HOME STRETCH TO THE SE FINAL 23

Where Eagles dare! Discuss Nigerian related football (soccer) topics here.

Moderators: Moderator Team, phpBB2 - Administrators

vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet
HOME STRETCH TO THE SE FINAL 23

Post by vancity eagle »

This thread is a strategic look to how the final 23 for Russia should be chosen. No sentiments or feelings, just 100% what is best for us to do as well as possible in Nigeria.

Now I would say that there should be 2 spots for each position on the field, but with 3 goalies of course. You basically have your first 11, your second 11, and an extra keeper.

However due to the fact that we have numerous players who can fill a variety of positions, (Aina LB or RB, Shehu RB or DM, Iwobi W or AM) this gives us a little flexibility and I think it is best that we do not have 2 players for each position in every case but can use an extra spot on a forward or wide player.

GOALKEEPER

As far as I am concerned Enyeama must be called to the 35 man camp, and if the coaches feel he has something to offer, he goes to Russia. Goalkeeper is one of the positions where you need the most experience, and the WC is not for kids. Uzoho is definitely for the future, but I will feel safer with Enyeama. Ezenwa is injured for how long ? Akpeyi is just garbage. Can Aiyenugba make a late push. I would say we go with the following.

ENYEAMA, UZOHO, EZENWA but perhaps Aiyenugba can prove himself better than Ezenwa.

DEFENCE

The defence pretty much picks itself, unless we get a later German recruit which seems very unlikely at this point. Barring injury at CB it is

BALOGUN, TROOST, AWAZIEM, OMERUO. Nothing else to discuss here.

the wingbacks. IMO barring injury there is no argument here. Echiejele should be the odd man out here for 2 reasons. He is playing at the lowest level, and also does not give us the versatility of Aina who can play both LB and RB or Shehu RB or DM, and he is just not as good as Idowu, who is not only playing at a much higher level, but is also at home in Russia, and can serve as the team translator in Russia. THis is key. I am sorry but Elderson is the easy man out here. It is not even worth thinking about.

SHEHU, EBUEHI, IDOWU, AINA

MIDFIELD

Usually I would say we need to take 6 midfielders, however I think we may be able to get away with taking 5 because we have SHehu which will make our total to 6 anyways, and we also have Iwobi who can play as an AM. So if we take 5 out and out midfielders we will still have 7 players who can play midfield roles. I feel this is necessary as we can afford an extra striker/wide forward player.

Midfields spots will be hard to budge as we have guaranteed locks in

MIKEL, NDIDI, ONAZI, ETEBO

fighting for one spot is Joel, Ogu, Mikel Agu, Azuibikwe Okechukwu,

Shehu is starting in midfield ahead of Mikel agu at Buraspor. Agu is a definite no. IMO Joel Obi makes the cut, the only question is his injury record. I am also a little torn to drop Ogu, but I feel we could use an extra attacker instead, especially if Onyekuru makes a return. So for me it is

MIKEL, NDIDI, ONAZI, ETEBO, JOEL with SHEHU and IWOBI also taking up other squad positions able to play in midfield

WIDE FORWARDS

4 players to choose here with a possible extra spot made possible by taking 5 midfield positions

IWOBI, MOSES, SIMON are untouchable at this point. I am not a fan of Musa but he has a few things in his favour.

1. He plays and is comfortable in Russia
2. He is fit and many wide players are unfit or barely coming back to fitness (Bazee, Success, Onyekuru)
3. He has been a part of the squad for some time
4. He offers blistering pace, however both Moses Simon and Onyekuru do offer the same plus more upside.

As it stands now I think Musa goes to Russia, unless in camp a player can clearly prove that he belongs in his place. Remember that according to my plan we will have an extra spot for either a striker or wide player.

So the challengers to Musa are

Success - I think he is just not in shape and will have to wait for ANC 19
Bazee - Have watched him on as a sub on 2 occasions and does not seem fully fit
Onyekuru - we are all rooting for him, but how will his fitness be
Ezekiel Imo - looks allright but isn't playing much. Really don't know if I would choose him over Musa

to be honest I would invite all 4 of these players to camp to access. I would give them all maximum playing time (1 half each) against DR Congo If any one of these players can prove their fitness and show that they will give SE more than Musa, then I will drop Musa, but as of now its

IWOBI, MOSES, SIMON, MUSA with a watchful eye on Oneykuru's recovery

STRIKERS

With two spots there is really no discussion.

