FIFA’s media department. This magazine sent the following questions to FIFA:

Who filed the complaint against Samoura?

If you file a complaint that turns out to contain false accusations, can this or those person(s) who filed the complaint be subject to an investigation by the ethics committee?

Fifa answered the following:

“In accordance with article 36.2 of the FIFA Code of Ethics and in reaction to information circulating concerning the FIFA Secretary General, the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee would like to state the following:

Following a report concerning an alleged undisclosed family link between FIFA Secretary General Fatma Samoura and the ambassador of the Morocco 2026 FIFA World Cup bid El Hadji Diouf, the investigatory chamber of the Ethics committee has conducted a preliminary review of the facts. After this analysis it became clear that the allegations brought forward had no substance and that no such family link exists between Ms Samoura and Mr Diouf. Therefore the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee has decided to close the case.”

So much for answering the questions. But then again, this is a typical Fifa response.

Conflicting interests
The false accusation against Fatma Samoura might have significant ramifications for the integrity of the 2026 World Cup bid process, not to mention another broadside to Gianni Infantino’s so-called cleaned up FIFA. As this magazine wrote last week, the inspection task force assigned to assess the bids between the ‘United’ bid consisting of USA, Mexico and Canada, and Morocco, already suffer from several doubts about their impartiality in this task. The five-man task force came along with amendments of the bidding regulations during a FIFA bureau meeting in October last year, and was ratified by the FIFA council during their session in Kolkata, India later the same month. The bureau of the council consists of the FIFA president, along with the presidents of each confederation. By then, Morocco had already announced they would challenge the ‘United’ bid to host the 2026 World Cup. This was not the case earlier that year during the FIFA congress in Bahrain in May, where the ‘United’ bid team hoped to get awarded the rights by default. Infantino, however, must have been concerned that giving them [Morocco] the rights without due process would look bad, and insisted that others had until the 11th of August 2017 to present a bid. Former US federation president Sunil Gulati was said to be livid, but after all, who could come up with a credible bid to rival them before the imminent deadline?

They never saw Morocco coming.

Could this have influenced who were selected to be on the inspection task force, in order to disqualify the Moroccan bid? It certainly seems so now, as the Samoura ethics complaint followed alterations to the bid requirements just hours before the deadline to present the bid books, alterations that were not in favour of the Moroccan bid. When the Moroccans objected to this, FIFA replied that the alterations was to ‘secure a fair bid process’ and that it did not want ‘unsustainable white elephant stadiums’ for its 2026 World Cup. This view clearly favours the ‘United’ bid, who have most of their stadiums ready, while Morocco have to build or upgrade all of theirs. For Morocco, the reply from FIFA was seen as another indication that FIFA was working against their bid.
Last edited by Enugu II on Fri May 04, 2018 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Curve whiz
Egg
Egg

Post by Curve whiz »

These two Fifa executives and infantino should resign over this smear allegations against Fatma, Morocco and Africa. Shame on them. Morocco would be a better host than the ghettos in North America where you can be gunned down anytime.
airwolex
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by airwolex »

Fifa should just say they want to give it to the states and be done with it. Morocco is a muslim country and they won't change, world cup or no world cup.
Heliopolis
Egg
Egg

Post by Heliopolis »

You guys are being way too analytical about this. FIFA will bend over backwards to award the WC to the bidder that bribes them the most. You need not look further than some of the most recent hosts. I expect Morocco to win this due to the benefits to UEFA. Also, the North Americans are unlikely to be willing to engage in the FIFA bribery shenanigans whereas the Moroccans will see it as a normal business practice.
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

Heliopolis wrote:You guys are being way too analytical about this. FIFA will bend over backwards to award the WC to the bidder that bribes them the most. You need not look further than some of the most recent hosts. I expect Morocco to win this due to the benefits to UEFA. Also, the North Americans are unlikely to be willing to engage in the FIFA bribery shenanigans whereas the Moroccans will see it as a normal business practice.

Morocco will win the bid fair and square. No need to bribe anyone.

felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

The most attended WC in history was USA ‘94. Followed by Brazil ‘14, then Germany ‘06. I’d leave u guys to figure out where the $$$ and attendance will be. I like the Morocco bid cause they actually have the interest. 70% (more like 97%) Canadians don’t even know they’re bidding, the cities will easily pullout if it burst their budgets. There’s a lot more interest in d US but they won’t break some sweat to win it and Mexico would be glad to have it especially if the other two are doing the heavy lifting.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
felarey
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by felarey »

Heliopolis wrote:You guys are being way too analytical about this. FIFA will bend over backwards to award the WC to the bidder that bribes them the most. You need not look further than some of the most recent hosts. I expect Morocco to win this due to the benefits to UEFA. Also, the North Americans are unlikely to be willing to engage in the FIFA bribery shenanigans whereas the Moroccans will see it as a normal business practice.
It’s North America’s to lose. We’re not likely to go from Russia to Qatar to Morocco. Forget Europe supporting Morocco. They have better chances with Asia and Africa. Sub Sahara and Southern Africa are not guaranteed and Morocco themselves haven’t closed ranks with Africans in the past.
"Winning one trophy is good, I tell you. No matter what trophy it might be, you've got to take it.” - Sir Alex Ferguson

ENGLISH PREMIERSHIP CHAMP20NS, UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINN3RS
ohenhen1
Flying Eagle
Flying Eagle

Post by ohenhen1 »

The path to victory is clear for Morocco that is why FIFA and Trump are worried. Trump is now threatening countries. FIFA execs are making false claims.

Africa must remain united. The Americans didn't vote for South Africa bid for the 2010 world cup. Why should abandon one of our members and support the US?

If Africans don't unite and support Morocco, it will cause long term damage to our voting power in FIFA. Lets say in 10 years Ethiopia will want to host the World cup. Morocco won't vote for Ethiopia citing the lack of support for the 2026 world cup. It will be extremely dumb for Africans not to support Morocco.

Africa block vote is 54.

Asia which includes the middle East usually votes with Africa.

Europe is divided. Russia has already said they will be voting for Morocco. We don't know what France will do. But they are saying they are voting for Morocco. If Morocco can get 10 UEFA countries which is possible. The vote will not be close.

South America is voting for Morocco. They are not happy with the FBI investigation. I know Brazil, Bolivia, and Venezuela are not voting for the US.

Some Concacaf countries like Cuba, TNT are voting for Morocco.

Bidding countries can't vote. That means 3 countries from Concacaf will not vote. While one from CAF will not vote.