KELECHI, IGHALO

EXTRA SPOT

If we do decide to drop a midfielder (John Ogu) I would suggest we look at Sadiq Umar who is on a hot streak scoring goals in the dutch league. Also if Onyekuru gets healthy and back to form, or if Bazee or someone else can prove his worth we could take an extra wide player.

So its either SADIQ UMAR, or one of MUSA, ONYEKURU, BAZEE

FINAL 23

1. ENYEAMA
2. UZOHO
3. EZENWA
4. EBUEHI
5. SHEHU
6. AINA
7. IDOWU
8. TROOST
9. BALOGUN
10. AWAZIEM
11. OMERUO
12. MIKEL
13. NDIDI
14. ONAZI
15. ETEBO
16. JOEL OBI
17. VICTOR MOSES
18. SIMON MOSES
19. IWOBI
20. MUSA/ONYEKURU
21. IGHALO
22. IHEANACHO
23. SADIQ UMAR
9jaMan
Egg
Egg
Re: HOME STRETCH TO THE SE FINAL 23

Post by 9jaMan »

Moses Simon is junk with a Capital J, Rohr should be jailed for his invitation of players like akpeyi, Simon and Agbo.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Simon isn't that bad.

He is basically an upgraded version of Musa.

Both fast diminutive players, but Simon is more tricky on the ball and has free kick ability.

I think our squad has room for one of these players, but not both, and Simon is clearly the better of the 2.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA »

9jaMan wrote:Moses Simon is junk with a Capital J, Rohr should be jailed for his invitation of players like akpeyi, Simon and Agbo.

Ask the Cameroonians about Simon before u start typing rabbish here.
OCCUPY NFF!!
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

Lol.. your list is just based in sentiments.
Enyeama is going nowhere. He retired from International football on his own. He has never indicated any interest to return and he is more or less clubless and inactive.

We all like Etebo's work rate but I think John Ogu is ahead of him
Musa is already in the final 23, no arguments about that. Onyekuru is going nowhere.
Echiejiele may be playing in a lower league but his experience may be needed.
Tyrone Ebuehi may not make it to Russia.
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
naijaguy
Egg
Egg

Post by naijaguy »

9jaMan wrote:Moses Simon is junk with a Capital J, Rohr should be jailed for his invitation of players like akpeyi, Simon and Agbo.
Lol.. Simon is already in Russia.. There's nothing you can do about that. You probably need to improve on how you watch football. Unless of course you are an agent :rotf:
I am just and Ordinary guy being used by an extraordinary God.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

naijaguy wrote:
Lol.. Simon is already in Russia.. There's nothing you can do about that. You probably need to improve on how you watch football. Unless of course you are an agent :rotf:
The man needs new glasses when watching YouTube videos :laugh:
OCCUPY NFF!!
tunde72
Egg
Egg

Post by tunde72 »

Your list seems more like it with the exemption of Vincent whom i wish we can take to the dance. Musa is going and seriously i do not think Rohr will be comfortable to drop Ogu for Joel because of his injury episode. How i wish we can take Umar. He is good strong and can destroy any team on his good day. But your listing surely got almost all the players needed. But i fear for Aina sha.
YOU CAN ACHIEVE MORE ON YOUR KNEE THAN SPEAKING.
ogiso
Egg
Egg

Post by ogiso »

I think it will be foolhardy to take Enyeama who has not played for yonks, despite his experience. Experience did not compensate for Rufai’s lack of match sharpness in 1998. I will rather take a chance with Aiyenugba who is a competent enough experienced and active goalkeeper, along with Uzoho and Ezenwa. My other big concern is creativity - without Mikel we are so bland and unimaginative. I would like too see a creative wildcard. Who? I know not who! Any suggestions?
aruako1
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by aruako1 »

Good list and objective write up. Has someone kidnapped Vancity?
Benedict Iroha
Egg
Egg

Post by Benedict Iroha »

Simon out Onyekuru in....We need talents.
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Benedict Iroha wrote:Simon out Onyekuru in....We need talents.
I don't understand why people are targeting Simon.

Simon is easily better than Musa, and Rohr has always chosen him over Musa in qualifying matches.

There is not one part of the game that Musa is better than Simon in.

Simon is just as fast as Musa but not nearly as clueless. He is much better on the ball. More creative in the box.

Musa is the first to go should another wide player step up to the plate.
Obong
Egg
Egg

Post by Obong »

VE, you about nail the final 23. However, I believe Musa and Simon are un-dropable. Rohr is largely a conservative coach and will rather reward a loyal soldier with a spot than brinv in a new player, except if that player is exceptional and provides a probable solution to an area of need. That position liikely allows Enyeama, Joel Obi and Sadie to make the final squad. Rohr also likes John Ogu and it will Be interesting how he squares out the midfield. I fear for Aina and Ebuehi. One of them will be dropped because of the aforementioned loyalty factor by Rohr that will put Echiejilie on the plane.
"WE ARE THE SUPER EAGLES!!!"
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

Putting Echijele on the plane is about the dumbest thing Rohr can do, along with bringing Akpeyi.

There is simply no plus side in bringing Elderson over any of the other players who are all

Younger
Better
Playing more consistently
Playing at a higher level

And more versatile.
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

So on a 35 man provisional roster, you would dedicate 7 spots for the wide attacking players?

Not going to happen.

Other than that, good piece. Our final 23 will look something like this.
metalalloy
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by metalalloy »

aruako1 wrote:Good list and objective write up. Has someone kidnapped Vancity?

Solid write up. his posts are usually pretty objective with just one or two controversial positions.
We have been brainwashed by the Premier League that it's the best in the world. Nonsense. It's the best brand
Roy Keane: ITV 02/25/14

He says that we are currently "brainwashed" into believing that the Premier League is the best competition in the world, and that we are now a long way off dominating the Champions League again.
Gary Neville: Mirror: 12/23/14

I think Spain’s by far the best league.
Scholes. UK Guardian 9/6/16
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

mystic wrote:So on a 35 man provisional roster, you would dedicate 7 spots for the wide attacking players?

Not going to happen.

Why not ?

If there are 4 spots in 23 why not 7 in 35

We should focus on problem areas and areas where we can improve and wide attackers is certainly the area with the greatest potential to improve.

The Defence is completely settled. There should be a few extra defenders mainly in case of injury, but there are no secrets there.
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

Ogu and Echiejele are both going to Russia. Fact! :thumb:
OCCUPY NFF!!
mystic
Egg
Egg

Post by mystic »

vancity eagle wrote:
mystic wrote:So on a 35 man provisional roster, you would dedicate 7 spots for the wide attacking players?

Not going to happen.

Why not ?

We should focus on problem areas and areas where we can improve and wide attackers is certainly the area with the greatest potential to improve.

The Defence is completely settled. There should be a few extra defenders mainly in case of injury, but there are no secrets there.

If you have an injury or two after the 35 man roster has been set; and the injury or injuries occur at a position where you've left yourself short as a result of devoting 7 slots to wide forwards, then what?
highbury
Egg
Egg

Post by highbury »

Abeg, make una go and work. :rotf:
EMIR KONGI JAFFI JOFFA
Eaglet
Eaglet

mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Not going to happen.

Why not ?

If you have an injury or two after the 35 man roster has been set; and the injury or injuries occur at a position where you've left yourself short as a result of devoting 7 slots to wide forwards, then what?
Kpom! God forbid Ndidi gets injured and u need a physical presence at DM. We’d have no choice but to play mikel at DM. There goes your attacking game . This is why yamtubers don’t pick good teams.
OCCUPY NFF!!
smartbrother
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by smartbrother »

we have no control over the final 23
all we can do is wait and see
but Umar and Azubuike deserve a look
vancity eagle
Eaglet
Eaglet

Post by vancity eagle »

mystic wrote:
vancity eagle wrote:

Not going to happen.

Why not ?

You realize that 4/23 and 7/35 are virtually the same ratio, so your argument makes no sense at all. 7 is the perfect amount.